Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Compulsive Spenders?
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 05:35 PM UTC
yoda,
thats where careful planning comes into play
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 01:53 AM UTC
I have a thing.....really a medical condition...If I see something nice, I MUST, MUST have it! :-) :-)
lightningdon
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 02:36 AM UTC
Yodaman,
Sourkraut sees my point. You only make a few purchases each year online. I placed an order yesterday for 10 kits($175). Shipping is only $6.99. I saved @ $ 45 over the prices at my local hobby shop! Also, no taxes online so saved 5% more! This method won't work if you only buy 1 or 2 kits at a time. The only time I buy a kit locally is if it is for a gift for someone else, or a car model. My local shop sells 1/25 car kits cheaper than anywhere online.

Don
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
The only problem with that is I don't think my parents would let me buy $175 worth of models online..... Someone wanna explain the value of that to them?

YodaMan
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 05:53 AM UTC
Damn, am I the only one that can obtain pleasure with only single kit on the shelf.

A week or four ago I announced my return to the hobby to my wife. I Scared my wife to death becouse I announced my drive to a local shop to buy me a plane........

When I got home she was very relieved to see that I only bought 1 single kit. For whatever reason she just gave me a kiss on the cheek.

That's how our hobby can also be........

The story continued when I showed her the 25 cans of paint, the compressor, the airbrush, 5 different sorts of glue, a wooden plate that would be the new workbench, and the announcement that some square meters of the interior of the house were now under occupation of the Eagle-Army........

I got something else from her when I told her my wishings for fathersday.........

But.......I only bought 1 single kit.....

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 06:37 AM UTC
Went to the hobby shop today and walked away with a Verlinden Hummer update set for $20 and the Kirin M1A1/A2 Engine for $15. Addictive, isn't it?
Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 179 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Went to the hobby shop today and walked away with a Verlinden Hummer update set for $20 and the Kirin M1A1/A2 Engine for $15. Addictive, isn't it?

Sabot, that is definitely an understatement. :-) I don't know why I'm laughing though, I just spent $30.

Mark
lightningdon
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
Yodaman, tell your parents that modeling keeps you safe at home. Tell them you could be out drinking or smoking dope and that would cost you more than the $175 you spend on kits! I tell my wife I could be at the bar or strip joint like a lot of guys do.
Don
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 10:01 AM UTC
i dont think there are any women that can argue that point
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gosh, am I the only one that can obtain pleasure with only single kit on the shelf.

A week or four ago I announced my return to the hobby to my wife. I Scared my wife to death becouse I announced my drive to a local shop to buy me a plane........

When I got home she was very relieved to see that I only bought 1 single kit. For whatever reason she just gave me a kiss on the cheek.

That's how our hobby can also be........

The story continued when I showed her the 25 cans of paint, the compressor, the airbrush, 5 different sorts of glue, a wooden plate that would be the new workbench, and the announcement that some square meters of the interior of the house were now under occupation of the Eagle-Army........

I got something else from her when I told her my wishings for fathersday.........

But.......I only bought 1 single kit.....

Does anyone else here think that the timing on this post is extremely funny?
I can't stop laughing.... :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

YodaMan
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 08:05 PM UTC
i was just wondering what kit it was?
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 08:41 PM UTC
I think Eagle got an F-15. From his other posts, he said he's an aircraft modeler.

You know, from now on I think I'll have to limit how much money I bring with me to the hobby store. As I don't have a checking account or a credit card, it seems to be the only way to avoid buying a half-dozen kits whenever stop at Hobby Lobby. Of course, when I eventually get married that will help control my buying habits.... (or hinder them, depending on how you look at it)

YodaMan
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 08:48 PM UTC
Ebay and on-line shopping are Killers. My wife now just rolls her eyes when the mail is delivered. It's an addiction
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 08:49 PM UTC
[quote]I think Eagle got an F-15. From his other posts, he said he's an aircraft modeler.

You know, from now on I think I'll have to limit how much money I bring with me to the hobby store. As I don't have a checking account or a credit card, it seems to be the only way to avoid buying a half-dozen kits whenever stop at Hobby Lobby. Of course, when I eventually get married that will help control my buying habits.... (or hinder them, depending on how you look at it)

no it wont you will just learn to lie about it
lightningdon
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

no it wont you will just learn to lie about it

LMAO! :-) :-) :-) :-)
That is SOOOOO true! My wife got a job that keeps her about 30 minutes behind me getting home. Now I have time to take packages to the shop and stash 'em! When she finally sees a new item, she'll ask where it came from and I just say, " Oh, I've had that for a while".
Don
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is SOOOOO true! My wife got a job that keeps her about 30 minutes behind me getting home. Now I have time to take packages to the shop and stash 'em! When she finally sees a new item, she'll ask where it came from and I just say, " Oh, I've had that for a while".

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one that does this.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 03:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Both the wife and I play that game from time to time too...

Gunnie
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 05:47 AM UTC
This doesn´t sound good at all. I was hoping that there was at least someone married who´s other half at least accepts things that are obviously impossible to understand! Like model kits and building them. I feel the situation wrong if I must lie or stash stuff to cover my back. Then again, I only have a couple of things of my own. Models are one of them. That´s the area I don´t want to be intruded, as long as it keeps in reasonable amounts. Of course, my "reasonable" is a bit different one from hers...
I have just a little space to work so I try to limit the amount of in-production dios to two. One to build, the other one to plan
I just summed up the money that went in my Schwimmie dio. 60 euros, including Tamiya Schwimmie, Royal Model resin streetlight, Hornet head and hands and Andrea civilian figure. Only compulsive parts were the Hornet resins. The time used so far: 50 hours. In the end it will be less than 1 euro/hour...
Well worth the money.

Toni the husband
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 05:52 AM UTC
my wife really doesnt mind it,just that sometimes i spend to much money on it
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC
Oh, that´s nice for her...
I´m just a bit depressed of having to explain that I´ll rather stay up late than sleep enough and that I NEED THIS STUFF!
Signs of classic addiction...including both modeling and Armorama.

Toni
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ditto guys.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

my wife really doesnt mind it, just that sometimes i spend to much money on it

Sounds like me exactly.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This doesn´t sound good at all. I was hoping that there was at least someone married who´s other half at least accepts things that are obviously impossible to understand! Like model kits and building them. I feel the situation wrong if I must lie or stash stuff to cover my back.

I hope that my posts in previous threads were clear about my wife. My wife is as supportive of my addiction as any woman can be, when she really doesn't understand why I need to do it. She doesn't understand, but she allows me time and resources to pursue my hobby. While she is obligated by the Female Spousal Regulations (FSRs) to roll her eyes and protest my 'investments', she only minimally meets the requirements, and usually does so gently. She recognizes that I could have far more intrusive or less visible hobbies, and is even happy that I am sharing it with my kids (boys now, girl in a few years...wife may not be expecting this, but I'm no sexist! ). Being in the Model Dungeon is far preferable to a lot of other things I could do. I am blessed, in many ways, and despite the maintenance she requires I am glad to have her!
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 07:17 PM UTC
Lately my weakness has been e-bay....wife is not really sure exactly how much I buy though because she works 3rd shift and is sleeping when the packages arrive. I come home from work and they are sitting on the porch. So I snatch them up and stick them in the basement with the rest of my stash and she is none the wiser :-)
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 09:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lately my weakness has been e-bay....wife is not really sure exactly how much I buy though because she works 3rd shift and is sleeping when the packages arrive. I come home from work and they are sitting on the porch. So I snatch them up and stick them in the basement with the rest of my stash and she is none the wiser :-)

what a tangled web we weave.