Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Compulsive Spenders?
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 10:46 PM UTC
I also typically arrive home before my wife, so I have time to sneak the latest "irresistable sale item" into the house, on those rare occasions when she arrives home before me I usually just leave the item in the trunk, and sneak it in after she goes to bed. This plan is further complicated by a four-year old that has suddenly developed no compunction toward reporting every movement or purchase. So now I have to sneak to the hobby store before picking him up from day care, making said purchase (cash only please), picking him up, and sneaking said item into the house, where it can live anonomously amonst its friends.

Sounds bad, doesn't it?

I actually spend very little on the hobby, and don't waste money if I can avoid it. If you added it all up at this point, I probably spend less that $150 a year. Not a big deal, but there's no sense in poking the Tiger. Besides, she has her own little foibles. . .once got a haircut she HATED, I asked "So how much did you pay?" answer: "$30, well, $35 after tip" "You tipped $5 on a haircut that you hate." "Well, you have to tip." Adopted a don't ask, don't tell policy after that. She can tip talentless hairdressers, and I can sneak in the odd kit or two. File it all under "Entertainment" on the budget. . .
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I probably spend less that $150 a year.

..." ".....
Wha????
I've spent almost twice that in the past 3 months!!! Eek. Tell me how you do it!

YodaMan
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:26 PM UTC
I have had to narrow my modeling focus, as I had collected more kits over teh last 30+ years than I could ever build. I have been selling some kits and that has supported some of my more recent purchases. My wife doesn't really mind as modeling keeps me at home and I have gotten two of my kids into it.

Now I can control myself pretty well at the local hobby stores and even on line. The vendor area at model shows is another story all together. I can find all kinds of kits and accessories at good prices and can't resist.. It is probably good that I can't afford to travel to AMPS or IPMS Nationals

Jeff
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 171 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 02:00 AM UTC
I suffer from this same disease Yoda!!! I can never just buy one kit, or one set of etched brass; one bottle of paint, or one tube of glue.... I had to cancel my credit card for such reasons. I have enough kits, paints, glues, etc. to last me twenty years. Just as my quote states: So many kits, so little time!!!!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 02:05 AM UTC
I planned to go to Hobby Lobby today to get some popsicle sticks (to make my own sanding sticks), super glue and a bottle of white paint (and black paint)........ :-)
You know what? I succeded! I bought only a bottle of super glue, some popsicle sticks and a jar of white paint!!! Maybe I'll go to the other model shop to celebrate!...

YodaMan
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

..." ".....
Wha????
I've spent almost twice that in the past 3 months!!! Eek. Tell me how you do it!

I'm very selective Yoda, and I don't live near well stocked hobby shops - Hobby Lobby is about as exotic as I get without driving for an hour. I've been through the 'have to buy it NOW' stage with cars and planes, and I've got boxes full of both hiding under the stairs. I also started when an expensive kit was $10, and that has somehow stuck in my brain as a benchmark. I think the fear of screwing up a $50 kit would absolutely paralyze me.

I also don't have an airbrush or compressor yet, and don't mess with PE, new track, turned barrels, etc. YET. :-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quote:

..." ".....
Wha????

I'm very selective Yoda, and I don't live near well stocked hobby shops - Hobby Lobby is about as exotic as I get without driving for an hour. I've been through the 'have to buy it NOW' stage with cars and planes, and I've got boxes full of both hiding under the stairs. I also started when an expensive kit was $10, and that has somehow stuck in my brain as a benchmark. I think the fear of screwing up a $50 kit would absolutely paralyze me.

I also don't have an airbrush or compressor yet, and don't mess with PE, new track, turned barrels, etc. YET. :-)

Paul, you are right, not living near a well stocked hobby shop has advantages. I live 10 minutes away from a very well stocked ARMOR hobby shop. Tristar, yes, the same one makes the German Pz crew as you see at the back of AFV modellers magazine, and 2 minutes away from DML's flagship shop. And they are on the route when I return from work...so I have really to restrain myself every single day not wandering into them.

Another thing, the "bring your girlfriend/wife to the shop to control the spending" doesn't work on me either. Since I am a friend of both shop owner now, so I can just secretly talk to him at the side and ask him to hold things for me that I will go back to pay later...oh well....
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 05:15 PM UTC
for me the problem is not buying kits but all the little stuff i need to finish a kit
Doppler
Visit this Community
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 05:51 PM UTC
I don't know how you all do it. I HAVE NO HOBBY SHOP. Yes, and in all capitals letters, too.

Where I live now has nothing. I have to travel an hour to get to my nearest hobby shop. Even being stationed in Brunswick, the Navy base has no Hobby Shop. I have to travel to, get this, a Crafts Store for my modelling needs and again, it's an hour away.

So, for me it's all internet. But every so often I make it to that Crafts Store and then I purchase easily 4 or 5 kits at once. Of course the selection is small and is between the dried flowers and needlepoint, but at least it is something.

I wish I had the problem of a Hobby Shop near me. Sigh.

sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 02:27 AM UTC
well i have 4 hobby shops near me and i still order most of my stuff off the internet,mainly because they dont have what i want and would have to special order it
lightningdon
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
entire network: 79 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 07:30 AM UTC
My local hobby shop doesn't carry many armor kits. He has a lot of 1/25 cars and all scales of planes. His major catagories are train stuff, coins, cards, and NASCAR stuff. He will special order me stuff when I want it. At least I can get all the paints, glues, and stuff I need from him. So all my armor kits are bought online.( usually Hobbyland)
Don
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 08:42 PM UTC
i know exactly what i want befor i go to the hobby shop and 9 times out of 10 they dont have what i am looking for
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 09:43 PM UTC
#:-) #:-) Compulsive Spending ??!! Is'nt there a place for people like you?? You Know Something like AA meetings He-He-He !!

DAGGER-1 "When Science Fails, Brute Force Wins"
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 09:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

#:-) #:-) Compulsive Spending ??!! Is'nt there a place for people like you?? You Know Something like AA meetings He-He-He !!

and suppose you are immune from the sickness
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:03 PM UTC
#:-) #:-) ABSOLUTELY.........................".NOT" I know I just have to think my way thru what I REALLY want next over the at least three or four different projects that I want next. Right Now there is an ITALERI M-60 at the local hobby shop that's calling out to me to come and buy it

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Right Now there is an ITALERI M-60 at the local hobby shop that's calling out to me to come and buy it

The same thing is happening to me with an Italeri M7 Preist at Hobby Lobby. It's only $35...... I'll be good with my wallet the next time I go.

YodaMan
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i know exactly what i want befor i go to the hobby shop and 9 times out of 10 they dont have what i am looking for

That's my main problem because I can't leave a hobby shop with nothing, so I buy something else. I know I'm a compulsive kit buyer.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Right Now there is an ITALERI M-60 at the local hobby shop that's calling out to me to come and buy it

The same thing is happening to me with an Italeri M7 Preist at Hobby Lobby. It's only $35...... I'll be good with my wallet the next time I go.

YodaMan

35 Dollars, That's how much the kit that ' I WANT IT' "I WANT IT" Oh Uh... sorry... Lost my head there for a moment anyway $35 is what the M-60 that wants me to come and buy it costs. He-He-He.

sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

YodaMan

35 Dollars, That's how much the kit that ' I WANT IT' "I WANT IT" Oh Uh... sorry... Lost my head there for a moment anyway $35 is what the M-60 that wants me to come and buy it costs. He-He-He.

go for it
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 11:08 AM UTC
I think I'll wait a week or two... I've been on kind of a spending spree lately... First the air compressor, then the airbrush, then about another 4 model kits, then a real nice digital camera.... and add to it the 100 bucks or so I've spent on plants in the past month...

YodaMan
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 05:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I'll wait a week or two... I've been on kind of a spending spree lately... First the air compressor, then the airbrush, then about another 4 model kits, then a real nice digital camera.... and add to it the 100 bucks or so I've spent on plants in the past month...

YodaMan

sound like you got enough to keep you busy for a while.by the way what are the plants for
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 06:05 PM UTC
My thing is aside from the kits I really want, and the people whom work in the Hobby Shop that I go all the times are very very nice, answer all kinds of questions things like that. So I feel that I am obligated to buy something everytime I go there.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

by the way what are the plants for

They look nice!

Quoted Text

Hobby Shop that I go all the times are very very nice, answer all kinds of questions things like that

That must be nice! Whenever I go to a hobby shop and I have a question, they just look at me like I'm crazy. Well, that's at the Hobby Lobby anyway... at the privately owned hobby shop the guys are a bit more friendly. The only thing is, the guys at the hobby shop are into trains and r/c stuff....

YodaMan
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 09:41 PM UTC
#:-) YODAMAN:
Well that explains it. Sounds like you have the short end of the deal; Between Hobby lobby which is a nice place to buy some model kits; But totally lack any knowledgeable people; And then you have your private hobby shop that as you said works mostly in trains; And knows absolutely nothing about Modeling; Yep definately the short end of the stick. Sounds like you need SQUADRON MAIL as your hobby shop and of course heere for your questions. BUT THEN I'M SURE YOU ALREADY KNEW THIS( He-He-He)

sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2002 - 06:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

#:-) YODAMAN:
Well that explains it. Sounds like you have the short end of the deal; Between Hobby lobby which is a nice place to buy some model kits; But totally lack any knowledgeable people; And then you have your private hobby shop that as you said works mostly in trains; And knows absolutely nothing about Modeling; Yep definately the short end of the stick. Sounds like you need SQUADRON MAIL as your hobby shop and of course heere for your questions. BUT THEN I'M SURE YOU ALREADY KNEW THIS( He-He-He)
sound like a plan