_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Computer games
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:58 AM UTC
Whatcha playing? Do you use a joystick? Analog or digital? Any game recommendations? BTW, this thread is not limited solely on PC games, but also XBox, PS, PS2, GameCube, Gameboy, etc. etc. ad nauseum. :-)

Me: Favorite game right now is Steel Beasts. Wait a minute, did I say "game?" I meant TANK SIM! It's a tank simulator wherein you get to command several platoons of M1A1s, M2/M3 Bradleys, M113s, FIST-V, Humvees, Leo2A4s, etc. etc. etc. You can actually drive an M1A1 and a Leo2A4, as well as be the TC and the Gunner. It's the most realistic tank sim in terms of "game play" and has a powerful scenario editor as well (which I'm having a hard time mastering hehehehe). Great tank sim, a must have if you're an armor fanatic. BTW, I don't work for the company that makes Steel Beasts. Just a big BIG ADDICT of the game - doh! - TANK SIM! It's a PC tank sim, and doesn't require much computer resources. Available at Datablitz for less than P1k. The makers will be releasing Steel Beasts 2 in Autumn or Winter of this year, however it is recommended to get SB1 because the learning curve can be a bit high. SB2 will have more "commandable" vehicles, although they are still keeping shut on what additional vehicles these are. Rumor has it you can drive a Humvee, Leo1A5, T-72, M1A2SEP, Leo2A5, Challenger 1 or Challenger 2.

SimCity 4 - If you looooooooove playing God and Mayor, this is the game for you. Outstanding graphics! Very difficult to master, though - My biggest population is a minuscule 15,000+ Sims, tiny compared the the hundreds of thousands in the old SimCity 2000 game. Very realistic and superb game, a joy to play with.

Ghost Recon - I only got the first installment. Since the first installment, UbiSoft has released 2 more packs - Desert Siege and Island Thunder. Not as tough as Rogue Spear, but it is FUN!

Splinter Cell - Downloaded from MyGlobe WAP site for P50.00, it's a nice little game from UbiSoft. A scaled down version of the Xbox (?) and/or PC game of the same title.

Prince of Persia - Also from MyGlobe and at P50.00, fun game - and sexy too hehehehe

Juysteck - Raptor 3D USB. I got mine at Challenger, Filinvest Mall, for less than P1k (they were selling it like pancakes during the 2002 Christmas season). The cheapest digital USB joystick I found, it is fun to use and has several buttons, including a throttle button. I've been using it for Steel Beasts - alas, Ghost Recon seems to not support joysticks at all, only keyboards. Some analog, serial port joysticks costs more than the Raptor 3D. Compatible with USB 1 or USB 1.1
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC
Wow! Gamer pala si GI! hehe! alabrador's game and this thing you're talking about, "Steel-Beasts"? has "piqued" my interest, but alas haven't been able to see a warez or legit copy for that matter.

Current Games occupying my time:

CnC Generals -- RTS Game, putting ultimate firepower in your hands, 'nuff said.

Sim Golf -- Wasn't really a Sim fan before, but there's something about Sim Golf that's both therapeutic and enjoyable. The game garnered a lot of awards, too. It's Sid Meier, should be enough to have you pick it up. Hehe!

Plus I'm going back to Diablo II.

Splinter Cell was a joy to play, when you're looking for that "Metal Gear-fix".
And the Grand Theft Auto line of games, is just oh, so enjoyable. Living a life ala-Scarface man! Hehe!

Plus of course you've gotta have a sim or two in there, GT3 (Gran Turismo 3) has always occupied loads and loads of my time, made me pick up a Logitech Formula Force for the PS2! IL2, or IIRC IL Sturmovick? is one flight-sim with so much eye candy, too.

Ayan na muna.
blitz
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 432 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
hehehe ... nakikilaro syempre ako sa mga anak ko ... faves..PS2
GHOST RECON(I like it better on the PC)
METAL GEAR (I even have the complete figure set..got 'em in EBAY..but i'm no ACTION FIGURE freak..)
SPLINTER CELL(Michael Ironside doing the voice of SAM FISCHER)
Grand TOURISMO..
MEDAL of HONOR ...nakakatamad lang ...

and SYEMPRE ..ang bagong TOMB RAIDER 5 -Angel of Darkness...after a long wait ...napapansin na nga ng me WIFE na parang halos tatay namimili nang GAMES....AYOKO na nang TEKKEN 4 lagi na akong tinatalo nang mga anak ko. Even my 9yr old daugther ..she always beat me with her 10-hit COMBO..
SA PC...
RED ALERT ..AGE of EMPIREs nung nasa PINAS pa kami.. dami kasing pirated Software.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:31 PM UTC
Jomz: You can download the Steel Beasts demo at Strategy First.com or at the Steel Beast's site linked above. The demo lets you drive the Leo2A4. The sim is tough - my stats are embarrasing - practically 60% of all missions I've gone through I lost miserably hehehe. One nice mission is called Desert Delay wherein your tank battalion or brigade (yup, a BATTALION of TANKS - FUN!) is up against an entire Iraqi Republican Guard Motor Rifle Division. You got artillery support as well - but so do they. I end up losing practically two-thirds of my force (tsk tsk tsk bad bad me) but win - sometimes. You can find it at Datablitz. It ain't in a big box, but rather in a DVD-like CD case. What's realistic about SB is that it's developed with the help of real tankers out there, hence there is a high degree of realism in it. If you're wondering what it'll feel like holding a ridge against a full Soviet onslaught in the Fulda Gap if WW3 sparked, SB gives you that feeling - and it's scary. It's so realistic, even the US Army uses a modified version of SB1 for training purposes IIRC. BTW, when you do get it, download the latest patches and the SB Skinner. The skinner you use to make your tanks in desert camo for those desert missions.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 09:02 PM UTC
Here's my list

For PC:
Medal of Honor Allied Assault
Medal of Honor Spearhead
Command and Conquer Generals
Battlefield 1942
Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome
Half Life
Half Life: Day of Defeat
Half Life: Firearms
Half Life: Team Fortress Classic
Ghost Recon

For Dreamcast:
Aerodancing

For Playstation
Mobile Suit Gundam: Ghiren's Greed

For Playstation 2
Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo
Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Gran Turismo A Spec

For Gamecube
Super Smash Brothers Melee

I'm not into games these days anymore. Mostly yung PC games lang medyo nilalaro ko. I don't use additional controllers except the one that is with the console eg PS2 = PS2 Controller. Sa PC naman standard keyboard and mouse.
stressor
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 44 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:26 PM UTC
PC Games:

command and conquer generals
starcraft
warcraft

PS2

naval ops - a destroyer sim, not that much fun but I just bought it and I intend to finish it
All Xmen games
FF X, X2
alabrador
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:53 AM UTC
Hi,

You guys have GOT to try Combat Mission! download the demo from Battlefront.com and you won't look back. Never mind the cartoon like figures. ALL the armor from WW2 is there. The game takes into account such details as armor thickness per area and relative brinnel hardness as well as optics wind direction, defilade. Line of sight is the most realistic i've ever seen...Get to command a whole guards regiment of JS 2's or King Tigers...please try it. The tanks in the game are scanned and dropped onto 3D wireframes from actual scale models.

Albert
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
you guys have GOT to try Combat Mission! download the demo from Battlefront.com and you won't look back. Never mind the cartoon like figures. ALL the armor from WW2 is there. The game takes into account such details as armor thickness per area and relative brinnel hardness as well as optics wind direction, defilade. Line of sight is the most realistic i've ever seen...Get to command a whole guards regiment of JS 2's or King Tigers...please try it. The tanks in the game are scanned and dropped onto 3D wireframes from actual scale models.

Albert

I take it you're playing the full-blown version of the game, right? If you are, where'd you get it? or is it even available here in the Philippines?

I'm downloading the demo's right now, 20 mins each yeehaa!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

You guys have GOT to try Combat Mission! download the demo from Battlefront.com and you won't look back. Never mind the cartoon like figures. ALL the armor from WW2 is there. The game takes into account such details as armor thickness per area and relative brinnel hardness as well as optics wind direction, defilade. Line of sight is the most realistic i've ever seen...Get to command a whole guards regiment of JS 2's or King Tigers...please try it. The tanks in the game are scanned and dropped onto 3D wireframes from actual scale models.

Albert

Wow! Might give it a try! Subukan nyo rin Blitzkreig. RTS sya and hell of WWII armor lovers will enjoy the AFV's! Ang dami!
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:53 AM UTC
Jomz: I got the tank sim at DataBlitz, Filinvest Mall. I just visited the shop this afternoon and tried to find SB. Alas, it ain't there anymore. Try Datablitz at (almost any) SM branch - they might have it.

OBTW, I haven't played it yet, but discussions at TankNet on Medieval: Total War have made me salivate. :-) It's available at Datablitz for P1995. Damn impressive game! But I'm saving for money for the next installment - Rome:Total War which is said to be much much more... wonderful :-)
alabrador
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:07 AM UTC
About Battlefront,

You can pick it up in Virra Mall ( shhhh). I was lucky. Battlefront had a contest for modellers to provide tanks for the 3D modelling skins and held a contest on the missing lynx site. I won 2nd place and so got CMBB for free! I'm on the credits! I think CMBO the earlier western front version is available in greenhills. Don't know about the second game.

Albert
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:17 AM UTC
I tried Combat Mission.

Ang galing. I'd love to get the full-version tho. Hmm where in Virra Mall, I hope it's not a warez-version since IMO, this could be a great game to be warezed.

Oh my, ultimate-ego-trip. Part of the credits huh! Hehe!

I'm playing Combat Mission, beyond overlord if you're wondering.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:20 AM UTC
Part of the credits? Are you getting any royalties with it?
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:25 AM UTC
Oh and to add two-more games to our inventory of 'notable' games.

Commando's 1 & 2
Fallout Tactics -- one of the best turn-based squad-action games in the market.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jomz: I got the tank sim at DataBlitz, Filinvest Mall. I just visited the shop this afternoon and tried to find SB. Alas, it ain't there anymore. Try Datablitz at (almost any) SM branch - they might have it.

OBTW, I haven't played it yet, but discussions at TankNet on Medieval: Total War have made me salivate. :-) It's available at Datablitz for P1995. Damn impressive game! But I'm saving for money for the next installment - Rome:Total War which is said to be much much more... wonderful :-)

Oh you're into those 'epic-war' games huh? You tried out 'Takeda'? I doubt anybody here has heard of it, since it's an "indie" game which won accolade in some games-convention. Pretty nifty game if you ask me. I'll try to send you a burnt copy if you'd like, maybe if I decide on going to Operation Quickstrike.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:31 AM UTC
Takeda? Sounds like a samurai game... COOL! Is it like Shogun? I do hope though my PC can handle it? Even if it's a Duron 700Mhz, 256MB SDRAM, GeForce4MX400 64MB, Win98SE, I have lots of PC problems. OS's fault. It's like keeping a boat together by staples hehehehe. I plan on installing XP Home later this year.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Takeda? Sounds like a samurai game... COOL! Is it like Shogun? I do hope though my PC can handle it? Even if it's a Duron 700Mhz, 256MB SDRAM, GeForce4MX400 64MB, Win98SE, I have lots of PC problems. OS's fault. It's like keeping a boat together by staples hehehehe. I plan on installing XP Home later this year.

Haha Win98SE is pretty stable compared to WinME, which just sucks soo much, I'd rather opt for Windows 3.1 than install this head-ache of an OS. Stay away from it. What 'copy' of WinXP are you getting, I mean, yeah I know you're planning on getting HOME -- but will it be warez? hehe! Just curious. I have WinXP Pro. on my machine, and haven't had ANY problems at all. PM me if you have any problems, I'll try if I can help you, ask shonen_red, I've been his YM-call-center whenever he has PC problems.

Takeda is a very low-resource demand program, hell! you can run SimCity4 right, you'd have no problems running this game. But mind you, the game is strip-down to the basics. Don't expect Shogun-graphics here. But IMO the gameplay just pays off. Basta if you're interested, I'll try to bring you a copy. You might want to do some searches on the title, to see the graphics. I'm not sure if there's a demo of sorts on the internet either.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:50 AM UTC
Saving up on an original WinXP Home. However, I would love to have the Pro version as I heard that there are a lot of useful features Pro has that Home doesn't - but it costs nearly twice that of Home, so I'll "stay at home." hehehe ay ang corny ko! :-)
Also, I might just use a warez version because my current PC problems are nearing intolerable range. I'll be borrowing a friend's copy of WinXP Pro soon, if I become too impatient already. But first, I have to do some major backing up to do - around (gulp!) 6GBs of documents, images, downloaded software and other essentials. Ouch!

Interesting, Takeda. I'll look it up on the Web. Sounds like a nice fun game!
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Saving up on an original WinXP Home. However, I would love to have the Pro version as I heard that there are a lot of useful features Pro has that Home doesn't - but it costs nearly twice that of Home, so I'll "stay at home." hehehe ay ang corny ko! :-)
Also, I might just use a warez version because my current PC problems are nearing intolerable range. I'll be borrowing a friend's copy of WinXP Pro soon, if I become too impatient already. But first, I have to do some major backing up to do - around (gulp!) 6GBs of documents, images, downloaded software and other essentials. Ouch!

Interesting, Takeda. I'll look it up on the Web. Sounds like a nice fun game!

Ah hehe, well the breadth of the stuff Pro has that home doesn't IIRC are Enterprise Networking solutions -- any software guru here care to enlighten or correct me if I'm wrong. The backing up, IMO could be done use Partition Magic, but I myself prefer to have a crispy-squeky clean system to start with, and partitioning an already active system, just isn't something I'd do. I've been backing up over 30 Gig's of downloaded software, etc. for some time now, and it is a pain in the ass! Hehe! Buy a new hard-drive, they're reasonably cheap compared to prices before.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Haha Win98SE is pretty stable compared to WinME, which just sucks soo much, I'd rather opt for Windows 3.1 than install this head-ache of an OS. Stay away from it. What 'copy' of WinXP are you getting, I mean, yeah I know you're planning on getting HOME -- but will it be warez? hehe! Just curious. I have WinXP Pro. on my machine, and haven't had ANY problems at all. PM me if you have any problems, I'll try if I can help you, ask shonen_red, I've been his YM-call-center whenever he has PC problems.

Yep, bwiset na ME yan! Buti na lang at nag XP ako. Kainis nga lang sa kabilang comp ko nagkakaprob ang XP! Screen flickering, hangtime and stuff. Well, salamat na rin jomz!
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hehehe ... nakikilaro syempre ako sa mga anak ko ... faves..PS2
GHOST RECON(I like it better on the PC)
METAL GEAR (I even have the complete figure set..got 'em in EBAY..but i'm no ACTION FIGURE freak..)
SPLINTER CELL(Michael Ironside doing the voice of SAM FISCHER)
Grand TOURISMO..
MEDAL of HONOR ...nakakatamad lang ...

and SYEMPRE ..ang bagong TOMB RAIDER 5 -Angel of Darkness...after a long wait ...napapansin na nga ng me WIFE na parang halos tatay namimili nang GAMES....AYOKO na nang TEKKEN 4 lagi na akong tinatalo nang mga anak ko. Even my 9yr old daugther ..she always beat me with her 10-hit COMBO..
SA PC...
RED ALERT ..AGE of EMPIREs nung nasa PINAS pa kami.. dami kasing pirated Software.

You've got the full set of the MGS figs? Cool....

I always wanted a cyborg ninja action figure...But I couldn't find one...An even if there was, it's darn expensive....T_T

MGS 1 ba o MGS 2?

Astig...E di nada-diorama mo yung scenes like "This is the greatest handgun in the world...The Colt Single Action Army..." sans the background... Buti ka pa....^_^

lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 05:11 AM UTC
'Bout videogames....Nakikilaro lang ako kay Ralph...

Yung mga nilaro ko talagang mga videogames:

1.) Double Dragon II (Family Computer)

Astig e....Pwede ka pang mag skip-level by pressing A+start button...

2.) Contra (Family Computer)

It's RAMBO vs ALIENS and all other strange looking things...(yung ibang kalaban, hnde bumabaril....tumatalon....dodging your projectile....)

3.) Duck Hunt (Family Computer)

Kill that annoying dog...

4.) Resident Evil (lahat ng available sa PSX...)

Memorize ko na...^___^ (no kidding...) dahil nung ayos pa PS nmin, araw-araw kong tinatapos...Bawat isa...^_____^

5.) Metal Gear (PSX)

I don't need to tell why...Basta astig cya.

6.) Gundam the BattleMaster 2 (PSX)

I like it....A LOT better than Battle Assault...Parang modified lng kse yung latter...

7.) Mobile Suit Gundam : Gyakushu no Char (PSX)

I am the RED COMET. Astig kse yung space battles....Sana nga lang, may earth battles din..(gaya ng katulad sa Armored Core...)

8.) Kitty the Kool (PSX)

What girly game? Ang hirap nga tapusin e....But you'll enjoy it once nakuha mo na yung gagawin...Astig yung Japanese na music....Tapos sasayaw si Kitty, then lalabas sina Kero, Pocchaco at si Maru...

9.) Commandos (BEL & BTCOD) (PC)

10.) Medal of Honor Allied Assault (PC)

Nakikilaro lang... (Brining the Nazis down with a Colt .45 pistol.)

11.) Sudden Strike II (PC)

"Oberst?"

12.) Day of Defeat (PC)

Nakikilaro lng din... Leicht Infanterie?

That's bout all of them...

BTW, Alam nyo ba yung PANZER COMMANDER? Parang gusto kong i-try e...Mukhang maganda....I've seen a strategy guide (sa Data Blitz = Php 100.00) at may thorugh explaination sa tactics in using armor para sa giyera....wala lng..^_______^
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, Alam nyo ba yung PANZER COMMANDER? Parang gusto kong i-try e...Mukhang maganda....I've seen a strategy guide (sa Data Blitz = Php 100.00) at may thorugh explaination sa tactics in using armor para sa giyera....wala lng..^_______^

Panzer Commander IIRC is one hardcore WWII-Turnbased-Strategy Game. No frills 2D game, I doubt it if this even has any graphics, at all. Only sounds IIRC, and moving chess-like pieces. Hehe! But nonetheless, I've tried this, and hardcore WWII fanatics will probably dig this game.

I was able to get a hold of a full-version of the Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord game, after experiencing that demo-action, I just had to try this full-blown version. Too bad you can't update it with patches -- much as every "warez-ed" game or software. I'm going to look for a legit copy of this game.

Alabrador, I can see why this game does consume so much time! Hehehe! But it's not a boring game at that. Any tactics you'd like to share with me? I'm digging that mortar guy. Lots'a fire-power, but takes too long to fire. Hehe! Plus the line-of-site feature, beautiful feature for gameplay.

I'm wishing some mainstream company provides further development for smoother gameplay (console controls are a bit limited, plus the stats for every unit is still limited to the lower-screen display). But then again, too much "smoothness" tends to give the game too much "/features" that it looses that nitty-gritty feel of war, which IMO is one thing that this game has so much of.

lonewolf,

There's this toy-shop of sorts in Festival that caters to class-A toy-figures, collectible ones at that. IIRC they had some MGS 2 figures on display there. Plus you can try out some shops in Virra Mall, one on the third floor, and the other on the ground floor near collezione. Avoid the ones in the Greenhills Theatre Mall, as they tend to overprice their toys. I remember inquiring about a Darth Vader light-saber, they were selling it for oh, just around 20k ! hehe! It goes for a lot cheaper I'm sure.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 12:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There's this toy-shop of sorts in Festival that caters to class-A toy-figures, collectible ones at that. IIRC they had some MGS 2 figures on display there. Plus you can try out some shops in Virra Mall, one on the third floor, and the other on the ground floor near collezione. Avoid the ones in the Greenhills Theatre Mall, as they tend to overprice their toys. I remember inquiring about a Darth Vader light-saber, they were selling it for oh, just around 20k ! hehe! It goes for a lot cheaper I'm sure.

Yeah, IIRC they are at the same level as the movie houses. There are 2 or 3 - one is called "Hobby Shop" I guess, the other is Ramshop, then the other is Comic Quest.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2003 - 04:07 PM UTC
jomz, and to all now that I'll endorse you to buy orig games. Remember jomz? Ikaw pumilit sa akin bumili ng orig na C & C Generals? Hehehe. Bili ka rin ng HL na orig para 1 on 1 net game tayo sa sem break!
 _GOTOTOP