_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
New Air Force Camouflage Uniform
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 04:38 AM UTC
In yesterday's paper, they have photos of the new USAF camouflage uniform. From the quick shots of it, it looks like dark blue tiger stripes with light blue, white and gray stripes. Head gear is the same style as the Marine Corps' hat. The shirt tucks in like the old fatigues and the name tapes are done in light blue with dark blue lettering. The T-shirt is dark blue with buttons at the neck, the name and "US AIR FORCE" are embroidered in a lighter color (can't tell in the black and white photos).

The Air Force logo is imbedded into the camouflage scheme, much like the USMC logo is in their new camouflage. The final decision is slated for December 2004.

Makes it easier for snipers to take out the CAS liason officer operating with Army troops on forward lines.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 09:55 AM UTC
Whats up with the new uniforms?????
Do you think the Army will change our uniforms? I Like the Woodland BDU's and 3 Color DCU's.
Lets see, do you think the Navy will go with a whit and black camo and look like a Zebra!!!!
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:06 AM UTC
With all due respect.... what the hell for?? This makes no sense to me at all!

I agree with Rob.... I see a prime target, and it might not be too healthy for those (in regular camo) around him.

Quoted Text

The Air Force logo is imbedded into the camouflage scheme, much like the USMC logo is in their new camouflage. The final decision is slated for December 2004.

If the US forces keep this up, there's going to be a lot of local stitchers out of work.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:11 AM UTC
They look pretty good.

Second Lt. Arcelia Miller, from the Air Force’s special security office, puts the Air Force test utility uniform through its paces at an entry control point here. The blue, gray and green tiger-stripe camouflage ensemble includes many new features intended to increase functionality while providing a distinctive look for the 21st century airmen. The uniforms will undergo wear-testing beginning in January 4
jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:33 AM UTC
Being in the Air Force myself, I am familiar with this topic. They are going to start field testing of this uniform in Jan 04 and selected bases, with (as someone mentioned)decision slated for Dec 04, with production begining (should it be approved) in '05 and phase in time TBD.

The uniform is to be like the picture shows. The top is designed to be either tucked/untucked (much like the old ODs). The undershirt is a "3 button Henley", black with US Air Force and the wearer's name in white. It's designed so the Airman can remove the blouse without being out of uniform. I find the "Marine" style Pointed hat an interesting addition. The reasoning for the new uniform is to have a uniform more appropriate for what the typical Airman does on a daily basis. I would assume when deployed to forward locations and special ops will wear something much more appropriate. Just in case you guys were curious.

BTW, I heard a rumor the Army was looking into Redesigning the BDUs...any truth to this??
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
Not to be sounding too snide, but what in heck does the air force need with camoflauge? Jumpin Jimminie!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the colors, what if they have to bail out it'll make it harder to see to strafe in midair or on the ground? Yea right.

Steven M. Joyce
US Army MAJ
Armor
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The reasoning for the new uniform is to have a uniform more appropriate for what the typical Airman does on a daily basis.

Seems to me that the same results occur if you add the new T-shirt to the current BDU. But, like the Marines' changing of their uniform, it doesn't bother me. I assume I'll be close to retirement by the time the Army actually inacts a new camouflage uniform.

Quoted Text

BTW, I heard a rumor the Army was looking into Redesigning the BDUs...any truth to this??

Yes, recent research into new camouflage patterns by the guys down in Natick. But, they've been looking into a new design for our dress green uniform since I was a lieutenant in Germany, and that hasn't happened yet.

Personally, I preferred the jungle fatiques that made a brief comeback in the mid 80s. They had a zipper instead of the button fly and the slanted pockets were easier to access when wearing TA-50.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 12:18 PM UTC
Well for you guys who want to know what the navy is doing....... WE HAVE NO FRIGIN' CLUE!!!!!!!!!! Our new uniforms have yet to be annouced. The uniform comitee has to decide by October of this year. Our main goal is to reduce the number of uniforms we have from 7 to 3. So hopefully well know something soon. STUG
REMF11M
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 181 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 05:58 PM UTC
(++) The best Camo Uniform for the Air Force would have oil stains and wrinkels that can be removed. (++)

Seriously the uniform looks sharp, but it'll probly be for garrison (or what ever the Air Force calls home station) only
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 07:06 PM UTC
New uniform just shouts "HI! I'M A TARGET! HIT ME!"

I also wonder what a downed pilot would be wishing for when he lands within enemy territory ("$%@!#$%$@!#&^*# uniform! They can spot me a mile away with this!")

Query: Why bother changing the uniform? Just to look better? Does it have a functional purpose - I can imagine being harder to see when you eject from the cockpit and floating down with your parachute as it matches somewhat the sky - unless it's a gray overcast - but once you hit the ground, IN ENEMY TERRITORY....

One would just as well pack in civilian clothes worn by the locals so as to blend in. Heck, maybe a burka for those flying over Afghanistan - now that'd conceal you nicely.

Hell, the French BDUs they've been tinkering looks awfully cool but also quite functional (the one with clear - plexiglass? - visor, and full head protection - even the neck).

No offense to the airmen in this forum, but really... why change it? Seems to me, at least, a waste of tax payers' money, when the military can go purchase better equipment with the money.
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 07:52 PM UTC
Ladies and Gentlemen,

On this uniform thing...I thing the point is being missed. Aircrew do not/will not wear these things. They will still be in there green (tan in the desert) pickle suits. The rest of us will be in these new things.
Those of us who end up with these things will/should be attached to a base, not something that picks up and moves. We have all this concrete and steel around that just does not load into a truck well (it does, just does not go back together the way you took it apart!) With that said, this is the AF attempt to 'blend into' the concrete jungle we work in. And this one uniform is not the only style being looked at. All the colors seem to be this blue/gray stuff, but I have seen different styles of it.
And since we can not move the base, we are all targets and the color of the uniform will make no difference. Those who do go out and play with others should/will have other uniform options.
We will have to see what time and the uniform board brings us

V/r

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:34 AM UTC
t-shirt looks abit iffy though,
looks like your going through the same as us with soldier 95
but one question why isnt there one standard cammo pattern for all 3
services must waste some money on r&d just to say I'm in xyz and your
not wearing my cammo pattern. Saying that yesterday over there in the uk
was about 36 with no wind and was glad I was wearing my old dpm
jungles as it was a bit lighter than the new stuff sadley they are no longer
made
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...but one question why isnt there one standard cammo pattern for all 3 services...

There is (or rather was) until the Marines went with their own pattern last year. All four branches (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines) used the standard BDU uniform with only the headgear, belt and undergarments differing. The Marines developed their own boot and then their own uniform, actually the Army's Soldier Support Center in Natick developed it for them.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:13 AM UTC
Gosh, I almost shot coffee out my nose when I saw this!

Another Air Force uniform -- don't they have enough already? Back in the late 80s, when I was with the 6th Infantry Division (Light), I was on an air-loading detail for a few weeks on Elmendorf Air Force Base. One thing we noticed about the Air Force "uniform" was that it was anything but uniform. Every wingnut we worked with wore a different combination of parts and pieces. They all complained that from a distance, we all looked the same.

BTW, that new Marine camo is a real eye dazzler. I was talking to a Marine wearing that stuff the other day and almost got motion sickness trying to focus on his uniform. I pity the poor figure painter who tries to do this pattern in any scale. At least the Air Force "urban tigerstripe" looks at least possible to paint.

On Army camo, Army TImes had a big article on the camo patterns they were considering a few months back. I think they ought to just go down to the sporting goods store and check out all the commercial camos available off the shelf. Mossy Oak, RealTree, Advantage -- all offer multiple patterns for different types of terrain, vegetation, etc.
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC
What does the new Marine uniform look like? Can someone post a picture of it?
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, that new Marine camo is a real eye dazzler. I was talking to a Marine wearing that stuff the other day and almost got motion sickness trying to focus on his uniform. I pity the poor figure painter who tries to do this pattern in any scale.

Obviously they didn't consider us small scale figure painters before they came up with that one. #:-)

IMHO, I do think that the new Marine camo is quite effective, altho I haven't seen it 'in person' yet. I don't have a problem with them wanting to be unique, but the AF camo doesn't make all that much sense to me. If that (or something similiar) is going to be standard issue, will they also require to be issued other 'terrain' type camo? Army and Marine MOUNT troops are not issued urban type camo. They just go 'into town' in standard BDU colors.

Isn't most AF ground equipment green or sand colored? Yes, the aircraft, buildings and concrete are gray in color, but if your airfield is being attacked, would you seek cover behind a parked aircraft or in a hanger? Not me! Tactically, blue isn't a good choice IMHO.

What would the desert 'blue' scheme look like?

I dunno, it seems that those funds could be better used elsewhere.. but hey, the ones making this decision know a hell of a lot more than I do.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:59 AM UTC
Matt,

New MARPAT, Marine Corp desert cammo...

Shaun
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

New uniform just shouts "HI! I'M A TARGET! HIT ME!"

Maybe that's not such a bad idea. Since the military edge of US forces gets better and better, it may become more interesting to BE seen (avoiding friendly fire) than NOT to be seen (since the enemy is reduced to meatloaf before they get close enough to put their sights on you.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 09:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They look pretty good.

Second Lt. Arcelia Miller, from the Air Force’s special security office, puts the Air Force test utility uniform through its paces at an entry control point here. The blue, gray and green tiger-stripe camouflage ensemble includes many new features intended to increase functionality while providing a distinctive look for the 21st century airmen. The uniforms will undergo wear-testing beginning in January 4

I like it - think I'll rejoin.

Gunnie
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 09:41 AM UTC
looking at that picture you yanks really need to learn to shape your berets if they get any bigger you could land helo's on them
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:25 AM UTC
Found this surfing over at Sargent Stryker's. Pretty cute...

Shaun
 _GOTOTOP