Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
World Championship Football 2010
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 10:44 PM UTC
The 11th of June will be the kickoff of one of the coolest tournaments on the planet. The World Championship Football 2010 in South Africa.

32 teams all over the world will challenge each other on the pitch.

I am looking forward to it for months. Following every bit of news, Watching as much matches as possible and not only from the Dutch National team but also from other teams that are attending the World Championship.
What i'm curious about who will cheer for their teams this year. With modelers all over the world it only seems logic that there will be football fans among them.

So show your colors. Make this the thread for the World Championship
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 12:14 AM UTC
Well Robert naturally I'm following the Australians, but once we don't get out of the group stage (!) I will follow Holland as they have always been a favourite Euro team of mine... Should also follow England due to heritage (Germany as well, but that would clash with us in the group stage) but am really looking forward to some great battles on the park...
Brad
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 12:27 AM UTC
Should be following the Rep. of Ireland. But Henry cheated in the playoff. So I'm supporting everyone who plays against France!
Self-Propelled
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 252 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 01:19 AM UTC
Naturally, as a German, I'm very much into football but I find it hard to get really excited about this tournamnet for two reasons. First, it can never be as good as the world cup 2006 which took place here and was an undescribable event for us Germans, I've never experienced anything like it. Second, our team really really sucks this time. Australia has better chances to advance this time, I'd worry more about Serbia.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 03:15 AM UTC
@ Bradley
Why would the socceroos not reach the second round? I think the Aussie team certainly has what it takes. But with Germany and Serbia in the poule it can go any way. Serbia is a bit of a surprise I have to say as they play a nice game of football. And Germany is always a tough opponent. They never stop fighting.

And thanks for your support on the Dutch but what puzzles me always a bit is to why Holland is always a favourite for so many foreign people. Maybe we have good players but if you look at the results of all the World Championships Holland ever played in we have never won. We only reached the finals twice. reached the quarter finals once. and were fourth once but further it was not to write home about.
It always seems that The Dutch national team is a favourite at any WC only not for the DUtch. We hope we win but we know we probably won't.

@ John-Paul
Yeah that will always be a bit controversial. I have seen that particular match and I saw it being hands as well. And I indeed think that Ireland was stolen from their qualification. It seems FIFA did not have the balls to make the right judgement.

@ Sebastian
I can imagine if you experience a tournament from so close by it is a very intense way of doing so. Quite a neat result of Germany allthough I can imagine that third place was not really what Germany was hoping for... Then again... you were number 3 of the world at that moment. Beating Portugal with 3 to 1
You might say that your team is not strong this year but I still think you have quite a collection of good players and as I said to Bradley as well. They never stop. always going till the end. you need eyes in your back because when you are not looking and thinking it is done suddenly the Germans are back.

What I always like with soccer is the fact that here in Holland suddenly everything turns orange. Everybody starts to wear orange, Supermarkets, beerbrands, Foodproducts, cellphonecomapnies, big shops etc all give away orange goodies to wear and show during the time the Dutch are in the Championship. Rendering everything useless as soon as the Dutch fly out. But regardless of the result the fans always are behind their country. I found a folder with pictures that I took during the Match against France in the European Championship when we beat them with 4-1. Take a look at all the paraphernalia worn and mostly the huge difference among them. Or look at how the bar looks for that matter.
Pictures made during Holland against France EC 2008 in my village
With yours truly proudly wearing the nicest color on earth

How do fans from other countries stay behind their national teams. Do you only wear the National colors or do you go all out with facepaint, painting the whole street in the colors of the national team. Tell me I love to know. and if you got pics... even better
This post was removed.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 05:12 AM UTC
bedankt Ron dat je een draadje die mogelijk leuk had kunnen zijn meteen de nek om gedraaid heb
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 05:38 AM UTC
How can this be about Football when there's no mention of Brett Farve, the Packers or the Cowboys???
Self-Propelled
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 252 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How can this be about Football when there's no mention of Brett Farve, the Packers or the Cowboys???

'Cause this is teh real footballz!
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
Oh, you mean futbol! My daughter was mean keeper when she played.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 10:23 AM UTC
Hi,

I'm supporting PORTUGAL of course.

In the past we have had several topics regarding football world and european championships.

chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 949 Posts
KitMaker Network: 129 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 06:06 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
Go NEW ZEALAND,if we win one game it's a victory.
Pity we can't put our Rugby team (the All Blacks) now that would be interesting.

Chris
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,093 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 07:28 PM UTC
You're absolutely right, Robert.
A totally senceless and useless post from me. Somehow football works like a red flag on a bull with me.
I asked the mods to remove it and do apologise for it.

You guys enjoy your worldchampionships, while I learn to sit on my fingers on a bad day.....
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 08:11 PM UTC
This might be the year of Spain. Considering that the biggest contribution to the team is Barcelona - Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Pedro and David Villa (amongst others) I don't see many other selections who come close in sheer talent.

Serbia is going, IMO, to be the dark horse in the competion. I expect to see some impressive things from them...

Argentina? Lions led by donkeys. Unfortunately Maradona is NOT the correct trainer. What kind of clown doesn't know how to play Messi? Talent, talent and more talent with nothing approaching a scheme of play.

Brasil? Probably favorites - although their lack of discipline will cost them dear against more structured sides.

England, sorry people - NO chance whatsoever. They've improved but not to the level that makes them any kind of serious contenders.

Italy, sadly they'll probably do well. They destroy football, a team of prima donnas most of whom should have been retired years ago. Boring, boring, boring, boring.

Germany? Little real technical talent but a LOT of physical power. Not subtle, not nice to watch but effective.

France? the younger players are still not making it through to the national side - a pity as there's a lot of talent there. Just why is Laurent Blanc NOT the National trainer - brilliant guy. Domenech must be the only trainer in history who has been criticised by the French president...

Why do teams like the U.S.A. and Australia keep entering the World Cup? Come to that, why does Italy always do so well?

Nope, consider Spain. Serious contenders on every level and they play some beautiful football...
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 09:01 PM UTC
@ MD72 (Mark)
It is that I sometimes follow the late night show with Letterman otherwise I really had to answer that question with "Who? "
No man we are talking about the World championship where the contenders actually come from all over the world

@ Jose
Portugal definately has a good team this year and plays a very attractive piece of football. wish you all the luck as you have some strong opponents in the poule fase of the tournament. With Brazil and Cote Ivoire. I'm really looking forward to the escapades of Cristiano Ronaldo bit of an arrogant guy but such a great player. Further with Deco, Moutinho, Nani, Alves they could bring some serious good football.

@ Chris
For new zealand the first time in nearly 30 years that you managed to play yourself into the World CHampionship. I have to say that I don't know any of the new Zealand players nor anything from their style... But every now and then a complete outsider manages to come pretty far.. Think of South Korea 4th Place in WC of 2002 and Greece winning the final in the EC of 2004. Never say never

@ Jim
Very true... Spain comes with an impressive arsenal of talented players. But as is often the case... Can they play together without letting the ego's go in the way (that is always the problem with a team I won't mention the name of)

I also agree with you on the fact that it is very possible that they bring the bifggest surprises of the tournament. Coach Antic really has put together a good team. Am very curious what the White Eagles are going to do this year.

Maradona is to Argentina what van Basten was for the Dutch National team... Being a good player doesn't automatically mean you're a good coach. I'm afraid Argentina will not do that well this year but who knows... they still have some good players running around in the pitch.

Brazil as usual brings good players with them but indeed. They lack discipline. Very curious how that will work out

Englands problem is that it leans too much on Rooney for their successes and it is not one man that wins the matches... you need 11. Speaking of which....

Italy... Home of the infamous Catenaccio system. One striker waiting for the counter and 10 goalies. Extremely boring to watch but sadly very effective

It is really hard to win from the Germans.. As I said earlier... they never stop... It is a 90 minute barrage of attacks played out with unattractive football but for the germans it's only over when it's over. Dangerous to the last minute.

Domenech is not the right man for france and he has been that for years now. I really wonder why they keep him as they have far better in their stores. Who are able to put the talent of France in the right places. As there is really not that much wrong with the players they bring this year. Anelka, Ribery, Henry, Malouda, Gallas to name a few.. It's not like they bringthe least names to south Africa.

As for America. Looking back at the last 5 WC's they did not get out of the Groupfase 3 times, Once made it to the second round and managed to reach the quarterfinals once. A team with a handfull of known names. And a little talent... but who knows... with a little hard work.
And Australia... Well I hope they come further then the last WC in 2006. They then played under a dutch Coach (Hiddink) and they are now playing again under a Dutch coach (Verbeek) And they have some good players as well. I'm looking forward to what the Socceroos will do
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 - 10:48 PM UTC
Of course New Zealand is my team. A point in pool play will be like us winning the world cup lol. Should be some great football no matter whos playing.

P.S Great photos my friend, the pub brings back some memories...well what I can remember anyway!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Of course New Zealand is my team. A point in pool play will be like us winning the world cup lol

That's optimism. But who knows what will happen.

Quoted Text

the pub brings back some memories...well what I can remember anyway!

Well you can safely say you went to Dirkshorn and came back to tell the tale It was a nice visit of you guys.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 01:18 AM UTC
I'm supporting England, right up until we get knocked out!!!

Would love to see New Zealand get a point, would be superb.

Always follow the Dutch, was even allowed to be an honorary Dutchman at the euros last time (thanks Henk and Robbert)

Looking forward to a month of it.
Enjoy!
Andy
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,699 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 05:54 AM UTC
I think France should be written like this: "France*"
where the star is Ireland. A bit like Barry Bonds home runs on steriods.

Then in years to come if France win, everyone will know Ireland are really the World Cup Winners

I'm only actually half joking.

ludwig113
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm supporting England, right up until we get knocked out!!!

Always follow the Dutch, was even allowed to be an honorary Dutchman at the euros last time (thanks Henk and Robbert)

Looking forward to a month of it.
Enjoy!
Andy

yep i'll be doing the same with england,
and i follow the dutch as well..........well the womens dutch hockey team...

paul
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 05:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why do teams like the U.S.A. and Australia keep entering the World Cup? Come to that, why does Italy always do so well?

I shouldn't dignify this with an answer Jim. I assume you are trying to say why do they bother? Or do you want a stupid answer like "Because we keep qualifying"?? Honestly...
And as for Italy, you only need to see the end of the Australia vs. Italy game last WC to see why. And no, I can't be objective here.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC
My objection to the World Cup is that frankly it is 'TOO' inclusive. For the major teams, whose players have been fighting in VERY complex leagues all season, to be expected to play against teams like Costa Rica is absurd. Few of the really big names are at their best at this point whereas they have to risk injury by playing against no-hopers.

Look at qualification for the Euro-Championship: what do teams like the Faroe Islands have to offer? But, the serious European sides have to waste their times playing against them.. Added to the risk that the CLUBS (not the federations) have to take to risk getting players injured.

Like the current leagues set-up in Europe, i'd like to see a Super-League with reduced numbers of teams and a shorter season. The only thing which makes Economic sense.

The World Cup of course is about FIFA maintaining a stranglehold on the game and certain people making a lot of money from backhanders.

The word corruption is spelt in two ways: FIFA and UEFA...
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 03:28 PM UTC
I love WC football (real football!) time

It's always great to see the top teams from each football region battle it out for top honours - even if Europe is over-represented

I'm going for the Socceroos this year, although I doubt we'll get past the top 16. In addition to them, I'll be following my favourites as always: the Scandinavian teams (only Denmark this year), the Netherlands and Spain. I can't bring myself to support France this year after the France-Ireland qualification debacle. Too bad Scotland, one of my other favourites, didn't qualify again - it's been a long drought (since '98 ).

Given that the games are broadcast either really late at night or early morning here, the only drink I'll be enjoying during the games is coffee
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 09:32 PM UTC
Ola Guys

Sorry for my late reply.. Some Junk broke into my Girlfriends Home last friday and has stolen her laptop. So no internet during the whole weekend. But glad to see you guys carried the topic over the weekend.

@ Andy
LOL honorary Dutchman that is a title to be proud of. Did they give you clogs with that title? And the obligatory Orange Shawl?

@ John Paul
LOL... Well I'm pretty sure it will not end up in the books that way but it is a nice solution that's for sure.

@ Paul
Ah yes the Dutch Hockey Girls... You know... I know we have hockey teams... Both male and female... and I know they do well... and that is about as much as I know from the game.. I don't even know the hockeyplayers... It simply isn';t as popular here as Football.

@ BRadley and Jim
I can see some truth in Jim's answer however you don't get to the WC if you are not playing good enough to qualify.
And the injury part... well that can just as well happen in the normal cometitions. How often don't you see that. Fabregas and Torres were both injured in either own competition or CHampions league. You really can't blame that on playing against no Hopers. Here in Holland we have the same problem. A lot of our starplayers are often injured. Take Robben... He did not get the nickname "Man of Glass" for nothing. Van Persie, van Nistelrooy they are often injured. I guess it can be put under risk of the game.
And the qualification rounds and the trainingsmatches. I always think it is big fun. I remember when Orange played against the Faroeu Isles (a team consisting of Panelbeaters, Postmen, Fishermen etc.) The game ended up with a 0-3 score for Holland. But with every goal the Goalie (knutsen) was clapping for the Dutch... you gotta love that.

@ Rudi
Not cheering for the Bafana Bafana? I know a lot of people who moved to other countries but still are fans of their motherland.
Scandinavia is only represented with one team this year. Denmark and they are in the same pool as Holland.. Either it will be a nice surprise for you when both Holland and Denmark go through to the next round... Or a partial dissapointment if one of the teams skips out. But I have to say that the Skandinavian teams always play a well balanced game of soccer.
Ah yes the time difference around the world that was something I had not even thought about. Since South Africa lies pretty much in the same time zone as Holland the games are broadcasted on normal times here. (Bar times as you might say )

Holland has 2 trainingsmatches to go. One against Ghana which will be played tomorrow and one against Hungary 5th of June. Will be very interesting to see what happens because it will be another selection round for the players that van Marwijk brings to South Africa.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2010 - 10:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not cheering for the Bafana Bafana? I know a lot of people who moved to other countries but still are fans of their motherland.

Nope. If there's one team that truly do not deserve to be there it's South Africa. Let's face it: the only reason they're there is because they're the host nation. They've failed dismally on every account to actually qualify.