_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modellers that give advice, but...
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys,

I,ve been reading this thread and my first thought was: "here we go again"

someone asks an honest question at the start of the thread, and quickly people are arguing with each other, instead of discussion the subject. I am not going to critize this. This is the internet and it's my own choise to read this or to skip it. It is just an observation I make and it amazes me. This is a webiste dedicated to a hobby. A bunch of people buying plastic kits, glueing the little pieces together and adding some paint to them. It basically nothing more than that, to me at least. That's why I don't understand the heated debates all the time.

I think what I see happening here is what I see on many internet fora. It is I think the result of anonymous communication. People don't talk face to face, and are therefore more "open" in their choise of words. Add to that that written communication often can be perceived as blunt to the reader and we have recipe for a fight. I see this often on youtube when I look for videos of tanks. Comments there a often just full of hatred and racism. Luckily this site has moderators to keep thing civil. However, I think it's rather amusing to see people arguing about plastic thingies and trying to prove their point, without seeing the obvious result: the opponent will never raise the white flag. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a good discussion, but perhaps it's sometime better to agree that you disagree. Life's too short to loose your mind over losing an argument you have with someone on the other side of the globe you would not have ever met in your life without the internet in the first place.

My way of dealing with bad comments or no comments at all on my posts is to accept it's just a part of the internet age.

cheers,

Matthijs (Mat with 1 T)

You are right that it started as Brett Elphick's ("elph") honest question, "Why do folks post critques/comments but don't post photos of their own work?"

It was Matt Paine's ("grimmo") first post that changed the entire mode and direction; basically a "post photos of your stuff or shut up" opinion.

Suggesting an opinion telling any group to shut up is normally going to set everyone off.
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
entire network: 286 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 06:24 AM UTC
Actually this topic brings something else in mind... I have noticed that there are many modelers who put pictures here (or any other forum) and then don't take time to answer any questions. Feels like there must be some great secrets or something in their sleeves, almost like shoot&forget... And this actually annoys me more than modeler who gives advice but don't show any of their own work.

For me it's simple deal, if I decide to go public with my model I'm also more than happy to answer any questions about that model.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Guys,

I,ve been reading this thread and my first thought was: "here we go again"

someone asks an honest question at the start of the thread, and quickly people are arguing with each other, instead of discussion the subject. I am not going to critize this. This is the internet and it's my own choise to read this or to skip it. It is just an observation I make and it amazes me. This is a webiste dedicated to a hobby. A bunch of people buying plastic kits, glueing the little pieces together and adding some paint to them. It basically nothing more than that, to me at least. That's why I don't understand the heated debates all the time.

I think what I see happening here is what I see on many internet fora. It is I think the result of anonymous communication. People don't talk face to face, and are therefore more "open" in their choise of words. Add to that that written communication often can be perceived as blunt to the reader and we have recipe for a fight. I see this often on youtube when I look for videos of tanks. Comments there a often just full of hatred and racism. Luckily this site has moderators to keep thing civil. However, I think it's rather amusing to see people arguing about plastic thingies and trying to prove their point, without seeing the obvious result: the opponent will never raise the white flag. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a good discussion, but perhaps it's sometime better to agree that you disagree. Life's too short to loose your mind over losing an argument you have with someone on the other side of the globe you would not have ever met in your life without the internet in the first place.

My way of dealing with bad comments or no comments at all on my posts is to accept it's just a part of the internet age.

cheers,

Matthijs (Mat with 1 T)

You are right that it started as Brett Elphick's ("elph") honest question, "Why do folks post critques/comments but don't post photos of their own work?"

It was Matt Paine's ("grimmo") first post that changed the entire mode and direction; basically a "post photos of your stuff or shut up" opinion.

Suggesting an opinion telling any group to shut up is normally going to set everyone off.

Even though my ruffled feathers have been smoothed and I think we kind of resolved this, you make a very good point. Grimmo's comment actually did make me forget what elph had originally asked. I hope he, elph, didn't suffer too much shell splatter and I hope he did get some answers to his original question.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 12:35 PM UTC
I don't have an adequate digital camera and lighting, and right now am stuck with natural light and my Pentax SLR. I do have a few photos posted on my blog, but there is room for improvement.
 _GOTOTOP