Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modellers that give advice, but...
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 05:23 AM UTC
I'd rather simplify things. If I want feedback coming from an experienced modeller/s, I'd go find them and ask them direct. However, given that this is a public forum having members of varying levels of experience / expertise, I'd expect feedback (solicited or not) would come from all fronts, and never bother on wondering whether that comment came from someone who has posted a thousand pics, built a thousand kits or who just got into the hobby. In the end, its my choice whether to take the advice or not. Cheers -- Tat
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 05:39 AM UTC
As someone with a not a lot of free time but a good inventory of reference books and kits plus some military experience I sometimes give constructive comments and/or praise on builds that interest me. I've never felt the need to include my qualifications and I don't think I ever will.

Looking at https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/140822#1177448 I see mostly praise for the build with a minor comment on mud. I don't see anyone qualifying their praise.

If anyone has any issues with my comments then they can read my profile and access my posts and my galleries and perhaps that will answer why I think I'm allowed to post such comments.

I'm not sure what kind of response you expected from your initial post but I've got a fair what response I'd get if I started a thread titled "Why do people get their underwear in a bunch regarding constructive comments on a public forum."

Paul
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 452 Posts
KitMaker Network: 143 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC
I've posted my last few builds and asked for comments. Although, there wasn't much feedback, what I have gotten has really helped. I appreciate when other members take the time to comment on my photos. Many times I look for builds from those who comment so I can get a better idea of their suggestions or techniques. If they don't have photos, though, it doesn't really bother me.

I enjoy Armorama and getting to know the "virtual personalities" of my fellow members. I also appreciate the people who make Armorama the great place it is. I'll continue to post my finished builds (maybe one day I'll try a build log), and hope to always improve my skills based on feedback, comments, and suggestions.

Michael
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 09:12 AM UTC
If the advice is sound what difference does it make if the guy who gives it has posted his own work or not?
I just don't see how that would make any difference.

Mark
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If the advice is sound what difference does it make if the guy who gives it has posted his own work or not?

How do you know if the advice is sound unless you can see the result? It's easier to describe the technique, but often people want to see step by step photos. That's why people sell DVDs about weathering.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

How do you know if the advice is sound unless you can see the result? It's easier to describe the technique, but often people want to see step by step photos. That's why people sell DVDs about weathering.

My take on all this- we build to satisfy our need to accomplish something. We feel the need to do better thru the passage of time and best ourselves at our own skill...we ask advice on certain subjects to get a different perspective on how to possibly do something better than we do now or at least for abstract comparison. We ask for input on the subject to see if anyone has a better way to build our mousetrap so to speak....simply take the advice either spoken or pictured and "try" it yourself to see if you like it...we build what we build not for others but for ourselves and I supose in hopes folks like what we did too. We share our lil triumphs as we can....some people can easily explain what they did rather than take pictures of it and other's "may" have to rely on pictures to easily explain the process...either way, it's up to us, the modeler, to lead our own horse to water and drink as we see fit and try new things however it's described to us. While you might need a blow by blow of how it's done, the other guy might think this is common place stuff and that it doesn't need to be explained...or the builder simply didn't have the chance to dispaly pics of everything...you can't go back and undo the project to take pics for people now can ya? Some folks are of the "I learned this process on my own so you'll have to as well". It's hard to ask that everything be shown sometimes...not impossible mind you...but difficult since some folks may see that as overkill. All I can say is try something new, maybe even get out of that genre and build something totally different....you might even like it or the way it turned out.
Dang I talk too much, this horse is gonna go get a drink!

thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 01:15 PM UTC
Sound advice with pictures ? That's a new one !

Next time a friend is up-set and ask for advice . I'll make sure I have some pic's to back up what I'm saying
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 01:21 PM UTC
A picture may be worth a thousand words but sometimes it takes over 10,000 words to post a picture on-line.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 02:10 PM UTC
Old-Dragon;

Very well put and on that fine statement, it should end this brew-ha-ha. As you said, lets just try new things and lets start building.

Sam
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 2,713 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 03:56 PM UTC
For credible, solid, proven, well-founded, tested, documented (and whatever it takes to have that comfort feeling) advice: the best way is to go seek the expert/s. Saves time and the mental anguish whether this person knows (or has done) what he's talking about.

Broadcast the need for advice / comment to the general population? -- then be prepared to get all sorts of feedback. People would naturally comment without seeing the need to list down their qualifications or credentials. Try to inject doubt on someone's comment, and for sure you'd get -- why ask in the first place.

Pop the question, get the response/s, and do the thank yous. What matters next is what one does with the advice solicited.

Cheers,

Tat
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 04:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Everyones model is different. Constructive citism and advice is good, but having to listen to people telling me how to do things, is crap. Post pics or shut up!

Sorry for being 'critical' but this comment is what is crap. And the fact that more people aren't calling you out on this Matt is sad indeed. If you are going to have that attitude than I would simply avoid posting your work on the Internet.

Point of fact... I haven't finished a model in decades, but that doesn't mean I don't have feedback for people that might be of use to them. If Ron Volstad (who as far as I know has never posted a model photo here) gave you some advice on painting, would you berate his motives as well?

Jim
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 06:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Everyones model is different. Constructive citism and advice is good, but having to listen to people telling me how to do things, is crap. Post pics or shut up!

Sorry for being 'critical' but this comment is what is crap. And the fact that more people aren't calling you out on this Matt is sad indeed. If you are going to have that attitude than I would simply avoid posting your work on the Internet.

Point of fact... I haven't finished a model in decades, but that doesn't mean I don't have feedback for people that might be of use to them. If Ron Volstad (who as far as I know has never posted a model photo here) gave you some advice on painting, would you berate his motives as well?

Jim

I wholeheartedly agree, Jim. This site does not have a requirement to post pics or show finished product. Should someone who works for Caterpillar not give advice on how a D9 blade typically gets weathered? Should an Abrams driver not be allowed to comment on how the hulls are affected by the crews' boots and other abuses? Matt's comment seems very off base. Matt - if you don't "want people telling you how to do" things, why post here? From the advice I've seen on this site, people offer feedback, not "tell you how to do something". Matt- here's a beer to mellow you out !I don't post pics because my kits aren't that great, but mostly I find it too difficult. Maybe one day!
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 07:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jim

Well Jim, we don't see your work, so you must think it;s crap too.

I sometimes do, but post it to get advice to see how i can improve it. I guess I would like to see what others can do to learn from it. Having somone tell em to do something maybe helpful, but having pics along with it is a lot easier for me. What i guess i was trying to say is we all learn differently. I need someone to show me how to do it, rathyer than tell me. And for all the pople who comment and give advice or critism, thanks.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 08:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Having somone tell em to do something maybe helpful, but having pics along with it is a lot easier for me. What i guess i was trying to say is we all learn differently. I need someone to show me how to do it, rathyer than tell me.

Where do the people who sell DVDs get their information?
When I came into the hobby about 8 years ago, I remember reading an interview, or comment, by MIG. He said that most of his inspiration came from beginners ... mostly from their attempts to try new ideas and the mistakes they made. He very rarly found inspiration from masters.

If you will only listen to those who sell DVDs, you are limiting yourself to the latest trends that everybody else has already been trying. I believe you can learn as much from the amature who failed and from his/her mistakes than the master who gets everything perfect first time.
I appreciate each and every reply when I post something, as Im posting as much for the newest member as the best known modeller on the site. If somebody takes the time to post and has feedback, is it not worth considering? You have no idea how many times MIGs comments have come true for me.

The problem here appears to be the lack of knowledge and experience. If you were confident enough, you would have an idea of what would work or what wouldn´t and what you are aiming for, and so be able to filter the feedback to find what you need or what you feel would add to your model. Would you start again if one person who sold DVDs didn´t like your work, or just be satisfied if a bunch of beginners and people whose work you are not familiar with, enjoyed you work?

Who are you modelling for and why do you want to show your work here?
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 09:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That was absolutely uncalled for! I don't know Jim and I'm not taking up for him as much as I find your statement both arrogant and absurd! You have this attitude that your view on this subject is the only acceptable view and anybody who thinks, feels or does anything different is full of it. Pardon me, but who died and made you God?

Quoted Text

I need someone to show me how to do it, rathyer than tell me.

What do I get from this? You need step by step pictures? That's fine. If that was your point why the hell didn't you start this thread by saying you find it easier to learn things by photographs than by written instructions? There are people from all over the world who visit here that have limited English speaking/reading ability and I know the same holds true for them where pictures mean more than words in conveying an idea. I watch a lot of Japanese model building videos on YouTube and don't understand a bit of Japanese but still learn a lot from watching them.

If that is what you meant, I get it. But your arrogance, bullying manner, calling people's builds crap, and ugly way you are trying to make this point isn't going to win you any friends. You need to work on some issues other than modeling, my friend, and pictures aren't going to help you there.

It's easy to believe your "It's crap" would be exactly the words you'd use for feedback on any model that didn't meet your expectation of what it should be. And that's exactly the concern many have who don't post their completed work have, myself included.

BTW- I just checked and you have 1 model, a single figure, with 12 pictures posted. I also noticed the "modeling (Duh!)" listed under interests in your profile. Believe me, after seeing the figure and reading that I am biting my tongue bloody to keep my mouth shut.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 10:44 PM UTC
Dang Jim that must hurt.

A lot are what I think they call them 'Arm Chair Modelers'

Can tell you that you are off 4 rivets on that Sherman but never do any work themselves.

Now a few on here have not posted any models in Years but there work of years ago is fantastic.

These are the ones you need to listen to not somebody that just pops in never has posted nothing about anything and starts to diss everybody's stuff sorry but my way of thinking.

If you have never built a model why be a member of a site that is all about the building of them?

Like me joining a site on the Piano I know squat about so should I tell one of the Upper echelon of folks there that there playing sucks? and if it were me.

Cheers

grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That was absolutely uncalled for! I don't know Jim and I'm not taking up for him as much as I find your statement both arrogant and absurd! You have this attitude that your view on this subject is the only acceptable view and anybody who thinks, feels or does anything different is full of it. Pardon me, but who died and made you God?

Quoted Text

I need someone to show me how to do it, rathyer than tell me.

What do I get from this? You need step by step pictures? That's fine. If that was your point why the hell didn't you start this thread by saying you find it easier to learn things by photographs than by written instructions? There are people from all over the world who visit here that have limited English speaking/reading ability and I know the same holds true for them where pictures mean more than words in conveying an idea. I watch a lot of Japanese model building videos on YouTube and don't understand a bit of Japanese but still learn a lot from watching them.

If that is what you meant, I get it. But your arrogance, bullying manner, calling people's builds crap, and ugly way you are trying to make this point isn't going to win you any friends. You need to work on some issues other than modeling, my friend, and pictures aren't going to help you there.

It's easy to believe your "It's crap" would be exactly the words you'd use for feedback on any model that didn't meet your expectation of what it should be. And that's exactly the concern many have who don't post their completed work have, myself included.

BTW- I just checked and you have 1 model, a single figure, with 12 pictures posted. I also noticed the "modeling (Duh!)" listed under interests in your profile. Believe me, after seeing the figure and reading that I am biting my tongue bloody to keep my mouth shut.

Mate, have a cup of cement and harden the f@#k up. You can comment all you want about my models, i don't psarticularly care. At least i show mine, unlike you.

The "modeling (duh!)" under interests was meant to be a joke, you know humor? maybe you don't have a sense of humor to understand.

And at now time, on ANY of the modelling forums have i called anyones work crap. The oly corrections i have pointed out are for stuff i know about, all other posts are positive. Never negative.

A couple of things i wish to apologise is to my ogiginal reply to Jim Starkweather. My reply was wrong, as i didn't understand what you meant until reading it. Also if my attidue comes off as if only my oppinions count, that i am God because someone died,i don't mean that. Everyone reads different things into what i say, and i'm srry if i dont make it clear enough.

Quoted Text

I need someone to show me how to do it, rather than tell me.

I guess i need to look athe tutorials and ask more. My bad!
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Where do the people who sell DVDs get their information?
When I came into the hobby about 8 years ago, I remember reading an interview, or comment, by MIG. He said that most of his inspiration came from beginners ... mostly from their attempts to try new ideas and the mistakes they made. He very rarly found inspiration from masters.

If you will only listen to those who sell DVDs, you are limiting yourself to the latest trends that everybody else has already been trying. I believe you can learn as much from the amature who failed and from his/her mistakes than the master who gets everything perfect first time.
I appreciate each and every reply when I post something, as Im posting as much for the newest member as the best known modeller on the site. If somebody takes the time to post and has feedback, is it not worth considering? You have no idea how many times MIGs comments have come true for me.

A valid point.

I've had constructive criticism from novice modellers and I have nothing against that at all. Definitely they've pointed out things about my models I didn't think about. I'm talking about a very small minority on this website who can be very vocal. They talk the talk, but do they walk the walk?
Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 363 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 11:38 PM UTC
Guys, it sounds to me like this is goig to end up as a big sledging match. Do you think that we should just leave this one be and move on with our lives?

I mean, someone can demand that you do a specific technique or tell you that what you done is completely wrong all they like, but whether you actually pay attention to what they say or not is entirely up to you. It's not like we're architects or studying algebra where the idea is to get what we do absolutely correct, this is a hobby in which we can create anything that we want in any way that we want to.

Does this make sense?
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does this make sense?

More then you think... Over on the Dutch section I often use the words... everybody gets a vote but there is only one that decides and that one is... me
Griffon65
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 363 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 11:49 PM UTC
hahaha , yep, that's pretty much what I'm saying

But that doesn't mean that I won't listen to what other people say. Quite the contrary, actually. Especially as I've only just bought my first airbrush
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 11:54 PM UTC
Nope I have the same... when people come with good tips or stuff that enhances the vehicle or project I'm working on I at least test it on an old vehicle to see if I like it... And if I like it I add it to what I'm working on... if I don't, I don't. Easy as that
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 12:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys, it sounds to me like this is goig to end up as a big sledging match. Do you think that we should just leave this one be and move on with our lives?

I mean, someone can demand that you do a specific technique or tell you that what you done is completely wrong all they like, but whether you actually pay attention to what they say or not is entirely up to you. It's not like we're architects or studying algebra where the idea is to get what we do absolutely correct, this is a hobby in which we can create anything that we want in any way that we want to.

Does this make sense?

Makes sense. I'm ready to move on!

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 12:35 AM UTC
Another rather interesting thread. Well, at least for me it's been interesting and amusing.
On one side of the page--- I read if you don't post photos of your own work, you know nothing and have no right to offer constructive criticism, or point out obvious flaws, and mistakes.
On the other side--- since quite a few rather well know modelers do not post photos of their work here, does that mean they are suddenly brain dead, and can't participate in the forums. Especially if their postings are clearly meant to help another modeler?
I haven't finished a model in nearly two years, started quite a few -- but haven't finished any--- I guess the pass 50 years of modeling mean nothing and I suddenly have become mentally challenged and lost all knowledge, if I remark to little "bobby" that his frickin fenders are on back-wards or that his taillights are not painted correctly, or what a lovely finger print in the middle of your turret, or sorry--- it might look cool on your latest video game and movie, but it never happened or never looked like that, and certainly never happened looking like that.
I guess that Ron Volstad whom I never seen post a model knows nothing about modeling or the hobby.
I guess that David Byrden, another person I've never seen post a model really knows nothing about Tigers.
I guess David Doyle another person whom I've never seen post a photo of a model knows nothing about soft-skins, and we should pay no attention to their free help and encouragement to get things somewhat correct, to accept all criticisms and comments for what they are.
Someone taking their own time to try to help another modeler, asking for nothing in exchange, and certainly expecting nothing.

I'm sorry, but if all you are looking for is "at a boy" and "greatest model I ever saw" I afraid you are not going to find that here-- at least not from me.

afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,556 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 01:37 AM UTC
This thread seems to have got massively out of hand, but as I read it the criticism of some people is that there are some armchair experts on this forum and every other forum for that matter who are happy to slate other peoples work, and pick them up on every detail but never show their own work. The most obvious example I can think of on this site was late Herbert Ackermans, who regularly posted critiques of other peoples models but never showed any of his own work, I can think of a few other characters that have been past members of this site who have also done the same thing.

I personally think that being a bit fed up with those sorts of characters is perfectly valid. Im not criticizing the people who post constructive comments and engage in discussions but never post pictures, but more the experts who spend their days in front of a computer screen knocking other peoples work and generally getting incredibly anal about details when they never show any of their own super detailed, 100% accurate models.

And to all those people who have said they feel their work isnt goo enough to post pics-PLEASE get posting, no one here is going to smash you down, the best way of learning and developing in this hobby is to share you work and hear constructive critiques.