Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modellers that give advice, but...
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 366 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 02:15 AM UTC
There was a man who complained because he had no shoes , then he met a man who had no feet .

If you do your best , who can ask for more ?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This thread seems to have got massively out of hand, but as I read it the criticism of some people is that there are some armchair experts on this forum and every other forum for that matter who are happy to slate other peoples work, and pick them up on every detail but never show their own work. The most obvious example I can think of on this site was late Herbert Ackermans, who regularly posted critiques of other peoples models but never showed any of his own work, I can think of a few other characters that have been past members of this site who have also done the same thing.

I personally think that being a bit fed up with those sorts of characters is perfectly valid. Im not criticizing the people who post constructive comments and engage in discussions but never post pictures, but more the experts who spend their days in front of a computer screen knocking other peoples work and generally getting incredibly anal about details when they never show any of their own super detailed, 100% accurate models.

And to all those people who have said they feel their work isnt goo enough to post pics-PLEASE get posting, no one here is going to smash you down, the best way of learning and developing in this hobby is to share you work and hear constructive critiques.

Rob, I agree... every forum has their share of armchair experts who do nothing but---(and here comes another can of worms---) count rivets and God forbid nit pick. But they do have that right, don't they? (If they didn't do so much counting of rivets and angles and dangles, we would still be building 1/32 scale Monogram kits) Don't most sites have some sort of a constructive feedback forum? If it's not for constructive feedback, what's it there for? In old age, I've learned a lot on the INTERNET--- most important thing is not everyone speaks or writes English the same way I do, even English speaking countries, so I JUST MAY MISINTERPRET SOMETHING! I just may not be able to distinguish between some thing said in jest from an on line friend, and something meaning something totally different. (again maybe it's an age thing-- but when I'm with modelers in real life that I've know for 30 - 40 years we seem to laugh and joke a lot about each others models-- mistakes and all, we don't take it as a life and death situation, and wear the hobby as a loose garment) Unfortunately on the INTERNET, so many do, and there goes the fun of the hobby, and when a hobby is no longer fun, enjoyable, and relaxing, it's time to find another hobby. (Maybe that's why I haven't finished anything in two years!) I personally don't believe that anybody should be afraid of posting photos of their work, anymore that I believe all remarks need to be "that's great". I'm too old to believe in the "perfect model" "perfect modeler" and Santa Claus.

90% of the models I see on the INTERNET, I personally enjoy seeing, and use for inspiration and ideas.
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .How do you know if the advice is sound unless you can see the result? It's easier to describe the technique, but often people want to see step by step photos. That's why people sell DVDs about weathering. . ."

Thats why I sell CD and downloads with step by step kit review instructions. But generally as some have said, its a bit like burnout. Here is a litte something I worked up when asked about the issue.

"The subject of this memo is burnout. That dread affliction first diagnosed in 1916 by Dr. Hertz Van Rental while he was but an intern at Sister Consumpta's free clinic / bar and grill. It is noted in that with the diagnosis of AMS (Advanced Modeler's Syndrome) that the patient may find that there develops dry and scaly (1/72) patches. This is often accompanied by bouts of lacko-ntrest in modeling. These are but symptoms of larger issues.

Most critically is the visual aspect of wide open pupils, noting verbally "...I will never build all of these kits..."

The road map to modeling longevity is a healthy outlook.
1. Never let healthy competition (contests) and their outcome taint your enjoyment of the build.

2. Build for yourself, but never be afraid to try new things. Variety is the spice.

3. Stay out of ruts. Consume solid norishment and beware of fast internet feeding frenzys. Take your reference information first hand not the from 30 year old speculations and regurge that lead to disappointment when you discover your triplane should be red and white not blue and white.

4. Have a life away from modeling. Life is short and you can't take anything with you when you go. Enjoy yourself.

5. Nothing is permanent, there is always room for one more build.

6. Revisit an old friend. Take one of your favorites down from the shelf and build it without aftermarket PE, resin or decals. Out of the Box therapy.

7. Evaluate your condition and pick the therapy that gives you the fresh perspective.

8. Never mix alcohol and cyano...it does not make a better bonding agent. Trust me on this one.

9. Visit the Aeroscale hangar and peek under the tarps...Especially over on Merlin's side...

10.Have fun, its a hobby enjoy the praises and critiques of people you respect & admire. Never take anything personally.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,556 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

This thread seems to have got massively out of hand, but as I read it the criticism of some people is that there are some armchair experts on this forum and every other forum for that matter who are happy to slate other peoples work, and pick them up on every detail but never show their own work. The most obvious example I can think of on this site was late Herbert Ackermans, who regularly posted critiques of other peoples models but never showed any of his own work, I can think of a few other characters that have been past members of this site who have also done the same thing.

I personally think that being a bit fed up with those sorts of characters is perfectly valid. Im not criticizing the people who post constructive comments and engage in discussions but never post pictures, but more the experts who spend their days in front of a computer screen knocking other peoples work and generally getting incredibly anal about details when they never show any of their own super detailed, 100% accurate models.

And to all those people who have said they feel their work isnt goo enough to post pics-PLEASE get posting, no one here is going to smash you down, the best way of learning and developing in this hobby is to share you work and hear constructive critiques.

Rob, I agree... every forum has their share of armchair experts who do nothing but---(and here comes another can of worms---) count rivets and God forbid nit pick. But they do have that right, don't they? (If they didn't do so much counting of rivets and angles and dangles, we would still be building 1/32 scale Monogram kits) Don't most sites have some sort of a constructive feedback forum? If it's not for constructive feedback, what's it there for? In old age, I've learned a lot on the INTERNET--- most important thing is not everyone speaks or writes English the same way I do, even English speaking countries, so I JUST MAY MISINTERPRET SOMETHING! I just may not be able to distinguish between some thing said in jest from an on line friend, and something meaning something totally different. (again maybe it's an age thing-- but when I'm with modelers in real life that I've know for 30 - 40 years we seem to laugh and joke a lot about each others models-- mistakes and all, we don't take it as a life and death situation, and wear the hobby as a loose garment) Unfortunately on the INTERNET, so many do, and there goes the fun of the hobby, and when a hobby is no longer fun, enjoyable, and relaxing, it's time to find another hobby. (Maybe that's why I haven't finished anything in two years!) I personally don't believe that anybody should be afraid of posting photos of their work, anymore that I believe all remarks need to be "that's great". I'm too old to believe in the "perfect model" "perfect modeler" and Santa Claus.

90% of the models I see on the INTERNET, I personally enjoy seeing, and use for inspiration and ideas.

Completely agree, heck I count rivets and I nit pick, I appreciate those those individuals no end who model for accuracy, im one of them and im proud to say it. I guess the point I was trying to make is it can be a little annoying when individuals just nit pick, and criticize without ever showing any of their own work.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 04:25 AM UTC
well,
If I didn't want people to comment on my models I wouldn't post them at all. I want to get criticism when I post a build of mine. It's the only way to get better in the hobby. I don't mind if the person that is giving his or hers opinion had posted a build in the forum prior to commenting on mine. even when someone says that that weathering is on the rough side to their taste, it's something that you can work with, as to try an go lightly with it in the next model.

also, you can't expect someone to back up their comment with pictures, it's plain stupid, and "shutting them up" won't do good to anyone. you can't have people go and setup a picture of the specific affect, just becuase you want them to "proof" they know what they are talking about.with this attitude you'd be left alone, and indeed, there will be no point of you posting any work at all.
that's as far as comments go.

now, if you want to learn a new technique, then an article with pictures is better then one without, and same goes for all those DVD's with how-to and that sort of stuff. in this field, a visual aid in needed, and article with such aids is better then one without. but as for comments on the forum with people's opinions, remarks, criticism and what-not its not needed.
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 78 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hi
I build reasonable models, I do post pic's not as many though that I'd like due mainly to the album space on here. I put lots in a photo site. I've learnt so much more since being on sites like this & my local model club through freindly critisim & helpful hints. It's not just on this site that this happens. Even in model clubs you get people that are always telling you what you should be doing to get it right but they Never bring any of there work to club meetings ( afraid of what might be said )
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,019 Posts
KitMaker Network: 332 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mate, have a cup of cement and harden the f@#k up. You can comment all you want about my models, i don't psarticularly care. At least i show mine, unlike you.

Some of my stuff is here, just not in the photo area Armorama provides. I use a separate photo hosting service because the one here is too small. My sister has lived in Oz in Victoria for about 20 years and still does. I'll have her explain the cup of cement thing. Here in the US your comment has a bit of a different meaning. Basically, you wanting me to "harden up" makes me uncomfortable!:D

Quoted Text

The "modeling (duh!)" under interests was meant to be a joke, you know humor? maybe you don't have a sense of humor to understand.

I have a very good, albeit twisted at times, sense of humor. I got what you meant but people do have other interests or specific areas of modeling. I went from cars to aircraft to exclusively military. having no other interests is plenty fine, too!

Quoted Text

And at now time, on ANY of the modelling forums have i called anyones work crap. The oly corrections i have pointed out are for stuff i know about, all other posts are positive. Never negative.

Glad to hear that!

Quoted Text

A couple of things i wish to apologise is to my ogiginal reply to Jim Starkweather. My reply was wrong, as i didn't understand what you meant until reading it. Also if my attidue comes off as if only my oppinions count, that i am God because someone died,i don't mean that. Everyone reads different things into what i say, and i'm srry if i dont make it clear enough.

I tip my hat to you for manning up to that. Honestly, I don't think you likely meant to come off as you did. I think you could have chosen your words better. I still don't get your logic. We can agree to disagree on that, but I think you are shortchanging yourself if you set such standards before you feel anyone has anything valid to say to you.

Quoted Text

I need someone to show me how to do it, rather than tell me.
I guess i need to look athe tutorials and ask more. My bad!

I made a folder in My Favorites labeled Modeling. I have folders within it linking to any build logs, techniques, etc. here I want to keep for future reference. The downside is those who use the picture hosting service here often delete old pictures to make room for new ones. It's maddening when I recall an old article and the pictures are gone replaced by the boxes with the X inside. I also have a vendor folder, a reference folder, a painting scheme folder, etc. in my Modeling folder. It's subdivided by nationality, era, AFV, soft skin, and on and on. It's very useful.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's maddening when I recall an old article and the pictures are gone replaced by the boxes with the X inside.

Hi Jim. Save the whole page on your C drive instead of saving links. Don´t know how many good pages have dissapeared over the years, in the way you mentioned.

Click on "file" (top left hand corner) of your screen
And then "save as"
I usually save in "MHT" format. I can click on the page and open it as it was, even if all the images are gone.
Files are usually 3 or 4MB in size, for a typical Armorama page.

Sorry ... no images of how to do this
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 08:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It's maddening when I recall an old article and the pictures are gone replaced by the boxes with the X inside.

Hi Jim. Save the whole page on your C drive instead of saving links. Don´t know how many good pages have dissapeared over the years, in the way you mentioned.

And then "save as"
I usually save in "MHT" format. I can click on the page and open it as it was, even if all the images are gone.

Hi Frank! Doggone it! No pictures?! How can I trust what you say? Oh, wait- you DO have pictures of lots of your builds here! That reminds me, I owe you an apology for commenting on the Hotchkiss diorama you did some months ago with the broken track because I mentioned the tank would have been traveling in reverse for the track to come off like that. No pictures at the time myself and all that. Will you accept my most sincere, humble apology?

(See, I DO have a sense of humor!!)

Anyway,I'll try saving like that again. I had a few files I previously saved like that but on reopening them they had re-sized and the text was a tiny font with correspondingly small pictures as well. I experimented with a couple screen capture programs but most are so tedious to use it isn't worth the hassle. I did make a few reference documents in Word cutting/pasting and removing the formatting to clean it up. I edited out the posts that didn't have any pertinent contribution to the project at hand to shorten them, but left in all the questions & answers. They came out pretty good (Don't worry folks, these are all for my private use. There's nobody to share them with here anyway since the only model building friends I have are through here and some other modeling sites!) So, long way 'round I will try that again. it will be a lifesaver! Thanks for the tip!

You know, there are quite a few build logs that started out so swimmingly and then just stopped. One in particular, a super detailed, error corrected Maus, was hugely disappointing to me in that the builder never posted back after an excellent start. There was a MAZ transporter as well that got half-way done and then died out a few others came long and filled the gap. I have a sinking feeling about the 10 Tiger build because it looks like the pictures are going to Bill's web site. I'm not sure if there will be a way to communicate about it there like we do here. I wish he'd have gone to Webshots or Photobucket and transferred the pictures to there and kept the thread going here, but it's his to do with as he wishes. (Imagine weeping emoticon here- X) - Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dang Jim that must hurt.

A lot are what I think they call them 'Arm Chair Modelers'

Can tell you that you are off 4 rivets on that Sherman but never do any work themselves.

Now a few on here have not posted any models in Years but there work of years ago is fantastic.

These are the ones you need to listen to not somebody that just pops in never has posted nothing about anything and starts to diss everybody's stuff sorry but my way of thinking.

If you have never built a model why be a member of a site that is all about the building of them?

Like me joining a site on the Piano I know squat about so should I tell one of the Upper echelon of folks there that there playing sucks? and if it were me.

Cheers

Heh heh - I had to post this again because over all these years, Jeff, your posts have always made me smile! If I could wish to stay grounded - I'd wish to stay "grounded" like you...

Matt - I read your posts, and tried read them and stay neutral. I think everyone else has thumped you pretty good on them now. I don't like to pile on.

Sharing my sentiments with you as a veteran modeler, and perhaps someone who's gained a little Internet fame at some time in the past - I have to honestly say I refrain from critique or comment mostly because I don't understand what the posting modeler is seeking.

Modeling is a really personal hobby. I take mine seriously - whether or not I'm building something to amuse myself or for commission. I think others modelers are sincere like that too in their efforts, and want quality feedback when they ask for it. It would be great if you told everyone (when seeking the feedback) that pictures are really helpful for you to see the technique. There are lots of modelers who can help out.

Don't get dismayed if you don't get a flood of photos or commentary, however, because many don't always feel comfortable "jumping in there" with posters that they aren't familiar with. Again, it's because you never know how a person is going to take (accept) the comment(s). When our Site was founded - the atmosphere was quite different from today. Not a bad thing. Not a good thing - just different. Over the years, I have grown less comfortable with "jumping out there" on a public forum than I did from Day One. Just some less-than-good experiences, that's all. I have been solicited privately and directly when a modeler wants that kind of feedback. I feel more comfortable in that situation, and I know there are others who are comfortable with that too.

Cheers to you for sticking your neck out there! Though I might think your choice in approaching this kind of feedback/response could have been different - you made that step. It takes courage, the same kind of courage it takes to swallow critique when you ask - and get it.

I hope you want to continue asking questions and encouraging sharing of modeling by displaying your own. It doesn't really matter ultimately if you are a "Modeling God" - in your own mind in your own workspace, or surrounded by a bunch of modelers tossing kudos your way. As long as you are sharing, and feel like you are being received, then it's all good.

That's the best part of participating in a forum like this.

Jim L.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And then "save as"

So, long way 'round I will try that again. it will be a lifesaver! Thanks for the tip!

Just be sure to select the option to save the complete web page, not just the HTML. Just tried on Firefox: saving just the HTML results in an HTML file that doesn't refer to the graphics there might be online, it's just the bare bones.
Saving the pages completely saves the page in question with graphics, CSS, and what-have-you.
When viewing that saved page, all the links on the page of course refer to the original online resources specified in the HTML, which you'll be able to click to, provided you have a connection and the linked stuff is still there.

Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just be sure to select the option to save the complete web page, not just the HTML. Just tried on Firefox: saving just the HTML results in an HTML file that doesn't refer to the graphics there might be online, it's just the bare bones.
Saving the pages completely saves the page in question with graphics, CSS, and what-have-you.
When viewing that saved page, all the links on the page of course refer to the original online resources specified in the HTML, which you'll be able to click to, provided you have a connection and the linked stuff is still there.

Thanks for that! I have Firefox on my PC but seldom use it because I have several vital (to me) programs added on to my IE8. I hadn't even thought of trying to save with it. I don't think IE gives an option directly on how/what to store the save as. It may be a setting somewhere other than from the menu, but if FF has that option problem solved!

I'm thinking about moving all my model related stuff to an external drive. Over the years I have amassed so many pictures, videos, e-books, links, etc. related to model building moving them to an external drive would clear off my C drive some more. (500 GB master & 500 GB slave both about full)

Again, many thanks for the tip!

UPDATE- Just retried it with IE8 and it worked near as I can tell. I forgot the setting is in an extra drop down menu from the Save window. The links appear to stay active when I reloaded it which is nice. Now I wonder what the heck I did when I first tried this ages ago when it came back up resized so small.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 10:50 AM UTC
I won't get into the whole spirited debate going on here. I will however answer Brett's original post, as it occurred to me that he might well have written it specifically about me! It sounds like me, anyway. I don't take offence to it though.

I've been the Moderator / Host of the Armorama Painting Forum for a year or so now. I have made 2,077 posts and probably 2,000 of those are answering questions or giving advice. But I've never posted a photo portfolio of any of my models on Armorama. There are several reasons for this. First, my model photos really really suck. Second, I don't really enjoy photographing my models. I have a 20 year old Sony Mavica camera with low resolution. Look at the photos in my reviews and you'll see how bad they are. I'm a modest guy. I don't look for praise, I just enjoy building, painting, weathering, and talking models. I don't toot my own horn, I don't advertise how many awards I've won or who I know. I don't do commissions, magazine articles, or books and DVD's although I've been asked to. I don't stop and take a photo of every single step of every single procedure anticipating that someone might ask how to do that someday. I'd never get a model done. I get about 2 - 3 kits a year finished but I'd like to do 6.
I am not an armchair expert. I can remember how I did something without having pictures of it. I never suggest something unless I've been doing it on my own models. So far to my knowledge, in 2,000 posts, I've never steered anybody wrong but I know I've helped a lot of people. I could list my qualifications, but like I said I'm a modest guy and what would that accomplish? Two months ago I was invited to teach at an armor modeling seminar day attended by about 30 people from 3 states and I answered hundreds of questions and demonstrated lots of techniques. Yesterday I received a large box from Vallejo ( for free and they asked to send it to me ) full of new product that they want me to try out and comment on, and so I could give advice about their product on our forums. I could continue to drop names and stuff but like I said that just makes me sound like an ass.
The guys in my club see my stuff all the time. Frankly, I don't think I'm the best modeler in the club, either. There are plenty of guys here better than me, too. If you would like to see some crappy pictures of 4 of my models, they are on our club's website Northeast Military Modeler's Association GalleryI assure you they look much better in person.
So, I'm one of those guys who give painting and weathering advice but never post photos of my models here. I just don't have the time, equipment, or inclination. I just like to build & paint models and swap stories here. You are right, some guys are arrogant and some guys just give advice but never build and some guys just like to spout off. I like to think I'm not one of them, and I'm on Armorama because in comparison to other sites, there are very few of those types here. I really enjoy the community and comeraderie here. But I can back up my advice with decent builds and I've found that most guys here can, too.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 11:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1)I haven't finished a model in nearly two years, started quite a few -- but haven't finished any--- I guess the pass 50 years of modeling mean nothing and I suddenly have become mentally challenged and lost all knowledge
2), if I remark to little "bobby" that his frickin fenders are on back-wards or that his taillights are not painted correctly, or what a lovely finger print in the middle of your turret, or sorry--- it might look cool on your latest video game and movie, but it never happened or never looked like that, and certainly never happened looking like that.
3)I'm sorry, but if all you are looking for is "at a boy" and "greatest model I ever saw" I afraid you are not going to find that here-- at least not from me.

1- Dave, for posting all those wondeful real antique car pics and no build you are hereby confined to the corner to where you should start any old car model. Finishing isn't a requirement{nice to see I'm not the only one with a "still to do" list....hehehe...ouch}
2-Those fenders are supposed to be that way!
3-...well your no fun!!!
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 11:36 AM UTC
Advice given, with or without pictures, is only good if you try it either way...and like the result.

Now...everybody let's shake hands and come out building except for me and dave..I guess I have to buff out a finger print on the morgan and dave has another kit to start so he has more not done than me{if that's possible}.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 11:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I won't get into the whole spirited debate going on here. I will however answer Brett's original post, as it occurred to me that he might well have written it specifically about me! It sounds like me, anyway. I don't take offence to it though.

I've been the Moderator / Host of the Armorama Painting Forum for a year or so now. I have made 2,077 posts and probably 2,000 of those are answering questions or giving advice. But I've never posted a photo portfolio of any of my models on Armorama. There are several reasons for this. First, my model photos really really suck. Second, I don't really enjoy photographing my models. I have a 20 year old Sony Mavica camera with low resolution. Look at the photos in my reviews and you'll see how bad they are. I'm a modest guy. I don't look for praise, I just enjoy building, painting, weathering, and talking models. I don't toot my own horn, I don't advertise how many awards I've won or who I know. I don't do commissions, magazine articles, or books and DVD's although I've been asked to. I don't stop and take a photo of every single step of every single procedure anticipating that someone might ask how to do that someday. I'd never get a model done. I get about 2 - 3 kits a year finished but I'd like to do 6.
I am not an armchair expert. I can remember how I did something without having pictures of it. I never suggest something unless I've been doing it on my own models. So far to my knowledge, in 2,000 posts, I've never steered anybody wrong but I know I've helped a lot of people. I could list my qualifications, but like I said I'm a modest guy and what would that accomplish? Two months ago I was invited to teach at an armor modeling seminar day attended by about 30 people from 3 states and I answered hundreds of questions and demonstrated lots of techniques. Yesterday I received a large box from Vallejo ( for free and they asked to send it to me ) full of new product that they want me to try out and comment on, and so I could give advice about their product on our forums. I could continue to drop names and stuff but like I said that just makes me sound like an ass.
The guys in my club see my stuff all the time. Frankly, I don't think I'm the best modeler in the club, either. There are plenty of guys here better than me, too. If you would like to see some crappy pictures of 4 of my models, they are on our club's website Northeast Military Modeler's Association GalleryI assure you they look much better in person.
So, I'm one of those guys who give painting and weathering advice but never post photos of my models here. I just don't have the time, equipment, or inclination. I just like to build & paint models and swap stories here. You are right, some guys are arrogant and some guys just give advice but never build and some guys just like to spout off. I like to think I'm not one of them, and I'm on Armorama because in comparison to other sites, there are very few of those types here. I really enjoy the community and comeraderie here. But I can back up my advice with decent builds and I've found that most guys here can, too.

And I for one can attest to your advice! I remember the first one was a British Quad Gun truck I had doubts about the color of the paint. You said it was fine. I still wasn't sure but the recent release of Warpaint- Colours and Markings of British Army Vehicles 1903 to 2003 by Dick Taylor proved you were 100% correct. I bought an Iwata airbrush based on your recommendation to me when I asked and it is my favorite out of my half dozen ABs. When we were discussing alternative paint thinners instead of the high $ stuff from the paint companies you were right on the money. Your recent recommendation of DOA Track Brown when I was having trouble with paint sticking to plastic and vinyl tracks was the latest help you gave me that spot on. I also bought a full set of their weathering pigments. There are probably at least a dozen times you stepped up that way. You've been one of the most helpful members here for me and I believed so strongly in your advice I spent several hundred dollars following it. Every cent was worth it. Looking for pictures never even occurred to me and I am damn glad you chose to help me when you did.

And it isn't just you- Marco Sari with his techniques, Frenchie the Human Military Vehicle Encyclopedia, TKross are just a few more that I will always be indebted to for their help. There are so many others I owe thanks to as well. Again, I didn't need photographic proof to trust their advice and comments. The community at large proved their worth before I ever saw anything they did.

BTW- In an earlier post someone referred to Herbert Ackermans (sp?) as "late"? Did he pass away?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW- In an earlier post someone referred to Herbert Ackermans (sp?) as "late"? Did he pass away?

No, he left after the last flap about his remarks.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No, he left after the last flap about his remarks.

The guy was a bit abrasive but I'm glad he's still on the planet.

My last exchange with him was over a picture I posted that was a German AFV with rot oxid showing on a few road wheels. The picture was to show the color contrast between the paint on the wheels and the brown used in the camouflage. Apparently this photo has been used to "prove" rot oxid was used as a camo color and he took issue with it. The caption below it clearly stated what was being shown. His comment was sorta like when someone is talking bad about while you're in the room knowing damn well you're there and they make sure you hear it.

I'm sure he's still lurking about out there to see if he's missed.
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 12:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If the advice is sound what difference does it make if the guy who gives it has posted his own work or not?
I just don't see how that would make any difference.

How do you know if the advice is sound unless you can see the result? It's easier to describe the technique, but often people want to see step by step photos. That's why people sell DVDs about weathering.

OK, seriously, you want anyone who post a suggestion to include a tutorial to go with it? Not too likely to happen.

Now on the reality based side of the question, if someone suggest you work more on your seam clean up, there really isn't any need to post his own work to demonstrate the obvious.
If another suggest using a No.2B pencil to make a worn metal look all you need do is experiment with it to see if it works well for you or not. The same is true for nearly every other technique someone might offer. Experimentation is part of the hobby and it's fun!
If you ask for opinions on something you're doing, for instance, trying out a new way of producing paint "chips" and the opinion is offered that you've done too many or your chips are too big, or both, you can accept the opinion and act on it or reject it. Again, you really don't need a photo of the work the other guy's done (it might help but it is not necessary).

Now if your problem is someone is offering criticism of your work ("How dare they!? I haven't seen their work!) your choices are still pretty simple; accept the advice and act on it (or not) or reject them and defend how and why you did things the way you do (or not) or just ignore the input. Seeing the other guy's work is still not necessary (perhaps instructive but still not "necessary").

Another option, which has probably already been mentioned, is if you really just don't want that sort of contribution simply do not post photos of your work 'cause if you do you will have folks wanting to help by making suggestions whether they post their work on-line or not.

Mark
elph
Visit this Community
Seoul, Korea / 대한민국
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

REPLY & QUOTE

Well there you go. There's an explanation for everything. You do have a point. Some people are good at teaching, and some of the experts are not good at explaining or never do.

Also, we've learnt from Frank on how to save pages.

So, some good has come of this thread after all.
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 07:42 PM UTC
[quote
Matt - I read your posts, and tried read them and stay neutral. I think everyone else has thumped you pretty good on them now. I don't like to pile on.

Jim L.[/quote]

Mate, pile on! it's better than me putting my foot in it and getting myself into trouble!

Nah, thanks for the comments.But like i said, i got to take the time and try and get my comments out with out sounding like i'm some sort of Modelling Arsehole God. which i'm not. (well, the arsehole parts true!)
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 07:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mate, have a cup of cement and harden the f@#k up. You can comment all you want about my models, i don't psarticularly care. At least i show mine, unlike you.

Some of my stuff is here, just not in the photo area Armorama provides. I use a separate photo hosting service because the one here is too small. My sister has lived in Oz in Victoria for about 20 years and still does. I'll have her explain the cup of cement thing. Here in the US your comment has a bit of a different meaning. Basically, you wanting me to "harden up" makes me uncomfortable!:D

Quoted Text

The "modeling (duh!)" under interests was meant to be a joke, you know humor? maybe you don't have a sense of humor to understand.

I have a very good, albeit twisted at times, sense of humor. I got what you meant but people do have other interests or specific areas of modeling. I went from cars to aircraft to exclusively military. having no other interests is plenty fine, too!

Quoted Text

And at now time, on ANY of the modelling forums have i called anyones work crap. The oly corrections i have pointed out are for stuff i know about, all other posts are positive. Never negative.

Glad to hear that!

Quoted Text

A couple of things i wish to apologise is to my ogiginal reply to Jim Starkweather. My reply was wrong, as i didn't understand what you meant until reading it. Also if my attidue comes off as if only my oppinions count, that i am God because someone died,i don't mean that. Everyone reads different things into what i say, and i'm srry if i dont make it clear enough.

I tip my hat to you for manning up to that. Honestly, I don't think you likely meant to come off as you did. I think you could have chosen your words better. I still don't get your logic. We can agree to disagree on that, but I think you are shortchanging yourself if you set such standards before you feel anyone has anything valid to say to you.

Quoted Text

I made a folder in My Favorites labeled Modeling. I have folders within it linking to any build logs, techniques, etc. here I want to keep for future reference. The downside is those who use the picture hosting service here often delete old pictures to make room for new ones. It's maddening when I recall an old article and the pictures are gone replaced by the boxes with the X inside. I also have a vendor folder, a reference folder, a painting scheme folder, etc. in my Modeling folder. It's subdivided by nationality, era, AFV, soft skin, and on and on. It's very useful.

Mate, i should have had a bex and a lie down before posting anything in the first place. I sometimes mean something completely different. it's just typing doesnt convey the tone or meaning very well, but i should have taken my time to make it come out clearer.

Sorry for the cement comment, hope it didnt make you feel too uncomfortable! I tend to have a warped sence of humour, and some comments come out wrong, plain wrong, and discustingly wrong!

I do the same on my computer. Everytime i find something useful, i put it in my favourites folder and then in a modelling folder.

Cheers!
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 08:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Glad to hear that!

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mate, i should have had a bex and a lie down before posting anything in the first place. I sometimes mean something completely different. it's just typing doesnt convey the tone or meaning very well, but i should have taken my time to make it come out clearer.

Sorry for the cement comment, hope it didnt make you feel too uncomfortable! I tend to have a warped sence of humour, and some comments come out wrong, plain wrong, and discustingly wrong!

I do the same on my computer. Everytime i find something useful, i put it in my favourites folder and then in a modelling folder.

Cheers!

I took it as a joke and returned it in kind! I occasionally get myself in trouble with people who don't know me. I tend to be lightly sarcastic at times and almost theatrical in person. When I write there are no facial expressions to give clues to my state of mind and no vocal inflection to brace up how I mean what I say. All there is are the words themselves and people filter those through their personalities. It's like trying on someone else's clothes. They seldom fit or look right.

After you explained what you meant several times I got what you said. I tend to think modeling is like many other hobbies or activities where the people who just pretend to be into it reveal themselves eventually. I've seen it in the motorcycling world, another passion of mine, many times. It doesn't take too many conversations or exchanges to conclude the suspect is a poser. It isn't easy to maintain a huge facade for long before it isn't worth the effort. The fakes usually fade away quickly. The ones to worry about tend to weed themselves out.

That all being said, it doesn't mean that there aren't those with knowledge and skills who can and do contribute something without actually being modelers. For example, I believe MIG was educated as an artist and transferred his artistic understanding and ability to modeling. I know there are some walking encyclopedias that can tell you how many flat washers were used on a Panzer IV ausf J hull that also may not build models, but like the company of modelers. Such knowledge is so eclectic that the audience who appreciates and needs what they know is limited. As Maslow stated in his Heirarchy of Needs, you tend to go where you feel needed and appreciated to fulfill yourself as a human being. It works perfectly. One group gets information, advice, and a source of information and another gets to be part of a social group on an equal footing. That's how I view it anyway and was why I didn't understand the criteria you were calling for about the pictures being an indicator of the value of the advice or information. The risk -silencing people or not finding their words useful and ignoring them based on pictures- was just not worth the reward which in itself would be diminished. Even without being cynical anyone can easily lift a picture of a model and do a bit of photoshoping and claim it as their own. It would be pretty safe especially if the picture came from some obscure source. On the other hand if a guy/gal has a couple thousand posts here and has been around for awhile, he/she must have something to say. Only those with a bad wiring harness in the brain can consistently lie that much!

As far as I'm concerned, it's cool by me. No blood, no foul. The only thing you are guilty of was, as you said, not using a good choice of words. A problem understood is half solved. OK fine?
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 09:44 PM UTC
Guys,

I,ve been reading this thread and my first thought was: "here we go again"

someone asks an honest question at the start of the thread, and quickly people are arguing with each other, instead of discussion the subject. I am not going to critize this. This is the internet and it's my own choise to read this or to skip it. It is just an observation I make and it amazes me. This is a webiste dedicated to a hobby. A bunch of people buying plastic kits, glueing the little pieces together and adding some paint to them. It basically nothing more than that, to me at least. That's why I don't understand the heated debates all the time.

I think what I see happening here is what I see on many internet fora. It is I think the result of anonymous communication. People don't talk face to face, and are therefore more "open" in their choise of words. Add to that that written communication often can be perceived as blunt to the reader and we have recipe for a fight. I see this often on youtube when I look for videos of tanks. Comments there a often just full of hatred and racism. Luckily this site has moderators to keep thing civil. However, I think it's rather amusing to see people arguing about plastic thingies and trying to prove their point, without seeing the obvious result: the opponent will never raise the white flag. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a good discussion, but perhaps it's sometime better to agree that you disagree. Life's too short to loose your mind over losing an argument you have with someone on the other side of the globe you would not have ever met in your life without the internet in the first place.

My way of dealing with bad comments or no comments at all on my posts is to accept it's just a part of the internet age.

cheers,

Matthijs (Mat with 1 T)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dang Jim that must hurt.

A lot are what I think they call them 'Arm Chair Modelers'

Can tell you that you are off 4 rivets on that Sherman but never do any work themselves.

Now a few on here have not posted any models in Years but there work of years ago is fantastic.

These are the ones you need to listen to not somebody that just pops in never has posted nothing about anything and starts to diss everybody's stuff sorry but my way of thinking.

If you have never built a model why be a member of a site that is all about the building of them?

Like me joining a site on the Piano I know squat about so should I tell one of the Upper echelon of folks there that there playing sucks? and if it were me.

Cheers

Heh heh - I had to post this again because over all these years, Jeff, your posts have always made me smile! If I could wish to stay grounded - I'd wish to stay "grounded" like you...

Sharing my sentiments with you as a veteran modeler, and perhaps someone who's gained a little Internet fame at some time in the past - I have to honestly say I refrain from critique or comment mostly because I don't understand what the posting modeler is seeking.

Modeling is a really personal hobby. I take mine seriously - whether or not I'm building something to amuse myself or for commission. I think others modelers are sincere like that too in their efforts, and want quality feedback when they ask for it. It would be great if you told everyone (when seeking the feedback) that pictures are really helpful for you to see the technique. There are lots of modelers who can help out.

Don't get dismayed if you don't get a flood of photos or commentary, however, because many don't always feel comfortable "jumping in there" with posters that they aren't familiar with. Again, it's because you never know how a person is going to take (accept) the comment(s). When our Site was founded - the atmosphere was quite different from today. Not a bad thing. Not a good thing - just different. Over the years, I have grown less comfortable with "jumping out there" on a public forum than I did from Day One. Just some less-than-good experiences, that's all. I have been solicited privately and directly when a modeler wants that kind of feedback. I feel more comfortable in that situation, and I know there are others who are comfortable with that too.

Cheers to you for sticking your neck out there! Though I might think your choice in approaching this kind of feedback/response could have been different - you made that step. It takes courage, the same kind of courage it takes to swallow critique when you ask - and get it.

I hope you want to continue asking questions and encouraging sharing of modeling by displaying your own. It doesn't really matter ultimately if you are a "Modeling God" - in your own mind in your own workspace, or surrounded by a bunch of modelers tossing kudos your way. As long as you are sharing, and feel like you are being received, then it's all good.

That's the best part of participating in a forum like this.

Jim L.

Now See this Jim is one to listen too as an Original Fellow

of this site and one of the best I have seen.

That "Babs" is still the best M-10 I have seen

Check out his stuff and you will see.

But Jim does not input too much anymore,which might be bad

for the newer folks like me that are still learning.

Frank is another Grumpy is darn good also A bunch more also.

Most of the older ones know Rob is another with info all over on anything.

So take it as it is a hobby and no one dies if you make a mistake.

Not unlike building a Rocket ship.

Dang good site this Armorama has been to me.

I have come from just Panzer Gray German everything and OD green all American one color of cause all tracks are rusted no matter what.

This place can make you change and improve your builds just by watching and reading.

Many more Armorama

Unlike some sites where only the old timers really get any kind of input then Kudos to each other.

Cheers