_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
mig pigments
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 10:17 PM UTC
im thinking of getting some mig pigments but are they as good as ive heard?
have any of you guys used them and what do you think of them?
also where can i get them in the uk

joe
bep
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 566 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hello Joe,
I've bought them directly trough the internet and I'm very pleased with them. I wrote a review but it is in Dutch.
You can find an article by MIG on how to use them on this link. I'm trying to write an article in English. Still waiting for the permission.
Greetz and enjoy.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw05.htm
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 01:35 AM UTC
greatbrit,
pdi model supplies in milton keynes has them along with historex-agents in dover
taymia mag has done some articles with them including the t-55 2 issues ago find that to see the results.
P.s both these 2 shops have web-sites
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 02:09 AM UTC
Not to blame anybody, but pigments are the basic components for paints. With the money I'll spend for a micro jar of MIG's pigments i go to the local arts craft store and buy almost a wheelbarrow loaded with pigments in lots of colors and shades. They can be mixed together to create the right color/shade that beter suits your needs and can be applied dry, or wet (diluted with plain water, isopropylic alchool or enamel thinner)...
Ciao
stufer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 59 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 02:59 AM UTC
scoccia's right,but i'm from the incredibly lazy school of modelling,and mig's pigments are bang on colourmatch wise.FandF Models also stock them,as does my local branch of Langleys!!There i was on a weekly trip to Norwich city centre and i noticed they had a couple of Mig Production bases."do you stock the pigments?" i asked."Yes we do,they're over there" was the reply,and blow me if they didn't have all the colours!Sorry if i'm sounding too excited but if you know Norwich you'll know how much of an event that was!
(++)
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
I've never heard of mig pigments, what are they?
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 05:04 AM UTC
As I said before they are powders that are at the base of the paints. Usually they come from very fine crushed minerals, and their appearance is quite close to the Phard that the women use for their make-up. They come in an almost infinite variety of colors and shades and you can mix them to obtain more. They are used to weather in a most realistic way the models. If bought at an art craft store they have a reasonable price, if (like anything else) you buy them in a model shop you'll pay a fortune for them.
Hope this can help
Ciao
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 05:05 AM UTC
They look an awful lot like glorified ground up pastels to me. Or the tempera paint I used to sling around in kindergarden...

Shaun
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They look an awful lot like glorified ground up pastels to me

Hmm, the basic is the same, but the pigments are much finer of structure then your average ground up pastels.

The also seem to have a better grip on your model then pastels, giving it more room to play with.
I have seen some effect on models (not used them myself yet) and I know of several (professional) modelers who swear by the pigments.

AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 11:22 AM UTC
I've never seen them anywhere, if I ever do I'll try them.

Thanks
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 06:20 PM UTC
Hi everyone

Because I always just grind up art pastels, I've never bothered to open some packets of Carr's weathering powders which I got years ago. Does anybody know how Carr's would compare to these new Mig powders?

All the best

Rowan
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 06:52 PM UTC
Porky,
if they've got the consistency of very fine dust I think there's no big diffrence but the colour range. In the end they're always artistic pigments...
Ciao
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 08:07 PM UTC
The pigments that MIG uses are just that, the base material that is used in a number of other media, ie in oil paint, in oil or chalk pastels - virtually anything that has need of some form of colouring agent. What you get with the MIG pigments is the BASE material with none of the other media that is used to bind the ingredients together in those other mediums, in effect the pure pigment itself. MIG describes this very well in his article on ML:

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw05.htm

I havent used these myself yet but do intend to get a full set as the results I have seen where they have been used are much better than just ground-up pastels. I guess they are like anything else though in that you have to decide whether you want to spend as much on them - in the UK they retail for about £30 for the set of 10 currently available.

Lee
RobH
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2003 - 03:13 AM UTC
Stufer

I know Norwich and Langleys. WOW! That was an event!
Popped in during April (last visit lowestoft), but it was brief and didn't have time to delve.

I have the MIG pigments but also bought prior to their release proper pure artists pigments. A glass jar of some colours cost £5 or so, but for some, especially the ochres and siennas, the same volume went up to £20+. These are pure artists pigments often from natural sources, and can cost! I left them! Pastels are only a percentage pigment, the remainder being 'filler' to make up the bulk. Brush on pure pigment and ground pastel, and the pigment will go much further and cover better.

As had been said, MIGs pigments are affordable, and good shades geared up to this hobby. They're a good compromise. I'm with the lazy modellers!

Rob
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
From my point of view - the pigments are the latest in a long string of "fads" for armor modeling. With skill and practice, you can do the same with simple pastel chalk. You vary the amount you suspend in your carrier solution to get different effects.

Look how long the drybrushing fad has lasted - Heck - some modelers even try to come up with rational scientific explanations for a trick originally used to make models more photogenic. The same with "wash" techniques that supplemented the drybrush.

Note how quickly "paint chipping, wear, etc" has hit the scene with really extreme styles of weathering that are closer to artistic license than what some real vehicles got subjected to in their service life.

Pigments are here and will be high on the list for the next several months, and then something else will come along. Fun of the hobby - always something new and different - but not necessarily "better".

Just my coffee-driven thought for this morning...

Gunnie
Siggi
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 90 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 09:16 PM UTC
What Gunnie said.
 _GOTOTOP