Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Stores in Manila
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:52 PM UTC
Yeah, I'm more or less "better" prepared form my exam tomorrow (I think... I guess... I hope...) so me cans answering thying questioner. #:-)

The Kawasaki comes with a hose and some connections. None of them fit my airbrush (Badger Model 175 Crescendo). However, with the use of superglue and thermal plastic (little plastic bits that melt when placed in hot water - I got mine from Robinsons Handy Man, but I reckon you can find that at Ace or True Value), I was able to connect the hose and the airbrush. First, using one of the connections that came with the compressor, I glued that to the part of the airbrush where the hose should normally go. The bond wasn't perfect, i.e. not strong enough, but I made sure the holes aligned more or less. I then wrapped the bond with thermal plastic which was already heated and sitting on the bottom of the can filled with hot water. Suffice it to say, it was a bit tricky putting the thermal plastic around the bond without breaking it. Once I was satisfied, I allowed it to cool. Thus, a sealed connection and the airbrush can now be used with the hose that came with the Kawasaki. I used the clamp that came with the compressor to secure the hose to the airbrush.

(if the image above won't appear, go to http://groups.msn.com/armorama/beregovoyspix.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=8902

An alternative to thermal plastic is epoxy putty, but compared to epoxy putty, thermal plastic hardens quite fast once it starts to cool. You have a few minutes to shape the thermal plastic but when it's cool, it's rock solid. With epoxy putty, you have to make sure the bond won't break and you have to wait for a much longer time before using. Also, there's a possibility that the epoxy putty would crack if there is undue stress on the connection (e.g. airbrush falls, removing the hose, etc.), so I prefer thermal plastic.

I have had no problems since doing this improvisation. I'm thinking now of re-doing it just to reposition the water trap I bought (which ought to be closer to the airbrush, not attached directly to the compressor), but overall it works. :-)
warthog
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:50 PM UTC
GIBeregovoy: Thank you very much...and good luck in your exam....
Jeepney: Thanks again..
LaTteX: I guess it would be more than 7K including the compressor coz, the AB alone will already cost about 5K+ (Badger Crescendo 175 -7 set - dual action). You could buy the AB first and use canned propellants also sold by Badger (although they are costly about 300 - 400 depends on the can size). You could also add 300 for the propellant regulator also from badger. I usually buy propellants in Goodwill bookstore makati.

I also saw some single action (internal and external mix) AB in goodwil -- I think they cost from 2K to 3K. I bought my AB in St. Patrick's store along Pasay rd. beside Kamayan in Makati. I forgot the tel no. but they are listed in the directory, maybe you can ask them for a list of available AB including the price. Goodluck
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

GIBeregovoy: Thank you very much...and good luck in your exam....
Jeepney: Thanks again..
LaTteX: I guess it would be more than 7K including the compressor coz, the AB alone will already cost about 5K+ (Badger Crescendo 175 -7 set - dual action). You could buy the AB first and use canned propellants also sold by Badger (although they are costly about 300 - 400 depends on the can size). You could also add 300 for the propellant regulator also from badger. I usually buy propellants in Goodwill bookstore makati.

I also saw some single action (internal and external mix) AB in goodwil -- I think they cost from 2K to 3K. I bought my AB in St. Patrick's store along Pasay rd. beside Kamayan in Makati. I forgot the tel no. but they are listed in the directory, maybe you can ask them for a list of available AB including the price. Goodluck

Is this the Kamayan near Don Bosco Makati and Walter Mart?
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:27 PM UTC
Yup, that's the one. The number of St.Patrick commercial 8404189 - 92. You can ask them to send you a list of all air-brush models (Badger only) they have.

LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 08:09 PM UTC
Maybe I'll just pay a visit there pag napadpad ako sa Makati :-)
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 01:05 AM UTC
They have other branches , I think in Cubao and Sampaloc -- I am sure of that because the AB I bought from them came from Sampaloc, and I asked them to just deliver it to their Makati branch because I work near there.

jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 02:31 AM UTC
Argh..been canvassing around for AB's! Sa Lil's Parksquare they have one selling for around Php 4,800, may compressor. I went to national, they have the Badger, going for around 5k++, may hose yan. *sigh*
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 03:19 PM UTC
jomz: If you are near makati try going to St. Patrick's because they have other Badger AB aside from the Crescendo 175 that you saw in National Bookstore. I think the AB sold by Lil's is an iwata...from what I read in the internet, most of them claim that the iwata was far better. The Tamiya sprayworks sold in Lil's does not have a good review according to some modellers (surf the internet).

With regards to compressor, I was just lucky coz I knew someone who went to the US kaya nag-pabili na lang ako ng Badger Whilrwind (OK naman)
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 03:18 PM UTC
jomz! Malapit sa Banana Leaf yung model shop sa Greenbelt? Sa may lumang part? Di ko kasi teritoryo yun kaya di ako familiar sa place. Ok ba ang stock nila?
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

jomz! Malapit sa Banana Leaf yung model shop sa Greenbelt? Sa may lumang part? Di ko kasi teritoryo yun kaya di ako familiar sa place. Ok ba ang stock nila?

bossing jeepney! oo, sa ilalim yung parang tiangge. pero puro oto models nya, onti na lang ata andun kasi hindi naman kasi siya model shop talaga, puro japanese "goods". BUT i have his contact details, pwede sya order from overseas -- i ordered two CAR kits from him. ayun..

o nga pala! may balita ako!

may bago shop sa Shangri-LA daw sabi nang pinsan ko, sa may Lourdes ah, hindi Makati. 3rd floor, Hobby Shop ata name (how creative!) -- di ko pa nabisita bago lang daw.

hmmm, i don't know if anyone has mentioned this: but there's a model shop sa may BF Homes Paranaque, near Ruins. Wala lang...

Came from JMN a while ago and I got to pick up a 0000 brush! Surprised there was one that "small".
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 03:10 AM UTC
hmmm..is it just me, or the kit on my Academy kit is "made in the philippines", hehehe!
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hmmm..is it just me, or the kit on my Academy kit is "made in the philippines", hehehe!

That is wonderfully true! Academy has a factory somewhere in Cavite. I asked them if pwedeng mag-tour. Hindi daw pwede because of "security" reasons

Pansinin mo rin ang mga bagong Tamiya kits lalo na yung mga Tigers na nasa black/grey boxes. Tamiya has a big factory in Cebu, one of around five worldwide.

So pasalamat pa rin tayo at may factory dito kaya di ganun ka-mahal. Tangkilikin ang sariling atin!!!
vproject
Visit this Community
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 02:14 PM UTC
Aha, that's why may nakikita akong kits na may Made in the Philippines na nakasulat...
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 10:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That is wonderfully true! Academy has a factory somewhere in Cavite. I asked them if pwedeng mag-tour. Hindi daw pwede because of "security" reasons

Pansinin mo rin ang mga bagong Tamiya kits lalo na yung mga Tigers na nasa black/grey boxes. Tamiya has a big factory in Cebu, one of around five worldwide.

So pasalamat pa rin tayo at may factory dito kaya di ganun ka-mahal. Tangkilikin ang sariling atin!!!

Ayos yon! Di magkakaroon din tayo ng Fil models! :-)
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2003 - 04:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

may bago shop sa Shangri-LA daw sabi nang pinsan ko, sa may Lourdes ah, hindi Makati. 3rd floor, Hobby Shop ata name (how creative!) -- di ko pa nabisita bago lang daw.

Probably the same model railroad shop in Shangri La. IIRC, they've relocated in Shangri La - same floor, but after some renovations on that floor, they relocated in another area. Learned about it in an FHM issue about toys and stuff. Their forte is car toys (slot car toys IIRC) and railroad models. I was supposed to get some Woodland Scenics field grass from them last year.

Quoted Text

hmmm, i don't know if anyone has mentioned this: but there's a model shop sa may BF Homes Paranaque, near Ruins. Wala lang...

I already have. It's called "Richie Rich" (or Richie Ritz - forgot but it doesn't matter, same pronunciation). Nice small shop. A little (really? A "little"???) bit pricey than the rest. Most are old stock. But nice to have nearby. I feel like I'm the only customer to their shop.

As for "Made in the Lapulapinas", I thought the Academy factory was at Pampanga. I also didn't know Tamiya had a factory here. That should lower prices but I wonder why their products are still so damn expensive - and lacking also in variety. I wish Dragon set up a plant here, but with all the labor unrest... maybe that's why Tamiya is more expensive.
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 02:10 AM UTC
I remember checking on a TAMIYA 1:35 Custom Extra German Infantry Equipment....And I was shocked when it read: 'MADE IN THE PHILIPPINES'....(C) 1995 TAMIYA...>_
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 01:45 PM UTC
TAMIYA factory for AFV,etc is located in CEPZA (Cebu export Processing Zone). Actually, the tamiya models here are cheaper than in the US. The King Tiger (Ardennes Front) is sold for PhP 1,280 (Lil's) but in the US I saw in the October 2002 issue of FineScale it costs around $50 (exclusive of tax).

Any of you noticed that the DML is cheaper in Lil's and Accurate Model (SM SouthMall) than in STC. In Lil's they cost around 108 and Accurate is selling them for 168, but in STC it is a whooping 270. I told the sales lady about the price difference...medyo na-shock siya.

Nga pala, iba na ang pangalan ng Richie Ritz(?)...and they are selling auto supply -- but I still saw some scale models of Cars sa window (display lang yata).

Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 01:50 PM UTC
May narinig akong theory about the kit price diffs between stores. Lil's is a Tamiya distributor and STC is a DML distributor. Lil's has to pay Tamiya royalty so their Tamiya kits are pricier. STC has to do the same thing with DML. Not much of a price diff between other brands but you really have to do some research and trekking to get the best deal. Isn't competition great??!!! #:-)
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 08:13 PM UTC
Warthog, re:Richie Ritz, the models are still being sold, at the upper floor.

Re: DML and Tamiya prices, yeah, noticed that too. At JMN, their M1A1 with tank crew costs around half the price as that in STC Alabang.

I think Jeep's theory is right, re:royalties.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
GI: Are you refering to the Richie Ritz at BF Pque? If so, then they are still open pala and I did not know that they have a second/upper floor. Lagi kasi akong nadadaan doon (I am from Paranque Tahanan Vill.)

I agree, it may have been the royalties
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 04:27 PM UTC
oh and I was in Makati Cinema Square this afternoon, parang mas malaki yung mura nang shop na yun kumpara sa STC. (:-)

has anyone by chance seen Tamiya Modelling Wax being sold in the shops around Manila?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 04:49 PM UTC
Warthog - Tahanan? Geez you're well within my artillery range! For that matter, 120mm mortar range!

Same shop we're talking about. Caveat - pricey compared to the rest. And old stock, too. But it's the closest and from time to time I visit it, too.

Another Operation Eyeball perhaps? Richie Ritz (Rich - whatever), in the near future perhaps? And since the distance ain't that far, perhaps we could bring our current project(s) or finished ones to look at?

Re: the shop at MCS, THAT I want to visit. It's been awhile since I've been there (AFAIR, I was there way back in 1991 - while Operation Desert Sabre was still fresh)

Re:Tamiya modelling wax, try STC branches, JMN, or Accurate. I seem to recall - not sure - seeing it. Try also Lils - there should be a packet of that in most - if not all - Lils branches.
warthog
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 06:43 PM UTC
GI: Eyeball? Sure, we can schedule it one of these days.....
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 02:36 AM UTC
O nga pala! Meron dito malapit sa UST (P. Noval Street) that sells scale model stuff used by Architects...Mas mura yung mga model trees kaysa mga nabibili sa model shops....
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2003 - 01:36 PM UTC
Hey lone! Paki-check nga kung may bolts or rivets sila. Wala akong mahanap sa mga stores na pinupuntahan ko eh. Thanks!