_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Let's see your workbench
manicrc
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 02:47 AM UTC
I'm in the process of thinking over organization of a workspace for building plastic models. I love the portable workbench article and I think I'll use that as a starting point since I don't have a dedicated space for everything.

I'd love to see pictures of peoples' workbenches so I can gather ideas if you don't mind taking the time. Thanks much! I promise to post photos when mine's complete
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 04:00 AM UTC
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h23/mdlbldrmatt135/Hobby%20room/

There's several threads on the site....( but the search didn;t seem to find then for some reason...........

Mine's in the process of bieng re arranged / tweaked yet again.....................
manicrc
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 04:32 AM UTC
Thanks, Matt. I also searched and didn't find much.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:10 AM UTC
Once again:
Home:

Work:
DaveInTheHat
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:30 PM UTC
Heres mine.

A couple more pictures here:
http://public.fotki.com/DaveInTheHat/my_room/

05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:40 PM UTC
File shot of my disaster center. Worse now as there is a 1/32 MiG 15, a 1/35 M51, and 6 or so 1/35 figures competing for prime time under the lights.
cheers!
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 06:09 AM UTC
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 886 Posts
KitMaker Network: 174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 06:12 AM UTC
I have another room in the garage for painting anything but water base paint. and basically a mess throughout the house. but I have been blessed with a very understanding husband so i get away with it.
manicrc
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 02:03 PM UTC
Lots of great replies so far!

I've begun building a spray booth and it's coming along well. I had one with a 150CFM blower in it and it wasn't moving enough air. I found a 500CFM blower on eBay for $70 shipped, so I designed a spraybooth around it. I tested it today and it definitely moves enough air! If anyone wants plans, I'd be happy to share. It takes a (actually two in series) standard 20x20 pleated HVAC filter.

I'm hoping to finish the spraybooth this week, then start the workbench next weekend.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:38 AM UTC
Brian,

This may help you a bit: Paint Booth It's built using a Broan stainless steel range hood at, IIRC, 650 cfm.

Mike
uproar
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 99 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 04:48 PM UTC
Well, here it is....

If a clean workbench is a sign of a sick mind--then I am very, very healthy.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 04:46 PM UTC
Wow, where do you guys get all that room? How much of it do you actually use to build on? My setup is centered around a vintage drafting table that my Dad gave me decades ago. I do get to build in the house, though.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 01:57 AM UTC
It's on the utilities side of my basement,but I got a radio and I am quite satisfied.It sure beats when I was in an apartment and had to take out and put away for every session.

Removed by original poster on 11/25/07 - 06:52:13 (GMT).
uproar
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, where do you guys get all that room? How much of it do you actually use to build on? My setup is centered around a vintage drafting table that my Dad gave me decades ago. I do get to build in the house, though.

SSGTOMS, I really like the way you've set up your lighting....very symmetrically, with no shadows. I never seem to get quite enough light. Ott lights are certainly the best, aren't they?

Rory
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 01:28 PM UTC
Thanks! Yes, nothing beats Ott-Lites, and over the years I've had every kind of light. I too have found I can never have too much light. As I got older (I'm now 44) I added lights till now I have 5. I think I can do brain surgery there if I had to! You're right though - it's a great setup and I'm not working in my own shadow.
If you look close at the middle light, which shines straight down, you will notice a pair of clip-on magnifying glasses. I clipped them there on a whim and it has turned out to be a fantastic setup! I just flip them down when I need a close up, flip them out of the way for normal building.
uproar
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 04:41 PM UTC
My 47 year old eyes need all the help they can get--I have become quite farsighted over the past few years, and as such have accumulated a wide variety of magnifying devices amongst my tools. I also have a floor-model large Ott lite that I usually set up on the opposite side of the workstation from the smaller one on my bench, in addition to the one clamped to the bookcase (which has a daylight bulb in it). I also have daylight bulbs in my paint booth, which really helps to accurately perceive colors.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 04:59 PM UTC
Hey Rory - looking at your photos you've got about 12 feet of workbench there. But you only actually model on 1 square foot, right? I've found that to always wind up being true. More space just means the tools pile up around you as you go.
uproar
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 05:37 PM UTC
The area to the left is my soldering station, although now that I have an Etch-Grip, I suspect I may not be soldering so much. I'm thinking of losing the Tamiya workstation, actually--it is too small, offers really no advantages, and the LED lights burned out long ago, and can't be replaced--it is a fairly useless item, especially for the price. About all it does is elevate my work a few inches, so I don't have to bend my neck so much. I probably do have more space than I need to actually work on, but I have a ridiculous number of tools, and need a place to put them! The counter area below my model stash I was thinking about setting up as a photography booth. The big aluminum broiling pan is used for dipping my models in a dilute Simple Green solution to remove releasing compounds, oils, etc. from the plastic.
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 12:11 PM UTC
After several days work I uncovered my work bench. I haven't built anything for 10 + years and the bench was a real mess. I was suprised at the number of items I had unbuilt. I won't have to buy anything except glue & paint for awhile.
Joe
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 01:18 PM UTC
This is my "huffin hoose" just after a good tidy this weekend.

My drawings are protected by a sheet of perspex on the bench

The island bench is on casters in the middle of my 4m x 5m shed at the bottom of the garden

Who needs an expensive Tamiya work table (croc clips on tooth pics)

I need a proper cable and fuse box out to the shed. Just on overhead cable real!!

Nige

wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 09:00 PM UTC
Hopefully they'll show but, here's a couple pics of my work bench.

manicrc
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 02:48 PM UTC
Wow, great stuff everyone! I finally finished my portable and took a couple of pictures. I haven't used it yet, so I'm sure some re-arranging will be in order. Thanks for all the photos - they helped a lot.

I'd love to post pictures, but the darned thing tells me I need to log in, but I already am logged in. I'll try again later.
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 03:02 PM UTC
Brian,

I have have that problem on my work computer. Something to do with the firewall. Whichever one I go int first, I can move around with no problems, once I go over to ModelGeek,say, I'm logged on on the main screen, but as soon as I go the the forum, I gert logged out. If I try to log back in I get an error screen. I will admit that I get this on other cmputers too, but if I log in on the forum I'll just get a warning saying that I'm already logged in, and everything is alright.

Jim
Removed by original poster on 11/28/07 - 19:25:49 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP