Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Let's see your workbench
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 10:06 PM UTC
Rick,

lol, like i have said previously, I have a very supportive wife who would rather have me at home building models, than out somewhere

Darryl
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I keep seeing waist level workbenches with no kneehole. Do those of you with this setup model standing up?!

At my workbench I simply remove the trash bin to have the ability to tuck my legs under the bench comfortably while I sit on a chair. I also have a desk in which I can sit to do work within my workshop. I'm tall so having a higher than normal workbench makes if more comfortable for me.

Your workbench should be made to suit you and your needs. I'm constantly tweaking my layout to find the best setup. The entire workshop will be undergoing a major remodeling this winter, during which time all of the tweaks will be incorporated.
tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 118 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 - 03:32 PM UTC
I'm in the process of building my little workshop in thew basement in the utility room. Thanks to everyone for some of the ideas ............. things I had forgotten about. A downdraft paint booth is actually the opposite of what I was going to do............... now the plans have changed. I should have put in a 6" vent though instead of the 4". Oh well..............

Cheers
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 12:43 AM UTC
I couldn't get a 6" holesaw....... so my vent transitions fomr 6" to 4" right before it leaves the house...
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 01:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I normally build on the roll top desk, but also have a room down stairs to do my air brushing and "dirty work".

Good God Man I wonder why the price of kits are going up you bought them all up,between you and a few other folks on here must have the Market cornered.

Great if you can get away with it,mine will allow maybe 5 or 6 models a month not 20.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 02:08 AM UTC
here you go, old picture but not much has changed - except for some more light. Can anyone guess my other hobby

Removed by original poster on 01/05/08 - 21:10:29 (GMT).
manicrc
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 02:20 AM UTC
FWIW, I've built downdraft and backdraft (filter in the back) booths and I think the backdraft performs much better. When I spray, the natural direction for the paint to go is toward the back of the booth. The downdraft booth allows the spray plume to hit the back of the booth, then come back toward me without being evacuated. I'm short, so some of you may not have that problem
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 03:56 AM UTC
Here's my work area--picture is a few months old, but the setup remains pretty much the same.

tominizer
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 210 Posts
KitMaker Network: 118 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 07:24 AM UTC

Back draft eh !! That may work better for me too as I wanted to put a drawer under the working table but a downdraft kills that idea. I'm building the spray booth under the stairs to the basement.......... making use of any square inches I can get

Anyone have any good references for a backdraft design or pictures of something built?!?!?

The other thing I have to check is if my fan is sealed motor wise so it doesn't spark............... good point I read about here on this forum that I didn't think about.

manicrc
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 - 09:10 AM UTC
I've posted pictures of my booth in my photo gallery if you'd like to see it.
zeus60
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here is an old photo of my workbench. I am in the process of replacing the one table with two, to form an L.

Here is the new bench. I've already found I don't like the L, so I plan on putting an eight foot bench against the wall and putting a paint rack on the wall on the right.

DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 05:51 AM UTC
Stacey,

Are you building your own paint rack? If so would you be willing to share the plans?

Darryl
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 07:45 AM UTC
Ive enjoyed looking through this thread and seeing where everybody does their building/painting. I took the time today to take some pictures to show my man cave.

My modelling room was actually "her indoors" walk-in-wardrobe at one stage. I convinced her with all the dangerous chemicals and sharp knives, I needed somewhere of my own. Not that she believed me, but let me move in anyway!! Its a small room approx. 3m x 2.5m in size, with a window. Most images are composite images as its hard to get good photographs of the room.
Looking in from the bedroom ....

On the right hand side, I spray, paint and take photographs on the same area. I usually build at the coffee table in the living room.

To my left I have a "staging area" where in-progress items can be left and not risk getting damaged or lost, or all those other things that are possible

Above my head is the stash. Rather small compared to most and what I consider as appropriate. Considering I build about 5 kits a year, theres several years of stash here. I sold a lot of the older items as new kits are so cool compared to those 30 year old tamiya and Italeri!

To the left is an old cuboard I use for storage. On top is the spare parts and inside is works in progress. The 4 drawers are where I keep the goodies

Two other small drawers have more work in progress, tools and some more goodies.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 07:54 AM UTC
Over the last few years, Ive started to buy some reference books. Anybody who thinks kits are expensive .... should avoid.

And finished kits go in an IKEA cabinet with glass doors. Pretty full now, so some older items will removed and I“ll possibley buy another.

So thats my modelling space. I try to keep it tidy as 1) I hate a mess and 2) its much easier to sit down at a tidy bench and model, rather than sift though all the crap that can build up very quickly.
Removed by original poster on 01/08/08 - 10:23:02 (GMT).
Rattler
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 512 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 - 03:27 PM UTC
Sorry.. I goofed on that...

ok lets try this again..

here's the happy square for my lil place... enjoy

Ok so there ya go guys an gals...

Cheers
Rattler
zeus60
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stacey,

Are you building your own paint rack? If so would you be willing to share the plans?

Darryl

Build, yes, design, no. I've seen some plans on modeling websites. If I do build a rack, I'll probably just use someone else's plans.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,770 Posts
KitMaker Network: 747 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:04 AM UTC
Darryl, Stacey,

This may be of some help. I went to the local Lowe's (big-box home improvement store) and picked up a few 4 feet x 2 inch x 1/4 inch (actual is 4' x 1-1/2") "sticks" of Poplar and made this shelf to sit in the back of my paint booth:

The "shelves" are notched into the uprights for extra support and there are additional uprights attached to the back for more support. I added a couple of small pieces in between the shelves too. The shelves were set to handle Vallejo other "tall" paints on the upper shelf and Testor's MM and Tamiya for the three shelves in the middle. There's enough room under the first shelf for the larger stuff. I think it cost me a whoppin' $8 and about an hour or so to build (glue time included). So far, there's enough room. When my paint assortment increases, I'll build another for the left side of the booth and one for the right side.

Mike

p.s. If you give me the rough size you'd like to have, I can quickly draw up some plans for you (to do the plans, you'll need at least a table saw). PM me and I can ask specifics.

p.s.s. I plan on building something for the bench that will hold my files, knives, blades, brushes, nippers, pliers, cutters, Hold & Fold, this' and that's, et al instead of using this big 'ole Craftsman Machinist's Chest I use right now.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 11:30 PM UTC

you can see mine behind the spraybooth. it's some scrap aluminum Angle I had. I cut blocks to space the angle from a shet of Plywood to fit various sizes of bottles.
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 2,166 Posts
KitMaker Network: 473 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:16 AM UTC
Frank Glackin,

You have some very high quality builds there to show off in that fantastic cabinet. I spy the Tarawa diorama sitting down the bottom. That dio is one of my all time favourities by the way.

Chas
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 - 06:20 AM UTC
Thanks very much Chas. Appreciate the compliment.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 2,672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 08:05 AM UTC
Well here's my humble little work space,

The airbrushing takes place in the garage. I also share this room with my girlfriend who's into arts and crafts stuff as well. She is very accomodating,............................................................

cheers
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,185 Posts
KitMaker Network: 224 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 01:52 AM UTC
I really love these modeling room posts.
I can always count on picking up ideas for my own setup.
I like what Nige a.k.a. - " okdoky " has done with his horseshoe shaped work area, three sides of " at your finger tips ".
Here's mine - hasen't changed much, but soon I'll be in different digs which hopefully will have an entire basement and a two car garage.
My favorite chair is on its way out [ ripped up seat ] but I can't seem to part with it it's butt user friendly.
Yeah I know it's cluttered and messy, but every time I straighten things up I can't remember where I put the straightened up bits - advanced Glennsheimers.
Cheyenne

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:28 AM UTC
Well, I feel all sorts of things after looking at some of your work benches. Jealous, happy, sad, and lucky. I use my roll top desk at the moment and plan to move to a larger table in our spare bedroom. My wife is a potter and has our dinning area taken up with her wheel and tools.

We keep threatening to build a shed where she can move everything to, but that never seems to get done. If I get out the camera in the next few days I will take a picture of my little space and post it as well. My biggest headache is finding space for my stash. Its not that I have that big of one, but I am just limited on space. Then throw in the fact I have a Leopold and Karl, my space got eaten up quickly.