TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
New twist...least favorite war movie scene
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 98 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 01:37 PM UTC
Thanks to generlzod for the "favorite movie scene" thread. Let's go the other way now.

Two stand out for me.
The scene in Saving Private Ryan where the German they let go mid movie ends up killing whatshisname with the bayonet. That sceens really pisses me off for some reason. I usually fast forward through it.

Also, the scene in Platoon where Matt Dillon's brother (can't remember his first name) is slapping around the vietnamese kid in the hut. Another one I fast forward through.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 03:05 PM UTC
Sorry, but once again I have to point out saving pvt. Ryan. The scene towards the end is so action packed and well done that the HUGE close up on those T-34 waffle track segments about to crush the american almost made me jump out of my seat . The fact that they seemed to linger on that scene in slow motion, or was it my imagination, only served to heighten my regrets. With all the technical sophistication, computer over-rides etc, and the fact that they can make anyhing today, I was disappointed. Then again when they came running down the raod speaking about two panthers what turns up, I'll leave it to you to guess that one.

Jack be disappointed
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 09:55 PM UTC
I agree with you on the last S.P. R. scene. i.e. The so called two Panther Tanks. Or also the so called Germand tanks in Patton. Too bad they could not have had some real German Armor in that movie. NOW the worst of all I "Think" Even though I have alway's been a bit of a RAMBO Fan. BUT at the end of R-III where he drives the so called T-62 into the Made up Russian Hind-Helo killing the bad guy. But yet he walks away ?!?! I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!! BRIDGE AT RAEMAGON: Where the German Major : (Man From Uncle Guy) goes back to Headquarters to try and get help but only end's up getting shot when he already knew what the price of failure meant at that point. seems to me he shopuld have shot his way out of there or at least killed the SS creeps and then escaped to U.S. Lines. Sometimes I just don't think they dont take some stories far enough.

DAGGER : A weapon with a short pointed Blade : "THE CUTTING EDGE"

m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 10:06 PM UTC
The scene in "Enemy At The Gates", where Ed Harris just goes staggering around like a conscript and ends up getting it at close range from Jude Law. Just too hoky.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 10:23 PM UTC
Thin Red Line-all the damn flashback seqquneces to the girl in the water.....I honestly fell asleep in that movie, but woke up in time to see the bayonet charge, IMHO its onlysaving grace......
Having read "War of the Rats" which was about the battle between Zeitsev and Konig? I was really disappointed in the movie. Having been to and graduated sniper school it was hard to watch every shot that was taken by either of them turn into a head shot.....especially Ed Harris' when they were jumping across the blown out building section. A 1:100,000 odds shot at best. I won't even go into the ending..... Read the book its much better than the movie.
Battle of The Bulge...your standard Grey M47 patton for the Tigers...period.
Dont get me wrong here.... the way the actors tried to use the word "Hooah" in Blackhawk Down. Having heard this word a gagillion times in my army career, they just didn't sound right. Rangers have a way of having it roll off their tongue as easy as we say "Hi".Great movie though. For those who do not know what Hooah mean....It can mean anything except the word no...for example. "You're an idiot" reply... "Hooah" depending on tone it can be taken several ways.....anyway, I thnk I just found another topic to post on... "Hooah?" hehhhee.. "Q"
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 10:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...read "War of the Rats"...

I thought that movie was about some mob boss who sells rat meat to schools advertising it as beef? No? Hmmm. I wonder what I'm thinking of, then.

YodaMan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...read "War of the Rats"...

I thought that movie was about some mob boss who sells rat meat to schools advertising it as beef? No? Hmmm. I wonder what I'm thinking of, then.

YodaMan

Sounds like a Simpsons episode. :-)
Red4
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:32 AM UTC
Enemy At The Gates was the movie version of the Book "War of the Rats". Like I said in the other post, the book is much better than the movie.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 02:47 AM UTC
Least favorite huh? For me - EVERYTHING - in Pearl Harbor that had to do with the "love interests". Absolute waste of print for me...

Gunnie
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC
Every scene with John Wayne in it during the film "the Longest Day".
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 03:37 AM UTC
All the scenes in the older movies where people get "shot" but there is NO wound and NO blood. I mean, what did they die of then? A heart attack? Perhaps shame of being in such a bad movie were all the military hardware is ALL Allied (and using M47s as Tigers BLASPHEMY!!!!.) and the Germans speak English (with a very fake German accent)?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All the scenes in the older movies where people get "shot" but there is NO wound and NO blood. I mean, what did they die of then? A heart attack

Sounds like you're talking about an episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - I think they "die" out of embarrassment not the wounds...

Gunnie
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 03:55 AM UTC
I love that line Gunnie.ROFLMAO.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 04:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like you're talking about an episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - I think they "die" out of embarrassment not the wounds...

Heh heh. LOL!!! Ha!!! Hoo, man was that funny!!!!! I always hated the MMPR!!! They were sooooo stoooopid!!!!!

YodaMan
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 04:12 AM UTC
Who knows which of the silly Rambo movies it was from, but when Rocky aka Sly says in return to the Colonel who asks him (Rambo dude) what he wants in the ending of the movie: I think it was "Rambo 17 Back for More"
"I...I...want what everyone else wants...sniff...snort...sniffle" sooooo saaaaad...
Eeeeeeek!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Who knows which of the silly Rambo movies it was from, but when Rocky aka Sly says in return to the Colonel who asks him (Rambo dude) what he wants in the ending of the movie: I think it was "Rambo 17 Back for More"
"I...I...want what everyone else wants...sniff...snort...sniffle" sooooo saaaaad...
Eeeeeeek!

Gag - that was awful! I got one for 'ya in the Worst Movie Dialog of All Time Category - Mr. Trebek - it's from "A Low Down Dirty Shame" spoof on Blackexploitation films of the 1970's, where Damon Wayans replies to his incredibly beautiful co-star's inquiry about going out and killing the main Bad-Guy near the climax of the movie.

He replies, slammin' the clip into his automatic "I'm gonna smoke him like a pack of Kools..."

That just KILLS me everytime I think about it eventhough it's supposed to be funny! It's HORRIBLE!!!

Gunnie
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 04:33 AM UTC
In Pvt. Ryan, I hate the scene where they charge the radar station, and Wade gets it. I fast forward thru that part.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 04:38 AM UTC
"Iron Eagle" the scene including that obsenely huge female Master Sergeant sitting on her keyster! It seems like after the 1950's, Hollywood never put out a movie with the Air Force in a good light until Stargate. I don't count the Cable stuff - like "By Dawn's Early Light" as Hollywood fare...

Gunnie
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 04:50 AM UTC
In Cross of Iron half of Steiner´s men are MG´d down by their own guys (slo-mo). Steiner survives and shoots Triebig, the scumbag that gave the order to fire. I mean, s-h-o-o-o-t-s, it´s slo-mo and Steiner empties a 50-round clip of his SMG. But that´s not all. After this another survivor jumps over Triebig, stabbing his dead body with a bayonet, slo-mo, of course.
Peckinpah was close to a genius sometimes, but sometimes even I think he got out of track...

Toni
ChrisCarney
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 88 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:05 AM UTC
The part in SPR where they blew up the make believe tiger tanks. Brought tears to my eyes. Such nice tanks too. And I think in the movie where they first identified the tanks from the bell tower, the sniper does say "Panzers" and not panthers. I had to check that out too, so I hit the rewind a couple of times to make sure. Now, here's the big question: Were those two supposed panthers Wespe's or Hummel's? Also I had to check on the guy in the room killing the jewish kid. He's NOT the same guy they captured at the radar site. He was full blown SS, where the other guy was not. Check out his uniform after they start to assault the bridge and the coward is in the hole. Chris.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:17 AM UTC
Oh, oh, here's one... Every scene in "Red Dawn"! The wolverines??? uh huh! EEEK!
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:31 AM UTC
I think the trick to this is to find a bad scene in an otherwise good movie.

That being said, all bad movies are disqualified, i.e., "Battle of the Bulge" (pure Hollywood fiction), "Apoclaypse Now" (a few moments of reality surrounded by hours of LSD tripping), "The Green Berets" (a few shreds of reality surrounded by flag-waving BS), etc.

SPR is good -- especially the first 20 minutes -- but it repeats some of the "urban legends" of war. One scene I hope to never see again is the sniper shooting the other sniper in the eye through the scope. I have seen this in at least 10 war or pseudo-war flicks, including SPR. Enenies at the Gate, Sniper, etc.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 08:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Too bad they could not have had some real German Armor in that movie.

Only problem is that there is only a handful of operational panzers (any mark) left in the world and most are museum pieces. I think only one Tiger tank can start and is in England undergoing restoration.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 03:53 AM UTC
YABUT,

Surely with the workshops and technology which exist today they could mock up a resonable facsimilie? If you can do eartquakes, and all sorts of fantastic effeccts surely recreating a couple of Tiger tanks should be withing the grasps of these Hollywood wizards? I mean heck they did the Tiatanic!!
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 12:06 PM UTC
Thanks Bridg-Sabot It was only a thought. "BUT STILL" !! I Loved it when G.C.S. i.e. General Patton defeats Rommel in thier first encounter : He yells out "Rommel You magnificent B------, I read your BOOK"......Anyway, Here is another least favorite moment of mine that comes to mind. DELTA FORCE. i.e. (The Once GREAT Actor Chuck Norris) (BLEACK ).Anyway at the end of the movie when the young Lt. That his character had once saved in the failed 88 raid into Iran. Dies. That scene pretty much always sort of chokes me up. "SOB.. SOB".
DAGGER : A weapon with a short pointed Blade : "THE CUTTING EDGE"