TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
New twist...least favorite war movie scene
KMM
Visit this Community
entire network: 91 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 01:14 PM UTC
I agree with most of these so far, but here' s my list.

5. The scenes in Battle of the Bulge where the Ardennes forest looks strangely like North Africa or Italy.
4. The interminable scenes of grass waving in slow motion from Thin Red Line - it was even worse than the flashback scenes. Come to think of it, that whole movie sucked.
3. The utter glorfication of the Eagle Squadron in Pearl Harbor - this squadron of U.S. pilots was largely a political tool, and saw very little action compared to the rest of the RAF.
2. The ending scene of Enemy at the Gates.

And the winner is....

1. The other 2+ hours of Pearl Harbor
Doppler
Visit this Community
entire network: 58 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 05:03 PM UTC
Been gone ahile, but nevertheless, onto my favorite least-favorite movie scene (did that make sense?)::

Being a big fan of DAS BOOT, it really irks me in the end, after so long of movie filled with such close scrapes with death and really getting to feeling like you, the viewer, are one of the crew, to have everyone blown away at the pier by a bombing sortie.

Makes me want to stand there and wave my fist at the Allies. That's how brilliant that movie is, I believe.

Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 02:20 AM UTC
HEY, The RAMBO Movie yous guys were referring to was RAMBO-2, AND I WUV THAT GUY, He's My "HERO" He-He-He-He. Anyway, at the time that movie was made you gotta remeber it was desighned to be a Flag Waving Patriotic..Bang- Bang-Boom -Boom, Blow up the enemy type flick. And though Sly. In my humble opinion has gone on to make some
better movies, TO SOME DEGREE, He had to get his start somewhere. And too alot of people liked his character. Though having read the book long before the movie ever came out I was rather suprised at how it, (the movie) came out at the end. I guess America needed another John Wayne Like HERO!!

DAGGER : A weapon with a short pointed Blade : "THE CUTTING EDGE"
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, oh, here's one... Every scene in "Red Dawn"! The wolverines??? uh huh! EEEK!

LOL! You really didn't like "Red Dawn" - the Brat Pack At War?!?

Gunnie
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2002 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

4. The interminable scenes of grass waving in slow motion from Thin Red Line - it was even worse than the flashback scenes. Come to think of it, that whole movie sucked.

Thanks KMM - I thought I was the only one who thought "The Thin Red Line" was putrid! I'd rather watch all the RAMBO movies, DRIVEN, and JUDGE DREDD back-to-back than "The Thin Red Line" once...

Gunnie
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 04:52 AM UTC
Gotta agree about hating Pearl Harbor...the love interests were easy to look at, sure; but totally superflous to the story. Especially hated the Zeros jukin' and jivin' down Battleship Row at masthead height. Nearly as enraged by OUR HERO using a .30 caliber MG to shoot down a Zero FROM THE CONTROL TOWER! Absolute tripe! Oh, and how his buddy conveniently sets this up by using his P40 to drag said Zero in front of the tower. Now, I've never flown anything in my life but it strikes me as odd that the fellow isn't just insanely busy trying to stay alive in the P40. Where does he find the time to chat with his pal in the tower and hatch this little plot with Zeros all over the sky? And patriotic myopia aside, what self-respecting fighter jock is going to volunteer to un-learn everything in order to go fly twin-engine medium bombers? Doesn't happen that way...ever. OOOOOOOOHHHH! (little Marvin Martian voice) You have made me SOOO ANGRY! There, now I feel better!
Greg :-)
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 05:20 AM UTC
When this came up again I have to add one scene.
In Tuntematon Sotilas, the toughest guy in the machine gun group goes for some search in the woods at night. A machine gun spray hits him and he falls down with several hits in his torso. The other don´t move as they think he was dead before he hit the ground. A couple of minutes later the other guys hear swearing and crying somewhere in the dark forest. Lehto is still alive, crying in agony while trying to crawl for his rifle, shouting: "You **** Ruskies, you can´t even take a man´s life!" The machine gun keeps shooting, not hitting Lehto.
Finally he reaches his rifle, places the barrel in his mouth...

It´s a sad scene. Makes me weep every time.

Toni
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 01:01 PM UTC
1. the sea battle at the end of In Harms Way 2. the whole middle of Saving Private Ryan. 3. the whole of The Battle of Britain. 4. the middle of Cross of Iron. 5. the whole of Battle of the Bulge. 5. the american scenes in Tora Tora Tora. 6. the ending of the Sand Pebbles. 7. the non-combat scenes in Platoon.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 04:26 AM UTC
every film with John Wayne in it
Arthur
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 08:36 AM UTC

How can anyone despise a John Wayne war movie?
Anyway mine would be in the movie Patton when Gen. Bradley says Our tanks are gas their's are diesel As far as I know the Germans didn't use diesel in W W 2
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 02:54 AM UTC
zod,old boy........do i get a sense of irony here?lol
chuckles
Arthur
:-)
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 03:20 AM UTC
Just reading up on this topic......

Quoted Text

Thanks KMM - I thought I was the only one who thought "The Thin Red Line" was putrid! I'd rather watch all the RAMBO movies, DRIVEN, and JUDGE DREDD back-to-back than "The Thin Red Line" once...

Eeech!!!! 'The Thin Red Line' was that bad, eh? I never saw it. But bad enough to have to watch all the RAMBO movies, DRIVEN, and JUDGE DREDD back-to-back-to-back.... Uhhh. I think I'd rather take 2 hours of a bad movie instead of 20...

YodaMan
8 days until the Attack!!!
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
entire network: 793 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 04:36 AM UTC
Yaga Yaga Yaga, Make me barf! Basically the whole Titanic movie, based around some nympho chick, I mean where was the plot, other than between two sheets?? What with that completely utter moron Celine Dionne sqauwking her chicken beak off in the background!! Yeah, I know it wasn't a war flic, but If I colda that hunk a tin woulda eaten one of my tin fish instead of a frosty Iceberg.Geeeeesh what a buncha hooey!

Jack be distgusted
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 04:41 AM UTC
Don't hold back Jack, just tell us what you really thought of it.

:-)
-Paul
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 04:45 AM UTC
Just had another "brainer" (special Jackology for a cross between a new idea and a brain storm") Why is it we start off lusting to see certain films, and then end up despising them to the point of puke-osis?? Is it deception with the over-all presentation? Do we detest being made fools of. I wonder. Anyways, the ball is in your court.

Jack
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 04:47 AM UTC
:-) Right you are phantom, perhaps, I was being a touch mild! As you can tell the Tiatanic/Dionne cocktail is definitely not my cup of tea!!

Good one there!!
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 195 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 06:17 AM UTC
Yes, a bit mild indeed, please feel free to speak your mind in the future, we're all friends here. :-)

Can't stand Titanic myself, or Celine for that matter - which, of course, means that the wife is a huge fan. *sigh*

Let's see, back on topic, least favorite war movie scene. . ."I'm gonna put on the brakes Goose, and he'll fly right by!"

I really, really should like Top Gun, I'm an airplane guy from way back, I've got two Uncles, and two Cousins that flew for the Navy, it should be right up my alley, but there are so many commercial, dumbed down, and just flat wrong sections of it, that I just really don't care for it.

I also despise any movie that takes a historical event, and then Hollywoods it away from reality. *coughPearlHarborcough* This wouldn't be a big deal if I had any faith in the education system or media to point out the blatant errors in the movie to the general public.

Unfortunately, I know that there are a great deal of people whos only exposure to the events of December 7, 1941 are from that godawful movie and it's gross misrepresentation and disrespect for history.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 818 Posts
KitMaker Network: 53 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 06:30 AM UTC
Ditto on the saving Private Ryan and Platoon scenes
The Mountains of Long Island in Pearl Harbor (behind Mitchell field)
Any scene from any Iron eagle movie
No way would Goose have hit that canopy in Top Gun
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 01:49 AM UTC
No, Goose wouldn't have hit the canopy. For that matter, Tom Cruise would NEVER have made through flight training! Cougar would PROBABLY not have turned in his wings...naval aviators have hairy night landings all the time. And the "gotta land this thing, we are WAY low on gas!" line! Exsqueeze me, but is that not why there are KA-6D tankers orbiting overhead during reovery operations? Hello? Just go get a couple thousand pounds, chill out in the pattern a few minutes, and try again. And don't get me started on using GLOSS BLACK F5s for a totally MYTHICAL Mig-28. Fer cryin' out loud, MiG aircraft have always had odd-numbered designations for fighter aircraft. Would it really have been so hard to have used a real number (29) and repainted an F-18 to match? Oh wait, that's what we do NOW for training....Wow...I thought I had spewed all the vitriol I possibly could on this thread, but I guess I was wrong! :-)
Greg
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 02:21 AM UTC
okay
I guess you got it right for a REALLY terrible movie. Have to admit I liked it when I first saw it but the blatant idiocy of the Black F-5 being a made up Russian fighter plane, And Gooses death was pretty outlandish. So yeah I would have to agree with you on that. BUT the REALLY all around worst war movies ever made??.....DRUM ROLL....................
The Winner "IRON EAGLE" as it was I barely stomached the first one. BUT after that I pretty much hated the rest.
DAGGER-1
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 03:11 AM UTC
Iron Eagle....Well, now. For once, I cannot comment in excruciating detail about how bad these movies are! Not because I haven't seen them; but because I have apparently blocked out much of the trauma to spare myself. A truly pathetic series whose ONLY saving grace was some fair footage of rarely seen aircraft: Kfirs, Israeli F4's with refueling probes, and such. But other than that, a waste of perfectly good celluloid.

It occurs to me that with all the technical expertise exhibited here via these best/worst lists, that obviously every single one of us is in the wrong profession. We should all be making historically and technically accurate movies! But wait...then we would have to find something else to whine and complain about!
Greg
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 03:24 AM UTC
"Touche Greg"

DAGGER-1