_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Fonderie Miniature 1/48th Halifax
N482
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 03:12 AM UTC
As any average modellers had a go at actually building this kit? If so is there any advice to be had. I have been asked to build one of these for someone and I would appreciate any comments .
alpha_tango
Visit this Community
Germany
entire network: 5,609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 02:40 PM UTC
Hi Neil

You should post this again in Aeroscale. Merlin (Rowan Baylis) has one of those in the works .. well at least he had ....

Personally ... I would not touch a FM kit with a looong stick .. have a Mystere ... started once, but put it back in the box .. I do not live long enough to gain the experiene to build a FM kit. That said, if you manage to get a review sample, it could be buildable .. just compare the build reports of the Hs 126 by Jean-Luc (standard kit) on aeroscale and by another French guy in the SAMI mag (review sample) ... same goes for the Do 24 .. have a look at http://www.swannysmodels.com/Do24T.html

best wishes

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hi Neil

This thread should give you some idea what to expect. As Steffen suggests, it isn't a kit for the faint-hearted... quite crudely moulded, poor fit, a lot of detail inaccuracies and generally a very rough finish that will require a lot of smoothing and re-scribing.

I shelved my build when I got the Flying Zone DVD - it showed that so much of the work I'd done needed to be scrapped that I knew it was time for a break. I haven't given up on the kit... it'll undoubtedly be very impressive when finished, but lack of modelling time means I probably won't get back to again this year (which in turn means Trumpeter will probably bring out a kit before I build this brute! LOL!).

All the best

Rowan
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 02:59 AM UTC
I'd much rather they brought out a 1/48 scale Lancaster first.
N482
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:53 AM UTC
Wow, this model just might end up as a started only model. As I said someone has specifically asked me to build a Halifax as big possibe for a veteren. At his age one feels obliged to try. I have seen the Sanger Vaccuum form kits on Hannants websiite. Does anyone know if cross kiting would be possible to work around the FM problems?
 _GOTOTOP