_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
cartridge
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:41 AM UTC
I know you are really peeved with cartridge.First of all cartridge is my brother.I showed him the site and how cool this place is and he also thought it was cool. I want you guy to take it a little bit easier on him.He is only 11 years old. He is not some teenager trying to annoy you. I will explain to him how peaved you are and show him how to ask his questions and only ask what I don't Know already. Don't take me wrong He does acually use your advice.He does have a b-24 hanging up on his cieling he does have army figs ( one of them has a blood stained bandage ) and he does have tanks.so please take it a little bit easier and ignore his posts that are up so far. I'm sorry for all the trouble he has caused.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
Air,
Well the fact that you can vouch for him as your brother means a lot (really). I think the real problem with the Internet at times is you have to sometimes take a "leap of faith" that people really are who they say they are. And even though I saw an 11 year olds curiousity and funloving spirit in your brothers posts, there was also that nagging feeling that a grown-up might be playing some silly game with the group.

I am glad it's not the case. Tell your brother I am sorry that we came down a bit hard on him. I hope it doesn't dampen his enthusiasm for the hobby or visiting the site. I just hope he realizes that if he is going to ask a question, do it because he really wants to know the answer, not just to see his post get some attention. A somewhat hard thing for some kids that age to grasp I know.

Cheers,
Jim
airwarrior
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:51 AM UTC
Oh you can take post numbers down right? that doesn't really count
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:58 AM UTC

I just read the threads for cartridge's posts. I laughed by butt off! Too much fun to have at work.

Yeah, most of them do seem like a joke.

Maybe ariwarrior could supervise the questions being asked! That way, both of you guys could have a good time and get good info too.

I vote for cartridge for UOM!

Steve

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:04 AM UTC
:-) airwarrior,
Tell him to take a look at his bomber post again, if it's still there we can try and channel his enthusiasm. I think I've probably missed a lot of his posts. Tell him he'll make captain soon enough by just asking the questions he needs to. Best way is to build a model and ask for advice as he goes, on specific stuff.

Jim
Quoted Text

And even though I saw an 11 year olds curiousity and funloving spirit in your brothers posts, there was also that nagging feeling that a grown-up might be playing some silly game with the group.

I never even considered any "grown-up" would do something like that. Then again there are some pathetic individuals around. :-)
Mal
airwarrior
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:05 AM UTC
Yeah he might be the reason another forum section might start."kids and parent modeling"I think it goes
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:23 AM UTC
I am actually really interested in starting up a section of the site for our Jr. modelers. I think it would be nice for them to have a place of their own with articles and stuff geared towards the beginning modeler.

Anyone have any ideas on that?

Jim
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am actually really interested in starting up a section of the site for our Jr. modelers. I think it would be nice for them to have a place of their own with articles and stuff geared towards the beginning modeler.

Jim

I think that's a great idea. Then the rest of us can read their questions and help them out, remembering that they are younger. I believe that it would be a great way to promote our hobby(addiction) to the younger generation.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim

Well, I hope its not just a joke someone is having with the site. Kind of suprised something like that hasn't happened already. Some people love to disrupt websites.

Here's what I posted to another of his questions;

- Just a question. Is it really such a good idea for 11 year olds to be posting to websites?

I mean, I hope this person is being supervised. Even the safest of sites probably have some restrictions about adults interacting with really young kids. You never know who, or what, could be lurking.

Even though this site is pretty much a PG rated affair (sometimes leaning to G, sometimes to PG13) I think it may be a bit old for kids younger than teens.

Hope that doesn't sound paranoid, but I try to aim my responses and questions for a somewhat mature audience.

Maybe a forum for 'Modelling with Your Children' would be more appropriate...? That way kids would have someone there to help with the questions, explain the responses, etc. -
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am actually really interested in starting up a section of the site for our Jr. modelers.

Jim, I think this is an excellent idea. I have a nephew who is now 12 years old. I am trying to get him hooked on modeling and I think he would enjoy having a section like this.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:42 PM UTC
I help a group of 5 or 6 youth with their building questions. We are not organized in any way, but they seem to keep coming back to me with different, specific questions. They are all ranging in ages from 6 to 15 (two of which are my own sons). Group builds are great forums for many types of questions. Finding models that are suitable for them, suitable is skill level that is, is the hard part.

I think it would be a great idea for a section of their own. The net as a teaching medium is not the best though for youth...

Airwarrior: I realized that you two were connected somehow, and realized his age. I see and saw your spirit and enthusiasm for the hobby and came to realize that most of us here are old fuddies sometimes, keep on coming back. Everybody is welcome here!!!

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim

I like the idea - and - volunteer to moderate. I think the zeal to jump on Cartridge was a bit ridiculous and unfounded. Perhaps the 'Jonesy' issue piqued the membership, but I've been here a long time and saw all those members who piled on when they first came in. None had a "smooth" and what I'd call "illustrious" start either in their postings - but they weren't drummed for it like Cartridge was!

Okay - off my soapbox now...

Gunnie
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 03:39 AM UTC
Just a little advertisement here, in the DSB there is a Jugend Movement, commanded by ANdy 007 and Delone, both very nice young modellers, they are welcomed there too, and no, you don't have to be a pig to join the Jugend Movement, and no, it's not Hitler Youth.... #:-)
Thor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hiya Airwarrior

I already figured that Cartridge was a young person, so he didnt caused me any trouble at all. I found it kinda funny to read his posts
I really hope all this hasnt scared your brother away from this site. I thinks its great to have some youth amongst us. Especially someone as enthusiastic as your brother !
I guess sometimes people forget that we acted similar when we were starting with the hobby. I know i did. Besides that, im with Armoram for almost a year now and i cant remember any posts of someone as young as your bro, so i also think its novelty people have to get used to.
So, if Cartridge has any questions, i'd be glad to answer them!

And Jim, i too think the new forum would be a great idea!

Dolf

shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in on this matter.
I for one missed most of the questionable posts by young Cartridge but they seem to have caused a bit of concern with the membership of Armorama. But both he and his brother Airwarrior have displayed a level of integrity that goes far beyond their years in coming forth and appologizing and trying to set things right. I look forward to both of your posts in the future and will try to help as much as I can. You two are part of the future of this hobby we all treasure here and I feel that it is in good hands when I see the posts both of you have made in the last couple of days.
:-)
 _GOTOTOP