Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
You can't pick your neighbors
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 11:35 PM UTC
Eh...get ready for a rant...

I don't know of any other way of saying this other than MY NEIGHBORS REALLY SUCK!

I've been having problems with my neighbors on and off since I moved into my house three years ago. Well, it's actually the neighbors' kids although the parents don't seem to give a damn. They have a son (early 20s), and two daughters (14 and 11).

The son is a known trouble maker who's been arrested several times for doing stupid things (nothing to keep him in jail more than a few hours). The two daughters seemed like good kids but now they act just like their brother.

Last night, around 1:00am (I was already asleep) I was awaken by the sound of car doors being slammed and colored lights blinking outside my window. When I looked out my window I saw three police cruisers parked in front of my house and a fire truck parked in front of the neighbor's house. I didn't think too much of it. Figured the kids probably did something stupid again.

Now fast forward to this morning...my wife tells me that she heard a weird thud around 2:00am. She thought that it sounded like something had hit our house. I went out to inspect it and sure enough there were egg shells all over the driveway and egg guts all over the side of my house. My house had been egged (not the first time either). Then I looked in my back yard and found a broken glass mug with the Avon logo on it, pieces of what looked like plastic fencing (not mine) and dog crap. Mind you that I do not have a dog and my neighbor has three and the neighbor's wife sells Avon. Hmm...wonder where this stuff came from...

I probably could have let the egging incident go but the broken glass and dog crap were too much. I nicely packaged all the "goodies" into a plastic bag and went over to talk to my neighbor. Wouldn't you know it that nobody opened the door when I knocked. I could hear voices so someone definitely was home.

I told my wife about the fruitless attempt to confront my neighbor so she called the cops. They logged the incident but basically told us to just forget about what had happened. They said that confrontation would most likely lead to some form of retaliation. During the conversation we found out that the reason cops and firemen were at the house was because someone had called the cops around 1:00am to put out a fire. Apparently the son had some of his buddies over the house and they started a bonfire in their backyard.

Well, I am 99.99% sure that the egging, the dog crap and the broken glass were in retaliation for someone calling the cops. Naturally they assumed that it was us who called.

My blood pressure must be reaching critical levels today. I am so mad that my hands won't stop shaking. I feel helpless and a victim in my own house. Don't know what to do.

Thanks for listening.
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:49 AM UTC
Borrow a Firefly!
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hi Marty,and here is me thinking that PC,and not hitting back was our problem,we are told by out that confrontation is out,call the Police and let them handle it(*&^%$)a couple of years ago i was talked into jogging,so before i went to work each morning i took myself off for a wee run round the streets,there was me,5.pm in the morning(not in the best of moods)and was accosted by two idiots who asked me for a ciggarette(i'm jogging for god's sake)then they asked for my money(with jogging pants)i was so pissed off with them and the fact i was out running at that time in the morning i slapped one of them,for being a prat,one ran off,and the other started crying.Was that the end of it,no,the police took a dim view,(i had assaulted a member of the public)nothing came of in the end,but it left a sour taste in my mouth,so my old chum i sympathise with you on this one Arthur
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 02:37 AM UTC
Sorry to hear about the latest, Marty. It really sux when you have bad neighbors. We are lucky, everyone around us is friendly and responsible. Well, the mid-30's never-left-homes next door push the concept of responsibility, but they are no worse than an occasional moderaltely noisy vehicle and no loud music. On the other side the worst we deal with is the 10 year old's ball occasionally getting into our yard.
Might be worth consulting a lawyer to examine your options.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 02:56 AM UTC
I usually call a few close friends I use to ride with, and ask for a courtesy call, and wear their colors. Somehow, my neighbors become very friendly, nice and well behaved afterwards, even calling me Mr.
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 2,220 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 03:32 AM UTC
Marty that sucks. I had problems like that and to end them I eventually just sold the house and moved.
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 03:41 AM UTC
Fellas.... Do you ever wander how todays youth would behave if you were still drafted into the army/navy/air force/marines?
Would it be any different? would they show more respect?
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 03:49 AM UTC
Marty, I feel your pain brother..we've been here 4 years now, and the 1st year the neighbor/owner next door{an actually nice guy} had people renting rooms/space there...siad renters dog was always doing it's thing in "our yard"{Not there's} but one day the lil fur ball ran out and started to chase my 3yr old daughter while I was out there-scared the you know what outta her...I stepped in quickly and almost kicked it when the owner saw it and started to say something when I gave him a "get your mangy mutt{I do actually like most dogs} off my property and take it's "___" with you! He glared and grabed the dog and muttered something in spanish that wasn't very nice, so I told him if my daughter knew what he was saying I'd drop him for saying it, and followed with something in spanish that he understood{surprised him since I'm white}. After that the dog kept doing it's thing and we got very late night neighbor visitors with loud radios. So, since my city has a noise ordanance, I started calling the police and having them issue tickets{$75 1st two then $250}...we got to a $250 ticket and a warning to the property owner about nuisence property charges and it stopped...the noise. My sollution to the dog was my paintball gun one night{I don't suggest you do this...and I did dial the pressure down}, a every other day soaking from the garden hose when it was on my property and a "shovel"...my golf swing sucks, but I can fling very well...couple times landing on the house and twice on his car seemed to fix the problem and relieve my tension as well. Check your citys laws and talk to the local PD to see if they can help, then if they can't, your on your own...just don't get caught.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 04:01 AM UTC
While it’s probably not the most appropriate thing to do I’ld probably stick some of that dog crap in front of there door some night. Just remember to keep an eye out in the morning for the first person leaving the house. Possibly even get a picture of it.

We had some problems with local kids a few years ago. The cops didn’t seem to care so we took some actions of our own. They didn’t stop bothering the other guy til he moved/got kicked out but they sure stopped messing around on my ground. They may have been under the impression that I would hurt them.

I wish you the best of luck and hope relations improve between you and the neighbors.
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 145 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 04:10 AM UTC
Maybe you should consider the installation of a camera connected on a movement detector plugged in a timer that starts after dusk...This might sounds ridiculous but if they don't calm down at least you'll have something to show the cops. Or only a big light connected to movement detector, that blows them in light when they are about to throw things....

Bad neighbors is something that really bring your moral down. Sometime they do it on purpose, sometime they are just plain stupid.

Like one neighbors at my parents house. He had got a bad habit. He used to go to the garage to get an anti-rust oil treatment to his SUV. After the treatment was done he couldn't park his oil dripping 4 wheel panzer in his lane because it would have damaged and soiled his interblocks. So he parked it in the street, in front of OUR house.

He managed to do this a couple of time, and the asphalt in front of our was becoming more and more stained without knowing why. But one day my father was home when the neighor came back from the garage My father gently asked him to move his f***ing oil dripping car from our house.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 04:27 AM UTC
Try this!
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 04:30 AM UTC
Jan, i agree with you.
Just the other night i was at my mates house celebrating his 17th, and five idiots decided they wanted in on the wee party we had going, Knives and all. Now my friend has to fork out for a new front door. Bloody idiots.

Marty, here's my thoughts, buy a paintball gun, and lots of paintballs. One night, lie on your roof, and when you see the wee bugger, smack him in the legs with the paintballs. He won't know what hit 'em
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 05:17 AM UTC
Hey everyone. Here is an update...

My wife came home from work today and decided one more time to try to confront the neighbor. This time they opened the door. All of them were there including the punk a$$ son.

My wife politely tried to explain to the neighbors what we had found in our back yard and about the house being egged. She didn't get to finish her sentence when the punk a$$ son jumped in right in front of my wife's face and proceeded to call her every expletive that you can imagine and some that you probably can't. He did that in front of his parents (and his buddies) who just stood there and observed. Supposedly the father tried to step in and stop the verbal abuse but then the mother cut him off and backed the son up.

Needless to say my wife came home in tears. It took me no more than 3 seconds to be out the door with my aluminum baseball bat. Luckily she stopped me. She begged me not do go over and do anything stupid. I am not a fighter by any means but I was ready to put everything on the line.

It is now painfully obvious that the kid has some sort of a mental problem. So does the mother for that matter. I guess I understand why the father drinks so much. If they were my family I probably would too.

I think that we are going to consult a lawyer and probably take out a restraining order against the son. I am also going to start the process of obtaining a gun permit. No, I am not going to do anything stupid with it. It will be more for a show of force than anything else.

@Grumpy - Can you send some of those friends my way? I could probably use them.

@Sticky - John, you have no idea how much I would like to be able to sell and move the hell out of here. Unfortunately, unless I find a suitcase full of money, that won't be possible for a few more years.

@Al - speaking to a lawyer sounds like a good idea

@Philippe - Installing cameras has been on my mind for some time now. I guess, now I have more reason to actually go ahead and do it.

@A-Train - Scott, love your idea but unfortunately the neighbors know I have a paintball gun. What they do not know is that I have an AR-14 Airsoft rifle with a night scope

Thanks everyone for your input.

I know that this isn't over by a long shot. You will be hearing more, I am sure of it.
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am also going to start the process of obtaining a gun permit. No, I am not going to do anything stupid with it. It will be more for a show of force than anything else.

I would suggest looking into the laws in your area first. Instead of going to all the trouble to get a permit and handgun you might be better off to pick up a shotgun or rifle.
In most areas no permit is needed as long as you don’t carry it canceled (which would be hard to do.) And at lest in my area there’s no waiting period and much less of a background check.
They also give a bit more of a “don’t mess with me” look.

Just some thing you may went to look into.

Quoted Text

Scott, love your idea but unfortunately the neighbors know I have a paintball gun. What they do not know is that I have an AR-14 Airsoft rifle with a night scope

Now you don’t went to do that.
Find someone who will lend you there shotgun and get some rubber slugs.
Just aim for the legs. They won’t be back any time soon.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 05:29 PM UTC
Home defense load is always nice!!!!!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 05:35 PM UTC
I was thinking about this whole deal. Check to see if Southbridge has a leash law. If so, report the dog's perambulations on your propery to the dog officer. He probably isn't licensed, either. That should go a long way yo keeping that part of the problem under control.
swingbowler
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 162 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 06:16 PM UTC
gee man,
sounds really tough. i used to live next door to a community home for homeless men in melbourne australia, and i can imagine how you feel. weekends are the worst, am i right? good luck with trying to do things the legal way, but if it isn't working, here's a few tips:

screw with their minds, it doesn't hurt to leave a few empty cartridge cartons, spent cartridge casings, and used target sheets (better still if there's plenty of bull's eyes) accidentally left lying around and accidentally blown over to their yard...you don't need a permit to do this.

get the police on your side, ask them if it's possible to sporadically drive by your neighbourhood and accidentally activate their sirens right at your neighbour's front door, at 6am on sundays...the police isn't officially taking action, but it will drive them crazy.

feed their dogs chocolate at every opportunity...of course you don't know that it's not good for dogs, afterall how can something so yummy be bad for anyone?

get a bigger meaner nastier dog than theirs...

you get the idea, don't look at the problem from only one angle. (think along the lines of the viets and their punji traps in vietnam) don't meet force head on. learn from military history.

nowadays, I live next door to a lesbian couple. the worst thing they do is check out my wife and probably mentally rape her. but when i get pissed off with them, i schedule my music classes at home on sunday mornings, with my worst students who play out of tune all the time. that is torture enough!

one last idea: install a high output karaoke machine at home and invite your tone deaf friends for a party...

edit: sometimes it's just too much to take, hope my weird sense of humour at least puts a smile on your face...good luck!
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 06:22 PM UTC
WHAT THE F**K! If there's something that I have a HUGE problem with, it's those mistreat(?) women like that or children. I would have done the same mate. I hope that your wife is feeling better Martin. I'm sure that all of us, had it been possible, would have jumped to your assistance with this lowlife of a son. What a prime example piece of (censored)...!
I really hope that you can sort this thing out once and for all. Give our wee missus all the best from us all matey...

Start to hang out with some badass bikers...maybe Marines.
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 08:27 PM UTC
Come one now Marty, youre not thinking about this right. Havent you ever heard the saying "dont get mad, get even"???? Ok, so they egged your house and threw some dog crap in the yard. Clearly the son isnt too bright and couldnt come up with something original. Guess he isnt the shaprest pencil in the pack. But thats good, because youth and vigor are no match for age and treachory. I had some really problem neighbors when I moved into my house too. They wouldnt leave me alone until I decided enough was enough and turned the tables on them. Long story short, they moved after a year as they realized it was a bad idea to make me open the can of whoop [auto-censored]!

OK, here are some of the things I did that you might like to use.........

1) One of the things they did that pissed me off was to set up their sprinkler to water my motorcycle every day. After several polite attempts to get the to stop, they didnt. SO, one night, I got a "stink bomb" and a hypodermic needle. I drew the stink bomb juice into the needle, then late that night stuck the needle through the weather stripping of the car and injected the stinky substance. Well, that car stunk for weeks. Even cause and argument between the husband and wife LOL

2) They used to call the cops on me for making ANY type of noise whatsoever. Even the Tv would have the cops knocking on my door. So, I figured 2 can play at that game. So, I downloaded a 9mm gunshot sound from the internet onto my computer, then hooked up my computer to my stereo. That night about 2AM., I turned everything on and blasted the gunshots. BOOM BOOM BOOM. 20 minutes later, I hear "knock knock, open the door, POLICE!!!" So I go downstairs in my boxers (pretending like I just woke up), turned the outside light on and open the door. The cops came flying into my house. I said "Whoa, take it easy, I just woke up, whats the problem?". Looking a bit bewildered, the cops said "we had a call that there were gun shots coming from here". At that time my girlfriend yells downstairs "whats going on??" I replied, "Someone thinks were shooting each other in here, and the cops came to chalk out the body" LOL So I told the cops "Go ahead, look around, lock the door when you leave, IM going back to bed". So when the copse didnt find anything, I said "What, no shell casings or anything LOL". They said, "we must of gotten the wrong house". I said, "let me guess, the call came from the neighbors next door. I see that crazy biatch is still using you guys as her pawns to harrass me. Tell her I said "hello"". The cops looked at each other like "how did he know, he must be right!" LOL then they went next door, and chewed the lady out for calling in a false report LMAO

If those dont help you out, PM me, and I'll give you all the really ruthless things I did that I would rather not post here LOL Good luck!

Gary

PS - The AR14 might turn a few heads. Just make sure to do away with the orange tip. My M4 works well at scaring people.

A train - I like your idea too, but you can get in trouble with that. However, if your gonna do that, make sure to freeze your paintballs first. they hurt like all hell that way! LOL
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 09:29 PM UTC
I second the advice on the lawyer. In California home owners have been able to sue a "problem" neighbor for interfering with their reasonable enjoyment of their property. The cameras are a good idea to document you case. Nothing is more powerful than video of this jerk throwing stuff over your fence. Hang in there - and use all legal means available to you.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 11:22 PM UTC
We are having a similar problem with a noisy neighbor. No confrontations yet but he is doing really odd stuff like starting his Harley at 6am to rev the engine for 15 minutes then doesn't go anywhere on it. Plays REALLY loud music from his garage with the door open. Throws his daughters bike into the middle of the street while yelling at her at the top of his lungs.... oh and we heard his young son WAILING in the backyard for 15 mins... obviously they had locked him out. Came close to calling the cops on that one.

Cheers,
Jim
Spruhound
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 12:42 AM UTC
I understand,
With the price of real estate these days.Paying $1000 to $1500 a month mortgage. The wife and and I are looking at homes now. Found a couple of beauties, The for rent sign In the yard across the street scared us away. Still looking though.

Regards Jeff
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fellas.... Do you ever wander how todays youth would behave if you were still drafted into the army/navy/air force/marines?
Would it be any different? would they show more respect?

While there's no doubt that several weeks under the loving care of a couple of Drill Sgts/DI's would go a long way in "readjusting" their attitudes, as someone who was on Active Duty in the US Army when the draft was still around and spent 25 years in the Reserve after that, I've got to say, "No Thank you." Using the military as a "correctional institution" for misfits like that sounds good, but for those IN the military, we simply don't need the aggrevation. The reason the US Military is the way that it is, is because for the MOST part, everyone in it is there because they WANT to be there. If I'm going into combat, I don't want the guys in my unit affected by some malcontent misfit who's just as likely to shoot me as the bad guys.

While I can appreciate the sentiment of wanting every citizen to perform some sort of service for our government, I've seen too big a transformation in the quality of our Armed Forces to every want to bring back conscription unless there's some sort of full up war with a major power.

Tom
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 02:49 AM UTC
The Government tried to coerce the British Army into acting like a correctional institution and taking some of these people on.

They were told in no uncertain terms where to shove their idea.
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 07:25 AM UTC
Military service for Juvenile delinquents? Hmmm.....Some good points posted. However, I would mention that a lot of countries have a two year mandatory service for all males when they reach 18. Germany, Russia, and Israel to name 3. probably they would adjust and change their attitude. However, I would say to seperate the draftees from the enlistees. If and when the draftees went into a war zone, I would tend to think they would shoot the enemy knowing their life depended on it. But I could understand why the military wouldnt want them. Hell, make em stay home and do the work no one else wants to. Clean Latrines, cook, etc.