Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
OHIO here i come...
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 08:39 AM UTC
hi guys...
i just got the approval to attend a 5 days course in Cincinnati...
my first time in the states ever.... the trip will be on April...

so any good modelling shop or place of interest in cincinnati??

btw, i already book the the flight and will be on transit in LA...
and on my way back i will take the atlantic route....

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 08:43 AM UTC
Cinci only puts you about 100+ miles from Ft. Knox's Patton Museum. Cinci's IPMS club has a link for local shops as well: http://www.cincyipms.com/
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 08:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cinci only puts you about 100+ miles from Ft. Knox's Patton Museum.

thanks was fast reply Robin...thanks for the link
so it's 161 km ... that's quite far...

i wish i can have the time to visit the musuem....i wish..i wish
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 08:52 AM UTC
You'll always kick yourself for being within spitting distance and not making it down.
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 340 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:51 AM UTC
100 mi is not really that far by car in the states. Most of the way you will be driving on Expressway. It should take about 2 hours to get there. there are hotels in the area that you could stay at over night if you are able to extend your trip over a weekend.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:19 AM UTC
I love the American sense of proportion when it comes to distance. It must be the only place where a hobbyshop 100 miles away is regarded as 'local'... :-)
But I do agree, that a 100 mile trip for a 'once in a lifetime' museum visit is worth the effort.

Reminds me of that old joke

A Texas farmer has flown to England to visit a relative, also a farmer. Straight of the plane, the Texan keeps commenting how everything they pass is so small, and how it's so much bigger in Texas.
When they arrive at the English Cousin's farm, the Texan comments how his farm is much bigger than his Cousin's. 'Why', he boosts, ' it takes me three whole days to drive right around my farm'. To which his English Cousin wryly replied: ' yeah, I had a car like that once'.

-Seinfeld it aint-

Cheers
Henk
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks was fast reply Robin...thanks for the link
so it's 161 km ... that's quite far...

i wish i can have the time to visit the musuem....i wish..i wish

If i had to go all the way there and its a paid trip by the company....believe you me...i would hire a car and make the trip cause you sure as heck wont get any museum that is remotely close to what they display there in Malaysia!
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 06:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I love the American sense of proportion when it comes to distance. It must be the only place where a hobbyshop 100 miles away is regarded as 'local'... :-)
But I do agree, that a 100 mile trip for a 'once in a lifetime' museum visit is worth the effort.

Reminds me of that old joke

A Texas farmer has flown to England to visit a relative, also a farmer. Straight of the plane, the Texan keeps commenting how everything they pass is so small, and how it's so much bigger in Texas.
When they arrive at the English Cousin's farm, the Texan comments how his farm is much bigger than his Cousin's. 'Why', he boosts, ' it takes me three whole days to drive right around my farm'. To which his English Cousin wryly replied: ' yeah, I had a car like that once'.

-Seinfeld it aint-

Cheers
Henk

Even in the US, Texas is like a whole 'nother country. Only in Texas can you drive for 8 hours straight on a highway with a 75 mph speed limit and end up moving only 3 inches on the map and still be in frickin' Texas!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 11:16 PM UTC
I have t agree with Rob about the Patton Museum. I've been there twice, both as side trips whenwe've visited SWMBO's college friend about 40 miles away. Absolutely worth it. Travel time would likely be less than 2 hours on the highway. Here's a link to the site: Patton Museum
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 04:00 AM UTC
100 miles, hell, that's just warming up the engine and gettin' the oil circulating. :-)
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 06:53 AM UTC
thanks guys for the input...and the link the the museum..

yeah i cant see why the americans love to drive thousand miles away ... maybe because you got a huge country ... i dont have any problem driving for a long distance trip... last month i drove about 900 km (560 miles) for 4 hours to get the the east coast...and it was fun...
100 miles is nothing like grumpy said it's just to warm arm the engine...actually, it's 140 miles and thw ride will take about 2 hours 39 mins(according to google maps)..

ok, i alreadt browse the patton museum website and already google the directioned from cincinati to fort knox...

the problem maybe lies on my driving licence...maybe i can check whether i need an international driving permit or not...
then to get a car and drive on the wrong side of the road...with wrong side of steering wheel installed... must be a challange...and the speed limit.. i have a habit of driving fast... might not a good idea to break another country's law!
and to drive back to cinci and mayeb i could drive all the way back to newark and get my flight home...

the other problem is with my collegue that accompany me..he's not into this stuff and a quite type person...i will try to pursue him to join me...

i agreed with jazza that this is a worth place to visit with the company's money.. ..

so many things still uncertain at the moment... but i have to take note on this visit....who know when will i get a chance to visit the USA with the taxpayer's money... hehe

This post was removed.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 09:53 AM UTC
Do you have the option of flying out of Louisville, Kentucky?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

yeah i cant see why the americans love to drive thousand miles away ... maybe because you got a huge country ... i dont have any problem driving for a long distance trip... last month i drove about 900 km (560 miles) for 4 hours to get the the east coast...and it was fun...
100 miles is nothing like grumpy said it's just to warm arm the engine...actually, it's 140 miles and thw ride will take about 2 hours 39 mins(according to google maps)..

ok, i alreadt browse the patton museum website and already google the directioned from cincinati to fort knox...

the problem maybe lies on my driving licence...maybe i can check whether i need an international driving permit or not...
then to get a car and drive on the wrong side of the road...with wrong side of steering wheel installed... must be a challange...and the speed limit.. i have a habit of driving fast... might not a good idea to break another country's law!
and to drive back to cinci and mayeb i could drive all the way back to newark and get my flight home...

the other problem is with my collegue that accompany me..he's not into this stuff and a quite type person...i will try to pursue him to join me...

i agreed with jazza that this is a worth place to visit with the company's money.. ..

so many things still uncertain at the moment... but i have to take note on this visit....who know when will i get a chance to visit the USA with the taxpayer's money... hehe

After driving in Malaysia, I'll bet driving in Ohio would be really easy. Just stay with the flow of traffic and don't tailgate and you'll be fine. You might want to find a companion to be your navigator.

Another great military vehicle collection in Ohio is in Hubbard (near Youngstown), but it is more than twice the distance from Cinncinatti. Here's a link anyway. http://www.wwiivehiclemuseum.com/
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you have the option of flying out of Louisville, Kentucky?

Al, no i dont have options for that.. if i would like to take a flight then it would be on my own expenses... generally how much is the fare from cinci to kentucky??

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

After driving in Malaysia, I'll bet driving in Ohio would be really easy. Just stay with the flow of traffic and don't tailgate and you'll be fine. You might want to find a companion to be your navigator.

Another great military vehicle collection in Ohio is in Hubbard (near Youngstown), but it is more than twice the distance from Cinncinatti. Here's a link anyway. http://www.wwiivehiclemuseum.com/

thanks for the link...i googled it and it's on the west of cinci about 279 miles (450 km) ... now i have two options.. the first on the south and the other is west..hmm..so which is better??

i will try to pursue my collegue to be by navigator...What ??!!! no tailgating?? Normally i like to do it to the car infront of me who is slower than me... i think my driving attitude is still bad...
or maybe we can have a group trip there..hehe

Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:10 AM UTC
hi guys....just an update with my trip to the USA.
I just obtain my US Visa a few hours ago and that's mean i'm set to go.
My flight will arrive at LAX at 1830 hours and will take the next flight to cincinnati the next day at 1155 hours.
I will stay in Cincinnati for 6 days before and then i leave for NYC through JFK. I have a day in NYC before taking flight back home and Newark.

so any good hobby shop in NYC close to the airport as well as bargain hotel in NYC..i havent book any hotel in NYC yet..

i already check with the drving licience requirement ..and i dont need a special driving permit...just my own driving licience is enough for me to drive in the US.
I ask this question in some traveller advisor forum and one person found it weird for somebody who is first time in the USA have fort knox as the main place to go ... yeah i find it weird too...
some guys at home suggest go to hollywood while i'm in LA... and some suggest me to visit Disneyland or something...hmmm...

so many things to do with so little time...

propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 05:03 PM UTC
Hello From Cleveland Ohio, If you can make it north to Dayton, OH. The Wright Patterson Air Force Base is there. Lots of Vintage WW2 fighter and bomber planes there you can visit.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 05:04 PM UTC
Not much in the Way of Hobby Shops in t NYC.... Most are out on Long Island.......
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello From Cleveland Ohio, If you can make it north to Dayton, OH. The Wright Patterson Air Force Base is there. Lots of Vintage WW2 fighter and bomber planes there you can visit.

thanks for your suggestion...i already google for direction.. it's about 54 miles away from the place i will be staying. I will keep this for consideration just in case. Right now i'm browsing the airforce base website for more info...

matt,
im hoping to get some small stuff for the hobbies in NYC ... i hope more new yorkers can provide some usefull feedback..

thanks pal
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 03:55 PM UTC
Go west young man-
New Jersey is loaded with hobby shops just across the river.

Ridgefield Hobbies is just across the river, about 3 miles from the George Washington Bridge, from the Lincoln Tunnel (Midtown) just across the river and about 8 miles up route 1&9. (Took Mr Mox here when he visited)
Hi-Way Hobby, up route 17.
Hobby Hut farther west on Rt 80 to 23, a little more westward, there is F&M on Rt 10-- right down the road from me, and a little more west on Rt46 is Kenil Hobbies, about 8 miles from my house. All the previous listed are with in a 30 minute drive for me
A little farther drive for me are: Maplewood Hobbies, in Central Jersey, located off the Parkway (NOT THE TURNPIKE ) and Hobby-Masters in Red Bank also off the Parkway. (Not the Turnpike!!) Can't help with the southern shops as I don't need to travel that far.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Go west young man-
New Jersey is loaded with hobby shops just across the river.

Ridgefield Hobbies is just across the river, about 3 miles from the George Washington Bridge, from the Lincoln Tunnel (Midtown) just across the river and about 8 miles up route 1&9. (Took Mr Mox here when he visited)
Hi-Way Hobby, up route 17.
Hobby Hut farther west on Rt 80 to 23, a little more westward, there is F&M on Rt 10-- right down the road from me, and a little more west on Rt46 is Kenil Hobbies, about 8 miles from my house. All the previous listed are with in a 30 minute drive for me
A little farther drive for me are: Maplewood Hobbies, in Central Jersey, located off the Parkway (NOT THE TURNPIKE ) and Hobby-Masters in Red Bank also off the Parkway. (Not the Turnpike!!) Can't help with the southern shops as I don't need to travel that far.

Dave,
you just give me a very good infos...
if that the case, i think i will get a hotel in NJ closer to NEWARK instead of getting a room in NYC. This will get me closer to the airport and i dont need to hassle my way to newark.
Hey who knows maybe we can have a drinks or something....
thanks pal....

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 07:13 AM UTC
I'll PM you my phone number,
Newark airport is about 40 minutes away.

If you stay in Newark, becareful, as it's not exactly a friendly town, (Like is high in crime to say the least) If you and I can get a day off together, I'd be happy to give the tour.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll PM you my phone number,
Newark airport is about 40 minutes away.

If you stay in Newark, becareful, as it's not exactly a friendly town, (Like is high in crime to say the least) If you and I can get a day off together, I'd be happy to give the tour.

Dave, i already save ur number. thanks

anybody can advise me which area is safer to stay..and closer to newark and other attractions...
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 01:19 AM UTC
Any of the top ranked hotels around the airport will be safe, as will those directly in downtown Newark, by Penn Station. There's a nice one across the street from Penn Station that Skipper stayed when he was here, but I don't recall it's name. But stay away from places like "The Blue Oyster" and "Bates Motel" The Iron Bounds section isn't bad, and has great Portuguese restaurants.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 04:38 AM UTC
Sabot:
8hrs at 75miles an hour, that's just to go to work.