Place your announcements here please.
militarymodelling.com????
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:23 AM UTC
I am sure everyone here has heard the news of Vinnie leaving to go to work at Militarymodelling.com. So, tonight, I decided to pay a visit to the site as I have never seen it before, and figured Id check it out. Maybe Im tired from skiing all day, or maybe Im getting old and set in my ways, but honestly, I didnt like it one bit. Generally, I try to keep a positive attitude around here and about the hobby in general as I dont like to disuade anyone from trying new things or bettering themselves in any way. But I had a hard time of doing that there. The Forums are titled as "Cries for help". Since when is discussing our hobby a "cry for help"??? Like I said, maybe its just because I am really tired, but I kind of found that offensive. There isnt too much of anything for features over there. Hardly any reviews on new models at all. And not much in the means of members builds. In fact, I dont recall seeing any at all. Oh, if you like scratch building and your looking for new great ideas..........dont even bother going there. There isnt anything on the subject I could find. I can see why they hired Vinnie. He did a lot that kept this site interesting and new. Hes REALLY going to have his work cut out for him there. Well, I wont pollute anyones thoughts on the site any further. Check it out and see what you think for yourselves. Me personally, I think they could not even remotely come close to what this site offers in news, photos, campaigns, forums, etc. Good night everyone!
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 12:21 PM UTC
He also did mention this in his leaving post.

Quoted Text

When Militarymodelling.com is launched, you'll have to register again unfortunately, as it's completely different to what's there now which was left us by Highbury-Nexus.

acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 517 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 12:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

He also did mention this in his leaving post.

Quoted Text

When Militarymodelling.com is launched, you'll have to register again unfortunately, as it's completely different to what's there now which was left us by Highbury-Nexus.

I worked for that company (then known as Highbury SPL) when they took over Nexus Publications - believe me, I was more than stoked to find out we were going to have Military Modelling magazine in 'da house'!

Unfortunately, Highbury Nexus (as the new entity became known_) must have over-reached themselves as they are no longer in existence - and I'll add that I wasn't working for them by then...

Many of their assets were onsold and are still being published.

And I was a big fan of Military Modelling magazine, in all it's various incarnations through the years, good and bad - I'm optimistic it can come back again, but there's a lot more competition in the market these days.

I wish the Vinster all the best and will be checking out the new site when the new upload is announced.

$0.02

acav out
AndyD
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 672 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 12:51 PM UTC
I agree that their site isn't that good at the moment. However they probarly realised that and hence why they hired Vinnie. (Imagine having a full time job in the modelling game - bliss)
Given the tangible assets they have, a traditional publication and years of working with the industry I'd be surprised if the site doesn't end up fantastic.
I suppose the struggle will be with the crossover of content - what they can and can't publish online due to them already charging for it in their magazine.
I've already registered over there in anticipation and I'm looking forward to the launch immensely.

I don't find the name "Cries for help" offensive - I don't particulary care for it either but I don't feel offended.
Cheers,
Andrew
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 03:08 PM UTC
The cries for help forum is a off shoot from the magazine where people wrote in for help on varius subjects,I dont think its intended to be like our forums here.this is the first i heard of Vinnie leaving, very sad about that he did good work here i will miss his input.But I wish him good luck in his new venture.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 04:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've already registered over there in anticipation and I'm looking forward to the launch immensely.

Andy I don't think you can register yet, that site www.militarymodelling.com is the old site and completely obsolete, it's a kind of internet "Ghost" and will probably dissappear before the new site appears

"Cries for help" is, as John said, a column that used to appear on the letters (Letters- what are they?) page of the magazine.
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 08:55 PM UTC
Dont get me wrong guys, I think its awesome Vinny found a job that is going to pay him well to do something he really enjoys. I have the utmost respect for Vinny, and he was a great editor here, and also a fantastic model builder. I just think the site he went to work for will need a tremendous amount of work to be anything good. I guess only time will tell how much it will improve. Thats why i told everyone to see for themselves. Guess we'll all have to wait and see.

Gary
Removed by original poster on 02/11/07 - 23:07:57 (GMT).
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just think the site he went to work for will need a tremendous amount of work to be anything good.

I believe this is the reason that they solicited Vinnie and the reason he accepted the job. Their site had floundered and they needed someone who possessed the wherewithal and abilities to make it "rise from the ashes" as it were.
The old site is just that...the old site. It is basically just occupying the space that the new site will fill when launched in late Feb./Mar.

Based on Vinnie's abilities and what he learned during his time with Armorama I'm sure the new site will be among the top armor sites in no time at all.

Cheers,
Charles
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hi all!
The site you have seen hasn't been updated since Encanta, which is now Magicalia took over the magazine. A new holding page should go up tomorrow.

The new site, which is undergoing testing now, is completely diferent and launches on 27th February with many features by for example, cookie Sewell, Steve Zaloga, Jay Laverty et.al.

We'll also have a show report on the Trucks'n'Tracks show, and a feature article on the as yet unseen in public, Wheatcroft Collection.

Vinnie
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:35 PM UTC
This forum is about Armorama.com.

Posting guidelines/definition for the the Site Talk Forum:

Quoted Text

Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.

Also, if anyone has any doubts as to what belongs here, this was posted by the Site Owner:

Quoted Text

1. Please post problems, technical issues or support related questions in the USER SUPPORT forum. This includes password issues, error messages and the like. If you have a SUGGESTION or idea for the site post it here.

2. Please don't post topics about members, other sites, or non-Armorama/KitMaker related news in this topic. That type of thing normally would go in General Modeling (if it's about modeling) or in the Junk Drawer (as off-topic).

CReading
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:20 PM UTC
Then perhaps this post and subsequent thread can be moved to the appropriate forum by one of the moderators?

Cheers,
Charles
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Then perhaps this post and subsequent thread can be moved to the appropriate forum by one of the moderators?

Cheers,
Charles

In the General Modeling forum there is a subgroup entitled Other Sites. I would imagine that it would be a proper topic there.
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 1,430 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 11:51 PM UTC
As I recall..there was also a lot of talk about former DSB members in site talk as well as other places on the site. Should all of that been in the junk drawer as well.?
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 12:02 AM UTC
I for one will go check it out. I am sure Vinnie will do a wonderful job on his new endeavor as he did for this one. I think a great debt is owed to him for all that he has done on this site. It is also kinda sad the way he has become somewhat of an outcast by a few here. Sad but typical.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 12:07 AM UTC
Far as I am concerned this is in the Junk Drawer, which was put here for the any thread that doesn't pertain to anything else on the site. IE Sports scores, how you likes last night's episode of 24, etc, etc, and this thread is no different, and is what this Junk Drawer was made for, so as far as spitting out the rules, I say lay off.

You (and you know who they are), are just jealious that Vinnie has found something that he likes to do, and is getting paid for it, not to mention that its going to be hard to fill Vinnie's shoes, if they can be filled at all....why not just come out and admit your mistakes, own up to the fact that you pulled the rug out from under Vinnie and aplogize for your mistakes.

Always it seems when the faculty makes a mistake on here, its always someone else's fault....go figure.

I appluade Vinnie's move, and as soon as their website is up, you can count me in as a new member!!!

Now I suppose I will come back on here tomorrow and find out that my account has been suspended and/or deleted.

If that is the case, then I guess then that is what it will be. Just too bad that when the Truth Hurts, that its someone else that takes the downfall.
Removed by original poster on 02/12/07 - 15:06:41 (GMT).
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 12:54 AM UTC
(the voice of Sir David Attenborough)

And so, history repeats itself.
CReading
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I appluade Vinnie's move, and as soon as their website is up, you can count me in as a new member!!!

I will also be a member on Vinnie's new site as I am on several model sites (it's a wonderful time for model builders!) I have always considered Vinnie a friend and appreciated his writing and building skills.
This leads me to my next question:

Quoted Text

You (and you know who they are), are just jealious that Vinnie has found something that he likes to do, and is getting paid for it, not to mention that its going to be hard to fill Vinnie's shoes, if they can be filled at all....why not just come out and admit your mistakes, own up to the fact that you pulled the rug out from under Vinnie and aplogize for your mistakes.

Always it seems when the faculty makes a mistake on here, its always someone else's fault....go figure.

If that is the case, then I guess then that is what it will be. Just too bad that when the Truth Hurts, that its someone else that takes the downfall.

What in the h*ll is this 'rant' about?

Did Vinnie not leave this 'volunteer' position for a full time paid job? Just how is Vinnie having the "rug pulled out from under him"
For Christ's sake, he was able to turn his volunteer job into a full salary career position.
I only hope someone "pulls the rug out from under me" and I find myself in in a similar situation of dream job..
Give me that type of "downfall" any day.

Cheers,
Charles
Removed by original poster on 02/12/07 - 03:58:37 (GMT).
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 02:16 AM UTC
If you all have the best interest in this site, I would suggest taking a bit of that all too common, argumentative attitude that is so prevailing in modellers and channelling it on something a tad more useful. Write a review, dig up some news, post up one of your models,.... whatever... just stop with the negative crap. Vinnie's shoes will never be filled, be thankful of the man for doing his all when he was here! If we all give to this site a minute fraction of what he gave, then Armorama will be fine. As for his future site, how can another good modelling site be a detriment?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you all have the best interest in this site, I would suggest taking a bit of that all too common, argumentative attitude that is so prevailing in modellers and channelling it on something a tad more useful. Write a review, dig up some news, post up one of your models,.... whatever... just stop with the negative crap. Vinnie's shoes will never be filled, be thankful of the man for doing his all when he was here! If we all give to this site a minute fraction of what he gave, then Armorama will be fine. As for his future site, how can another good modelling site be a detriment?

Well only up until a few days ago when Vinnie left we couldn't vent by submitting a review if you weren't invited to be part of the review club.
sahariana
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 381 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!
The site you have seen hasn't been updated since Encanta, which is now Magicalia took over the magazine. A new holding page should go up tomorrow.

The new site, which is undergoing testing now, is completely diferent and launches on 27th February with many features by for example, cookie Sewell, Steve Zaloga, Jay Laverty et.al.

We'll also have a show report on the Trucks'n'Tracks show, and a feature article on the as yet unseen in public, Wheatcroft Collection.

Vinnie

Hey Vinnie

Looking forwards to seeing the new site, Good luck mate!

Dus
 _GOTOTOP