History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
If you could write a book
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 06:15 PM UTC
Okay, your life long fantasy has been fulfilled. You receive a grant to write on any historical subject. What would you write about? Where would you go to do research? What trips would you take?
DJ
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 08:38 PM UTC
"The Bleeding Sand, the story of Dunkirk." I like to try to cut through all the myths and get to the true story. I suppose the main research would be done in London, Berlin, and Paris, with of course trips to the beaches themselves. I want to read everything I could that has already been written on the subject, and try to interview any surviving vets, though I'm sure there aren't all that many left. The main thing I'd like to get the truth about is just how important the "little ships" were, meaning the small craft that supposedly sailed from every river and port in Britain.

jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 06:34 AM UTC
Rodger,

I have no facts to give you, but I suspect the answer lies more in the morale boost of the effort itself than in the actual numbers brought back by those small craft.

The British mystery series, Foyle's War, has an episode on this -- I believe it the last or next-to-last -- and you can get the sense from that.

John
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 07:18 AM UTC
I would probably be keen on writing about the evolution of the military strategies used since WWI up until the modern era. That coupled with the changing strategies used by the "other side" and see if we have truly become more effective with modern day technology.

Such a book would require a high degree of security clearance i suspect. One that wouldnt be easy to get.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 04:41 PM UTC
There's a fair amount of eyewitness material in this book

Dunkirk

Though I wasn't always convinced by some of the author's handling of military details. My partner's late father was a Dunkirk veteran, though he was evacuated on an RN destroyer and not one of the little ships.

David
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 06:01 PM UTC
Dunkirk, the only book I can recall reading on the subject was Walter Lord's work of the same name. Are there any other authors who have addressed the subject? Personally, I would write on either Dieppe or the 14th Cavalry Group during the Battle of the Bulge. I would want to visit the Army archives in Carlisle, Pennsylvania and tour the battlefield as I have done on several occassions. I would also use the grant to take a course in writing composition. Above all, the final work would have an abundant supply of maps which are too often lacking in history books.
DJ
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 07:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dunkirk, the only book I can recall reading on the subject was Walter Lord's work of the same name. Are there any other authors who have addressed the subject? Personally, I would write on either Dieppe or the 14th Cavalry Group during the Battle of the Bulge. I would want to visit the Army archives in Carlisle, Pennsylvania and tour the battlefield as I have done on several occassions. I would also use the grant to take a course in writing composition. Above all, the final work would have an abundant supply of maps which are too often lacking in history books.
DJ

DJ - have a look at the Dunkirk book linked in my posting above, there are afew quibbles but nothing major to disagree with. For Dieppe there is Robin Neilland's book which is in my pending pile (along with a couple of books on the London Blitz that I've picked up cheaply).

If you're still interested in the Somme, Peter Hart's recent book is worth reading.

David
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 08:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ

DJ - have a look at the Dunkirk book linked in my posting above, there are afew quibbles but nothing major to disagree with. For Dieppe there is Robin Neilland's book which is in my pending pile (along with a couple of books on the London Blitz that I've picked up cheaply).

If you're still interested in the Somme, Peter Hart's recent book is worth reading.

David

David-- I am deep into Martin Gilbert's Somme and will look up Hart's as a follow-up. So, what book are you going to write?
DJ
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 08:41 PM UTC
The book I would like to write would be on the Roman conquest of Britain, as I'm definitely not a believer in the story that Richborough was the landing site.

The evidence is however so sketchy that you could make a case for a landing at virtually any point on the south coast.

David
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 28, 2007 - 09:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The book I would like to write would be on the Roman conquest of Britain, as I'm definitely not a believer in the story that Richborough was the landing site.

The evidence is however so sketchy that you could make a case for a landing at virtually any point on the south coast.

David

David-- the thread particpants have now spanned World War II, I and the Roamn Invasion of Britian. I trust someone will provide us their insights on subjects between these parameters. See what comes up.
DJ
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 09:15 PM UTC
I would like to write a book about the Princesss Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and in particular, their actions in this battle at Kap 'yong in Korea. It's the stuff of legend.....

http://www.kvacanada.com/stories_rskap'yong.htm

Bob
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, January 29, 2007 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to write a book about the Princesss Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and in particular, their actions in this battle at Kap 'yong in Korea. It's the stuff of legend.....

http://www.kvacanada.com/stories_rskap'yong.htm

Bob

Bob-- good call based on the link provided. PPCLI certainly deserves suitable recognition for their achievements. Are these folks now in Afghanistan?
DJ
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 01:46 AM UTC
I would probably write a book on Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck. Really a very interesting character, with alot to write about.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would probably write a book on Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck. Really a very interesting character, with alot to write about.

Dave-- for the enlightment of all, can you provide a brief run down on this fine fellow?
thanks
DJ
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 02:24 AM UTC
DJ - yes they are. It was the 2nd Battalion that won the Presidential Citation in Korea but it's the 1st Battalion PPCLI with the A Company 'Red Devils' (among others) that are in Afghanistan now.

Bob
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ - yes they are. It was the 2nd Bataalion that won the Presidential Citation in Korea but it's the 1st Battalion PPCLI with the A Company 'Red Devils' (among others) that are in Afghanistan now.

Bob

Bob-- worked with those fine Soldiers during Rendezvous 89. Great guys, let's keep them in our thoughts and prayers.
DJ
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 08:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Dave-- for the enlightment of all, can you provide a brief run down on this fine fellow?
thanks
DJ

He was a German Colonel who fought in Africa in WWI. With only what he could furnish himself, because there was no resupply, he managed to fight for 3 years without defeat. In fact, he didn't surrender until the 25th of November, 1918, two weeks after the armistice. he became a legend on both sides of the war for his campaign, which was the longest fought by Germany.

It would really make one killer book...

NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 08:34 AM UTC
Amen DJ, Amen......
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 09:54 AM UTC
What do you mean "if"? There is no if, there is do or not to do. You do it, IF you want too, you find a way.

For me the Dark Ages just because so little is known about it. Since I don't have the time and history books tend not to be money makers I'll have to leave it to other to do.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 07:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you mean "if"? There is no if, there is do or not to do. You do it, IF you want too, you find a way.

For me the Dark Ages just because so little is known about it. Since I don't have the time and history books tend not to be money makers I'll have to leave it to other to do.

ou lost me. Which post are yo referring to?
SSgt1Shot
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 535 Posts
KitMaker Network: 305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 03, 2007 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The title of your thread "IF you could write a book."
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The title of your thread "IF you could write a book."

As has often been said, the folks in the "Dark Ages" never knew they were in the dark ages. So, what are you going to key on writing about?
DJ
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 09, 2007 - 06:56 AM UTC
I'd like to write about the Soviet soldiers experience in "The Great Patriotic War" Especially the tank crewmen

*edit*

I'd like to write about any truck drivers in the ETO Maybe that's because I drive big rig for a living
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 07:28 PM UTC
Truck drivers in the ETO. I imagine you would want to concentrate on the Red Ball Express guys. Has been any work focused on their contribution. There is a film out dating to the '50's that I recall seeing.
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Truck drivers in the ETO. I imagine you would want to concentrate on the Red Ball Express guys. Has been any work focused on their contribution. There is a film out dating to the '50's that I recall seeing.

Red Ball Express is covered in "The Road to Victory" by Colley.
IIRC, the topic is also addressed in: "Foxholes & Color Lines" by Mershon, et al, and "The Right to Fight" by Astor, as of course in the US Army "Green Books" of WW2.

Break.

When I retired, one thing I wanted to do was write a book. Then I found I had absolutely no useful or original idea, so I'll just be happy being an old hack ... at least a tree or two will live ...

John