Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
NFL Playoff Smack Thread
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 06:12 PM UTC
So,
What do you think of the playoff seedings? I look for the Colts to have another early exit. They are tough to beat at home but I expect LJ to run downhill all day long.

Smack away...

Shaun
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 06:41 PM UTC
Shaun -- Gotta agree that Larry Johnson will steamroll the Colts. I just hope Jared Allen and the Chiefs defense can keep Peyton Manning under control.

On the NFC side, watch out for Phillie and New Orleans.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 09:09 PM UTC
The NFC are sending an 8-8 team (NYG) to the playoffs whereas a 9-7 record isn't good enough to guarentee an AFC wildcard spot (DEN).

The Bears and the Saints look to be the best the NFC will offer, but the Bears are still having troubles at QB and both teams backed into the playoffs with a loss. The Eagles are looking strong, perhaps stronger than the Bears and Saints.

My predictions for the first round are Eagles over Giants and Seahawks over Cowboys.

The AFC is strong, although the early front running Colts, will have a difficult time against the Chiefs' strong run game. The game to watch will be the Jets vs. the Patriots. Even though I am a Pats fan, I think they've gotten their act together and will beat the Jets.

I predict the Chiefs over the Colts and Patriots over the Jets in the first round.

The Chargers are looking to be the team to beat, unfortunately, the real Super Bowl will be the AFC championship game.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 10:34 PM UTC
I am hoping the Patriots get revenge on da Jets.
23-17
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 01, 2007 - 11:26 PM UTC
Okay my predictions:
Although LJ will have 550 yards rushing on 114 carries the Colts still manage to win 45 to 42...
C'boys are fed up. They take out the Seahawks.
Pats over the Cinderella J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets, 'casue the Pats are just tough at home.
Eagle handle Peyton's little brother and the soon to head coachless G-Men.

Shaun

EDIT: Just checked the line. Colts are 6.5 to 7 point faves. That has to be because they are playing at the Dome...
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:21 AM UTC
My picks for this weekend are the Colts, Patriots, Cowboys and Eagles. Manning and Harrison will team up for two or three TD's. Parcells will get the Cowboys up for an over-rated Seahawks team. Never count out Tom Brady in the playoffs. And the Eagles seem to be rallying around Garcia making them very dangerous.

Like Rob said though, the real Super Bowl will be the AFC Championship game. And right now I like the Ravens vs the Pats in that one.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 01:39 AM UTC
Being born in Kansas City, and currently living in Indiana, I have a problem...

I'll probably root for the Colts, but I won't be disappointed if they choke like they have in 5 of the last 6 games they've played.

Jeff
Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Like Rob said though, the real Super Bowl will be the AFC Championship game. And right now I like the Ravens vs the Pats in that one.

I'm making my predictions one week at a time. Too many things can happen. Can you imagine if a playoff bound Bronco team lost their cornerback to a drive by shooting? I would love to see the Pats win the AFC, I know they can beat any one of the NFC teams.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 06:02 AM UTC
Well after Sunday I can be impartial, sort of. If it were anybody else with a real good running back I'd take them over the Colts, but I'm just not sure about the Chiefs. I think they've got issues, and they do tend to choke in the playoffs. I'm going with the Colts, but not very far.

The Eagles have the momentum, and I don't think the Giants, especially with what I consider a lame duck coach, can beat them.

I'm not 100% sure of Seahawks, Cowboys, but I'll predict Owens makes some bonehead, me, me, me, statement after the game, win lose or draw. I tend to take the hawks.

I will never, EVER, bet against the Pats in a game that means something. I just don't think the Jets can beat the Pats.

I totally agree, the AFC championship will be the REAL Super Bowl. The Chargers are really dangerous, but I'm not sold on Marty as coach. If I had to bet I'd go with the Pats taking the AFC to the big game.

tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:33 AM UTC
The Chiefs are gonna sneak in under the radar and take it all I hope
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 03:10 AM UTC
My Lions can't even finish a losing season properly, beating the Dallas Cowboys in their finale and losing the 1st overall draft pick.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My Lions can't even finish a losing season properly, beating the Dallas Cowboys in their finale and losing the 1st overall draft pick.

I guess the "Millen Man March" didn't do much good.

As a Packer-fan-by-birth (I was a fan long before anyone wore cheese on their heads), I feel sorry for the Lions. Except for a few abominations, the Packers haved owed the Lions since Barry Sanders called it quits. The Vikings suck, the Bears blow, but the Lions just lay there and take it ...

Super Bowl: Chiefs vs. Saints

(OK, I really think it will be Chargers vs. Saints, but we all gotta have dreams.)

Saints win. It is ordained.
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 05:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, except for a couple of good seasons in their history, the Patriots were a less than stellar organization before this century began. I remember the old jokes about the name change from Boston Patriots to New England Patriots. The old joke went like this:

Why did the Patriots change their name to New England?
Answer: To help spread the blame.

In other words, it may be only a matter of time before your team rises to a place of respect. If they play more games like the one agains the Cowboys, they may be heading in the right direction.

As for the Saints, I think they have a good chance, but it also depends on which Eagles team shows up at the playoffs.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 06:05 PM UTC
Don't forget Alan in January of 2003, four years ago, the Colts got thrashed in the AFC Wildcard game 41 to 0 by the Jets...

Shaun
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 02:19 AM UTC
Well,
Go Pats. Looks like they have the game in hand and I hope they beat the Chargers next week. If they win and the Colts win the AFC Championship game will be back at the Colt's house.
How 'bout that Colt defense?

Shaun
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 05:37 AM UTC
The game looked good going into the half. The Pats just up by a TD, no biggie, but then Tom Brady reminds people why he has three Super Bowl wins. The Chargers will be tough, hopefully it won't be a repeat of last year's game.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 08:50 AM UTC
You think maybe Brady has something to prove? No pro-bowl this year after basically carrying that team on his back?
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 09:03 AM UTC
Man, look at the Colts. But I think the game of the night was easily Dallas and Seattle. Man that was a great last quarter of football. I really don't want to be Tony Romo right now.

Jeff
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 04:07 PM UTC
Belichec (SP?) has lost only one playoff game while coaching the Pats if I heard right on ESPN yesterday. LAst year's game at Denver. That is mighty impressive whether you are a Patriots fan or not.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be Romo either. If TO tells you you can call him if you need someone to talk to you know you are in real trouble...

Shaun
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 04:28 PM UTC
I wanted to thank all of guys who spread a little light on a subject that has long since been taken away from me. We used to get the Super Bowl here, usually got a bunch of guys together to watch it, without know who was going to play. It was always fun, but there wasn't enough people watching it to keep having it shown (how odd, the game was shown live from 12pm to 3am)

Since getting a dish, I got a lot of sports channels, but wouldn't you know they don't show the SuperBowl... but the occasional game. I'm a Cheesehead by birth and have the Packers in my DNA, but it was a long time now since they did anything well...

Thanks again!!
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 04:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You think maybe Brady has something to prove? No pro-bowl this year after basically carrying that team on his back?

Maybe, but he's got a pretty good defense that doesn't allow a whole lot of points. The Jets learned that they had a better chance of scoring a touchdown from a long break out play than they did from the red zone.

How about the big man Wilfork rumbling for 31 yards with the errant lateral?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 06:19 PM UTC
Opening Line, for anyone that is interested:
Ravens -3.5
Saints -4.5
Bears -8.5
Chargers -4.5

Still like the Patriots and the Colts.
Also picking the Bears and the Saints. Eagles didn't impress me much yesterday..

Shaun
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 07:01 PM UTC
Well, I didn't put it in print here, but I was 2-2 this weekend. I missed on the G-Men and the Cowboys, and hit on the Colts and Pats. As someone said the Eagles were certainly not impressive yesterday. The Giants just couldn't seem to put everything together at the right time. The D plays well and the offense can't move the ball. Then the offense finally scores and the D can't hold the Eagles. The Pats looked good yesterday, the game against the Chargers should really be a good one! I haven't looked to closely at the other upcoming games, but I'm going to go out on a limb and pick the Colts over Baltimore, if for no other reason, because I can't stand the Ravens.

Mike
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 10:06 PM UTC
I wished I had placed a bet, I was 4-0 yesterday. Here is how I'd pick next week.

Indy at Baltimore. The Colts were very impressive on D Saturday, but is that the way they'll play on the road? I don't really think so. Manning is great, but I don't think they can score as many points against the Ravens, who I also hate. I'd go with the Ravens.

Philadelphia at New Orleans. New Orleans has all the intangibles, and is a very good team. Philly though has the momentum and that seems to be a critical thing in the playoffs. I'm going with the Eagles.

Seattle at Chicago. Chicago has got to be the worst 13-3 team in history. Can you believe their QB admitted to not giving 100% in the final game? Grossman is going to be on a VERY short lease. If Grossman can avoid making any mistakes the Seattle D is weak enough they should be able to beat it. I'll go with Chicago.

New England at San Diego. If just about any other coach was coaching San Diego I'd say this would be a blow out. I'm not convinced Marty isn't going to blow it somehow. I also have a policy of never betting against New England. I think this is going to be the hardest one to call, and the best game. Based on how well they played against the Jets, and down the stretch, especially considering how badly Rivers played down the stretch, I'm going out on a limb and taking New England.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 - 04:26 AM UTC
I was 3-1 for last weekend. I missed the KC/Indy game and I almost nailed the score for the Philly/NY game (I called 24-21). I agree than Philly did not look as good as they should have against a team most thought did not belong in the playoffs. I think if that QB had a different last name, he would not be starting in the NFL.

My picks for this week are:
Indy over Baltimore (I would like to see Peyton win one before he becomes over the hill)
Pats over the Chargers (can't bet against my team!)

Seahawks over Bears (the final nail in their coffin)
Saint over the Eagles (as stated above, Philly was looking weak)

It is strange to note that both NFC games were were decided by a field goal (one made, one missed), while both AFC games were blowouts.

Win or lose, I think the best game of the post season will be the San Diego-New England game Sunday night.