_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Corrugated metal pipe and or Sheets
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 05:01 AM UTC
I'm looking fo a source of some Corrugated metal (can be plastic) in 1/35 scale I see
Monroe Perdu Sells some, But how would i go about making Corrugated Pipe? also Plastruct sells some 1/32 scale Vacu-formed sheets as well.

Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 05:47 AM UTC
I don't know about pipes, but corrugated sheets are easy to make.. Take a piece of wood and glue round sticks to it (they should be approximately 1/2 cm apart from each other). Do exactly the same with other piece of wood.. Now that you have two wooden blocks with round sticks glued to them just take a piece of thin metal plate and press between the wooden blocks.. The thin metal will become corrugated..

I hope you understand me as my English is not as good as I'd want it to be. Anyways, hope this helps,

Mario M.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 05:53 AM UTC
Matt,

This is talkt about in a previous posting, maybe this can help?

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/6573&page=1
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC
An easy solution, if you don't need very long lengths, can be to use the plastic straws that you can bend.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:53 AM UTC
Another thought - don't know how well it will work.

You could try to find a threaded pipe at the local DIY store. My thought is it might be to thick?
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 09:31 AM UTC
the direction of the corrugations on the pipe is what's making me wonder how to make it.
The Paper idea may work.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:53 AM UTC
LOL ! All of a sudden I feel as if I spent the past 43 years on another planet :
What are corrugated pipes used for ???
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:11 AM UTC
Most common usage Jan is for drainage under a road to move run-off from one side of the road to the other so the water doesn't wash out the road.

Now back to the original question...have you tried any train shops Matt? No guarantees but they might be the best source for a pipe. Scale may not be an issue because they may have pipe of various size. Just a thought.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 02:35 PM UTC
I'm looking to use them in a 'nam era setting. Half sections of large dia. pipe was used to create bunkers and such. I'd like to have them Building a bunker. the train shops i've tried don't hace anything larger than HO (1/87) scale.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 06:47 PM UTC
Easy to make the corrogated sheet -- tough to make the pipe. I'd also be interested if someone knows the solution to this problem.

I've tried this a couple times and it (the corrogated sheet) has always crimped when I treid to form it around something. I would have been happy for a 3/4 round (with 1/4 of it buried in dio groundwork or "water"), but it never worked.

Jan: This is a product we Americans love to use as "culvert pipe" under roads, driveways or anyplace else we figure an open stream or creek won't work. The corrogations make it stronger so it won't cave in when you drive a vehicle across the "bridge" that it provides. The stuff has to be covered and surrounded by earth to have any suspension capability.
MonroePerdu
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:26 AM UTC
I haven't investigated it yet but maybe some flexible hose that attaches to a shop vac?
The standard size is probably too large but there might be smaller hand vacs or other devices that use flexible plastic, ribbed tubing. Try a hardware store or an electronics surplus place I suppose. Or else, you might have to make a half round master "buck" and vacu-form over it. Cut out and join the halves to form the pipe.
Mike
www.monroeperdu.com
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:39 AM UTC
I don't know what diameter pipe you are after but here is an idea that I used in the past:
Take a piece of all-thread or a bolt the same diameter of the pipe you want and wrap it in heavy gage foil. Press the foil down into the threads. Then, gently pull off the foil (you should still be able to see the impressions from the threads.) Glue the foil together length wise. You have your pipe. You can also gently flatten the foil out after you take it off of the threaded rod to make corrigated sheets... Hope this helps...
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:10 PM UTC
Hey guys here is just a thought have you ever noticed while under the hood of youre car that stuff that is wrapped around youre wiring I think it is called (wire loom )at automotive stores some Ive seen looks 1/35 scale I beleive you can get at the parts store it might be worth a try.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 07:11 AM UTC
Great Idea..... The hosei've seen is too big for 1/35 but the Wire harness material may work......... :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:40 AM UTC
Here is the wire loom I spoke of it is 3/8 in dia.
Bravo21
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 09:11 PM UTC
Matt,

I just saw some corregated metal sheets in a local model railroad shop 2 days ago! I didn't make a note of the manufacturer but it might have been Scale Scenics. I'll swing by the model shop tomorrow 3/20 and check it out again. Stay tuned... (:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC
I saw a new post here and had a Shazam!
Take a plastic tube about the size you want and wrap it with wire. Then take a piece of either aluminum foil or plastic wrap. And really work it down into the wire. Then coat it with white glue water mix to stiffin it. Then slide the tube out and work the wire out.

It's a bit of work - I like the electrical harness better - but in case that doesn't work....
Bravo21
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 08:07 AM UTC
Matt and all,

The product I saw at my local model railroad shop was corregated aluminum sheets by Campbell Scale Models. I couldn't find a website for them but I bet a trip to your local model railroad shop would pay off. The sheets come in various sizes of corregation and are approximately 3"x7.5". These could be wraped around a dowell to produce a corregated pipe much like the real thing. I think it would be an easier starting point that makeing your own corregated material. If you look deeper into the model railroad catalogs, you might even find pre-formed pipes, possibly in plastic (Plastruct).

I have found model railroad shops to be an excellent source for diorama products. Good luck.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 01:28 PM UTC
why couldn't you use a piece of corrugated sheet plastic, and "soften" it up, then bend it around to make the pipe.

Maybe that will work,

~Chip
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2003 - 08:45 PM UTC
check with an auto repair shop or one of those build it for you computer places. I'm sure they've got bits and pieces of that stuff laying around you can get for free. Spray them a steel color. No fuss no muss and cheap! I think those sheeets of corregated from Campbell some like the tcket, but I'll bet plasitruct makes them and I think you get bigger sheets for less money
MonroePerdu
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 04:55 AM UTC
I saw the pipe you're looking for. They have it at a store called "The Do-it Center" here in California. I imagine any home improvement store will have it. I think it's called "washing machine cleanout tube", or something lke that. Just go to where they have all the hose and tubes on reels that you purchase by the foot. This stuff is very thin white plastic and costs $1.45 a foot. It's about 3/4 inch in diameter.
Mike
www.monroeperdu.com
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2003 - 05:26 AM UTC
Excellent idea! I love it when we find products for our models in places that have absolutely nothing to do with modeling. It just shows how you have to keep your eyes open for products with modeling potential everywhere you go.
 _GOTOTOP