_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Just a bit put off
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 10:49 PM UTC
I've recently posted anwers/links in a few posts asking specific questions, what's the tank in Help! and where to find Tamiya Dinos, e.eg. There has been no indication the original poster ever came back to find his answer or if he did, had not the courtesy to post a quick "Got it" reply.
Anyway, I just had to get this off my chest. I feel beter, now.
Everyone, have a great holiday.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:30 PM UTC
Gotta agree with you Al. I see that sometimes the same question is copy-pasted over several sites and the original poster never responds to any of the answers. I am sometimes guilty of this but always try to reply to everyone who took the time to answer.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:04 AM UTC
I'm with you Al, I know it's better to give than to recieve but it does annoy me a little when people ask for info then either don't bother to check back or if they do don't even say thanks
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:17 AM UTC
I agree Al. Looking through my own threads, Im nearly always the last to post. I appreciate each and every time a fellow modeller takes the time to post, and especially when Im asking for help or information.

It normally doesn´t bother me much when its only a post, typed quickly. Recently a guy PMed and e-mailed me constantly, looking for info. I spent a few hours getting pics and writing an explanation, and never heard from him afterwards. That really ticked me off!
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:37 AM UTC
This actually raised a good user interface issue. Should people who post new topics be given a checkbox to get email notices of new replies (they would basically subscribe to the topic)?

Jim
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This actually raised a good user interface issue. Should people who post new topics be given a checkbox to get email notices of new replies (they would basically subscribe to the topic)?

Not a bad idea Jim. I would use this, if available.
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 340 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 01:10 AM UTC
Jim, I think the check box idea is worth trying out. I know I would find it useful.

Sean
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim

A couple other modeling sites have this as an option and its a nice little feature. Sounds good.

Steve
CReading
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 05:36 AM UTC
I think Digital Dioramas had a similar function wherein you could opt for an email sent each time your post (or any posting you checked off) received another response. Made it real easy to follow threads that you were interested in.

Cheers,
Charles
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Digital Dioramas had a similar function wherein you could opt for an email sent each time your post (or any posting you checked off) received another response. Made it real easy to follow threads that you were interested in.

can't we already do this by subscribing to the post?
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 07:17 AM UTC
Definitely would help to have a checkbox of some sort. I think in most cases, users dont even know that they have received replies in their threads.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 10:22 AM UTC
As Pat points out, this feature is already available to those who want to use it...
But I bet that a large proportion of those who do not acknowledge a reply to their answer posted the answer in a typical short fashion to begin with. Quite typical of the modern sms way of communicating I suppose.. I have a feeling that most of the people responding in this particular thread are of an age where manners where part of your upbringing.

Cheers
Henk

I'll make sure to check later if there has been a response so that I can properly thank the respondee.

:-)
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim

Please, no email notices.

Email has its limits and many of us already receive way too many emails every day.

May I suggest the following:

next to the "my account " link on top of the screen there is already an envelop symbol which flashes in case that I have a new personal message.

Why not a second one that flashes when there are replies to forum posts that I have started or forum posts for which i have a particular interest. Clicking on it could give a list of he topics for which there are new replies.

The advantage is that one button on the screen would cover all forum posts and that the solution is completely within the kitmaker environment.

Using email would lead to an avalange of emails for the poor soul who raises a popular subject in the forums.

just my 0.02 cents

Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 03:41 PM UTC
The problem with adding all this functionality is that they all add up and slow the site down. No amount of 'fixes' will make up for some users bad manners. Even if you tell them they have answers posted to their questions, there are certain types of users out there who are just that.............. 'Users'. Once they have the information they want, they're gone, until the next time.

Vinnie
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 03:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The problem with adding all this functionality is that they all add up and slow the site down. No amount of 'fixes' will make up for some users bad manners. Even if you tell them they have answers posted to their questions, there are certain types of users out there who are just that.............. 'Users'. Once they have the information they want, they're gone, until the next time.

Vinnie

As user, I am really interested in the function that I ask in my previous reply. Sometimes, i start a thread and get a late answer a few days or weeks later and then I miss it.

functionality is what makes me visit the site. This site is simply useful for a modeler with the very welcome benefit of finding good company here.

without functionality, no users, no good company, no site.

But you are right, additional features will not solve bad manners, and could have an a bad influence on site performance (which is already sometimes criticised).
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 03:57 PM UTC
I temporarily bookmark topics I'm waiting for answers in. Easy to revisit with just a click, and when you're sure they're finished, just delete the bookmark.

Vinie
05Sultan
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 09:33 PM UTC
Gotta go with Vinnie on this.No amount of technology is going to overcome bad manners. The people who truly appreciate the response will reply. You can prompt a reply by adding,"let us know how it went" at the end of your post,but that's no guarentee.
Cheers to the undaunted!
GuyHerrick
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 09:46 PM UTC
We have that option on pf. It also annoys me to see the poster of a question never acknowledge the responses. I think twice about answering another question from the same poster. I guess its the little things that grate.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 10:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a feeling that most of the people responding in this particular thread are of an age where manners where part of your upbringing.

Please, Thank you, and May I are long forgotten terms these days. Good Manners died along with common sense. :-)
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 06:51 AM UTC
I know that there are people on site who have direct access and/or expertise in a certain topic, and choose to ask for the info even when knowing that with a little extra time spent hunting down the info on the www would prove fruitful enough for me... But as a result of doing this it is more than appreciated, and those people will be thanked when necessary!
And yes, the sms style question proves 'somewhat irksome'
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 04:36 PM UTC
Both Guy and Grumpy raise the fundamental point - good manners....
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
I hae to agree on the part about common courtesy and manners. I am also put off on people what write their posts in all lowercase, chat shorthand and no punctuation whatsoever. I am also put off by people that seem to think this is a 24 hours vending machine of knowledge and expect answers right away for such simple questions that can be googled.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am also put off on people what write their posts in all lowercase, chat shorthand and no punctuation whatsoever.

OR WORSE, ALL IN UPPERASE......

sorry
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OR WORSE, ALL IN UPPERASE......

:-) Or when someone makes it sound like somewhere you'd like to put something :-) :-)
Sorry Henk
(if anyone needs me I'll be in the corner)
markvs
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 70 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC
I would like , myself to see that email reminder/responses are availiable, as that is what I rely on to remind me of what I have (hopefully) added something to in a conversation. I myself dont get all that many emails, but surely with the yahoo's and the msn's we can all have email accounts set aside just for this type of email?
I know that on some sites I frequent by the time I can get back, I cannot remember or find the originalpost or topic....
But then perhaps that's just senility creeping in?
 _GOTOTOP