_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Just a bit put off
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 02:25 PM UTC
The problem with Email notifications is that usually the email contains the reply as well, atleast thats how it works on some other online auto reply emails. If this is the case then I would not do it, as the person receiving the email will just read the reply in the email and wont go to the site. And that wont fix the problem.

I think Guy have the correct solution, if they dont appreciate your help...then fine...dont reply next time.

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 06:20 PM UTC
I don't expect a thank you response. Unless the topic is of interest and a back and forth discussion ensues, I don't revisit threads that often. Therefore I would not see a thank you.

I would just as likely answer a stranger's question as a regular contributor. Sometimes even though I know the answer and am first to read the topic, I don't post a response. This is because I know there are several experts who will echo an answer even if it has already been given by 2, 3 or more individuals within the thread.
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 627 Posts
KitMaker Network: 81 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Guy have the correct solution, if they dont appreciate your help...then fine...dont reply next time.

Actually, I don't think that addresses the problem exactly. I post a lot and sometimes lose track of my posts. On another web site for an unrelated hobby, I am always notified that there is a follow up to my post and a link that will take me there. However, I have to use that link to see the actual post. It's extremely helpful!

Cheers, Gary
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 05:01 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Silly old me will respond anyway, if and when I believe I have
something useful to contribute, since I think that there might
be others who would like to know the answer.

If I take the trouble to scan and e-mail information to someone
and don't get any response I tend to get irritated.

I also try to remember to finish off those topics that I started ...
/ Robin
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This actually raised a good user interface issue. Should people who post new topics be given a checkbox to get email notices of new replies (they would basically subscribe to the topic)?

Jim

Jim

I actually think this would be a great feature because with there being so many aspects of the network sometimes I forget what I have posted. By having this feature it would remind me of what I have been posting.

Ross
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't expect a thank you response. Unless the topic is of interest and a back and forth discussion ensues, I don't revisit threads that often. Therefore I would not see a thank you.

I would just as likely answer a stranger's question as a regular contributor. Sometimes even though I know the answer and am first to read the topic, I don't post a response. This is because I know there are several experts who will echo an answer even if it has already been given by 2, 3 or more individuals within the thread.

I pretty much feel the same as Rob on this one. Unfortunately I also don't always have time to repond immediately, and by the time I do, someone else may already have answered the question.

Similarly, I don't always have the opportunity to reply to PM's and emails (and I realise this may sound arrogant), although generally I do always try. Similarly I don't always expect a reply to my own PM's or emails provided my request (or instruction ) is followed.

Something that does, however, irk me is when I send an email and the recipient deletes it without reading it (I have delivery/read receipt set as a default)... I just figure, hey I took the time to type the email, the least you could do is read it

The same goes for the "All please read" posts I make from time to time

My 2 bits

Happy New Year

Rudi
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,171 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 29, 2006 - 07:46 AM UTC
NO on email (or PM) notifications, unless "Opt-Out" is the default.

There are too many guys posting same question on multi-boards then never acknowledging input anywhere -- that's just bad manners & it is pervasive. There are also guys who only ask, never give ...

I ask on one board and give it time to work before I go elsewhere. I also keep track of the "ungrateful" askers and stop responding ...

I also keep track, in my head (part of my old age therapy) of topics of interest and make it s point to go back & look -- it ain't all that hard ... I rarely set a topic for email notification ... If I can't keep track of it in my head, it must not be that important ... If I've got that many then I'm spending too much time online ...

John
 _GOTOTOP