_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
fave modeller?
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:29 AM UTC
Who do you folks like and why? I am really imprssed with Mig Jiminez's weathering, his armour looks like people have been all over it. I have one of his books Armour in teh East vol 1(something like that) is he doing anything else? I also like Calvin Tan's figures.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:51 AM UTC
:-) I have always been really partial to Shep Paine's stuff. I grew up reading this guys stuff and if you look in Great Scale Modelling 2003 he's still doing great things. I have to say, although there are other really good modellers, he's my favorite. Jeff
CARFACE
entire network: 128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 01:20 PM UTC
Hello,
Though I've seen little of his modelling, I've been impressed with Sabot. Rob has always gone out of his way to help anyone with anything, something I think we all should aspire to.

Chuck
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:09 PM UTC
There are a number of people here that I try to emulate and learn from, Gunni, Anderz, Keith each have thier own genre and style. Gotta admit I don't tend to remember names of others outside of Armorama.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:12 PM UTC
Shep Paine was one of my main inspirations to get into armor modeling and I still enjoy his work. Greg Cihlar, Bill Horan, and Tony Greenland also turn out excellent work.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:39 PM UTC
Hola!

Like all the rest of us I have plenty of people that I admire and look up to. Especially in modeling as different people has different styles and I would say we look at the people who uses the style that we want to acheive our selves. Often we use all the different sources of inspiration and shape them all together in one, hence creating your own style.

In weathering and finishing armor I have to say that Mirko Bayerl or a favorite, his armor is top notch and he's also a great guy. As far as figures goes, there are several, all mentioned in no particular order, Bill Horan, his conversions and painting is simply awesome! Mike Blank, gotta love his delicate brush strokes and faces. Dough Cohen, awesome acrylic painter. Gordie for his sculpting and the willingness to share with us. I also like Latorre's style of painting with extreme contrasts. Now, I am sure there are tons of other people out there who has inspired me through out the years, but these are the ones that seems to stick.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:45 PM UTC
I would have to say, off the top of my head, Mig Jiminez and Mirko Bayerl. They both create masterpieces of super real armour and their skills make them my favorites.

Andrew

Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 03:01 PM UTC
I would have a hard time picking just one. When I was younger Shep Paine was some one whose work I really liked (and still do). These days I think Mig, and James Blackwell's work is very impressive. One name I don't see or here much about is Ron Putte, but have seen pictures of some of his work on ML that have really inspired me. Gilles Peiffer of Blast Models, I also like his work very much (he made the masters for the Strv 122 conv.) I could keep on going but I guess if you made me name just one it would be Mirko Bayerl, his work is just incredible, figures and vehicles both. I think if put in front of the right backdrop most people could not tell his models from the real thing

Let's raise one to all of them, and many more
Mike
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 117 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 03:34 PM UTC
Hi guys and porkers,

I have to say Duane Pfister and Cookie Sewell and James Stueard and Shep Paine and Lord the list goes on and the guys here like Gunny and KF MacGee and a host of others that fly through the threads and byways of Cyberspace here are just candy on top of the icing that has become the model making hobby over the years.

We have variations and themes that were never even thought about a few years ago. Look at all the fantasy and role playing stuff as well as the amazing microfigures that people are doing in the figure classes. I can remember the years when there was no standard scales, you could go to the toy store and buy your new Revell army truck and would it be a 1/35 like most are now? Not on your life, try 1/40. Bandai did a running business and still carries a few of their excellent kits in 1/48th scale. They came complete with engines and drivetrains as well as crew compartments, they styrene was of an excellent quality and they always had a release agent coating that you could feel.

So I can remember a host of old guys and can look forward to a bigger and better host coming up.
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 03:45 PM UTC
This is why I posted this who is Mirko Bayerl and where can I see his work? I've heard of most of the other names mentoned. Do you guys think there are different "cultural" styles like European, Asian or North American? I really used to like (still do to some extent) Verlinden work. It has really only been this yaer that I got into modelling seriously so I didn't "grow up" with anybody in particular but I always remeber teh verlinden stuff in catalogues.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 04:36 PM UTC
Hola Godfather!

Mirko is a German armor expert (in my book anyway) and do a lot of late war Panthers and Tiger's which are excellent. He frequents the Missing Lynx web site and he also has a gallery there. Check it out!
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 04:44 PM UTC
I'll weigh in on Mirko and James Blackwell as well.
Amazing talents and also very helpful to the rest of us unwashed masses..

Mike
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 06:26 PM UTC
Good question. Being new to modelling I haven't seen an awful lot of stuff, but I do like Shep Paines work (I have one of his books). Also Mig Jiminez I have come across and greatly respect. I like the Verlinden figures etc but I'm not a big fan of the finished artices and Dios.
On this site I really like Keith's Dios (and all the help he offers)

Roger
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 08:43 PM UTC

I have two names that I haven`t heard here and from who I always enjoy watching their models and dio`s.
Steve Zaloga Great guy, writes articles for Milmod, And always has good looking tanks.
And of course the guy from belgium Marijn van Gils. Best of show winner at the Euromilitaire with his dio: The last Round" He makes also very good and inspirative dios.
Same with Jean Baptiste Verlhac
And I definitely don`t want to submit this post without calling this name....... Me #:-) #:-)
No I actually mentioned Mig Jimenez. I like his series of destroyed tanks and he made so much so cool things.

I think these are my Fave Modelers

Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 01:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

if you look in Great Scale Modelling 2003 he's still doing great things.

If you're talking about the "Lady Be Good," that model was done at least 20 years ago! Still, or perhaps because they were done "back in the day," Shep's models are awesome.

Steve Zaloga gets my vote -- great modeler, super researcher ...
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 02:14 AM UTC
Darn, I forgot about Steve Zaloga.
His combination of great research and great models puts him high on my list too.

Andrew

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 03:50 AM UTC
I have Shep Paine's books and he has given me a great deal of information. The guy that has really inspired me though is Steve Zaloga. I found missing-lynx.com by accident a while back and the pictures of his vehicles are astounding. I especially like the way he photographs a model to look like it was really in the scenery.

I've read that he does some, or all, of his work in 1/72nd scale. If that is true is work is even more amazing.

When I grow up I want to be Steve Zaloga.
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 200 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:23 AM UTC
I like Steve Zaloga - I had posted something about him a little while ago in the figure forum. I was able to track him down (can't say how ...) and sent him an email. He replied back with a brief answer to a question I asked!

If you check out Military Modelling you can see alot of his work. I just started a subscription to it so I don't miss any of his articles.

GR8Voyager
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 1,966 Posts
KitMaker Network: 297 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:29 AM UTC
Yeah, Steve Zaloga is another name I left out. He posts regularly on ML, and is very good about trying to answer questions asked of him. Actually alot of these guys are. :-)

Later, Mike
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:40 AM UTC
Another name I haven't seen here is Mike Ashey.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:56 AM UTC
Here are some of my favorites:

Chep Paine, because he got me in this hobby :-)
Marijn Van Gils, Last year I was a member of KMK- Geel the Belgium modeling club where he can be found and he is a inspiration for diorama builders (The last Round and Godverdomme come to mind) and he is just a nice fellow, sharing his ideas and methods, he also helpt me with my first dio "Searge, I think we should have turned left!" - hopefully I can return to the club soon, I miss those Friday meetings
Mario Eens is also a Belgium Modeler from the modeling club Moveleo, he is kind of a closed person but his work (armor) is inspiring, what he can do with PE is magic to me.
Rudi Meir is also a member of KMK, his work (from what I have seen) is top notch and he helpt me last year on my Stuart, learning me the tricks to weathering, chipped paint, filters etc., Man he really put my nose in it, thanks Rudi
We can't forget Mig off course, another modeling icon of this period.
And for figures I like to marvel at the work of Bannerman and Gino Poppe.

I guess the list go's on and on, because every now and then I see some work on this and other forums which inspire me to learn more, sometimes from modelers who are at it for 10-20 years and sometimes from 16 year old kids.

Roaddie, stop rambling ..... #:-)
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 652 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 11:16 AM UTC
Apart from the little piggies in DSB ( Anders, Dave Tong, Oberst etc):
Scott Murphy ( http://members.tripod.com/scottsmodels/tips.htm )
Tony Greenland
Ron Putee ( http://pmms.webace.com.au/ )
Jean Baptiste Verlhac (sujects in http://www.track-link.net/ )
Bob Letterman (from Verlinden)
Ronald Kok from his recovery site
Me myself and I..................................
#:-)
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:46 PM UTC
The person who most influenced me was Ron Volstad...always known more for his contributions to Osprey and of course his box art for Dragon. But a great modeller who I had the pleasure of meeting a number of times about 12 years ago and in a very short time greatly improved my modelling. His passion for the hobby was second to none. Number two on my list would be Steve Zaloga.....great research and great models.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 09:36 AM UTC
Have to agree on Mig but also up and coming folks from China and Korea. And of cause our own Jim Lewis. Capt fantastic or capt Jack, Dave ,squid, list is endless also.
Tell me this ain't goodhttp://www.missing-lynx.com/gallery/modern/t55nk_serangkim.html check that T-55 out now that is some figure painting

Make sure you hit that link!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 07:08 PM UTC
I guess my dad would be first. He wan't any great shakes just built them for me until I was 7 and started doing it on my own. Tony Greenland inspired me to great achievment and to build competition class armor
 _GOTOTOP