_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
History channel
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:02 PM UTC
Hello everyone, kinda new here... As I have gone through an amazing amout of info here, I just realized that the history channel runs a show called the colour of war... My wife, gotta love her, just let me watch it all day... But I was thinking that it would be a good source of reference if someone wants to turn on the vcr.. Anyways, thanks for all the tips
Wonder
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 13 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:12 PM UTC
Yea I just watched it tonight for the first time. Its pretty good, has lots of information about war and is all color videos. :-)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:13 PM UTC
Yes this is a pretty good series.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 03:53 AM UTC
Gotta agree this series is a great resource. The medic episode is one of my favorites.

One thing everyone should note when watching this -- even though the footage is in color, the colors may not be exact. Films from that era were notoriously unstable and shifted colors. Also, time has taken its toll and some film footage has faded. Be careful if you plan to use any of this footage as a painting reference. One scene I noticed was an LVT (Buffalo) that looked almost panzer yellow on the sunlit side, but dark green on the rear end, which was in the shade. My guess is that the actual vehicle was overall olive drab, but the lighting and color shift of the film made it look different.

That noted, pay attention to the shots of groups of soldiers and vehicles and notice the great variation between the colors of like items. This is something to keep in mind when painting soldiers and vehicles for dioramas.
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 426 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
I meant to record that and also "The secrets of WWII" that came on after it but I missed out.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 02:09 PM UTC
Well I cannot comment on The History Channel in America but the Canadian equivalent, History Television has aired a documentary called "Tht Third Reich in Color" a few times and it is absolutely spectacular. It was mentioned in Tamiya Model Mag and is available from amazonuk.com....

Andrew

_GOTOTOP