_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How Many Under 18's?
HES21
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 01:14 AM UTC
It seems that many of the 'older' guys (no offence! :-) ) are always encouraging the young 'uns.
But how many young 'uns are there? (Under 18's?)
And when did you start modelling?

I for one are just 16. I started modelling about a year ago, but seriously from this last summer hol. I also signed into this site this year.

What about you guys?

Harry
Davester444
Visit this Community
entire network: 850 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 01:25 AM UTC
I'm 15, going on 16, been modelling for two and a half years, been a member here for a year and a half.
There's a been a few threads like this in the past, but we haven't had one in a while. I'll be interested to see how many other under 18's there are here now.

Dave
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 02:55 AM UTC
I'm 14 found an outlet for A my historical knowledge B my artistic view (without my dumbshat art teacher telling What the heck! I did wrong when I've already fixed it)
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 04:43 AM UTC
17 here, hitting legal drinking age in april!

WOOOHOO!
:)
Frank
armorjunior
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 263 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2006 - 08:06 AM UTC
im 13 im gona be 14 in january
loudYANK
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hey, sorry if this is a little late,
Im 16 and its nice to see some other young faces on the site.
We should share the projects we are curriently working on, since it is a little discouraging when you see some of the work other guys complete and advice from early skill levels is always helpful.
Just a thought,
-YANK-
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 783 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 08:02 AM UTC
I am ummm.....well....35. So yeah, Im one of those "older guys" LOL I just wanted to say I am glad to see younger people taking on this hobby. When I started modelling again about 4 years ago, I was talking to the owner of my local hobby store. I felt kind of funny being my age building models, and that was the topic of our conversation. he told me the only people he gets for customers are my age and older. I was a bit shocked and kind of saddened that lots of yung people miss this hobby and play Xbox and what not. Its a true art and talent to be able to reproduce a model in detail. dont ever give it up guys, and dont let your friends make you feel odd for building a model. Again, glad to see you guys are interested.
Pettastic
Visit this Community
entire network: 23 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 12:57 AM UTC
Im not 18 but 20...not to far off.But you guys have nice stuff all of you!!!!!
loudYANK
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 68 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2006 - 08:22 AM UTC
It is hard to recruit new hands at this hobby when most kids my age will just boot up a game and play as that tank or plane instead of build it. It will be an ongoing conflict in the years to come with the appeal of the hobby amongst the age groups.
-YANK-
boy333
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 03:11 PM UTC
just turned 13 last month,
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 06:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm 14 found an outlet for A my historical knowledge B my artistic view (without my dumbshat art teacher telling What the heck! I did wrong when I've already fixed it)

*Pffffffft!* Dont pay attention to that teacher! If you enjoy building models, keep on building them. Sometimes teachers tell you these things with the best of intent, but they arent looking at the "whole picture". You already said it was an outlet for your historical knowledge, and thats enough! I have always been a history buff, and to be honest, I think I learn more about history while researching for dio's than I do at any other time.

Not to be a bad influence on you Luke (thats my oldest sons name!), but teachers, despite the fact that they like to think they know everything (especially art teachers), dont. I had a history yeacher in 12th grade (1984) try to convince me Shermans army never burnt Atlanata to the ground.

"SkateOrDie" huh? I used to be a skate punk, back "in the day". I liked Zorlac boards the best. But somewhere along the way, I turned 42, got married, and found myself with two sons......Funny how life sneaks up on you like that.
Ethan
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 17 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 06:20 PM UTC
I'm 12 going on 13. i was surprised about the amount of younger people on here.
James
SkateOrDie
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 747 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

*Pffffffft!* Dont pay attention to that teacher! If you enjoy building models, keep on building them. Sometimes teachers tell you these things with the best of intent, but they arent looking at the "whole picture". You already said it was an outlet for your historical knowledge, and thats enough! I have always been a history buff, and to be honest, I think I learn more about history while researching for dio's than I do at any other time.

Not to be a bad influence on you Luke (thats my oldest sons name!), but teachers, despite the fact that they like to think they know everything (especially art teachers), dont. I had a history yeacher in 12th grade (1984) try to convince me Shermans army never burnt Atlanata to the ground.

"SkateOrDie" huh? I used to be a skate punk, back "in the day". I liked Zorlac boards the best. But somewhere along the way, I turned 42, got married, and found myself with two sons......Funny how life sneaks up on you like that.

I'm a punk and I skate I get yelled at by my friends that my music sucks and I'm another stupid punk. and my art teacher sez my work is sloppy and it isn't hes just a stupid art teacher who needs to eat 1000 tic-yacs cuz my art teachers breath smells like he ate dog crap fer breakfast everyday
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 20, 2006 - 02:52 AM UTC
It's always nice to see the younger generation in this hobby. At the IPMS UK Scale Modelworld show, held over the last week end (18-19th Nov) we, at the IPMS-UK Kitmaker branch spoke to as many "youngsters" as possible. A couple are signing up and I encouraged a bunch of Air Cadets to look in (which they were able to do because we had in internet connection). We need you all so keep up the great work
Mal
HES21
Visit this Community
entire network: 288 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 09:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It is hard to recruit new hands at this hobby when most kids my age will just boot up a game and play as that tank or plane instead of build it. It will be an ongoing conflict in the years to come with the appeal of the hobby amongst the age groups.
-YANK-

I cannot agree more. When I go round to someone's house we either play sport or simply muck around on the PS2. However, when its a rainy day (most of the year in England!), the ability to sit down and spend a couple of hours actually achieving something is very rewarding.
I suppose as I don't have a games console I have more opportunity to build/paint than others who do have one - I think I'm one of the only 'model-makers' in my year, but being at a bording school I like the feeling of being able to relax for a little while on my own, and do something which I cannot do at school.

Harry
Timd346
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 74 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 06:28 AM UTC
Kinda late but i am 13 and i started modeling about 5 moths ago and i have 2 bros 1 that supports me because he is into art and most of art is painting and the other one has nothing to say because he dosent no wut to do but play video games.

Tim
Panzercmdr
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 07:23 AM UTC
I am 16 and I stared modeling when I was seven! I used to build a lot of aircraft, but I build a whole lot of armor now. I don’t feel bad knowing that I am not the only teenager here

Natasha
airwarrior
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 07:49 AM UTC
I'll be 17 in April. I;ve gotta say, in my 4 years and some odd months here, I bet I've learned more than I could with all of the magazines in the world.
modelmaker9
entire network: 125 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 08:08 AM UTC
im 14 and started modeling when i was around 10
bounce19712
entire network: 80 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 03:29 PM UTC
I started plastic modeling when I was like 8 or so.....

I would slam about five models together without paint during a weekend visit to my dad......too much glue, the parts would melt and never dry...alot of pieces never made it off the sprue.....then they would crash and catch on fire in the backyard....(Don't do it) lol

I remember seeing my older friends models and recall being AMAZED at the level of detail and painting excellence....

the first technique I learned was dry brushing....

anyways...I'm 35 now....lol.....I hope I can pass on anything that I know to anyone interested....

keep modeling men!!
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 879 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 05:53 PM UTC
Hi All

I have to say it is great to see younger people on these sites. It would have been much easier when I was younger to have a website like this to help me along.

Please show your work here often and name your age as it as it can be a important detail. Most of my skills have come with time and a lot of reading.

Enjoy your model making time
Ryally
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
entire network: 1,380 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 09:49 PM UTC
Hi all,

Regarding the teacher question, I know a saying : people who know how to do does, the others teach..
I started modelling around 8, because I love military things and my mother, being an artist, had a studio. She maked some room for my models and give me some paints..
I'm modelling since 20 years now (wow I fell old suddenly ). One thing I know it's there were so few modelling magasines when I started, most of them were not available where I lived, so I had to experienced and learnt for my mistakes.
Internet and website like armorama allow you to make huge jumps in your techniques and skills, and give you the taste and the motive to model more.
So young fellow, keep on modelling ! It's a lot of fun, and don't be afraid to assume your hobby in front of the other guys : once you are balanced, friendly and that you enjoy life, that the only important thing. Who cares what the other think !
Best,
Julien
james_mcdougall_85
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 169 Posts
KitMaker Network: 72 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:36 PM UTC
I'm 21 now, been modelling for past 10 years.

Looking forward to having more money to spend on the hobby when I get a job. Been a student for the past 4 years so moneys been spent on other things

Jamie
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:37 PM UTC
Well, I'm not under 18 anymore, I'm 22, but I have the impression that I am still one of the youngest around here.

I began around 8 with the Revell 1/32 Bf 109, with a lot of help from my father (who never modelled anything, but he was wise ) Then, 1/32 P-51mustang, 1/48 B-17 on my own aound 10....You figured it out, I like a lot WW2 planes. I stopped around 12 with an F4 Phantom. I was discouraged by the big gaps in my models, probably because I was only modelling the available Revell stuff ( i did'nt knew putty at time).

Then I went back in the hobby around 18 when I discovered Tamyia. Wow, these kits are so sharp, I thought !! So I fell in love. And because Tamyia had a big interesting armor line my interest switched to AFV, hence the nice dio possibilities.

The armor stuff I build in the beginning is'nt good enough IMO to post here, but with the big leap forward I made with Armorama now I build fairly good model. The problem now is that I'm tight in time and money (school...)Bbut one day you'll see my done models for sure.

Phil

Phantom2
Visit this Community
Östergötland, Sweden
entire network: 708 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:55 AM UTC
Hi All!

Well, I´m not under 18 any longer, It was a while ago now!

But my wife tells me that I´m only 12 on the inside, and that´s what REALLY counts!

I build models, have a model railway, I´m building with LEGO and I´m an addicted PC-gamer.
Young enough to be able to do all the fun stuff, but old enough ("real" age 48) to don´t give a '''''' of what other people thinks!

It´s really good to see so many "youngsters" here, It´s a wonderful and addicting hobby!

Happy building!

Cheers! (Ít´s milk of course :-) :-) :-) )

Stefan E
 _GOTOTOP