_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Just saying Hi
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:13 AM UTC
I just wanted to say hello before I jumped in and started posting around. I've never stopped in before because I (wrongly) assumed it was all treadheads over here. Oh well, I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again I'm sure.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:14 AM UTC
Welcome aboard TwistedF.....

you found your way to the best modeling site of the universe......

To infinity and ....beyond...
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama. This is THE BEST modeling site on the web!
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:39 AM UTC
Welcome aboard! I have found this board to be a good mix of all subjects.

basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:41 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Tim! Always nice to see new guys around!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:50 AM UTC
Hi,
Glad to have you. I think you'll find a little bit of everything here. If not, you may convert some of us

Ask away -- you'll find answers.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 07:16 AM UTC
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the greatest family on the net #:-)

Tell us something about yourself, what do you like to model????
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 07:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tell us something about yourself, what do you like to model????

I'm one of those most dispicable of modelers. The car modeler. You've seen us around,with our flawless paintjobs and shiny bits of chrome here and there. We're most often heard muttering in amazement "why would you take a nice shiny model and make it look so.. so.... dirty" LOL

Actually only about 60% of my building is cars and motorcycles, and the rest is spent building aircraft (modern military jets, some WWII), Sci-Fi (okay, just Star Wars), and ships. Current projects are the new Tamiya Enzo Ferrari, a 1/48 F-16C in VA ANG "Cripes A'Mighty" paint scheme, and a 1/72 Isreali AH-64A. I'm also putting the finishing touches on my 1/700 SSGN Kursk.

I know most of those are military in nature, but this is an unusual time. I just finished a Celica, Integra, and CheZoom so they, naturally, came off the workbench so the Enzo could go on. Coming down the line in the future is a '71 Duster, 1940 Ford Delivery Sedan, Toyota MR2, Ferrari F50, Virago (from SW:Shadows of the Empire) and an AT-ST.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm one of those most dispicable of modelers. The car modeler.

Arrrgh, gasp, (faint) - again

Gunnie

(You guys have got to stop doing this to me...)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:32 AM UTC
Hi Tim and welcome
No we don't all model targets, although there are far to many of them around here lol
I have an AMT 1969 Hurst Olds that I started along time ago but never finished, mainly because I wanted to do it in anything but the white of the kit. Any ideas? :-)
Mal
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:39 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Tim!!

I will write this as small as possible so no one can hold me to it later on (practising my politician mode)

I'm also a car fan...and I do not mean to say I am the cooling fan of an automobile's engine...
The reason I don't do cars more is the same reason for everything else, I don't know how to finish a model!!! I enjoy CART racing, not too many subjects.... I also like the suped-up cars of the 60's and 70's...

Welcome, welcome and welcome again!! I hope you bring other car modellers with you!!
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 380 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 08:46 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Tim

We won't hold being a car modeler against you (we all have to start somewhere....LOL).
A little while here and you'll being weathering your cars with all kinds of dirt and grime....and then who knows....battle damage maybe.

Good to have you on board!
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 277 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:41 AM UTC
Welcome Tim , I'm sure you'll just love it here.

Roger
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We won't hold being a car modeler against you (we all have to start somewhere....LOL).

Amazingly enough I actually started with aircraft.
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have an AMT 1969 Hurst Olds that I started along time ago but never finished, mainly because I wanted to do it in anything but the white of the kit. Any ideas? :-)

I would do it in a muted gold, maybe a 1:1 mix of Tamiya's Gold Leaf and Titanium Gold. Then put some broad black 'go-fast' stripes across the hood to the trunk. Then pick up a set of MPC's Keystone wheels with Micky Thompson Indy tires. Give the rear a good lift to set the car at a nice aggressive rake and let your other models know who is the king of the road.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
Welcome Tim.

I won an open contest once with an M48, dressed out in about a ton of realistic Vietnam mud. All of the car guys voted for me but I was impressed with their work. My theory is it is an awful lot easier to make a tank look like sh@t than it is to make a car look showroom new. I don't have to sand between 15 clear coats. I can cover my mistakes and call them battle damage. I think that you will find that almost everyone on this site appreciates the jobs that the other modelers do in their own niche. I think I am good at scratch building buildings for dioramas, and a decent figure and armor modeler. I don’t think I am an expert at anything, except taking advice and trying to make my next diorama better than the last one. That is what this site is about. Ask away. Someone will always try to help. And, remember, there is no such thing as a “despicable” modeler.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 12:28 PM UTC
Don't worry, Tim we will send out the Armor Missionaries as soon as possible, Welcome aboard.

Rob
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 04:06 PM UTC
Welcome Tim, Nice to have you with us. Congratulations on finding the best modelling site in the universe. And also a HUGE Oinkty congratulations on finding us as well!!!!
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My theory is it is an awful lot easier to make a tank look like sh@t than it is to make a car look showroom new. I don't have to sand between 15 clear coats. I can cover my mistakes and call them battle damage.

I'm going to have to disagree. I have an M41 Walker Bulldog I've been working on off and on for about 6 months. I'm nowhere near being done. I can't figure out how to paint it and get it together and still have it look like a tank, much less look like a battle used tank. I give mad props to you armor guys. My car buddies have it easy in my opinion. 1) Paint body and undercarriage, set aside. 2) build engine, set aside. 3) build interior, set aside. 4) Put all the sub-assemblies together, put on display.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 06:23 PM UTC
Tim,
Lol...well one key aspect on most tanks. They should not come out looking shiny.

8 posts and you are already a piglet? Damn fast conversion rate. Perhaps i need to get Chris, Dave(!), and Stug out on other sites trying to recruit. hehe

Welcome aboard! (officially)

Cheers,
Jim
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 07:58 PM UTC
You just finished a "Celica" and and "Integra"????

O yeah - the Integra is that new IDF AFV with the multi-channel tread and the high velocity titanium round ammo.... right? What army uses the Celica? Japan?
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 11:43 PM UTC
First hi TIM!!! and a double welcome!!!!! hehehehe Second, Jim i would love to recruit for ARMORAMA !!!!!! Where should I start???? Just so you know I found this site by hitting a link on AMTECH's site doing research on a kit I wanted to build!!!! hehehehehe You have others recruiting as well!!! stug
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 04:30 AM UTC
Welcome to the site and the Sty Tim As Pig Militia Commander (PMC) I welcome you and your air support against the Fluvian threat
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 354 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:28 AM UTC
Welcome aboard, Tim! You have undoubtedly found the BEST modelling site on the 'net... Also, welcome to the Sty as well! Now, as far as those shiny, chrome laden auto kits you prefer, report to the either myself or Rattler ASAP for your brainwash..., indoctrina.., er, education sessions (yeah, that's it) on the joys of military muck... #:-)
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, as far as those shiny, chrome laden auto kits you prefer, report to the either myself or Rattler ASAP for your brainwash..., indoctrina.., er, education sessions (yeah, that's it) on the joys of military muck... #:-)

hmmmm, I was thinking I could build up an M1A1 and paint it a shiny lime green with black flames. I can send off the road wheels and have them chromed as well as strap a big old spoiler on the back. Then I can scratch me some big subwoofers for the interior. #:-)

Now that half of the readership has had a major fit of apoplexy, let me go for the other half.

Don't think I won't do it. I have a hot pink pearl F-18 with racing stripes sitting on a shelf over here.
 _GOTOTOP