User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
PLEASE READ: New email confirmation step
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:01 PM UTC
I'll try using another email account and see if that works.
Nige
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 340 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:07 PM UTC
Jim, this just a for your info. I went throught the confirm process Sunday night just fine. Everything was fine until this morning (Wednesday), when I had to go through the process again. Just wondering why this is to have to do this twice now in 3 days.

thanks,

Sean
lampie
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:08 PM UTC
Yep,,that did the trick.
It must be a Hotmail thing I guess Jim.
Nige
Lucky13
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,707 Posts
KitMaker Network: 530 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:12 PM UTC
All done and dusted Jim.....
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim, this just a for your info. I went throught the confirm process Sunday night just fine. Everything was fine until this morning (Wednesday), when I had to go through the process again. Just wondering why this is to have to do this twice now in 3 days.

thanks,

Sean

Sean,
If you did it right after I posted the message, I noted right away that there was a glitch and fixed it. I thought I checked for anyone that might have attempted it in that time but obviously I must have missed you. I don't think you'll have to do it a third time.

Jim
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

I ran into this the other day before finding this thread. After reconfirming, I was unable to access my gallery for quite some time. I tried the NEXT STEP: Confirm Your Email as per the letter.

Now it seems everything is A-OK.

Regards,

FRed
slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 340 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 07:26 AM UTC
So far so good.......

sean
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 10:00 AM UTC
Hi Jim... "Shiny" is just something I've managed to work into my vocabulary just because I'm such Firefly fan. It's not a Canadian thing, it's a Firefly thing......."now let's be bad guys!"

Shiny Bob
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 1,923 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 02:25 PM UTC
I tired 3 times in last 24 hours and I still haven't received e-mail.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 09:10 PM UTC
Doh... okay I will try to explain this again. This is not directed at you Marcin (although obviously the info you need is in this email). It is aimed "tongue-in-cheek" at all of you who somehow don't quite get what is going on when you "don't get your email".

1. When you submit the request for confirmation an email is sent to your current email.

2. No really... an email is sent. 99.98% of the time (the .02% would be for sudden server outages, etc.)

3. No seriously the email is sent and yours was not the .02%. :-)

4. If you don't get the email you can try again. And again. And again... ad infinitum. This only proves that your ISP is actually *doing something* with all those emails. Rejecting them most likely or blackholing them into the trash. Or as I said they are putting them into some spam folder for your consideration. Some systems even have a seperate login to access your spam mail. The *best* thing you can do is to email your ISP and ask them why you aren't getting your email. No seriously.

5. If all else fails you will need to input an actual working email (cause I think the one you have that is blocking email that you actually want to get is kind of like...errr... useless). :-)

6. Create a G-Mail account. If anyone needs an invite post your need here. I am sure either myself or another gmail user can get you one. I have about 98 invitations left I think.

Here is an example (actual email modified) of the kind of responses I get back from ISP server that think they are oh-so-smart.

Quoted Text

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO::
host mailin.webmailer.de [192.67.198.48]: 550 4.1.8 ... Relaying denied.

Sadly for t-onine.de I do a SMTP send authorization (meaning when I send mail to the server to relay I send the login user/password with the request so that only authorized requests get thru. 90-95% of our email gets thru to users. But 5% or so of these super-smart system admins basically don't care whether or not you get your email from us. In fact they probably prefer you don't get that much because that is often 100s of thousands if not millions of emails going thru their system that they don't have to save or deliver. Just shoo them away at the front door and say it's all in the name of combating spam. You know... that spam that we get anyways. :-)

Cheers,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 09:19 PM UTC
Lol...of course I just realized in the example I just quoted above....doh!... the user (probably a new signup) did not input his correct email address. Most likely he meant to put @t-onLine.de and not @t-onine.de.

But I do get good emails with the same no-relaying message, or other good ones like "not allowed", or "mailbox unavailable", or "mailbox full", etc.

Cheers,
Jim

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 04:51 AM UTC
Marcin,
Here is the email your ISP admin sent:

Quoted Text

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:
host mx.wp.pl [212.77.101.4]: 550 [IP:69.31.1.213] polaczenia z Twojego adresu IP sa zablokowane administracyjnie / mail from your IP address is administratively disabled

WARLORD
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Marcin,
Here is the email your ISP admin sent:

Quote:

[email protected]
SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:
host mx.wp.pl [212.77.101.4]: 550 [IP:69.31.1.213] polaczenia z Twojego adresu IP sa zablokowane administracyjnie / mail from your IP address is administratively disabled

This is really strange beacuse both Armorama.com and Kitmaker.com domains are on my "white list" so they even shouldn't be treated as spam not mention being rejected.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 07:51 PM UTC
Well it depends on what kind of whitelist you are using. If it's software based (like outlook or a mail client) or server based. However even if you have server based whitelisting of our domains, the "kitmaker.net" email is actually being sent via fusemail.net because we were having trouble with email sent from GoDaddy servers. So essentially your ISP is saying "we have had trouble with FuseMail servers/IPs). This is somewhat the conundrum with sending mail. Unless you own your own IP addresses and send mail from your own servers via those IPs, there is no sure way to not get added to some over-protective server admin blacklist.

I go back to my original point. They are just saying "screw your real email, we would rather not bother with it.".

:)

Cheers,
Jim
WARLORD
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 01:58 PM UTC
I changed my e-mail address to my company's one and I got confimation in few minutes.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 07:53 PM UTC
Cool!

Glad we figured it out.

Cheers,
Jim
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 10:44 PM UTC
Jim:
I did what you said, and I did get an e-mail, clicked on the link, and I think I confirmed. But the red box message is still on my account page. Is that right or.....?

Art
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 04:50 AM UTC
No if the email confirmation works you will get a "sucess" message and the box will go away and be replaced with your old edit account page.

Make sure the full link is coming thru when you click or copy and paste the provided link into a browser window and try again.

Thanks,
Jim
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 10:31 AM UTC
Just tried to do this, but I fell at the first hurdle... Never mind not receiving a return email, my initial email did not go out. I hit the 'confirm e-mail' button, and the following message came up on the screen

arning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to SMTP.FUSEMAIL.NET:2500 in /home/mgadmin/public_html/includes/classes/class.smtp.php on line 105
Message was not sent!

Mailer Error: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.

I say we bring back type writers.

Cheers
Henk
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 01:14 PM UTC
I think that just means the script could not connect to the mail server. It may have been down for a moment.

Try try again.

Jim
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 05:43 PM UTC
Righto, the email worked, I received my confirmation e-mail straight away, but as my ISP seems to have a hissy fit at the moment (can't open anyting through AOL home page) the click link does not work. I'll try again later.

Cheers
Henk
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 08:00 PM UTC
[With tongue planted firmly in cheek]

Henk,
Pardon me lumping you in with your British neighbors, but what on Earth were you guys thinking using AOL for Internet Access anyways? AOL... America Online. I would have thought this was a dead giveaway. LOL

Now if the company had called itself BOL....

Cheers,
Jim
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC
Hi Jim

All worked fine here.

Cheers

Rowan
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[With tongue planted firmly in cheek]

Henk,
Pardon me lumping you in with your British neighbors, but what on Earth were you guys thinking using AOL for Internet Access anyways? AOL... America Online. I would have thought this was a dead giveaway. LOL

Now if the company had called itself BOL....

(answer in indignant voice)

well, AOL were the only people kind enough to drop a disc through my letterbox to make signing up easy. I like that kind of service. They also told me they were cheapest, and had the most reliable conection. So I signed up out of curiosity. ( what's all this dindernet about then... nahh, it 'll never catch on..)

Seriously though, my knowledge of internet and ISP's was virtualy nil, and when we finaly decided to 'get on-line' two years ago (yes, some people have not been in this beautifull community for long.. ) AOL seemed an o.k. choice. And all joking aside, they provide me with what I need, (true) unlimited access, and apart from the occasional hick up, have been reliable. I use both Aol and IE for daily access, and are usualy 'connected' almost 24 hours a day, especialy now that we have a wireless router and my stepson is also on the net. The price deal I have can probably be beaten, but is low enough for me to be happy with (for now)

And yes, the link worked, and I have been confirmed to be acepted as a Kitmaker member... phew, a least one thing going well tonight..
Would you like me to elaborate on my first two nights working for the new company who took over the contract that I worked on? Think fubar x 10,

Cheers
Henk :-) :-)

p.s. have a safe journey, see you in Telford, and enjoy the real ale...
Henk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 09:29 AM UTC
And BTW, if it would have been called BOL, it would have been closed on tuesday, not worked on friday, had numerous errors and outs which would have been 'part of the package', the helpdesk staff would be chewing gum whilst talking to you, or be based in Mumbay, and your screen would freeze at least twice a day for no apperant reason..

Austin Allegro anyone?

>running for cover<
Henk