_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Have you ever had a model making accident ??
Jeffamentrul
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 48 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 05:33 PM UTC
Hi all,

I managed to stick these......

Through my left index finger, causing this......

On my birthday, but not just any old birthday........no the BIG 30 !!. Oh yes indeed I got a little carried away opening a box of modelling supplies and slipped causing utter mayhem. I ended up passed out on the kitchen floor with blood EVERYWHERE and I mean everywhere...

So I ended up in casualty on my thirtyeth birthday getting my finger put back together !!!. I did manage to get a month of work which was cool .

Anyone else had a bit of a mishap with any modelling tools ??

Cheers

Kev
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,487 Posts
KitMaker Network: 464 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 05:51 PM UTC
Various scalpel inflicted injuries - those babie's are so sharp you only notice you've been cut when you spot the blood, unless you drop one into your thigh - that hurts a lot!!!

Andy
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 05:58 PM UTC
Back in 82, I was cutting a piece of sprue to make a pintle for a door mounted MG on a helo when it slipped and went through my left middle finger and into my right thigh. Took 10 stitches to close up the finger.
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
entire network: 6,760 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,139 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 06:27 PM UTC
Never had any major accidents. For many years I've held the plastic bits and pieces the same way, when cleaning them, with a scalpel. One evening I got this idea, that the way I held the item, was dangerous, if the scalpel slipped I would cut my self. So stupid me, held the item in question, in a different way and of course the scalpel slipped and I made a deep cut in my thumb. Now I hold the plastic bits like I always have.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 884 Posts
KitMaker Network: 278 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 07:11 PM UTC
Worse I had happen to me was having one of my exacto knives roll off the table and land point down on the top of my bare foot.

That hurt like hell! Fair amount of blood too.

Anyways I learned and now have a piece of sprue taped to the shaft to prevent that.

Hopefully (knock on wood) that will be the worst of it.

Jeff
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 07:34 PM UTC
I once made a decent sherman tank,believe me that was a modelling accident :-) :-) :-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 07:44 PM UTC
Talk about 'scratch built' doh :-)

I've not gone that far thank goodness. I've stabed myself with various sharp objects - knives, als, scribes, splinters.
The oddest injury was burning my finger on a 200watt light bulb - they get hot.
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:04 PM UTC
Spilled a full bottle of Tenax in my lap yesterday No photos available :-)
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:12 PM UTC
Cut with scalpel
Stabbed with scalpel
Nicked with scalpel
Gouged with scalpel

Wait, I think I see a trend here. Please keep all sharp objects away from this man.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 10:28 PM UTC
Eons ago, I was hacking a model train shell to make a little whimsy train{peanut train}...the razor saw got snagged and then cut loose right over the top of my pointer finger...but it gets better!, yelled to my mother, "hey Ma!", trying to still hold the shell and my bleeding finger and she yells back, "you know I hate it when you call me Ma!" and proceeds to ignore me there after...till I stood next to her and bled on her kitchen counter top...she proceeds to run to the bathroom{she's in panic - I'm not for some reason} and grabbed a choice of two towels, red or white...she chooses white{later to find that was a mistake because it wouldn't come clean afterwards}, Flew to the emergency room where the nurse actually asks her if "she"{my mother} needs a shot to calm her down...found out 5 min later{remember when you used to get in THAT fast}, that the doc's phrase, "this will sting alittle" while he shoves a needle in between my fingers{hurt more then the origonal cut!} would be a total lie because it DID sting..thought my toes would never uncurl! Seven stiches later and my 1st hospital/ER visit for a 12 year old{said it was looong ago} was complete! Umpteen million cuts/pokes/jabs/slices/scrapes later, I still live to tell the tale....and I still call her "Ma".
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I once made a decent sherman tank,believe me that was a modelling accident :-) :-) :-)

:-) :-) :-) :-) Good one Steve

A full bottle of liquid glue..... A pile of magic tracks........The result....

Oh dear....

Dave
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 05:00 AM UTC
Way back when, I needed to remove some plastic from a piece I was scratch building so I jerry-rigged a makeshift lathe and decided to use a razor blade to 'scrape' the material off the edge. With the piece secure and spinning I touched the blade to the edge....material peeled off like a dream! I'm a genius!!
Then I realized if you increase the angle of the cutting edge to the piece more material is removed!! This will take no time at all I thought
Just about the time it crossed my mind that indeed I had a very sharp object in my hand the blade caught on the edge (too acute an angle ) and next thing I knew my index finger had a straight edge razor pairing it in half right at the tip, mid-fingernail. It was such a clean cut I never felt any pain and it seemed like it took minutes to actually bleed
After having patted myself on the back for being so brilliant I felt like a complete fool and I certainly think twice before attempting 'stupid' moves like that one.
Still have a wonderful scar ton my fingertip to remind me

Cheers,
Charles
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 05:54 AM UTC
Nothing more than several cuts and stabs from the X-Acto knife, a few burns from stretching melted sprue and a couple of nice abrasions from the Dremel Tool.

Can you consider the damage to the wallet and credit card from supporting this hobby?

HARV
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 03:46 PM UTC
Ouch Kevin! Abit of epoxy sculp should fill up the gap though. :-)

I get quite paranoid with my tools so thankfully i havent yet gotten any injury that serious yet. Got a 2 year old running around so whenever i leave my desk, i always make it a point to put my knives and other sharp objects back into the tool box.

My big 30 is also coming up so i probably will stay away from those tools closer to the time.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2006 - 07:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nothing more than several cuts and stabs from the X-Acto knife, a few burns from stretching melted sprue and a couple of nice abrasions from the Dremel Tool.

Can you consider the damage to the wallet and credit card from supporting this hobby?

HARV

Randy,

My exact experinces as well And lets not talk about the damage to the wallet and credit cards lol.

Darryl
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 12:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cut with scalpel
Stabbed with scalpel
Nicked with scalpel
Gouged with scalpel

Wait, I think I see a trend here. Please keep all sharp objects away from this man.

Uh....nothing like that has ever happened to me........

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 341 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 12:34 AM UTC
I've suffered the usual gashes and cuts from time to time but never anything that required a trip to the ER. CA makes for a great tissue glue (it's original design purpose ), and I've always got plenty of that handy.

I do suffer from a condition I refer to as Modeller's Thumb. Something about sharp #11 blades being an essential part of the hobby...I present MT Exhibit 1-A.

wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 08:27 AM UTC
I've had my fair share of accidents with my modeling tools. I don't know how many times I've sliced and diced myself with exacto knifes. I've drilled my fingers quite a few times while drilling out small holes while supporting the plastic from behind with my finger. I don't do that anymore. My worst experience was when I got this brain fart that I could use epoxy putty to make a mold of a part and use a kinda thin metallic epoxy to cast the part with. Everything went well until it was time to remove the metallic stuff from the mold. Even with a couple good coats of mold release before pouring, the cast was not coming off for nothing. There was a nice lip around between the mold and the part that after 2 minutes of prying with my pocket knife, it kinda disappeared. So in all my infinite wisdom (which isn't very much) I came up with the bright idea to take my pocket knife in one hand, place the mold on a table and hold it in place with a finger resting on the edge of the mold, and slam the blade into the top of the cast piece to see if that would help break it enough to remove it. Well to make a long storey short, it didn't go as planned. It ended with a trip to the hospital and a week off from work.
ryally
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 879 Posts
KitMaker Network: 69 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 01:14 PM UTC
Hi All

Try this one for fun.
1 Light plastic spur to lenghten
2 Once plastic spur is alight, place over knee
3 Let plastic burning spur drip on knee cap
4 Watch knee burning
5 Run to bathroom to save your life
6 enjoy looking at scar on knee fifthtenn years on

Thanks Ryally
ps Please don't try this at home unless knee hair removal is required for life.
squeakyclean
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 265 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 01:35 PM UTC
Only the other day, my girlfriend decided I spend too much time (Eh?) in the back room 'building toy tanks' and why don't I spend a night watching TV with her? Etc, etc. Okay fine, says I, and so take bits and bobs downstairs into TV room and proceed to sit crossed legged at the coffee table 'killing two birds with one stone' ie 'watching' TV and carving some plastic rod into broken roof beams for the new dio!

Anyhow she has the last laugh as my scalpel slipped, turned 360 in mid air and plunged crotchward like an spear! My heart stopped and luckily so did the scalpel, the brand new blade only slightly grazing my 'doo-dars' but ruining the fly of my new jeans!

I'll stick to the back room from now on...

Cheers
Pave-Hawk
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 900 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 01:59 PM UTC
I have a nice scar right at the first joint of my left index finger. Was taking apart a 1/72 vigilante with the intention of improving it, by running a large hobby knife along the seams (not one of those piddly little #11s) and the blade got stuck.

Naturally applying more force resulted in the blade slipping and jamming itself at right angles into the finger joint. My first response of letting go of the knife resulted in it briefly just hanging there before the weight pulled it out of the wound. No trip to the ER as my mum being a nurse simply whacked some sterile strips on it to hold the wound closed and a large band-aid thing on top of that.

Wound looks kind of like Kevins, but right over the joint.

I once also manage to take a chunk off the tip of my left ring finger, don't ask me how I managed that.
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 942 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 02:15 PM UTC
Nothing too serious. Just a few cuts and nicks with the blade and I once started sanding my thumb off.
Rub, rub, rub the very small part along the emory paper...wait for brain to figure out digits are taking damage.
Ruined a couple of carpets with spilt paint as well.

Tom
Yeti01012001
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 360 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 04:06 PM UTC
same as most of guys, those dawn scalpels, for always cutting my hand on everything I build. I am in safe hands, as my wife is a nurse and can patch me back up. But she still refusees to give me a bed bath after the injuries, DOH!!!!!!!

novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 05:08 PM UTC
I had a really bad feeling about this story when you said "my girlfriend decided". Glad it didnt end up as bad as some of these stories have! Anything involving either an xacto knife,a scalpel, a razor blade and hands/digits just makes me cringe. I've worked on an ambulance before with a guy who had been shot multiple times, and that doesnt bother me a bit, but knives and fingers, just makes my skin crawl.

I sliced my finger open good the other day on a tanker, but I think it upset my four year old more than it did me.
 _GOTOTOP