_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Super Glue going bad??
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 06:50 AM UTC
Help... I am having a terrible time with Supr Glue (AC, whatever you want to call it...). It seems to have gone bad. There are limited suppliers in this small town and I think thier stock is old, like over a year. I remember reading somewhere that it can go bad after a while. Anyone have any input on this one? If acceerate it it works, but will not set for crap.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 07:03 AM UTC
I'm not sure what brand you are using, but it might pay to shop around. I used to buy the "bargain brands" but I really don't think I saved any money because they'd always go bad and I'd end up throwing 3/4 of the tube in the trash. Recently I've been buying Loctite at the hardware store. It's a little more expensive, but I normally use almost the entire container before I even start thinking about throwing it away.

You also might want to make sure you clean the tip before putting the cab back on and then make sure the cap is on tight. I only open my CA to put a bit on a film canister cap, then immediately cap the CA. I apply the CA from the small pool in the film can cap.

Also, IIRC, CA glue reacts with moisture. If the air is very dry (like it is indoors in the winter), it may take longer to set and cure.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 07:29 AM UTC
Super glue WILL go bad. If is it "thicker" than when you started, almost a Gel It's bad.
I've found storing it in the Fridge will help it last longer.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 07:36 AM UTC
I store mine inan airtight container in the fridge when I am not using it. This way it will last for years.

Cliff
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
Regular CA/Super glue will definately go bad.
I've been using Zap for almost a year and it seems to be fine. The nozzle get clogged and I have to clean it out, but the glue still holds.
I guess from this an other posts it seems that glue is an investment too.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've found storing it in the Fridge will help it last longer.

I have heard this, too, but never tried it. I have a hard enough time keeing it away from my kids as it is -- considering that they are always in the fridge ... let's just say that old CA would be the least of my worries.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:22 AM UTC
Hmmm... I don't know for sure that is causing this, but will try a few of these ideas. Thanks... I have a frig in my workshop, so I can keep it there and see if it helps.

Thanks.
moville
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 54 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a frig in my workshop

Now that's a good idea!!

Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:22 PM UTC
Superglue goes bad because it absorbs the humiditiy that is in the air.. it last longer if placed in a fridge because that is a low humidity area.

i've heard getting some of those packets like those that come in things like boxes of shoes.. that are full of crystals to absorb moistore help here..

A couple of people I know get these and keep them in a sealed jar with their superglue/ca glue. seing as how the packets absorb moistore it doesn't get into the glue to ruin it.

I know there is a name for the crystals but I cannot remember what it is.

Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:30 PM UTC
They are called "Dry Guard" - silica gel packs. And they are a great idea to store in the same tupperware container with the superglue in the fridge. I have the same bottle for well over ten years now.
When you are going to use the chilled s.g., allow it to warm to room temp in the tupperware before using it. This will keep the bottle from condensating which will adversely affect the s.g..
If the s.g. bottle is not air tight, over time it will thicken, almost gel like. Dispose of this and get yourself a new one.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:50 PM UTC
OK, I think I know what is happening now..

I live in a temperate rain forest... the Tongass National Forest. We get about 130 inches of rain a year... and the humidity is mostly over 90%.... It sounds like the humidity is killing it... Hmmm... will have to work on this. Thanks for all of your ideas. I will see if my buddy at the computer store can keep all those little silica pouch thingies for me...

May just work.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 11:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They are called "Dry Guard" - silica gel packs. And they are a great idea to store in the same tupperware container with the superglue in the fridge. I have the same bottle for well over ten years now.
When you are going to use the chilled s.g., allow it to warm to room temp in the tupperware before using it. This will keep the bottle from condensating which will adversely affect the s.g..
If the s.g. bottle is not air tight, over time it will thicken, almost gel like. Dispose of this and get yourself a new one.

10 Years Goosh darn it Ken I have to throw my bottles away every 2 or 3 months seems the stuff gets weak.
2-2dragoon I have the same problem crap gets soft but on Zap it says not to use an accelerator.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:05 AM UTC
wel another thing is humidity effects the setting properties, I live in japan and find in the summer when humidity is close to 90% ca will take awhile to set. no in the wintertime i better have the stuff lined up first cause i'll never get a econd chance to get it right. so try running a dehumidifier and storing the glue in dry place like a frig or tuperware. good luck stug
Rico
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 05:33 AM UTC
Does it still stick when it's thick as a gel? I've been using an old bottle of CA that's like that - it's handy for certain situations. It seems to set okay if you give it enough time. Are my parts going to fall off later, or should I keep doing this?
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2003 - 05:39 AM UTC
I have used the stuff untill is too "Stringy" to use anymore and have had no major problems.
I do (almost always) use a Accelerator w/ CA glue.
 _GOTOTOP