Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Do you model your branch/job?
seuss95b
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 03:30 PM UTC
Yes I do!! Was a Military Police soldier in the Army, And have recreated several of my Humvees from Germany, Iraq and Bosnia.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I would if they would let me but I am in the process of building a 1/35 105mm howitzer from my days in the US Army. Now a days I don't think you can find a 105mm howiter since the Army seems to have gone to other types of field artillery.

Yes, we still use 105mm towed howitzers in the light/airborne divisions.
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 436 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 02:14 PM UTC
I was 17 years in the RNZAC (Royal New Zealand Armoured Corps) and I model about 50% NZ armour, modern & WW2 (not that there is a lot of it)

cheers
David
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 22, 2006 - 04:40 PM UTC
I would love to, but since I served as a signaller, the kit selection of modern signal equipment is pretty slim, and Finnish? Forget it. You either srcatch-build or then you don't.
And I don't have the skills (at least yet), so I'll have to wait. With the older equipment, it would be a little easier. Take a suitable Russian truck and scratch the boxy freight container-looking signal station for the truck to tow.
Also, a signal station towed by an NA-110 would be a wicked project, but looks quite daunting to pull off.

Pic here

The XA-202YVI vehicles that we used could be modified from the basic XA-185 troop carrier, if some manufacturer made a kit of it. The basic vehicle is something that an adventurous limited-run company could do, but a signal vehicle, not that likely.

Pic here

But then, who would model that undeployed? And with the antenna extended and secured by 16 cables, it would take vast amounts of storage space. The antenna alone is 24 meters tall when fully extended, 68 cm in 1:35 (and little more merciful 33,3 cm in 1:72), and with the cables in place, you would have to make a large diorama and put it all in a clear case to protect the installation.
Trumpeter, are you listening? A range of modern Finnish subject is direly needed.
:-)
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 09:37 AM UTC
Spent 27 years in six in the Marines, twenty-one in the army. I sclupt figures, I'll uasally give a rank I helded, with the exception of 2lt. Mothing to interesting about that rank, or everything I remember about I was doing something realy dumb.
Treadhead12
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 07:43 AM UTC
Like TankSgt, I modeled tanks and went into the Army as a 2LT in armored cavarly.

I have modeled M60A1, M113A1 and M106A1 like the equipment in a cavarly platoon of 1979.

I continue today with the armor that replaced those vehicles. Also British and West German armor, Warsaw Pact armor and 1973 Arab-Israeli war. Also WWII armor - German, Soviet, U.S. and British. Still have a lot of kits to do. Good time!
AVRE165
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 181 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 08:39 AM UTC
hi
Well some of us still do work for the military as a civilian and with that in mind CAN NOT build what he sees or what is in service unless it is already in a plastic kit Form OTB.
That is why I build things that are not related i.e. 30yrs ago or WW2.
Ossie
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 03:59 AM UTC
I was in the Navy, but do mostly armor now. I am going to build the ship I was on for an up coming campaign.

I could add some deck crew refueling our helo and since I did that I could be in it.

ScottS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 81 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 04:54 AM UTC
I was a naval Aviation Electrician (AE) but I mainly model WW2 armor and figures, with an occasional WW2 aircraft. No modern jets, F-14/18’s, which I worked on while I was in the navy.
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 370 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 06:26 AM UTC
I would, if I could find a model of my old ship, The USS Wainwright.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
But for some reason, DML and all the others dont make an affordable model of my ship. the only one I found was a resin job for something like $300.00 Inasmuch as I liked my ship, I didnt like it THAT much!
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 510 Posts
KitMaker Network: 40 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 01, 2007 - 04:27 PM UTC
I build all around. I am starting a new trend for myself now though. I am going to build as many USMC used vehicles as possible. Might be tricky; and I know it will be costly!

I initially started modeling by building my grandfather's F6F from WW2. I then tried to find a Casablanca class aircraft carrier similar to his, the USS Hoggatt bay, but came up with nill. Since then I have mostly modeled USMC and German WW2 type vehicles.

-Mike
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 141 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 06:00 PM UTC
I was a US Marine from 89 - 95 with a trip to ODS and a tour of the Med in 92. My MOS was 0352 (TOW Gunner) and I drove/rode in a M1045 Humvee, drove a M151 "Fast Attack Vehicle" with TOW launcher, rode in a LAV-25, climbed on an M60, and flew in a CH-46 Sea Knight (with those FAV's). My preference is to build the vehicles that I rode in, drove, or came into contact with during my service.

I have already built the M151 using Tamiya's 1/35 kit. There is a picture of it in My Gallery. As you can see I am no expert.

I am currently building Revell's 1/72 M60A1 with ERA. It will be put on a wooden base with some terrain and a brass plaque. I'll post some pics when it is finished.

I have Tamiya's 1/35 M1045 with a lot of aftermarket stuff. I am waiting for my skill level to improve before starting that one. I am going to model it after the one I drove in ODS. It's going to have a lot of love and care put into it.
CMOT70
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 629 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 - 09:01 PM UTC
I have a "no work comes home" policy that i stick to.

So despite being in the RAAF for 12 years and generally enjoying it all, i have no modelling interest for any of the aircraft i worked on then- and even less interest for the ones i've worked on in the following 8 years of civilian life!

Andrew