Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Do you model your branch/job?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 11:39 AM UTC
I was curious if you other Service Members/Veterans model your branch/job?

Eg: if you are in the Army do you model Army vehicles or vehicles used in your job specialty? If you are a Sailor do you mainly model ships?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 02:35 PM UTC
I have done my tank and a dio of me in a jeep during a reforger exercise
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 05:49 PM UTC
I
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 08:51 PM UTC
I was in the US Navy, and do mostly soft-skins.... so I guess not, although I do dabble in a ship kit every now and then.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 10:50 PM UTC
Like Steve and Robin, I was in the Army. Much of what I have done are representations of vehicles that either I've "owned" or been around. I have the M-577 track representing the FDC I was in charge of in Germany in 1974, a howitzer from the Army National Guard unit I was in during 1977, the HMMWV I had as Battalion XO in 1992 and the HMMWV I had as a Battalion Commander in 1999.

Lately I've gotten back into doing ships and completed one of the Los Angeles Class fast attack subs that my son served on.

Having been around or having a connection isn't the only thing that leads me into a project, but it certainly helps me get some of the details right.

Tom
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 12:26 AM UTC
Yes I do . The mainstay of most of my builds are directly related to my job or career field when I was in the service. I am also planning to build models of the equipment that we used while I was a civilian civil servant also. This will be helicopter's as well as soft skin vehicles.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC
I was in the Air Force, and I used to model the F-15 and F-4 heavily when stationed on Okinawa. Standing guard over them on the flightline, you get to know them well. Modeler's intrepretations don't look much like these aircraft in reality though...

I love to model US Army vehicles more than anything else - should have been a Soldier back in the 1950's...

Gunnie
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 03:03 AM UTC
Myself being in the Army NG as an 11B, and a Air Assault unit in which we flew in and out most times. And if we didn't fly we walked and walked...sometimes rode in the back of a Deuce. I've built many Hueys, dio's, jeeps and a truck or two based on what I've done. There's really not much to go by as a foot solider.

Most of my model building is inspired by what others build or what I see on the net. I’m more of an aircraft builder, mostly helicopters and modern jets.

As soon as I get my hands on the Trumpeter CH47D, I will be building it into one of the Chinooks we used in Alaska during “Brim Frost 85”.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 03:30 AM UTC
Like, Steve, Robin, Tom, And Joe, I was in the Army. I was in the Military Police so the subject matter is limited to Jeeps, Humvees, Motorcycles (WWII) and the V100. But to answer your question, yes. I have.

But I like to build almost everything.

Steve
95Bravo All The Way
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 - 08:09 PM UTC
I like to model vehicles directly related to my trade (army mechanic) such as M113 ARVL, fitter, M578, and would love to get a Leopard ARV. Vehicles related to my unit, such as my boss's Iltis and one of our MLVWs (M35 deuce) and units within my brigade as well. Looking at my stash, it is roughly 50% Canadian military content including aircraft... I would have to say yes, I do model my branch/ job!
Kruger
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 09:36 AM UTC
Well, I'm in the US Army, Airborne Infantry, and I model German AFV's and German figures, so, not so much.
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:30 AM UTC
As for me I have never modeled anything I've been involved with. I have taken pictures of various vehicles to model them eventually. Being such a history buff I've never got around to it, concentrating on WWII German armor. Wierd huh?
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
entire network: 1,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 188 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 09:11 AM UTC
Not at all. I´m Navy and I model.....Army

1/35 tanks, APCs, softskins, etc.....

modelling planes, ship...... YIKES :-) :-)

Funny, isn´t it? :-)

Cheers
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 666 Posts
KitMaker Network: 66 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC
I was in the Army and I modeled the vehicles that I crewed. A M60A1 Rise passive, an M60A3TTS, and an M1A1. But my favorite armor to model is WW2 German Armor.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 01:07 AM UTC
USMC here. My time in service was 'Nam and later, but I model WWII subjects pretty much exclusively, so I guess there is a "no" here as well. I do try my hand at anything that captures my interest, though. I've done armor, aircraft and naval subjects. I like to do vignettes which include armor, even though I was Infantry myself.

Mike

Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 01:53 AM UTC
I served in the British Army and build only British stuff, from the first ever tank (Little Willie, a project for the future) to FV432s', Ferrets, the modern Challengers, Warriors and AS90. Not an easy subject as a lot of it is hard to find.

Fun stuff though.

If only I could make all the pictures into plastic!
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 12:34 AM UTC
I guess I could find a bunch of BDU only figures sitting down and put them in a classroom to model the ROTC cadets being bored with Powerpoint presentations.

Jeff
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:23 AM UTC
Nope! I cannot paint DPM therefore I have never built a modern subject however I wish I could just to show people how big a GPMG is to lug around when you're only 5 foot 9! Was never my idea of fun. So glad when I got promoted so I didn't have to carry it around! :-)
Demsul
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 29 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 06:18 PM UTC
I'm in the Air Force and I like tanks. Go figure....
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,139 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 09:08 AM UTC
I enlisted to work on what I modeled. I built tanks as a kid and wanted to be a tanker. So I drove tanks and built models of them at the same time. I'm a fan of all armor and cover most time frames. i also intend to build all of my tanks. I dabble in planes and ships as well.
39 years of modeling and 27 years in tanks.

Tom

ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 07:28 AM UTC
I've just completed 28 years as a navy Medic and have done one boat, and one sub... so no, I don't model my branch. I do model just about everything else, and I'm looking around for a civilian passenger liner so that I can model a hospital ship.
targetdriver
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 40 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 10:52 PM UTC
I've been in the Army for almost 12 years and have used my experiences and jobs as a modeling focus. From a small infantry squad on patrol to a dio with a Battery of MLRS launchers with support equipment. Retirement gifts seem to be a personel favorite for those that I know enjoy that extra little attention to detail that comes with serving on that particular piece of equipment.

I am an Air Defense Artillery Officer and enjoy building anything that is related to Air Defense (past, present, and future). Next on my to do list is one of the Missile Defense Interceptors and a separte kill vehicle.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 03:07 AM UTC
I've done figures that have repersented ranks, military jobs and branches, Ive held during 27 years of service. Things like an ACW artillery Captain, Vietnam era Marine private radio operator, various corparals, seargents ect. The only rank I've held thats not been use was 2nd Lt..,
medic45
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 05:09 AM UTC
Well I would if they would let me but I am in the process of building a 1/35 105mm howitzer from my days in the US Army. Now a days I don't think you can find a 105mm howiter since the Army seems to have gone to other types of field artillery.