TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Da Vinci Code -
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC
I'm planning on seeing it this weekend. I read the book. I have listened to the bruhaha.

Folks its fiction with some historical bits blended in. It was never intended to be a historical, heavily annotated scholarly piece.

Lighten -up
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 11:39 AM UTC
And even as fiction it's nothing much. Falls flat at the end. 'Angels & Demons' was better, but Brown seems unable to hold on til the finish. Heard a French reporter say after the special media screening at Cannes that several fellow jornalists fell asleep halfway through. Jetlag?

Salman Rushdie was quoted as saying the book was "so bad, it makes bad books look good"!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2006 - 07:46 PM UTC
Might be better for me since I have not read the book or really followed the story. It will be fresh for me.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 01:30 AM UTC
After the french gave the palme de whatever to moore for his farce I have lost any and all faith in their objectivity. Their pan makes me want to see Da Vinci Code even more.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
My daughter saw it this afternoon she enjoyed it but she has never read the book.I must agreethe ending in the book was flat, I enjoyed Angels and Demons more.Honestly cant say he is my favourite author.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 01:37 AM UTC
I saw it yesterday afternoon and enjoyed it very much, I havn't read the book or any others by that author. Apparently the critics were ripping it to shreads...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 04:11 AM UTC
I didn't read the book, know nothing of the story or plot, and learned long ago to ignore the "limp-wristed" movie reviewer crowd that seems to have it's own agenda. I plan to see it sometime this week. They can go watch reruns of "Broke-his-back Mounting -him"
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't read the book, know nothing of the story or plot, and learned long ago to ignore the "limp-wristed" movie reviewer crowd that seems to have it's own agenda. I plan to see it sometime this week. They can go watch reruns of "Broke-his-back Mounting -him"

Good one, Blast. I saw the movie, I like the book more, the movie is not bad.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 05:20 PM UTC
I assume you mean Mary, the mother of Jesus. She's not considered divine, however.
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 08:31 PM UTC
It's funny, coz what made the book such a hit wasn't the writing or the plot (both of which are rubbish), but the fact that most people haven't heard of the Magdalene theory. It's one that's been done so many times before, from the book 'Anno Domini' to the movie 'The Last Temptation of Christ'. So for most people it's this amazing new conspiracy theory.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 - 03:14 PM UTC
Watched it on the weekend and enjoyed the movie.

I'm a Christian by religion but watched it with an open mind and loved it. Really think Tom Hanks is an excellent choice.

Would recommend the movie to all who havent seen it. The whole story is based on interpretation so you will expect see facts mixed with fiction.

Now to countdown the days for X-Men 3.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2006 - 09:26 PM UTC
The one thing I've learned about both the book and the movie is there is very little middle ground. Most people either hate them with a passion, or love them. As to the issue of it being fact or fiction I was firmly in the camp of just calling it fiction, until I recently read that Brown himself says it is fiction based on fact. I have read the book that many people say Brown got his ideas from, Holy Blood Holy Grail, and that book is very hard to believe. The authors of that book go out of their way to make very big claims, and then say that they are just speculating, they can't prove anything.

I'll see the movie, or not, based on what I want to do, not on what others tell me. I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD, which based on how long movies last now days will probably be sometime this fall, and rent it some night when SWMBO isn't home. I KNOW my wife won't be wanting to see it.

spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As to the issue of it being fact or fiction I was firmly in the camp of just calling it fiction, until I recently read that Brown himself says it is fiction based on fact.

Well, Brown opens the book by giving a list of 'facts', which now turn out to be a bit shaky. Even if you take the whole Magdalene theory as being pure fiction, you'd expect things like the Priory of Sion (one of his 'facts') to be solid. Now it turns out that there's no real proof of the latter existing outside the word of one Frenchman who it looks like now was a bit deranged and trying to justify his strange behaviour.

Having said that, I will definitely watch the movie once it's on DVD. It's a tough book to make a movie out of anyway, given the amount of info you need to explain.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 01:19 AM UTC
I am actually expecting more of a treasure hunter/spy story rather than religious.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am actually expecting more of a treasure hunter/spy story rather than religious.

Thats actually mainly why i enjoyed it. Worthwhile watching if you like detective work type movies.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As to the issue of it being fact or fiction I was firmly in the camp of just calling it fiction, until I recently read that Brown himself says it is fiction based on fact.

Well, Brown opens the book by giving a list of 'facts', which now turn out to be a bit shaky. Even if you take the whole Magdalene theory as being pure fiction, you'd expect things like the Priory of Sion (one of his 'facts') to be solid.

Dale Brown does much the same in his "Old Dog" series of novels with quotes from newspapers and other sources to set the scene. The Shaaras populated their Civil War and Rev War novels with real people, but we don't begrudge them. On TV, the Law and Order franchise is "ripped form the headlines" but we don't expect to get the exact story as it happened. I haven't read the book simply because the genre doesn't grab me, not on some politico-religious reason. I suspect I'll rent the DVD when it comes out. I tend to save my movie money for big screen spectacles or movies :-)8 SWMBO wants to see. :-)
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The authors of that book go out of their way to make very big claims, and then say that they are just speculating, they can't prove anything.

HMMM! Now what was that famous qoute from WWII?
Tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:33 AM UTC
I read the book months ago, and Angels & Demons a while after Da Vinci Code.... honestly I enjoyed A&D more, but maybe that's because I've read The Holy Blood & The Holy Grail and saw the similarities...

Anyway... I saw the movie last Friday, and so far as a movie based on a book is concerned... it is great, there's nothing worse than reading the book and finding the movie totally different - like LOTR
I found the movie easy to watch, but feel there could have been more suspense... the camera shots in the museums and holy places were ok-ish, but one doesn't really get a feel of the size and sanctity of the Westminster Abbey, the Temple Church, or the Roslyn Chapel... and similarly with the Louvre...

My 0.02ZAR

Rudi
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dale Brown does much the same in his "Old Dog" series of novels with quotes from newspapers and other sources to set the scene. The Shaaras populated their Civil War and Rev War novels with real people, but we don't begrudge them. On TV, the Law and Order franchise is "ripped form the headlines" but we don't expect to get the exact story as it happened.

Quite true, Al. I did the same in my novel. But because the subject for Brown is religion, we can't look at it in the same way. And the Priory of Sion and its acts are what holds the plot together. Sort of like writing a fiction novel based on the SS, and what it did, claiming at the start that the SS, Gestapo, etc are real organizations, and then discovering that the SS was a piece of someone's fantasy. Know what I mean?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

my novel

Would that be "A Cause Untrue"? http://writeclique.net/work.php?ID=3322