TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Favorite Sci-Fi Movie?
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 11:56 PM UTC
I really like these favorite posts, it's really a great way to get to know the folks at Armorama. I know we all love building model kits, figures or dioramas, or we wouldn't be at this site,but I find it fun reading all the different interests.
So what are some of your favorite sci-fi movies? Mine would be the first Star Wars movie, when it came out back in 1997 I think, I went see it 3 times. I never did that before or since. Another fav is Alien and the Day the Earth Stood Still. I love the old 50's & 60's sci-fi movies, remember "Mars Needs Women"?

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 12:26 AM UTC
OOOOO

I can contribute here!
I'd have to say my faves are:
Aliens
Alien
Terminator 1 & 2 (do they count)
and of course MysteryScienceTheater!!

There are many others I could name (Mad Max - Is it SciFi?), but I can ALWAYS get into the one's I've mentioned.

Andy
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 12:31 AM UTC
Too easy to say Star Trek and Star Wars...

Favorites that I'll always watch when they come on, other than those above, would be George Pal's Time Machine, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and the Planet of the Apes movies.

Gunnie
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 12:32 AM UTC
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn, the space battle between the USS Reliant and the USS Enterprise ("no bloody A, B, C or D") are the best.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn, the space battle between the USS Reliant and the USS Enterprise ("no bloody A, B, C or D") are the best.

ABSOLUTELY! I agree with Sabot there - that has to be the best capitol ship battle done on the big screen of all Sci-Fi movies. Now - remember I said CAPITOL ships - not snub fighters ripping down the Trenches of the Death Star

Gunnie
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 01:42 AM UTC
Wow how could I forget planet of the apes! I loved the original, got the remake for Christmas on DVD, it was okay. Went out the next week and bought a copy of the original movie.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 02:10 AM UTC
i've always had a fondness for "Them" with James Arness and James Whitmore. About the giant anuts in the New Mexico desert. Another one that sticks in my mind is "50Million Years to Earth" a British sci-fi about a alien spacecraft unearthed during an extension of the London tube. And of course the original "Thing", again with James Arness and starring Kenneth Tobey.
I kinda thought "Matrix" was pretty good too.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i've always had a fondness for "Them" with James Arness and James Whitmore. About the giant anuts in the New Mexico desert. Another one that sticks in my mind is "50Million Years to Earth" a British sci-fi about a alien spacecraft unearthed during an extension of the London tube. And of course the original "Thing", again with James Arness and starring Kenneth Tobey.
I kinda thought "Matrix" was pretty good too.

Yeah Ron, "Them" is pretty good too. I always seem to tune into it when it comes on. I tune in to "50 Million Years to Earth" too when it comes on - the 'alien' scared me when I saw it growing up. Creepy effect for that time. I also liked both versions of the "Thing".

"Matrix" left me feeling lukewarm. Perhaps it was the acting-deficient Keanu Reeves, or something else, maybe I'll get onboard with "Matrix II".

I'm also a sucker for the Japanese Monster Flicks too - I love watching the models trundle across the screen :-)

Gunnie
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 04:23 AM UTC
The "Star Wars Trilogy" is THE fav for me, and then there that one alien movie with Roddy Piper. I think the name was "They Live", I'm not sure. I also like "The Final Countdown" with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen, when the carrier goes back in time to Pearl Harbor just befor the attack.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 04:36 AM UTC
Ladymodelbuilder,
While I was out to lunch today, never mind the pun, it's to easy. I was thinking of other sci-fi movies I like, and "the Final Countdown" came to mind. I've been looking for it on DVD too. Some great scenes with F14A's and the Japanese zeros too. I also really liked the "the 5th Element" with Bruce Willis and Gary Oleman. (don't think that's how you spell his last name).

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2002 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ladymodelbuilder,
While I was out to lunch today, never mind the pun, it's to easy. I was thinking of other sci-fi movies I like, and "the Final Countdown" came to mind. I've been looking for it on DVD too. Some great scenes with F14A's and the Japanese zeros too. I also really liked the "the 5th Element" with Bruce Willis and Gary Oleman. (don't think that's how you spell his last name).

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh

Another vote for "The 5th Element" - I like all of Gary Oldman's performances. He even does an ominous Colonel / Dr. Zachary Smith.

Gunnie
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 09:59 PM UTC
I agree Gunnie, Gary Oldman is a very good actor, and a great Count Dracula too.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh.
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
entire network: 255 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 10:23 PM UTC
I agree with Penny on this. Star Wars is my favorite, all the way.... I think they are all very good, although I think the original three episodes still hold an edge over the "smoothness" of The Phantom Menace. Perhaps Attack of the Clones can change that.... (what lame name though ).
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2002 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with Penny on this. Star Wars is my favorite, all the way.... I think they are all very good, although I think the original three episodes still hold an edge over the "smoothness" of The Phantom Menace. Perhaps Attack of the Clones can change that.... (what lame name though ).

David,
Attack of the Clones might be lame for a title, but it beats "Plan 9 from Outer Space". Which is another classic too.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hard to beat the "new" stuff, with what they can do with special effects these days. Star Wars has be to among the best Sci-Fi ever made.

But, I can remember being scared s**tless by The Day the Earth Stood Still, and Forbidden Plant, too. I still try to catch those two if I see them listed.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 04:18 AM UTC
Years ago my uncle was a movie theater projectionist, and he gave me an orginal movie poster for "the Day the Earth Stood Still". I still have it framed in my den. I also have an original "Star Wars" poster from 1977.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David,
Attack of the Clones might be lame for a title, but it beats "Plan 9 from Outer Space". Which is another classic too.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, Oh

I don't really mind the title either - after all George Lucas is doing Star Wars like the old pulp sci-fi series like Flash Gordon. We'll all begin to abbreviate it ATC and move on to the next one.

"Plan 9 From Outer Space" is a scary title though - as bad as the movie. But nothing's cooler than "Attack of the Killer Tomatos" or "Night of the Lepus" - Ack!

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hey Rufus, congrats on making Captain. AND, glad to see you lost the 'head towel' !

Tread.
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 02:02 AM UTC
Thanks Tread...I'd figured if this Army lets you be a Major, me being a captain is nothing. The towel was because I'm still wet behind the ears and it came in handy.

Ron C.
Ashtabula, OH.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 05:24 AM UTC
So, I'm late.
First off - the Star Wars films (need I say more?)
Aliens (absoutely terrifying)
The Terminators (coolest kick-butt villans)
Other than that, I haven't seen too many sci-fi movies.
On the AOTC title, I love it... Half the fun of anticipating a new Star Wars movie is trying to figure out what the plot is, wondering what all the cool little starships and devices do and who's gonna get fried by Anakin first. (I've got theories on how the clone army takes over)
If I could find anyone to go with me, I'd see the movie on opening day....

YodaMan
PS Do the Muppet movies count as sci-fi? For TV shows, I absolutely loved Seaquest DSV!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So, I'm late.
First off - the Star Wars films (need I say more?)
Aliens (absoutely terrifying)
The Terminators (coolest kick-butt villans)
Other than that, I haven't seen too many sci-fi movies.
On the AOTC title, I love it... Half the fun of anticipating a new Star Wars movie is trying to figure out what the plot is, wondering what all the cool little starships and devices do and who's gonna get fried by Anakin first. (I've got theories on how the clone army takes over)
If I could find anyone to go with me, I'd see the movie on opening day....

YodaMan
PS Do the Muppet movies count as sci-fi? For TV shows, I absolutely loved Seaquest DSV!

Absolutely TV counts! Picking Star Wars is too easy for movies, but as far as Sci-Fi TV, my all-time favorite is The Six Million Dollar Man. Steve Austin is about the coolest out there, all around. Again, picking Star Trek is too easy too - question should be Sci-Fi TV other than Star Trek!

Gunnie
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 07:07 AM UTC
I think Spaceballs has to rank very high on the classic sci-fi movie list...lol! :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Spaceballs has to rank very high on the classic sci-fi movie list...lol! :-)

Yeah - Spaceballs is great! How long ago DID that movie come out???

Gunnie
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Yeah - Spaceballs is great! How long ago DID that movie come out???

Gunnie

I don't know, I remember it as a kid. Dark Helmut rules! LOL!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC
"Prepare for ludicrious speed!"
"I always have coffee when I look at Mr. Radar."

It was the first movie I watch in a post theater after entering active duty in July 1987. I watched it at the Long Theater at Ft. Knox, KY, probably in August. The AAFES movie theaters usually were about 2-3 months behind the regular theaters, so I would venture a summer '87 release. I love the show, although I could never figure out why a Winnebago?