Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
The DUMBEST idea ever conceived by man!
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:28 AM UTC
That's right, I'm talking about Daylight Saving's Time! Who came up with it, and why?! No one has been able to give a good answer as to why anyone needs it in the first place! I didn't want it, I don't want it, and I'm going to hate every minute of it! (If you haven't noticed, I'm not a big fan of DST.)

(Taking away the bullhorn now. )

Honestly, I don't really see the point of setting every clock/watch in your possession back an hour. People have tried to tell me that it's to give me an extra hour of daylight, but it still makes no sense. I don't LIKE waking up an hour earlier for a "supposed" hour of extra light. Sorry to get on my little soap box, but I really, Really, REALLY DON'T LIKE Daylight Saving's Time! Thanks for your time and ears.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,339 Posts
KitMaker Network: 624 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:35 AM UTC
Who.....
Ben Franklin.. I think
Why...
The main purpose of Daylight Saving Time (called "Summer Time" in many places in the world) is to make better use of daylight. We change our clocks during the summer months to move an hour of daylight from the morning to the evening. Countries have different change dates.

More time to work the fields is what it comes down to..

Wait till next year when it changes to the second sunday in March and then the first sunday in November...

You can thank GW for that one...

Dave
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
It all goes back to farmers. By changing the time back, they don't have to get up as early to have as much light during the daytime to work the fields. I actually like it. Gives me more time in the evening of light to be outside with the kids.
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:37 AM UTC
Preach on brother

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:44 AM UTC
Working midnights, it really doesn't affect me at all.... :-) :-) except tonight I'll work 7 hours and get paid for the 8, and in the fall I'm still really only there 8 hours, but with the clock going back, it only appears to be longer, and I still get an hours OT.
It's still dark when I'm at work..... and if I get relieved early, it's still dark on the way home.
I like it because it the beginning of the new spring and summer clothes on the woman at the mall..... "Off with those over coats.... :-) :-)
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 05:25 AM UTC
You can always move to Arizona They don't have DST there :-) :-) At one time didn't Indiana not take part of DST?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 05:28 AM UTC
Yep, just found out that this DST is all new to them.....
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 06:01 AM UTC
If Arizona doesnt have it.....what time is it there? :-) :-)
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If Arizona doesnt have it.....what time is it there?

The right time! Thanks for your time.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 07:17 AM UTC
I'm not a huge fan of DST either, and certainly NOT having it in effect more than "real" time. This year it's going to be nearly seven months, and next year eight months. I can see a little sense in it, but only a little. The last month it's been getting light about 5:30 am. That's a bit early for me to really enjoy the light. Tomorrow it will be light at 6:30, and that will last until about 8:00 pm. That does give more time after I get home for work, but unfortunately it usually just means more time for "honey dos."

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 09:14 AM UTC
I left for Houston TX from Detroit MI on Friday. Just based on timezones TX is 1 hour behind Detroit. On Sunday the clocks will be changed one hour fourward and I will be flying back to Detroit across time zones. How do you like that??
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 03:31 PM UTC
Is anyone old enough to remember the year we stayed on DST over the winter?
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 04:15 PM UTC
Try just losing it down here...
Sure, I got an extra hours' sleep on this one day, but now I have frig all time to do outside chores after work... And it tolls the bells of the gradual downhill slide to winter... I can already feel the 5C overnite temps...
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 06:03 PM UTC
I don’t like it any. I say we all set are clocks back again and forget about it.
Plus it should be interesting to see what your boss would think if you did that.

Anyway I keep hearing that it has something to do with the farmers. But most farmers I know really don’t care what time it is.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 06:19 PM UTC
Good thing we don't have DST in the Philippines. Am not really a fan of DST, since I normally track my friend's time overseas. Now I always get confused on what time it really is there in their place :-) :-) :-)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 06:23 PM UTC
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/daylight_time.html
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 02:29 AM UTC
The reason we still persist with DST is to "save energy" With the light outside hanging arond to 7 or 8 PM now, you have less of a tendancy to turn the lights on in your house thus saving energy. The estimate for the US is 100, 000 barrels of oil a day. At nearly 70 a barrel, it's still a drop in the bucket. As for me, I like it because I'm a night owl and sleep during the mornings. So if I don't have to turn my overheads on till 7 and by peak summer 8 or 9, it saves me on electricity.
WingTzun
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 182 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The reason we still persist with DST is to "save energy" With the light outside hanging arond to 7 or 8 PM now, you have less of a tendancy to turn the lights on in your house thus saving energy. The estimate for the US is 100, 000 barrels of oil a day. At nearly 70 a barrel, it's still a drop in the bucket

Yeah but with the extra hour I'll bet people are going out more burning more gas than they are supposedly saving. Why not just move it 1/2 one way or the other and just leave it alone???
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Honestly, I don't really see the point of setting every clock/watch in your possession back an hour.

If you do that you'll be two hours late for work Monday morning. It's spring, so you should have set your clock ahead an hour.

"Spring forward, fall back."
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 08:38 AM UTC
funny,

i just found out about DST when i got my new watch last week. REading the manual about DST i'm rather confuse about the need to adjust the time... well, good thing i dont live in DST zone... so just stick to GMT !!!

anyway, thanks for the discussion, now i knew the usage of DST in other countries...

PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 06:20 PM UTC
What I hate is that now I have to set the clock in my truck again. It always takes me a couple of days to remember how to do it. I say pick a time and stick with it!

Patrick
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 06:25 PM UTC
The problem with Indiana when we did not change time was we never knew what time it was anywhere else. Half the year we would be the same as the East coast and the other half we would be the same as the Midwest. It made it a huge pain to schedule business trips and meetings. Now we will always be on east coast time.

I don't understand what the big deal is. It is an hour, for cripes sake. In 1582, to adjust the calenendar, you went to bed on October 4th and woke up on October 15th. So there. :-)

"During the Middle Ages, astronomers and mathematicians observed that the calendar year was not completely accurate with matching solar years. Errors in the Julian calendar were noted by church officials and scholars because church holidays did not occur in their appropriate seasons.

In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII (1502–85), who was pope from 1572 to 1585, and his astronomer and mathematician created a new, reformed calendar known as the Gregorian or New Style (N.S.) calendar. It was adopted first in Roman Catholic countries. Protestant countries adopted the calendar during the eighteenth century.

In order to make the calendar adjustment in 1582, ten days were eliminated from October. Thus 4 October 1582 was followed by 15 October 1582."

Lifted from here.

Shaun
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is anyone old enough to remember the year we stayed on DST over the winter?

I'm another old fart like you Dave. Wasn't that back during the "energy crisis" when they kept DST all year?

On the subject of states NOT going to DST I used to live in Arizona and had friends and family in California, not to mention customers all over the country. Half the year AZ would be on MST, mountain standard time, so they'd be the same time zone as Colorado, New Mexico, Nevad, Utah, etc. They'd be one hour behind Texas and one hour ahead of California. Then when DST kicked in and the rest of the country changed, AZ would be on the same time as California, and two hours off from Texas. It was confusing as heck trying to remember when to call somebody.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It was confusing as heck trying to remember when to call somebody.

Rodger, thank you. I got so tired of asking customers "What time is it there now?"

Shaun