_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
My next kit will be my last kit....
pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:08 PM UTC
I bought the Trumpeter SA-6 two weeks ago...it;s a nice kit...I have about 10 kit sitting in my room...and I have no time to buillt them...and I told my SWMBO that that was my last kit that I bought...

I drove past the hobby shop yesterday and there was the Trumpeter KV1-E box giving me the sorry look...there was also this sorry look on the rear mirror of my car...and I....bought my last kit again...the trumpeter KV-1E.....

What should I do...I am still waiting for Dragon to release the M1....but I have already bought my last kit......
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but I have already bought my last kit......

Until you pass the LHS again :-) . But seriously, why quit? So you don't have time to build. No hurry, build when you can.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:22 PM UTC
Promises, promises....

I made a vow not to buy any new models this year until I'd finished at least a part of my hoard. Vow lasted until last Saturday when I bought 2 Shermans. So far this week I've got another Sherman on order and half a dozen boxes of ICM and Zvezda figures.

Oh well
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,267 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 03:42 PM UTC
I go through this same dilema each time I purchase my last kit, then lo and behold a new last kit takes my eye and I am locked into the same neverending circle.

Last year I looked at my hoard and was ruthless in disposing of many until I got down to a manageable level, but then........the Dragon 251 series started to hit the shelves in the UK and here we go again.

So each one is my last kit until the next one........I must get the Panzer 4 that tantalised us in the Dragon advent calendar. Oh here we go again.

John
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 06:24 PM UTC
This pastime of ours should be an enjoyable one. If you've hit a wall, step back, and do something else for a while, spend time with the family, take up a sport, read a novel.... Eventually the bug wil come back to bite, and when it does, your models and supplies will still be there, waiting for you.

Happy non-modelling

Frank
KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 08:08 PM UTC
I too have "vowed" not to buy any more kits this year, excluding figures and accessories....My GF says or "suggests" :-) that I get a move on and hurry up and finish and start projects. Until we met, she thought they were toys, then she saw my dios, and now she can't wait to see my next piece!

As others probably have, like me, too many kits...hahaha
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:46 PM UTC
Done that so many times that no-one believes me any more! I just get a funny look - wonder why?
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hey I'm a bartender ...How many times do you think I've heard that one? :-) I swore I would try and keep it down this year ...So far I've got a KV-1 ,a Lynx,a PanzerIV B ,and the New Stuka all ordered ...and what day of the year is it? 18 days into the year!! I'll never learn!

Rick
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 490 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 01:03 AM UTC
As Mark Twain was supposed to have said, "Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world - I've done it hundreds of times!"

What tends to work for me is to think of hobby stores as a storage area for my collection. I just have to pay some money when I want to take the kit out and build it.

I have to admit I did slip a bit this year as well. I did get some small kits that I have a hope of finishing some day (Italeri 105mm, 75mm leIG 18, AFV Club 105mm) and some kits I was curious about (Maquette 1/72 Yak-7A and Toko 1/72 LaGG-3).

Hopefully I will get the artillery kits done (as well as complete the Tamiya 1/35 37mm PAK 35/36 that I started a year or two ago).
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 01:40 AM UTC
I'm afraid I don't even try to kid myself anymore. I'll admit it...I'm addicted to plastic.

Mike

jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 01:50 AM UTC
maybe im the only one but i always think about storage space before i buy a kit.

The last time i ran out of space, i ended up building a shelf just to keep all my models. So these days, when i see a nice kit, i always think about where i can store it and if i cant....i get someone to pry my dead fingers off it.
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 02:15 AM UTC
At last count I've said that same thing at least 800 times.
I know I'll never build them all but I just can't say NO every time that NEW great kit comes out.
Just tell her that you've become a part-time builder and have now graduated to the status of "Collector".
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :-)
notdunyet
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 02:36 AM UTC
I think a year needs to be measured in infinity. Seems like the only excuse that the year doesnt end and "they" don't run out of models for us to buy! Think time management for the other half.
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 37 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 03:02 AM UTC
Ahhh, the dilemma...

I ran my collection up to 2300+ kits, mostly 1/350 ships, 1/35 armor, and 1/48 aircraft. Then I took a job out of state and realized I'd have to move all these boxes, so I thinned the collection, sold 2100 kits off, and changed gears.

Now, I've been in Wisconsin almost a year (Feb. 14th) and I'm back up to 600 or so kits, mostly 1/350 ships, 1/35 and 1/16 armor, and 1/32 and 1/24 aircraft.

Course now, it's a job, so I have an excuse (kind of). Still, there's no feeling in the world (at least to a modeler) than being able to stand in front a large collection of kits and spend 2 days figuring out what your next project is going to be.

Therein gents, lies the beauty of what we do...we are the rulers of our domains, and our kits, our minions!!

Ok, time to go home, waaay too much coffee and Mt. Dew today.

Jeff
Spades
Visit this Community
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 08:30 AM UTC
AW HELL !!!! You mean I was not the only one who said, " This is my last kit, I swear, I promise no more until I at least knock some off my collection". I always do well............for a week.......then the new releases come out. I sneak out to the LHS and promise not to buy, just look, thinking that should keep me happy. Does it ever work that way ????????????/ NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. My wife refuses to believe me that its the last one anymore,,,lol :-) :-) Heck, I bought a house and said, now I have room for my models and not get anymore, hell, my garage is showing signs of "new models mysteriously appearing in corners of the garage". Excuse I use,,,,,,,,," I already had that one dear, you just dont recognize it with all the others I already have">
modeldude51
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 09:28 AM UTC
My work all day is model building and when I finish in the evening I build models for my recreation. During our 25 years of marriage I secretly planned family vacations around military museum sites, and while the kids played in motel pools I took the yellow pages poolside to find the local hobby shops. With a still happy marriage and four great grown kids I can't complain. I don't know if it's a genetic or acquired thing, but I DO know that after over 40 years of modeling it IS incureable.
When I start shaking bits and pieces from my spares box on my breakfast cereal I'll start to worry.

Happy Modeling!

Ed
pionner
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 12:56 PM UTC
Can't sleep again....so well....

Guys.....glad to know I am not the only one with this problem....everytime I go into a LHS...I get the feeling that my trip is wasted if I do not get anytthing.... I usually stand there for a minute or two and try to reason with myself why I should get this or that model....

Some of the reasons I have used to convince myself....

1) What if it went out of production...and became a collector item...

2) It's still within my budget for this month...

3) I can always find some space to put it...the box not that big ..

4) She'll never find out anyway.....

the horror...the horror.....of modelling...what have I become... :-)
Orffer
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
entire network: 44 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 01:48 PM UTC
:-) :-)

I have the same problem. I have made a deal with my wife that I will build 3 models or 5 figures before I buy another model.

So lately I'm buying paint and other stuff, since that wasn't included in the deal, and I must have them, since they would enable me to complete my target!

:-) :-)

Dieter
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 183 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 11:15 PM UTC
Whatever you do, you just can't resist! Try as you may, but you just can't (or at least I can't anyway
Salvo
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
entire network: 311 Posts
KitMaker Network: 98 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 12:15 AM UTC
Mmmm......They always say they are quitting but they never do. It's an adictive hobby. It's what we do. The sooner we accept it the better off and less guilty we feel. See my post here:

=https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/66145&page=1

Since this post I have bought more. I even ordered some more last night. I can't pass up a good deal.

Later,
Salvo
badger66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 251 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 12:39 AM UTC
Keep on keepin on I ve used up the shelf space in my closet and in the hallway closet with my last kits!!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 01:41 AM UTC
20 years ago I noticed I was starting to build up a stash. So I wrote a list down of every model kit I had. I wassort of transitory at the time moving every couple of years. I would list the kits I finished on one side and the ones I purchased on the other. I considered it a victory to build more than I bought. About 14 years ago I moved into this house. I started the list. About 7 years ago, I got back into 35th scale armor. I have long since lost control. Since January, I have bought 1 kit and built one. So YIPPEE, I am dead even. I am working on a 350 scale Lexington aircraft carrier which is going to take some time after that I've got the Tamiya M48 Patton for the Patton campaign. Who knows, maybe the reduce the stash in 2006 will make it, but then there are Leopards , a Jagdtiger, and the USS Alabama that I NEED !!!!! :-)
CRS
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,936 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 01:46 AM UTC
The cry of the plastiholic. My last kit was the one I picked up today........until I see something else I NEED. :-) :-) :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP