Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Opinions : Worst war movie ever made.....
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:15 AM UTC
Ok, since one of our fellow members decided to do a "best war movie ever made", I decided to do the opposite. What do you all think is the worst war movie ever made. I nominate that movie which I cant even remember the name to, the one which Nicholas Cage which the indian code speakers. Hated it, and still hate it. The movie was nothing about what it should have been about. So much potential put to waste, just GOD AWFUL TERRIBLE !!!!!!!!!! The indians should have sued.....agh. Hope someone picks up another script and does it justice to those native americans and the part they played. Thier are others, just this one comes to mind first and foremost.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:20 AM UTC
Well, "Pearl Harbor" comes to mind. (I always liked "Tora! Tora! Tora!" better.) Thanks for your time.

Oh, you're thinking of "Windtalkers", by the way.
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:29 AM UTC
my movie would be "american soldiers" (sorry if this afends some people).the story line in it is crap.at the start they find some iraqies blowing of motar rounds instead of shooting them from the bridge they go down there and get them and one of there guys die.

again sorry if this affends some americans
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:36 AM UTC
That's got to be " Battle of the Bulge ", in which the Ardennes offensive is 'abridged' to a three day romp, without a speck of snow. I can live with the Chaffee's pretending to be Panzers, but the story line is so c&&p, it beggars belief.

Cheers
Henk
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:36 AM UTC
I will second Pearl Harbor (hiding a love story under the guise of a war movie was not cool), and I will also add in the Delta Force movies.
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:42 AM UTC
This one stunk to high h&*l, "The Marksman" staring Wesley Snipes. I was worse than a B movie.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:59 AM UTC
Despite the hype - Platoon was a piece of pure c*** fiction.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:03 AM UTC
Heh heh - I loath Nicholas Cage - but went to see "Windtalkers" anyway. It didn't improve my opinion of him at all. He ranks right up there on my "x@#)-o-meter" with Kevin Costner and George Clooney...

I really didn't think much of "The Thin Red Line" either. I agree, "Pearl Harbor" was really disappointing too, but I liked the special effects work. If only "Tora Tora Tora!" had that kind of technology available at the time that movie was produced.

"Battlefield Earth" bit the dust too - ooops - wrong genre...

Gunnie

Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:12 AM UTC
I forgot about The Marksman, and agree it was horrible, but it had a pretty sweet scene with an F-14 (I think) in it that did stick out.
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:13 AM UTC
Thin Redline
Pearl Harbor
Saving Private Ryan
Operation Dumbo Drop
Rambo III

These are tops on my modern schitte-list flicks.

As for SPR, don't even ask... greatly disappointed. However, the same blokes and same productions' Band of Brother is my all time favortie.

WC
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:17 AM UTC
Pearl Harbor, Battle of the Bulge and Thin Red Line. Windtalkers is Academy material compared to those
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:24 AM UTC
1. Can't remember the name but it stared Michel J. Fox and Sean Penn. Michel J. Fox belongs in a war flick like I belong in a Fredricks of Hollywood add.

2. Thin Red Line
Why the hell would anyone want to go see a war flick and be interrupted every 10 to 15 minutes by some peckerwood reading poetry? I wanted the main character to die in the first scene.
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 945 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why the hell would anyone want to go see a war flick and be interrupted every 10 to 15 minutes by some peckerwood reading poetry?

:-) :-) :-)

Ya know, a friend of mine who's a commercial director love this movie... Yeah the artsy fartsy ppl just dont get it. War should be hell, not feel like in hell.

WC
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,683 Posts
KitMaker Network: 284 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 09:48 AM UTC
I'm a John Wayne fan (met him once...) but 'Green Berets' was crapolla of the worst kind. 'Enola Gay' with Patrick Duffy was kaka too. The entire 'Iron Eagle' series was really bad - If it wasn't for Lou Gossett Jr. it would have been criminal. 'Red Dawn' had some pretty hateful moments (thank you Charlie Sheen) and so did 'Navy Seals' (thank you Charlie Sheen). As far as 'Battle of the Bulge', I agree with whomever said they could live with Chaffee's as Tigers 'cause there never seems to be enough Tigers to go around when you want to make a movie, but the only thing I watch for when it's on late night TV is when Robert Shaw and his young-uns sing "Panzerlied".... It somehow stirs the blood.....It goes quickly downhill after that.

I think my all time best movie fav would have to be 'Dogs Of War' with Christopher Walken at his on-the-edge creepiest. Mercenaries, corrupt governments and funny Brits... what's not to love...

I'm just sayin'.....
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,242 Posts
KitMaker Network: 488 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 10:13 AM UTC
Pearl Harbor...hands down
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 939 Posts
KitMaker Network: 202 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:01 AM UTC
Worst film ever made?Gallipoli starring Mel Gibson.Crap 80's movie,with synthesizer music during the action.I think they took some of the music out of Mad Max and put in Gallipoli.0/10
Cheers,Shay
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
entire network: 2,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 613 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:30 AM UTC
We Were Soldiers (whoever made the movie forgot to read the book)

Enemy at the Gates (ever see a sniper shoot someone with a scoped Mosin-Nagant at 25 feet? No? Watch this movie and you will)

Delta Force (because it's not)

Rambo & Rambo 3 moderator edit

Heartbreak Ridge (Grenada wasn't a war, more like a traffic accident)

Sniper 2 & 3 (watch it and you'll regret it)

That sniper movie with Dolf Lundgren (can't remember the name)

There are more that were so bad that I've forgotten them.

EDIT: It's funny to see that some movies that were named as all time favourites in that other thread have made it into the all time worst list too!
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 11:43 AM UTC
Definitely thin red line.

I actually liked Pearl Harbour although i have to agree it isnt Academy material. Im just drooling over Kate.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Worst film ever made?Gallipoli starring Mel Gibson.Crap 80's movie,with synthesizer music during the action.I think they took some of the music out of Mad Max and put in Gallipoli.0/10
Cheers,Shay

OH DAMN! I put that in my best of list, but I was thinking of another movie... Hang on, it was mini-series. Does that still count? C'mon Shay help me out here... Think it was a 2 parter. From Gallipoli to the western Front...
But as for this thread, Wind talkers. To have Nickel arse Cage running around like the Governator, really stuck in my craw...
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Think it was a 2 parter. From Gallipoli to the western Front...

ANZACS!! - with Paul Hogan among others and definitely not rubbish - even though some of the actors couldn't quite cope with the SMLE bolt action, even after 3 years (TV time) of service

On a personal note I watched part of Anzacs with a Normandy veteran who commented that most WW2 films left out the sound of German MG fire which was his abiding memory.

On the dreck list:

Platoon
Gallipoli
Breakthrough (alleged sequel to 'Cross of Iron' featuring Richard Burton !!!! in a British DPM jacket)

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can't remember the name but it stared Michel J. Fox and Sean Penn

Think that was 'Casualties of war' - notable for the highly visible blank cartridges in the M60 toted by one of the cast
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 03:02 PM UTC
U371 (or whatever the title was), was the most pathetic excuse for re-writing history ever made. Others were Pearl Harbor, Thin Red Line, Windtalkers, Objective Burma, Patton and Tobruk. 'Downfall' comes into the list as well for its reprising of the famous line from the 'Producers'

Quoted Text

'But Der Furher loved the animals..'

....Aaaaaggghhh!!!...Jim
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 03:19 PM UTC
Bloody hell!
ANZACS... Some may say that I should have remembered that... :-)
VonCuda
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,216 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:21 PM UTC
yes!!!!! Casualties of War...............
Glad someone remembered that! Thanks Drader.
After seeing that movie I needed therapy.
Yet another war movie in which I wanted to see the main character die in the first scene.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 08:32 PM UTC
Shay, Bradley, your both off my christmas card list :-)
Gallipoli is one of the best films ever made, might not be one of your favourites, but WORST? You sure you moved to Belgium or were you exiled? :-)
Bradley, ANZACS...how could you...if not for the film, at least for the name ....you shall also be getting a letter in the mail informing you of your deportation soon :-)
Nah seriously guys, those two are some of my Favourites...worst...bah....

Also, Frank, Platoon? comon mate, would say it's all pure fiction, most of it was pretty spot on, another one of my favourites :-)
Thin red line is another ive gotta stand up for, i thought it was fantastic, it had a nice amount of action as to make it not too boring, but the poetry, to me, made me think alot, i suppose your either gonna love or hate that film then.

Ok, as for what i think the worst is... hmmm, well windtakers takes two spots, worst war film, and best comedy, i thoroughly enjoyed the end where he runs up to about 15 japanese soldiers with his thompson like rambo, and despite there being around 5 of them about 10 feet away, not one can hit him, and he just blasts em away, and repeats the process until Saipan is cleared

Cheers