_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
best magnifier
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 09:20 AM UTC
I'm looking to buy a pair of magnifying lenses for modelling . prices range the gammut. I don't need glasses but could use the help when detail painting. Anyone have any input ? I wpouldnt day money is no object but I would like to get a good one possibly with interchangeable lenses. thanks

Josh weingarten
aKa shiryon
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 11:14 AM UTC
You might want to check into something like these:
BINOCULAR MAGNIFIER

Our Binocular Magnifier gives you 3 dimensional viewing by providing magnification for both eyes. Optical quality glass lens magnifies objects 2-1/2 times at a working distance of 8 inches. Additional interchangeable lens plates are available separately for other magnifications (see chart). Comfortable, light-weight leather headband has orthopedic felt padding and is fully adjustable to fit all head sizes. Tilts up and out of the way when not in use and can be worn over glasses. Attachment loupe shown is optional (doubles the magnification of any lens plate)

They are available through Micro-Mark
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 11:25 AM UTC
Josh, I agree with Ken's post. I have a pair similar to what Ken is showing and they're great to have.

The headbands are adjustable for a comfortable fit, and with the pair I have, (they're a cheaper variety), has two sets of lenses, one is always down for magnification, but you can flip two more sets down to increase magnification dramatically. These types obviously leave your hands free, and I've never noticed them bothering me as far as weight if I wear them for an extended period of time, plus they tip up out of the way when you don't need them. Again, I have a cheaper type that I have seen offered from $14.95 to 19.95. Check Model Expo. Even though they are low end, they'll last longer than I will! :-)

Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 851 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 11:35 AM UTC
Oh, I hate those Opti-visor things.
No offense guys, but they look rather foolish.
My Dad has a pair and I laugh him out of the room when he wears them.

Does anyone know of a product that is a Magnifying Glass on an arm that can be mounted on a table and moved to suitable positions?

Thanks,
Andrew

ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 12:04 PM UTC
Andrew, I use one similar to this,

although I find the florescent lamp tends to eliminate shadows, which can make painting dificult, especially figures. Also, I find mine can be awkward to position satisfactorily.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 01:27 PM UTC
Geoff,
would you recommend this product?
How much is it?
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 01:58 PM UTC
I have both magnifying devices and I prefer the optivisor I still use the swivel mounted light/magnifyer for the light, but rarely for magnifying since I received the optivisor - reasons why:

Swivel magnifier: ADVANTAGES: Better than nothing; Comes with its own light DISADVANTAGES: Have to take your hands off work or tools to adjust, - I loose perspective going from using it to not using it and back, etc., - only one magnification available, - Not easy to transport if I take modeling stuff on long TDY.

Optivisor - ADVANTAGES: Can get different magnification by getting different lens sets, - easy to transport, - can use them anywhere!!! (on the car, fixing kids toys, updating my PC) - I can wear them and use them the way I use my bifocals (starting needing those at about age 45), except the magifying lens is on top --- By swinging the lens part way down I can look "up" to look thru the magnifying lens and then look "down" for no magnification and I do not lose my perspective. I can easily find other tools, model parts, etc., without having to move the swing arm out of my way. DISADVANTAGES: can make my forehead sweat under the head ban, and my kids think I look funny

The initial Optivisor purchase may cost more than the swing arm magnifier, but extra lenses are cheap - Each different lens has a differnt focal length - usually the more powerful, the shorter the focal length.

I still recommend swing arm lamps, I use one on each side of my modeling desk to eliminate shadows

Hope this may help you decide. You will find either useful, regardless of the state of your eyesight

Jeff
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 02:04 PM UTC
thanks for the replies all. I have the magnifier lamp but as mentioned above I to find it cumbersome to use.I guess I'll also get one of the optivisor with multiple lenses.

Thanks josh
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 03:38 PM UTC
I have a light similar to the one in Geoff's post. I find that when I use the magnifier, I lose my depth perception and always end up making a mess when painting. I haven't used the binocular type, but it seems that if the other guys haven't noticed a loss of their depth perception, that is the one that I would buy.

Patrick
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 02:46 AM UTC
Good point, I didn't take the loss of depth perception into account
Andrew

:-H
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:07 AM UTC
I recently bought the binocular type, and I must admid that I always use them, they look foolisch, my kids roll over the floor when they see me, but it makes things so much easier and more fun.

Can't do whitout them anymore

Just my 2 cents
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC
One of the three lights on my work bench has a magnifier which is okay for extreme closeups but lacks depth perception. Also, the slightest tap has it moving around dizzyingly. I use the type of binocular headgear several other posters have mentioned. The guys in the club who are getting, well, more seasoned and less gamey, all have some type of those gadgets. I find they work best with my contacts and not nearly as well with my regular glasses (biofcals), probably because I wind up looking through the distance part when I'm looking at my work.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 03:44 AM UTC
My eyesight is quite poor and I don't see details without visual support. I have one of those head-pieces with double vision. It was a light plastic version and I look even more ridiculous than without them, but it wa quite cheap and it works.
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 09:42 AM UTC
I have the headband magnifier too, and I really like it. I live alone, so I don't have anybody laughing at me when I wear it though. I'm sure it looks pretty goofy. I also have the fourescent light with the lens in it. It is a big old jewler's one, with a real glass polished lens. They are both good, but I prefer the headband for the reason of perspective. I use the other one for driling, and for reading small part numbers on taps and dies, and those types of uses, but if I am actually manipulating something into position, I like the headband better. The other neat thing I have, is another flourescent magna-lamp deal, without a lens in it. (It was busted in shipping, and I got the frame for a couple of bucks, installed a new circular bulb in it, and have used it since) I often use this for a light source, as it has the circular lamp in it, and provides very neat shadow free lighting. There is no lens, so I have a clear direct view of my model. I use this for detail painting, some scribing operations, and small parts attachments. for leveling surfaces, and aligning parts, and other scribing or adzing operations, I actually prefer to work with an incandescent bulb off to the side, ,as I need a bit of a shadow to judge my work. This is especially important for aligning seams and the like. It also helps with scribing and drybrushing.

Try the headband, and get the decent one. You won't regret it, and you can always use it when nobody's looking. There are some jobs you just can't do as well any other way.

mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 01:15 AM UTC
I'll chime in with my two cents. I have a couple of suggestions that haven't been mentioned yet. If you wear glasses like I do, these are just great!

They clip on to your glasses and are inexpensive, maybe $10.00(US). They are for fishermen that tie flies and are available in most good fishing supply stores. Also, they are available in several different magnifications.
If you don't wear glasses, try using reading glasses. They're cheap and available in most drug stores.
The advantage to both of these are that you don't lose your depth perception and they are lightweight.
I hope this is helpful to you.
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
I am going to try a pair of those clip ons. I tie flies too, but I have always been able to do it just with my prescription glasses. Now that I am nearing 40, I am ready for a bit of extra help. I will be going to the Sporting goods store in the next town, as soon as the snow gets plowed, and I will price them. Thanks for the tip.
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 717 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:20 AM UTC
I have a pair of the strongest folding reading glasses I could find... cost me about $11. Most of the time I work without any kind of glasses (I'm rather myopic, so its nice not to have to wear glasses when I'm working on models). I also have a combination holder (two alligator clips on adjustable arms with a positionable magnifier lens) that I will ocassionally use for detail painting, altough for me, hand-eye co-ordination seems to be an oxymoron...
 _GOTOTOP