TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Saw the new Kong last night and...
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 10:38 PM UTC
It's hard to say what I thought! There are some moments of amazing action that really blow you away and it looks great but I came a way feeling there is something lacking.

Maybe it was the three hour running time, but I guess it's the fact I really wish there had been a bit more going on with the human characters.

Yeah, its a good movie and worth seeing for sure. I love the original (and will admit loved the '77 re-make as a kid) and this is a great addition to the Kong legacy.

I really love the ship in this movie - man it would be great to be heading to Skull Island! And the island itself was an amazing character. The bug scene was horrific and maybe it was a bit too much after all the dino stuff.

Maybe it was the Beauty character who had the weakest part. She really never said anything and you never felt like you knew what she was really about.

Also, the transition from Skull Island to New York was really bad. There should ahve been a better scene in between those two acts that tied the movie together better. With a three hour running time, there certainly would have been an opportunity to do so.

But its good and the dino chase was probably one of the most intense things I have ever seen in a movie and worth it for that alone. Really amazing stuff. Oh, the planes that shoot Kong are also spectacular - beautiful.

Steve
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 12:04 AM UTC
To be honest, I thought the LOTR saga was great and for me very emotional. I was pretty near crying during the last film when Sam and Frodo were stuck on that lava flow.

You are right about parts being a bit lacking, but compared to Kong, Jackson handled Middle Earth much better.

Steve
jetprovost
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 111 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 03:23 AM UTC
I saw it this morning and have to admit I was blown away! It may have been a little slow to get going but being a huge fan of the '33 version I found this a good chance to find out more about the characters. Once it did get going I thought it was superb.

To be honest I could have stayed in my seat at the end and watched it all again. And of course the ending....not a dry eye in the house.....including mine! (sap!)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 04:03 AM UTC
BINGO - BANGO - BONGO !!!!!!!!!!! This sounds like a BIG SCREEN must see for me. I usually only see 1 movie a year. I have absolutly adored King Kong from the first time I saw it in the early 60's. Unlike Sniper I have always hated the 77 remake. We called it "Kinky Kong" because of the blow drying scene with Cybill Shepard. So finally a remake that respects the original and upgrades it rather than detracts. How delightfully refreshing. Thanks for your critque Steve !!!
sonnyboy
Visit this Community
Denmark
entire network: 473 Posts
KitMaker Network: 151 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2005 - 04:26 AM UTC
i have also just seen the new film from peter jackson and he have realy made a big hit again with king kong. I mean everything was just beutifull. The movie had everything, action, a hero, a beauty, humor and a eight meter giant beast!
the story in the film was superb and the endline realy hit the nail and the meaning or what ever in the story. I must edmit i have not seen the original versions and i doubt that i will. I would say that peter jackson have made again a blockbuster hit and something to be written in the histroy of moviemaking. The action scenes were so cool. Loved the scene when Kong broke the jar of T-rex. It was such a great scene.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 09:57 PM UTC
Gonna see the big guy this Friday. The guys (my Dad, nephew and I) are going to King KOng and the ladies (Mom sister and Neice) are going to see "The Geisha". What a deal !!!!!!!!!
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:04 PM UTC
I liked the movie, although I thought a few parts could have been trimmed. I also agree that the transition from Skull Island to New York was pretty choppy. I was thinking to myself--how are they gonna lift/carry/drag Kong to the boat?

Sean
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I liked the movie, although I thought a few parts could have been trimmed. I also agree that the transition from Skull Island to New York was pretty choppy. I was thinking to myself--how are they gonna lift/carry/drag Kong to the boat?

Sean

That was left to the imagination in the first one as well, IIRC.
EasyOff
Visit this Community
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 03:12 AM UTC
CG monkey Killers!!! :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

CG monkey Killers!!! :-)

Hey, he's not a monkey. He's an ape. A great Ape at that. A great ape. Real big ape. As in gorilla. Humungorilla.
:-)

Besides, the American Pixel Examiners Society certified that no pixels were harmed in the making of the movie.

So there! PPPPTTTTHHHTTT!
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 505 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 07:24 AM UTC
damn 3 hours?
no intermission??
Ron
EasyOff
Visit this Community
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 06:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Besides, the American Pixel Examiners Society certified that no pixels were harmed in the making of the movie.

As long as no pixels were hurt, then I'll retract my statement.

I WANT to see it, but I don't want to deal with the chest pains and all that sorrow. I snuggle with my dogs every day ma'an.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 11:20 PM UTC
Did someone say "Grape Ape"?

:-)

Jim
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,901 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 11:54 PM UTC
Highly recommended!!! Three hours of which flew by. The first hour went by without any action, strictly character development, no sight of Kong,... no sight of the Island.... great crescendo! The last two hours are non-stop action, Kong vs. the world. Great acting too.

Peter Jackson does it again, three thumbs up! :-)

Frank
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 10:32 AM UTC
yeah i just saw the movie earlier today and was quite impressed by it. Definite favourite scene has got to be the duel with the T-Rexs. Lets face it, fighting beside cliffs with an ape that climbs with ease is definitely a lose lose situation for T-Rex.

Not sure if anyone noticed but one of the actors (swallowed by the leech looking bug) is actually the same guy that did smeagol in LOTR. He also happened to be the same man that provided some movement help for the CGI animators for King Kong himself.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 - 11:42 AM UTC
Really a grand film. I walked out of the theater feeling certainly entertained. It was a fantastic picture. Lots of action and a plot that is incredible. Jack Black is so cool (Tenacious-D and his good acting ability).

Great movie,

~Chip
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 02:45 AM UTC
My once a year "big Screen" movie. WELL WORTH THE WAIT. I loved every minute of it and as predicted I shed a few tears during the ice "skating" scene when I realized that it wasn't very long until the airplanes were coming. I think the best tribute that could be paid was the closing with the exact same line that the original closed by. Several members of the audience clapped at the end so I thnk I can say it was well received here in Dallas.
Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Unlike Sniper I have always hated the 77 remake. We called it "Kinky Kong" because of the blow drying scene with Cybill Shepard.

1977? Cybill Shepard? What film are you referring to?
The De Laurentis remake of King Kong was released on December 17th, 1976 and featured Jessica Lange. Granted, she does look a bit like Cybill Shepard!
I loved that film. Going to see PJ's Kong tonight, and I'm sure I'm gonna love it, too!

UPDATE:
Just came back, and as I predicted, I did indeed love it! What a magnificent cinematic masterpiece!
Repeat viewings are definitely in order!
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
entire network: 475 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 02:17 PM UTC
i thought the movie was to romantic for me the only good bits were the action bits and who wants to see a ape having feelings for a nyc'er
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 02:31 AM UTC
My turn.
Just stunning! (I could have done without the ice skating, however.) Three hours flew by. Some little things that made it a more fun experience. Early on, Denham is looking for a size 4 star and mentions Faye, whose doing a movie with Cooper, an homage to the original. The dancers in the theatre scene are duplicates of the Kong Islanders from the original.
A little cinematic thing a lesser director might have skipped, in the side shots of the planes, well and dirty as Navy (aircraft should be, the wheels are spinning from the wind). Kong is an old warrior, even in his first scenes, he's wearing multiple scars.
In the Empire State scene, I was feeling as if I were on a high elevation in the open, sort of a vertigo like feelling.
There was applause in the theatre I was in as well.
Absolutely worth seeing.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 05:31 AM UTC
Good eye and ear AL. I noticed all the scars and picked up on the Faye Ray reference, I missed the wheels on the aircraft. One other bit of trivia. The way they did the "THE END" screen as an exact duplicate of the originals RKO "THE END" screen. I believe they also did this on the Opening screen when they flashed King Kong. Oh and Shado....you are correct, I didn't see the flick until 77 which is why I goofed, and I realized later that it was Jesica, just didn't feel like going back to correct...like I said the movie was really awful in my opinion. That is one you don't see featured on AMC or TCM during this hype period. I particularly liked the new "romantic" twists as they show the gentle gorilla side which the present day anthropoligists have discovered rather than the terrifying rampaging beast it was percevied to be 70 years ago.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 09:33 PM UTC
Just saw this last nite with the wife. Question...

Did anyone else start to giggle a little bit at some of the action sequences? The stampeding sauropods? Ann holding on to the T-Rex's teeth? The insects of doom? My gawd. If I were to rate this movie by the hour it would get...

A - F - B

So sad...

Peter...dude... reign in those FX-masters at WETA a bit will ya. They ruined your movie.

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I particularly liked the new "romantic" twists as they show the gentle gorilla side which the present day anthropoligists have discovered rather than the terrifying rampaging beast it was percevied to be 70 years ago.

Steve,
I agree that was a nice upgrade/update to the Ann/Kong relationship. But as for not being a rampaging beast... imagine someone saying that at the exit of the cave that lead to the demise of Kong's earlier brides... You can hear it now can't you??

But... LOOK AT THE BONES!! hehe

Jim
Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 211 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 09:26 PM UTC
Saw it again today. Absolutely beautiful film.
Will be seeing it again several more times while it's still showing at theaters.