Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Should I, or not?
M60
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 12 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 10:31 AM UTC
Join the Naval Reserve?
The "Basic" is only two weeks!?! I'm not sure about the AIT part. I need to find out more, but I'm kind of kicking around the idea for now.
I had prior service with the Army/Guard. I am 36, 37 in 3 days. I am a professional firefighter now. I could stand to lose about 30 pounds. I am capable of doing my job and then some, but I am unsure about a two mile run. I broke my left leg about three years ago and now have 7 screws in the bone. I have been considering getting back into the service but I am unsure.
Anybody have any thoughts? Good bad or otherwise? I know the Naval Reserves have been activating personnel, wich does not bother me, but my wife would be a different story...
I sit and think...

M60
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 10:36 AM UTC
P.S.

I may not respond to any replies quickly. I only have internet at work and my schedule gives me four days in a row off, and I am taking a vacation day Friday, so I'll be off six days.

Thanks, -60
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 11:22 AM UTC
This is a decision that will affect the rest of your family...are you sure you want to include us in your decision making process?

I personally would give up anything for my family so I will be doing a deep soul searching to find out what i hope to achieve by going to the Naval Reserves and if that is worth enough to me to compromise the time i have with my family.

Do you want to do this because you are curious of what its like or is it something you've always wanted to do but never had the chance.

Last but not least, i would find out how much family support i would have before taking the plunge...pun not intended.

All the best either way.
M60
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 12:51 PM UTC
Well, Jeremy, I guess I'm just kind of bouncing the idea off of everybody. I know there are lots of military and ex's on here.
I will put a LOT of thought into it. But I have been thinking about the military for a good while. And yes, I have always been curious about the Navy. My first models were all WWII carriers, battleships etc. when I was in Kinder and 1st grade even.
My family will always come first. But I serve my God, my community and did serve my country. I'm just thinking maybe I still can. These are tough times for our country. I guess I'll always be a patriot, even if I don't always agree with the way our nation is. Who does?
My mind is far from made up.
Thanks for your reply. -60
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC
Whatever you decide, don't let the spectre of a two mile run haunt you.The Army PT run is two miles, the Navy's is only 1.5.
Personally, I say do it, as long as your wife is cool with it. It eliminates the potential for sitting arond in your old age talking about what you wanted to do, but never did. Out of curiosity, is this at NAS JRB Ft. Worth?
M60
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 04:27 PM UTC
No, Bravo. The recruiter is in Harlingen, Tx. I work in San Benito, lower Rio Grande Valley.
I'm not even sure what the nearest unit actually is. I just saw the flyer today.
One of the other firefighters I work with is Naval Reserve and he is on his second call up to active duty right now in the last four years. The first time he went to Corpus Cristi. This time, I believe he was sent to the Persian Gulf. We have been out of contact since he left. Sure wish I could talk to him now.
As far as being old and wishing I could have done more, I really have done and seen alot. Just doesn't seem like enough, you know?
Thanks for your response. I'll be thinking on this awhile.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 05:34 PM UTC
I understand about being old. Had I not come back in I'd be exactly one of those guys I'm talking about. I have a friend who is active duty Navy in Corpus. I don't remember the name of the base, but I do know it's scheduled to be closed in the next few years. That may or may not have an impact on your decision, as you may have to drive a lot further to drill.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,086 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 01:40 AM UTC
You shouldn't have to even worry about boot camp with the Navy, you alredy paid those dues. I went the same route, I was Army for 8 years active, then I went Army Reserve until the big cuts back in the 90's. You also have the option of swimming vs. running during the PFT. And yes, you might get activated, especially if you're an HM serving with a Marine unit like I am. I'm getting called up again, however you have to agree to a second call up. PM me and I'll answer any questions you might have about the Navy Reserve, I'm in the same boat about computer access.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 2,709 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 06:37 AM UTC
Im not sure if the reserves are anything like the ones i used to supervise while on active duty but they were kinda switched off even on deployment.

One good thing i hear about reserves on deployment is that the change from the mundane activities in life does make things a little interesting.

I personally hated the regimental life so it'd be a really cold day in hell before i go back to the army.
ellevehc86
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 162 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC
I've been thinking about joining the army reserves for a while now. But, when I give it serious thought, I'm reminded that I have resposibilities at home. Joining the military is a noble worth while thing and defending our country is one of the bravest things a man can do. But, being a man is about excepting responsibilities, and keeping up with the ones you have. That is why I can't go. I've made a commitment to my girlfriend of 5 years (we live together) and my dogs. Although that does'nt seem like much, but it is my job to take care of them. With out me, my little family would fall apart, and I care about them too much to let that happen, or even running the risk of that happening. Also, even though the Army seems "nifty", its a very real thing. With a very real possibillities of going off to war. And with any war, there will be casualities. If something was to happen to me, who would take care of them? The way I look at it now, if my country needs me, and asks me to go. I will be more than happy to do my duty for my country. But untill then, I have to do my duty at home, and be content with helping the soldiers over there with care packages, and letters.

-Jay-
SSG_Q
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 01:15 PM UTC
Speaking as a career infantryman, I obviously say go for it. You have obviously been addressing the positive and negative aspects. Let's be honest, you are in much less danger in the Navy, but it still lurks. Many people out there don't like us so you are a target. However it does take a special person to sacrfice everything to defend the rights and lives of others. You've already done more than most will do during a lifetime. And as far as the leg goes....pain is temporary, pride is forever....chicks dig scars!!

Airborne, All the Way!!
3/505 PIR
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But, being a man is about excepting responsibilities, and keeping up with the ones you have. That is why I can't go. I've made a commitment to my girlfriend of 5 years (we live together) and my dogs. Although that does'nt seem like much, but it is my job to take care of them. With out me, my little family would fall apart, and I care about them too much to let that happen, or even running the risk of that happening. -Jay-

I can certainly respect your point of view. That's why I'm not making 3K per week tax free with Triple Canopy right now, although I certainly could. Like they said in the movie Dances with Wolves, "No man can tell another what to do." That said, while I'm not going over as a contractor, I did decide after 9/11 to go back into SF. Before the paper work was done (it took four months) we discovered my wife was pregnant. By this time we knew for sure we were headed for Afghanistan. My wife asked me what I was going to do, as I was not officially in the unit yet. I told her what else can I do? My then eight year old son knew I had given my word, and I had to set the example for him by living up to it. I also considered the danger to myself, and what would happen in my absence, but more importantly, thought of what might happen to THEM if none of us decided to go. I'd just dodged one bullet-my sister lives in Battery Park, two blocks from ground zero. The nose gear from one of the aircraft landed right in front of her building. For me it's a no-brainer. For others, it's definitely a tough decision.
We had a guy on my team in Afghanistan tryng to impress a female MP with a line from Blackhawk Down, about why we do what we do. The long and short is he said I just look them-they wouldn't understand. To me, it's one of the dumbest movie lines ever. My friends and neighbors DO know why, and what it takes. That's why they're not doing it themselves. Again, I think nothing less of anyone for their own decision. Every one weighs what's most important to them. My wife, kids, and yeah, even my crappy dog are all why I go.
Once a woman told me she didn't support the war, but really appreciated what I was doing for her. This statement pisses me off every time I hear it. I told her I'm doing this for three people, and if your last name ain't the same as mine, you ain't one of 'em.
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 03:31 PM UTC
If i have a chance to serve just a few weeks in a year in my old unit, i would very very happy. But in Singapore, u can only be part of 1 uniform service. Means if i am regular fire fighter, i am not liable for anymore reservist training or exercise or activation. i am seconded to the Civil Defence.
I think its stupid, but Singapore has a small population. If i were u, i ll do it...but i dont have screws in my leg and i run 10km 3 times a week plus i am 24 so u might want to think again
M60
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 03:21 PM UTC
Thanks to everybody for your replies. My wife is not thrilled about the idea, obviously. I am leaning against it as of now. I guess I did my service already. Nobody would expect me to do any more.
I did my duty under fire and now I am a firefighter. I will probably leave it to this generation. I still serve my country in the fire service. Why risk it any more than that?
After God my family comes next, so I think I'll devote my life to them.
Besides, my old army bones were really thinking I'd flipped for even considering the Navy. ( Nothing against the Navy, fellows )
Thanks again for all your replies.
-M60
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:17 PM UTC
DO IT! I got out of the Marines to settle down and have been missing it ever since! I just feel like what I do now isn't as important as what I did in the Marines. You're a firefighter so that's not really the case but if you feel that you should go for it! You know what the right thing is in your heart!