History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Recommended Reading Lists - Pacific War
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
I will start the reading list for WW2 Pacific Campaign(s) with the list of books available from the Chief, Military History (US Army) and Government Printing Office. NOTE: If you are in an Army unit (active, guard, reserve) you can order books thru your pubs account, rest need to order thu GPO website. Web sites are at end of list:

US Army in World War 2 (Some come as either hardback or soft cover)
Strategy and Command. 1962, CMH Pub 5-1.
The Fall of the Philippines. 1953, CMH 5-2.
Guadacanal: The First Offensive. 1949, CMH 5-3.
Victory in Papua. 1957, CMH Pub 5-4.
CARTWHEEL, The Reduction of Rabaul. 1959, CMH Pub 5-5.
Seizure of the Gilberts and Marshalls. 1955, CMH Pub 5-6.
Campaign in the Marianas. 1960, CMH Pub 5-7.
The Approach to the Philippines. 1953, CMH Pub 5-8.
Leyte: The Return to the Philippines. 1954, CMH Pub 5-9.
Triumph in the Philippines. 1963, CMH Pub 5-10.
Okinawa: The Last Battle. 1948, CMH 5-11.

The Technical Services
The Corps of Engineers: The War Against Japan. 1966, CMH 10-6.
The Medical Department: Medical Service in the War Against Japan. 1998, CMH 10-24.
The Quartermaster Corps: Operations in the War Against Japan. 1956, CMH Pub 10-14.

Special Studies
Chronology: 1941-1945. 1960, CMH 11-1.

Pictorial Record
The War Against Japan. 1952, CMH Pub 12-1.

Monographs & Other Studies
Papuan Campaign: The Buna-Sanananda Operation, 16 November 1942-23 January 1943. 1944, CMH Pub 100-1.
The Capture of Makin, 20-24 November 1943. 1946, CMH Pub 100-2.
The Admiralities: Operations of the 1st Cavalry Division, 29 February - 18 May 1944. 1945, CMH Pub 100-3.
Guam, Operations of the 77th Division, 21 July-10 August 1944. 1946, CMH Pub 100-5.
Small Unit Actions. 1946, CMH Pub 100-14.
Command Decisions. 1960, CMH Pub 70-7.
U.S. Army Special Operations in World War II. 1992, CMH Pub 70-42.

Reports of General MacArthur
The Campaigns of MasArthur in the Pacific, VOL I. 1966, CMH Pub 13-3.
MacArthue in Japan: The Occupation, Miliratu Phase, VOL I Supplement. 1966, CMH Pub 13-4.
Japanese Operations on the Southwest Pacific Area, VOL II, Part I. 1966, CMH Pub 13-1.
Japanese Operations in teh Southwest Pacific Area, VOL II, Part II. 1966, CMH 13-2.

The dates after the book titles is the date of original publication. Most have had numerous reprints.

GPO's Online Bookstore: http://bookstore.gpo.gov or call (202) 512-1800, or you can go to USAPA (Army Publications Agency) website: www.usapa.army.mil and click on section entitled "Publications ordering for the General Public."

You can get a catalog for all CMH pubs at: www.army.mil/cmb-pg/catalog/brochure.htm.

Enjoy

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 06:22 AM UTC
Jeff--well done as usual. For other participants, we want to know what other books you have on the Pacific. We will then petition Jim to establish a heading similar to the Armor Forum top so you can find a recommend list of books on aspects of 20th Century Warfare. For the time being, confine your comments to the Pacific. We want to get a handle on this bear before we surge forward.
thanks again to Jeff for kick starting the effort.
DJ
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 03:26 AM UTC
DJ,
I've been TAD for the last month with no access to a computer. Didn't realize how much I enjoyed this site until I couldn't get to it.
Anyway, This is a great idea. Are all aspects of the Pacific war fair game i.e. land,sea,air ?

v/r,
Cob
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,
I've been TAD for the last month with no access to a computer. Didn't realize how much I enjoyed this site until I couldn't get to it.
Anyway, This is a great idea. Are all aspects of the Pacific war fair game i.e. land,sea,air ?

v/r,
Cob

COB--good to have you back. All aspects of the Pacific War are fair game. I am catagorizing my list by subject matter (battle, campaign, leaders, etc.) .I trust this idea will catch hold so we can assemble a usable list of documents. By the way, check out the Rivet Forum for a look at the USMC M4 I am constructing.
DJ
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

COB--good to have you back. All aspects of the Pacific War are fair game. I am catagorizing my list by subject matter (battle, campaign, leaders, etc.) .I trust this idea will catch hold so we can assemble a usable list of documents. By the way, check out the Rivet Forum for a look at the USMC M4 I am constructing.
DJ

Looks great DJ. What color scheme are you using? The Marines had some pretty colorful patterns on Iwo and Okinawa. I'm home for a short time between travel but I will work on the Naval aspects of the Pacific campaign.
v/r,
Cob
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DJ

Looks great DJ. What color scheme are you using? The Marines had some pretty colorful patterns on Iwo and Okinawa. I'm home for a short time between travel but I will work on the Naval aspects of the Pacific campaign.
v/r,
Cob

COB--I painted her last night using Tamiya Acrylic XF-62 Green and their Desert Storm Sand enamel. I think she is really coming along and should have the pictures posted of the final model on Monday. Still placing the tools and finishing the .50. Look forward to seeing your list. I am working up mine as we speak and should complete shortly.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 05:37 AM UTC
Jeff has defintely covered most government -produced books about the war in the Pacific.
I'm surprised he neglected the Leavenworth Papers produced by the Combat Studies Institute at the Command and General Staff college. Here are a few I have -- all should be available from the GPO.

Leavenworth Paper No. 2: "Nomonhan: Japanese-Soviet Tactical Combat, 1939"
No. 7: "August Storm: The Soviet 1945 Strategic Offensive in Manchuria"
No. 8: "August Storm: Soviet Tactical and Operational Combat in Manchuria, 1945"
No. 9: "Defending the Driniumor: Covering Force Operations in New Guinea, 1944"
No. 18: "Japan's Battle in Okinawa, April-June 1945"

Let me also offer a few titles that I have found useful from a modeling standpoint -- in that they have lots of photos.

"Tank Battles of the Pacific War 1941-1945" by Steven J. Zaloga. Concord Publications. Nice all-round photo history of armor in the Pacific. Tons of photos and color plates.

"The War in the Pacific: From Pearl Harbor to Okinawa 1941-1945" by Jonathan Gawne. Greenhill Books and Stackpole Books. Part of the "G.I.: The illustrated History of the American Soldier, His Uniform and His Equipment" series. Lots of pics -- some in color -- of GIs, uniforms and equipment.

"War in the Pacific: Pearl Harbor to Tokyo Bay" edited by Bernard C. Nalty. Salamander Books. A big, ole "coffee table" book chock full of color photos of actual uniforms, equipment and small arms from all forces in the Pacific war. One of my favorite references.

"The Forgotten War: A Pictorial History of World War II in Alaska and Northwestern Canada" (volumes 1 and 2) by Stan Cohen. Pictorial Histories Publishing. The Aleutians, the Alaska Highway, Lend-Lease aircraft to the Soviet Union, etc., these books are a treasure trove of photos, history and anecdotes from the war in the north Pacific. One of the least-known and lesser-modeled campaigns of WWII.

"The Capture of Attu: Tales of World War II in Alaska" as told by the men who fought there. Alaska Northwest Publishing. Reprinted first-had accounts first published in the Infantry Journal in 1944. Great stories, photos and maps. Includes one account by Cpl. Dashiell Hammett, who later wrote "The Maltese Falcon" and other fiction.

Just a few selections from my collection to keep the ball roling ...
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff has defintely covered most government -produced books about the war in the Pacific.
I'm surprised he neglected the Leavenworth Papers produced by the Combat Studies Institute at the Command and General Staff college. Here are a few I have -- all should be available from the GPO.

Leavenworth Paper No. 2: "Nomonhan: Japanese-Soviet Tactical Combat, 1939"
No. 7: "August Storm: The Soviet 1945 Strategic Offensive in Manchuria"
No. 8: "August Storm: Soviet Tactical and Operational Combat in Manchuria, 1945"
No. 9: "Defending the Driniumor: Covering Force Operations in New Guinea, 1944"
No. 18: "Japan's Battle in Okinawa, April-June 1945"

Let me also offer a few titles that I have found useful from a modeling standpoint -- in that they have lots of photos.

"Tank Battles of the Pacific War 1941-1945" by Steven J. Zaloga. Concord Publications. Nice all-round photo history of armor in the Pacific. Tons of photos and color plates.

"The War in the Pacific: From Pearl Harbor to Okinawa 1941-1945" by Jonathan Gawne. Greenhill Books and Stackpole Books. Part of the "G.I.: The illustrated History of the American Soldier, His Uniform and His Equipment" series. Lots of pics -- some in color -- of GIs, uniforms and equipment.

"War in the Pacific: Pearl Harbor to Tokyo Bay" edited by Bernard C. Nalty. Salamander Books. A big, ole "coffee table" book chock full of color photos of actual uniforms, equipment and small arms from all forces in the Pacific war. One of my favorite references.

"The Forgotten War: A Pictorial History of World War II in Alaska and Northwestern Canada" (volumes 1 and 2) by Stan Cohen. Pictorial Histories Publishing. The Aleutians, the Alaska Highway, Lend-Lease aircraft to the Soviet Union, etc., these books are a treasure trove of photos, history and anecdotes from the war in the north Pacific. One of the least-known and lesser-modeled campaigns of WWII.

"The Capture of Attu: Tales of World War II in Alaska" as told by the men who fought there. Alaska Northwest Publishing. Reprinted first-had accounts first published in the Infantry Journal in 1944. Great stories, photos and maps. Includes one account by Cpl. Dashiell Hammett, who later wrote "The Maltese Falcon" and other fiction.

Just a few selections from my collection to keep the ball roling ...

Bob--nice list. Once again, we want to accumulate as detailed a listing as possible then categorize it. So, the more specific contributors are the easier to perform that sectioning drill will be. As an aside, did you read the Attu book? I tried and gave up. It is written in a 1940ish style of writing that I found distracting. I need to look-up the author of the best book I recall reading about the Aleutian Island campaign. I remember the title as "The Thousand Mile War." I forget the author. Well written account.
DJ
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As an aside, did you read the Attu book? I tried and gave up. It is written in a 1940ish style of writing that I found distracting.

I enjoyed it -- especially the accounts of combat. I've been to Adak and can relate to the descriptions of hidden creeks, digging into tundra, muskeg, etc. The weather literally does change every five minutes. I can't imagine how they fought a war out there. As an aside, an excellent documentary film on this was produced by John Huston: "Report from the Aleutians" -- it was classified for many years allegedly because the Army didn't want the folks back home to know just how tough and raw combat in the Aleutians really was.

Quoted Text

I need to look-up the author of the best book I recall reading about the Aleutian Island campaign. I remember the title as "The Thousand Mile War." I forget the author. Well written account.

Yes! Excellent book. I have an autographed paperback copy of it somewhere. The author was Brian Garfield -- I believe he was a civilian historian or public affairs officer at Elmendorf Air Force Base (memory is the second thing to go -- can't remember the first). I do remember he was a helluva nice guy.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 02:32 PM UTC
HP - You got on the Leavenwoth Papers. I have a some at home and at work and have read all of them. Just didn't go far enough thru the library at work.

Good call.

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
We need to keep beating the drums and get folks to produce titles. I will have my list done by tomorrow night.
DJ
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 08:00 AM UTC
Early war books;
"CORRIGIDOR the end of the line" by Eric Morris
"But Not in Shame" by John Toland
"BATAAN our last ditch" by John Whitman
"BATTLE FOR BATAAN an eyewitness account" by Col. Richard Mallonee
"Hero of Bataan story of Gen Jonathan Wainwright" by Duane Schultz
"Lieutenant Ramsey's War"by Edwin Ramsey
"The Ragged Rugged Warriors" by Martin Caidin
The war journal of Major Damon "Rocky" Gause" by Maj. Gause
and two other books which I have lent to someone ,the most violent account of fighting by the marines in 1st hand accounts "Into the rising sun" I cannot remember the author but it can be gotten from the military book club and the classic "with the old breed" by EugeneB "Sledgehammer" Sledge
BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 08:06 AM UTC
Also forgot, in this month " Armor" the professional development bulletin of the armor branch. There is an article called "Executing the Double Retrograde Delay: the 194th tank battalion in action during the luzon defensive campaign 1941-42" by Maj. William Vandenbergh
brian
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also forgot, in this month " Armor" the professional development bulletin of the armor branch. There is an article called "Executing the Double Retrograde Delay: the 194th tank battalion in action during the luzon defensive campaign 1941-42" by Maj. William Vandenbergh
brian

Brian--I agree that is one superb article on a little rercognized achievement of American arms.
DJ
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC
I finally compiled my book list for the Paciifc, however I left it at home. It will have to wait till tonight.

As far as the 194th Armor, which worked in conjunction with the 26th Cavalry (Philipine Scouts). The activities of these two units and the 193rd Armor are covered in some detail in the official US Army history, listed elsewhere in this forum. There is an interesting photo in the book showing horse-mounted troopers from the 26th CAV withdrawing past an M-3 Stuart belonging to the 194th. Would make an interesting diorama, if I dan get the horse and rider.

Speaking of Armor magazine, last night while digging through the attic for my books I found old copies of Armor. I pulled out one in particular, that discusses the26th CAV.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 04:19 PM UTC
All,

Here is my library on World War II in the Pacific -

Reference Books: These may cover subjects that involve more that just the Pacific Theater, but may be useful to modelers, gamers and history students

"Pacific Destiny, The Story of America in the Western Sea from the Early 1800s to the 1980s", Edwin P. Hoyt, Norton Publishing, 1981.
"The Rising Sun, The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945", John Toland, Random House, 1970.
"Why the Allies Won", Richard Overy, Norton Press, 1995.
"Clear for Action", Foster Hailey & Milton Lancelot, Bonanza Books, 1964.
"Battleships of the US Navy in World War II", Stefan Terzibaschitsch, Bonanza Books, 1977.
"Dreadnought, A History of the Modern Batteship", Richard Hough, MacMillian Publishing, 1964, 1975
"Log of the Liberators, The Illustrated Combat Record of the B-24 Liberator...", Steve Birdsall, Doubleday, 1973.
"Flying Fortress, The Illustrated Biography of the B-17s ....", Edward Jablonski, Doubleday, 1965.
"Air War, An Illustrated History of Air Power in the Second World War" (4-part set), Edward Jablonski, Doubleday, 1971.
World War II (Series), Time-Life Book, 1983 - Series covering all theaters, including the home fronts. A lot of good photos for modelers and a good overview of the war. Pacific theater titles are: "Prelude to War", "The Rising Sun", "War in the Outposts","War under the Pacific", "The Road to Tokyo", "Return to the Philipines", "The Secret War", "Bombers over Japan", "Prisoners of War", "The Commandos", "Japan at War", "The Fall of Japan".

Discussions of the Attack on Pearl Harbor:

"Pearl Harbor, The Verdict of History", Gordon W. Prange, Donald Goldstein & Katherine Dillion, McGraw Hill, 1986.
"Infamy, Pearl Harbor and Its Aftermath", John Toland, Berkley Press, 1972.

Island Fighting and associated campaigns:

"Tarawa 1943, A Hell of a Way to Die", Derrick Wright, Windrow & Greene, 1996.
"Wake Island, The Heroic Gallant Fight", Duane Schultz, St. Martin's Press, 1978.
"Guadalcanal Diary", Richard Tregaskis, Random House, 1943. (A classic)
"The Campaign for Guadalcanal", Jack Coggins, Doubleday, 1972. (Similiar to book "Spearheading D-Day" discussed in "Marines in Normandy" forum)

Air War in the Pacific:

"Zero, The Story of Japan's Air War in the Pacific, 1941-1945", Masatake Okumiya & Jiro Horikoshi with Martin Caidan

Naval War in the Pacific:

"Left to Die, The Tradegy of the USS Juneau", Don Kurzman, Pocket Books, 1994
"A Glorious Way to Die, The Kamikaze Mission of the Battleship Yamato, April 1945", Russell Spurr, New Market Press, 1981.
"But Not in Shame, The Six Months After Pearl Harbor", John Toland, Random House, 1961.
"The Lonely Ships, The Life and Death of the Asiatic Fleet", Edwin P. Hoyt, McKay Press, 1976.
"Pacific War Diary, 1942-1945", James J. Fahey, Berkley Press, 1963. (Another classic written by a seaman from a US cruiser)

Miscellaneous:

"Lonely Vigil, Coastwatchers of the Solomons", Walter Lord, Viking Press, 1977.

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 07:07 AM UTC
Jeff--I compared lists and have several to offer:

At Dawn We Slept by Prange, et al.
The American Caesar by Manchester
Corregidor:Story of a Fortress by Belote
Typhon of Steel by Belote
Eagle Against The Rising Sun by Specter
But Not in Shame and Infamy by Toland
A Sinister Twiligh:the Fall of Singapore by Barber
Rape of Nanking by ?
History of the US Navy in World War II by Morrison
History of the US Marine Corps in WW II by Crowl

I will add more based on my master list which is at home. Get back with you. I am also writing to Jim to see how we can organize this one to start off.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2002 - 01:29 PM UTC
"Rape of Nanking" was written by a young lady of Chinese ancestory, saw her on a history show. Very unpopular book in Japan. Kinda shows what happens in a country with too-much influence from the military and the "dark side" of the Samurai spirit.

If I remember, Morrison's history of the US Navy is quite a tome

BSPRU
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
"War in the Pacific:pearl harbor to tokyo bay" by Salamnder press (a great reference book for uniforms)
"The Armed Forces of WW2" and "Naval, Marine, and Airforce Uniforms of WW2" by Mollo
"Imperial JapaneseArmy and Navy Uniforms and Equiptment" by Tadao Nakata
"Two Ocean War"by ?
brian
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC
Brian--"Two Ocean War" is Morrison's book kind of an abbreviated version of his USN in World War II classic.
DJ
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 05:25 AM UTC
WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a list of books !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some excellent reference & research can surely come from
this thread. ...........military books are by far the only thing I have that
totally out-weigh's the money I spend on my scale modeling supples, tool's and
models themselves . " There's nothing like a well written historical military book, that just
pull's you into the pages and grab's all your attention and lures your imagination, as if you are actually there ! "
HERE ARE A FEW MORE FOR THE PTO LIST:

Spearhead: World War II History of the 5th Marine Division by Howard M. Conner.

First Battalion of the 28th Marines on Iwo Jima: A Day-by-Day History from Personal Accounts and Official Reports by Robert E. Allen.

Follow Me! The Story of the Second Marine Division in World War II .

G.I. Series Vol. 21: The Marines in World War II, From Pearl Harbor to Tokyo Bay.

- ralph

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 12:26 AM UTC
Ralph--Very nice listing. You will see that shortly we are going to categorize the list so people can more easily find a topic and related works. Thanks for the contribution.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ralph--Very nice listing. You will see that shortly we are going to categorize the list so people can more easily find a topic and related works. Thanks for the contribution.

Hi DJ - How have you been ? ....I hope all is well.
The categorization is an excellent idea and is definitely the right
way to go about this. " If I can do anything at all to help you and Ranger74 out, please
don't hesitate to ask .....I'd be glad to help ." You can email me also if need be at:
[email protected]

- ralph
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2002 - 05:46 AM UTC
Ralph--once again, well done
We'll be calling on you shortly.
thanks
DJ