_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
The worst model you've ever encountered?
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 07:41 AM UTC
We all have our favorite models, but what is the absolute worst model kit you've ever had the displeasure of encountering?

I've goofed up a model or two myself because of my own mistakes, but I'm curious about the kits out there that are just plain "stinkers" because of lousy moulding/casting, poor directions, bad fit, etc.

The question covers everything from armor, aircraft, ships, figures, you name it.
Thanks.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC
Tied for the worst: Halcyon's Alien Warrior with Egg. Absolutely horribly fitting parts. This gets a little bit of slack because they aren't (weren't) one of the mainstream companies. All the parts had extensive fit problems and required much filling and sanding to get right. This was doubly necessary give the smoothness of the exoskelton along the joint areas in the movie creature.

So the worst model I ever worked on was the Testor's B-2 Stealth in 1/72 scale. The plane is in 6 major parts, upper and lower center portion and outer wing sections. Along the leading edge of all these part is a gap of almost a quarter inch. I had to use wood filler putty to close this up, epoxy would have been too costly and plastic putties would have melted the kit. There was a major warpage along the starboard edge of hte center section that required extensive puttying to raise it flush with the outer wings. The outer wing sections and ceter sections had poor mating surfaces as well. Sanding these joints kept breaking the bond between the assemblies. To top it off, the walkway decals were way too long to be easily laid down straight and wound up scrapped.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 08:01 AM UTC
Zvezda's T60 light tank was the absolute dog's breakfast!
The Italeri 1/72 Yellow box Corsair and the old Revell Germany ( old Matchbox molds?) Me262 NO interior and the half torso of the pilot figure molded into the right hand fuselage side..also are in the running.

Most all of the AMT starwars and star trek kits had HUGE fit issues with the molds by the time I got to them, the Imperial Star Destroyer leaps quickly to mind. More gap filling CA than plastic on that one!

Mike
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 08:36 AM UTC
1). anything by Nitto
2). Lo Models figures
3). most Italeri figures
4). ICM figures
5). anything by Lindberg
6). the newer Italeri armor

Chris Pig no.1
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 08:48 AM UTC
The early Tamiya Panther form the late 60's is the worst one I have ever tried to build. And to think I spent $20 on it...
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,607 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:09 AM UTC
heller product.they probably needed a name and said "what can we add to hell?"
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:13 AM UTC
I'll second Mike vote for the Zvezda T-60. A total waste of manufacturing materials.

I'll refute Chris' vote for anything by Lindberg. If you did any one of the Jurrasic Park original dinosaurs (T-Rex, Raptor, Spitter), they were outstanding model kits. They also mixed a couple of ancient dinosaur kits into the mix (Stegasaurus and Corithiosaur(?)) that were not nice.

Also if any of you remember the old 1/32 scale M-46 Patton tank that was motorized and the turret went back and forth. It was a neat kit that was well designed. Nothing compared to today's standards, but was a top notch kit in the 60s.
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:16 AM UTC
I've always managed to muddle through most of the models I start. But there is one that I flat gave up on. The Dragon KrettenKrad. Poor fit, microscopic parts, and track that is an unbelieveable bear to assemble. It sits 70% completed and will stay that way until ... hell freezes over?

Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:49 AM UTC
GSP, Maybe you could make a dio with a little mechanic ready to shoot the KettenKrad. :-)
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1). anything by Nitto
2). Lo Models figures
3). most Italeri figures
4). ICM figures
5). anything by Lindberg
6). the newer Italeri armor

Chris Pig no.1

I would have to agree with Pak40, totally a disgrace to the hobby!
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 10:18 AM UTC
The 1/48th F-82 by HobbyCraft from Canada. I think I'll just rework the 1/72 Mongram kit until Tamiya makes a decent '82.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 11:58 AM UTC
1/72 M-551 by airfix. I wouldn't wipe with this thing (probably wouldn't be a good idea even if I liked the kit )
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:07 PM UTC
Testor's F2H-2 Banshee... Worst kit ever !
Awful fit. No detail... there's no cockpit!!! The main body of the plane is made up of less than 7 parts... Awful!

YodaMan
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:50 PM UTC
The OV-10 Bronco in 1/48 from Testors was a waste of a perfect subject.
No cockpit detail at all,awful prop blades,poor overall molding.
I was really disappointed
Maybe someone will get it right one day.
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 12:57 PM UTC
But you guys are complaining about 40 year old Hawk kits reboxed by Testors. Not fair to complain about ancient plastic kits and expecting 2000 standards.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But you guys are complaining about 40 year old Hawk kits reboxed by Testors. Not fair to complain about ancient plastic kits and expecting 2000 standards.

Sorry... it was just a shock to me, ok?

Aside from that I'd say Halcyon's Attacking Alien warrior. I'm still too depressed about the bad fit to finish the darn thing!

YodaMan
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 02:22 PM UTC
At least you haven't had to work with the chrome plated versions. They were the dominant reissues when I was a kid. Of course, this is before many of us knew that you were supposed to scrape the chrome from the edges before cementing.
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does that include the OV-10 I'm refering too?
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Does that include the OV-10 I'm refering too?

Yes, although the reissue does not include the wingtip Sidewinder air-to-air missiles that the original came with. Testors reworked the wings. The Hawk one I used to have and recently traded away was chromed with Sidewinders and came with "Air America" type markings. It was a very interesting variant. Other old 1/48 scale Hawk kits that used to be chromed were the P-51D, P-47, F8F Bearcat, MiG-15. Some of these have been released by Testors with nicer decals and no chrome. The chromed Bearcat I have (with SEA decals) is a very nice kit for its age.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 03:33 PM UTC
Those little Polish Tankettes that came out a few years ago. I tried, gave up, gave it away in pieces. Don't recall the Mfr. of those kits, some Eastern European start-up... Worst crap I've ever seen.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 07:06 PM UTC
Tamiya's figure set of 4 German soldiers.....and it's still on the market today!!!
And a lot of figures by a company called New Hope Design....they have a lot of good figures but some that just look like lumps of metal with a seperate gun....this led us to call it No Hope Design.
And I agree with the fellow that said anything Heller.......LOL@something to add to hell...great line!!!
Happy halloween everyone!!
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 07:39 PM UTC
Old kit; Nitto M-4 high-speed tractor. I actually thought I could build this dogdue to my superior modeling skills HA HA HA when it was all over I was whipped and the plastic was still standing strong, impervious to any correction, sanding, or putty I could concoct.
Newer kit; a German artillery piece from AEF, this time I knew better; reboxed it and sold it down the river before I fell to deep into the abyss.

Coop
Dmd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
entire network: 430 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 10:07 PM UTC
my list:
Tamiya
german para's.
German army infantry
U.s. army infantry

terrible things !!!

want my money back !!!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 12:14 AM UTC
Alan Su-76 yes that was crap waste of plastic beads. Old Nitto crap again. Agree with Rob on the Lindburg Dinos as they are good. Except for the Stegosaurus and Corythosaurs.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 01, 2002 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Aside from that I'd say Halcyon's Attacking Alien warrior. I'm still too depressed about the bad fit to finish the darn thing!

YodaMan

Is that the one sort of running in a crouched position with the translucent carapace?
 _GOTOTOP