_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Are Optivisors any good?
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:12 PM UTC
Does anyone use a thing called optivisors? If so which one is the best? I am wanting to do smaller scale armor and I want to save my eye site :-) Here's a link to various versions

http://www.squadron.com/SearchResults.asp?ScaleList=everything&TypeList=everything&ManuList=everything&Key=optivisor&Submit=Go
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:25 PM UTC
Howdy 'Zod,

I have an optivisor, actually, I believe mine is a 'knock-off' of the Optivisor. It has the standard headband and visor arrangement, plus a little lite mounted on top of the visor itself, but more importantly {for me } is that it has interchangable stereoscopic lenses that you can combine in different arrangements for the necessary magnification you require.....

Anyway, to answer your question, I use it when I take my modeling outside on the deck, or away from my modeling desk. When I'm at my desk I use one of my lighted magnifying arm thingies.......

Tread
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:31 PM UTC
Tread
Thanks bud I am back in a Freightliner now The lighting in the bunk sucks Not as good as the Volvo was
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 01:36 PM UTC
I also use the cheaper knock-offs and at 52.5, they are an essential part of my hobby. Been using them for about for about seven years now and I can actually see what I'm doing. :-) Kind of weird when updating the bifocals lenses on my regular glasses and took/takes some time to get used to.

Tough getting old.

Far less headaches now as well.
House
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 02:11 PM UTC
I find the optivisor heavy and limiting... very narrow peripheral vision. I found on of these very lightweight visors worn by people who assemble small electronic components to be a much better solution. Ther is no heavy overhead plastic visor-like thing to deal with. You can look all around and refocus through the lenses with ease. The weigh absolutely nothing and because my head is shaved clean i do not freak my wife out when she walks in the room and see that shining dome poking through the rim of that optivsor.

Try MicrMark Tools online. The used to have that visor.

You could consider trifocals... if you wear glasses. I have those fancy German made lenses... no lines!

Regards,
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 02:16 PM UTC
Absolutely a must have IMO, they really bring the world into focus so to speak. lol I've got a cheap knock off pair until I go with the better set of Donegan's, still trying to find out which plates to get for them though.
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
entire network: 761 Posts
KitMaker Network: 262 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 02:22 PM UTC
Once in awhile, I use my OptiLoops. They are basically regular glasses with a set of scopes affixed. They are the same type surgeons and dentists use. Highly recommended.
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 03:11 PM UTC
Absolutely essential for the work I do ... maybe because the 'ol peepers don't quite function like they used to. But indispensible, nonetheless. As soon as I hit the workbench my Optivisors go on my head. Funny, after using them for several years I forget on occasion that I have them on. I've actually sat down for a relaxing few minutes of conversation with my wife before realizing I hadn't taken them off. I can't wait for the designer-style Optivior to hit the market .... the plain-gray never seems to complete my ensemble!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 03:16 PM UTC
Couldn't model without one.......
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 04:14 PM UTC
The Eyeballs, Mk I need all the help they can get. I don't sit at my desk without my optivisors, whether I'm still in contacts or wearing my Eyeglasses, Near and Far, Mk II.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 04:18 PM UTC
I use a cheap knock off as well ( I think I paid $8.00cdn at "Princess Auto") I run around all day with them on my head and they don't bug me.
Another idea may be "reading glasses" @ the dollar stores, pick up a few different strengths.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 06:14 PM UTC
here is my view on the optivizor

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/127
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 12:38 AM UTC
Yes, I use them a lot. I purchased mine from VLS. I also have a lighted magnifying lamp . One needs all the help available at 55+.
capnjock
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 12:54 AM UTC
Here's one of the ones I use.....
slips over the eye glasses, and doesn't cut off vision.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0017553315395a&navCount=6&podId=0017553&parentId=cat20534&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20431&catalogCode=IF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20534&hasJS=true

hopefully link works.

Also go through the fly tying section if you are looking for fine lead wire, sold by the spools....
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 01:06 AM UTC
I use one and yes it is somewhat awkward at times.
Focus range is very acute.
Another useful tool are the magnifying type (reading) glasses that you can purchase at most all drug stores. Usually nearthe pharmacy or magazine section. They come in magnifications of I believe +1(weakest) through +3.5(strongest) and range around $12-$20.00 per pair. I have several pairs +1.25, +2.5 and +3.5.
I wear glasses anyway so wearing these for extreme closeup work is no big deal to me and if you accidently damage them they're cheap to replace.
Best regards,
Gary
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 01:37 AM UTC
Hi Chad,
I fI remember correctly, you don't wear glasses. If so, try this first. Head down to a drug store and pick up a pair of reading glasses. A lot cheaper and I'll bet a let more comfortable that the optivisor. they should have a wide range od magnification powers to try so grab a book, magizine or something else handy in the store to act as your model and fine which magnification works best for you. If you do wear glasses to work on your models I have another suggestion for you to think about. they're clip on magnifiers. They're made for the folks that tie flies. I got mine at a local fishing supply store bit ther're available from Micro Mark too. They should cost less at a store than from Micro Mark though. Mine ran be $10.00.
Ther;re the same idea as the reading glasses. Best thing for me is that they sit right up against your glasses so no depth perception problems to deal with.
Craig
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 02:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies dudes Craig I don't wear glasses at all I am wanting to build smaller scale stuff as well as doing some 1/35 figures I can see the detail on the smaller scale stuff ok But trying to paint it is a different matter
Also on the Freightliners the bunk lights aren't as good as the ones on the Volvo I was in for 1.5 years I will try the generic reading glasses first and see if they help
bodag
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 21 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 03:13 AM UTC
I couldn't live withou my Optivisor. Be sure you get something with glass lenses.
They are heavier, but provide a better image.
I do find the optivsor a tad heavy, and will continue to look for something lighter that will work around my glasses.
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 727 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC
I got one recently and now I can't model without it. My eyes at 43 are according to the eye doc not showing any age degradation for close up work but I know I can't focus on small stuff like I could 20 years ago. Too much eye strain so I use the visor now. I don't need it for everything but for detail work on 35th scale and any work on 72nd it is great. I don't mind the weight of it at all (I don't have the attached light on mine).

Like everyone I highly recommend you get something it makes a world of difference.

EasyOff
Visit this Community
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 289 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 03:41 AM UTC
I need optivisors, I have a couple lenses depending on how close I want to get. The more powerful the lense, the closer you have to work to your face.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 03:45 AM UTC
I have the Optivisor brand, Its sturdy and well made. But price seems expensive (luckily mine was free)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 04:40 AM UTC
I have one,if you recall the picture I had once of me and my optivisor.
I bought a light which clips onto it,and that is quite handy.If you have never used one,you will get used to it quick enough.One warning,dont tighten the headband too tight,I notice I get "nimbskull quickly.Some day soon I will discover a way to tighten the visor lock knobs just right,so I can nod my head fast,and have the magnifying part swing down like a welder's mask.
(++) (++)
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 05:26 AM UTC
I couldnt do without them , especially painting detailso n figures . A MUST HAVE
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 07:38 AM UTC
My dad gave me his a few years back. I don't know who made them or what power (i have a little number 4 in upper right corner of lenses) but I absolutely could not model without them. I do a lot of 350 scale ships and These enable me to do the PE for them. HIghly recommended I have good light so I don't need the light option, but if I worked ina dark area I sure woud have one.
 _GOTOTOP