_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Singapore / 新加坡
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
My 1st water dio
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 481 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 01:18 AM UTC
Here's some pix. Pls feel free to comment.

Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 01:22 AM UTC
Ooops..Try again..

There's a few more shots in my gallery...
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,396 Posts
KitMaker Network: 940 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 01:54 AM UTC
Wow Wow WOW!! Looking good Psyfool. Do you have a title for this dio? I especially like the part where the soldier's legs are half submerged in the water. Nicely done
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow Wow WOW!! Looking good Psyfool. Do you have a title for this dio? I especially like the part where the soldier's legs are half submerged in the water. Nicely done

i think I shd title it "Frostbite"...The dead guy on the tank sure have frostbite!! :-)
eerie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 655 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 12:20 PM UTC
Frostbite. Yup thats Russian campaign. I read some veterens lost their lips and eyelids
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 02:47 PM UTC
Ouch.. the driver of that tank made a wrong turn and landed into the river Frostbite!

Somethings wrong though, is the white colour of the tank camo or snow? Because if it's snow, the dead guy should also be covered in snow. Unless those germans pulled him out.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 03:26 PM UTC
Great dio! The water effect adds a lot to it.

Ike, during the winter, all sides (German,Russian and American) gave their vehicles a 'white-wash'. It is sort of like a camouflage to hide the vehicles in the snow.

blackeast19
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 394 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 06:23 PM UTC
Truely a great job. Thanks for sharing!
Was the material needed for this water dio easy to work with? I believed you mentioned you bought it from Hobby Point?

Cheers!
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

during the winter, all sides (German,Russian and American) gave their vehicles a 'white-wash'. It is sort of like a camouflage to hide the vehicles in the snow.

Thanks Danny for your enlightenment
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 03:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ouch.. the driver of that tank made a wrong turn and landed into the river Frostbite!

Somethings wrong though, is the white colour of the tank camo or snow? Because if it's snow, the dead guy should also be covered in snow. Unless those germans pulled him out.

This is wat happened to that poor fellow. The tank got shot or something and landed in the swamp. The krauts got onto the tank to make sure everyone was dead. One of them carries a stick grenade to drop into the tank. Then this poor fellow (2 of them actually), tried to make a run for it and got shot in the back. The other guy (barely visible), was shot while trying to climb out. That explains why he got no snow on him. The white coloring supposed to be part white wash and a bit of snow.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Truely a great job. Thanks for sharing!
Was the material needed for this water dio easy to work with? I believed you mentioned you bought it from Hobby Point?

Cheers!

For first timers, it's quite difficult. Make sure u don't heat it too long as it will start to produce smoke. My whole kitchen was filled with smoke when I was doing it. It took only awhile to melt and u have to quickly pour it onto the base. Dries up quite fast too. Also, make sure u prepare the base properly first. U need to seal off the sides to hold the 'water' in. I had some problem with this and the 'Water' leaked thru gaps. So as u can see, the edges are a bit unsightly.
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 03:45 AM UTC
Haha.. what a story behind this Dio.
Hmm.. as for the edges, is it possible to trim it down by actually cutting it? How's the texture of the "water" after using this product? Has it harden up or does it feel rubbery..
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 04:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Haha.. what a story behind this Dio.
Hmm.. as for the edges, is it possible to trim it down by actually cutting it? How's the texture of the "water" after using this product? Has it harden up or does it feel rubbery..

I did trim the edges with a cutter, but still not very neat. As for the texture, it's hard but also feels rubbery at the same time but more to hard. I still think that there shd be some ripples on the water surface. I read that I can use a heat gun to do this, even now. But I think better not as I might wreck it instead of making it better. Oh, well, maybe the next project
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 05:32 PM UTC
I think it's not that good to use a heat gun though. You won't be able to control the heat. Furthermore.. if you use it too close to your figs.. they might melt too.

Yup.. try it next time instead. Maybe do a dio with a bridge across a river or something.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it's not that good to use a heat gun though. You won't be able to control the heat. Furthermore.. if you use it too close to your figs.. they might melt too.

Yup.. try it next time instead. Maybe do a dio with a bridge across a river or something.

I'll take up your advise and not do anything stupid..Next time..
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 390 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 10:42 PM UTC
nice dio bro...well time for u to share it wif me...so how u do it?
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 12:54 AM UTC
Erm... before answering Danial on how you go about building your dio (which I would love to know too),

Do you guys usually glue your vehicles down to the base of your Dios? (My Nam dio almost complete, but not sure if to glue it down to the base. I've previously been glueing my kits down to the bases to prevent them from falling off)
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 02:05 AM UTC
i used white glue to play safe...coz once it dries up, its transparent...
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

nice dio bro...well time for u to share it wif me...so how u do it?

I tink I already explained to Dan earlier on. But basically, theoretically it's simple. Just heat up and it will melt quite fast. Don't overheat. Then pour onto the pre-prepared base. Make sure the sides are sealed tight to hold in the water. Shd do it layer by layer and not pour everything at one go. Mine took about 3 layers as it's not very deep. The base shd be colored accordingly..If u want to depict murky water, paint it lighter brown nearer the shore and darker brown further off shore to give illusion of depth. Near the edges of the shore I paint a bit of green to look like moss or algae. Add in debris also into the water. Ripples i don't know how to make. Must read up more.
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Erm... before answering Danial on how you go about building your dio (which I would love to know too),

Do you guys usually glue your vehicles down to the base of your Dios? (My Nam dio almost complete, but not sure if to glue it down to the base. I've previously been glueing my kits down to the bases to prevent them from falling off)

Nope. I don't. I usually place my vehicles when the groundwork is still wet. This is so that i can make the tank tracks etc. When the groundwork dries up, it sort of holds the vehicles in place.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
how abt figures then? what u do?
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

how abt figures then? what u do?

As my bases are usually made of plastercine, I just press them in and they will stay put. Sometimes I do put a bit of superglue if the base is made of something else.
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 04:14 AM UTC
plastercine base? u mean the one children play ard with?...i learn sumthing new...
Psyfool
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

plastercine base? u mean the one children play ard with?...i learn sumthing new...

I tihnk we were all chidren b4!! So should be familiar with it!!..I believe this is the best medium to make base from. So troublesome to use plaster and all those stuff. Glad to share my tips
Danial
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 04:20 AM UTC
thank u very very much...coz i've been sufferin using plaster..haha...
thanx for the tip...
btw, how abt the clay-type plasticine?
 _GOTOTOP