_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What does your spouse think?
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 12:35 AM UTC
I've had this discussion with some of my modeling friends and thought I would bring it up here.
What kind of reaction do you get from your spouse when they see your latest model? When I was doing just armor, my wife was very complimentary, but not real interested in the subject matter. After I started doing figures, she showed lots more interest in what I was doing. My theory is that she can relate more to a model of a person than she ever could to a tank. Go figure (no pun intended!). In talking with my friends, the common response from their wives was "nice blue plane...nice green tank...etc.. The only exception was from the guys that did cars. Again, I think it's because they can relate to then better.
What do you think?
What kind of reactions do you get from your wives/girlfriends?
For our female members, how do your husbands/boyfriends react to what you build?
And for extra credit for all, does your spouse also build models?
Just curious.
Thanks,
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:06 AM UTC
Yeah, my wife supports my modeling ambitions but it is not so that she is overwhelmed in what I do, until ... I painted my first fig's.

Now she is reading my books on how to paint figurines and my Shep Paines "How to build dioramas" book. She is very in to the shadowboxes now and, to be honest I am hoping that she will start with the fig's since I hate doing them.

It would be nice, we could be the Modeling family instead of the singing Von Trap family (my son and daughter recently started modeling too)
#:-)
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
entire network: 762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 218 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:07 AM UTC
Well, consider yourself lucky, you atleast get some reaction over your work... I don't, besides from the usual "Oh no, not another kit..." I guess she think it's a pain in the *** and take up shelf-space...
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:11 AM UTC
My wifes reaction is very even keeled if anything at all. I display my dios and kits around the house so she does see the finished products. I get a 'nice job'. I know that she turns around and brags to friends a relatives 'yea, he scratch built those trees.' or 'he paints eyeballs on plastic heads the size of peas.'
I do armor and AC and agree that she can't relate to it that well. To her the tank is foreign and she wouldn't know the difference between an M1 and M48. Big green machines with big guns.
She reacts more to fact that I actually FINISHED a dio!
My kids give me a more energetic response.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:44 AM UTC
My wife enjoys my hobby to some extent. She could give a rat's @ss about the vehicles, but enjoys the figures.

She gives good advice about the quality of finish (too toylike, he looks like the undead!, oh, that's nice).

She has some favorites of the things I've finished, and they are those with figures. I show her impressive figures out of magazines, and it's interesting that her (and other 'naive' observers) don't like the exaggerated shading that is popular with many figure modellers.

I have to say I get a raised eyebrow to the boxes of kits arriving, and then going into the closet of too many kits, but overall she's very supportive.

Cheers
Andy
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 02:25 AM UTC
My wife is almost always very supportive. She helps at the club's annual contest and will, well, rarely, accompany me to another club's event. That's okay. It's a;ways a nice day out woth the guys. When I went to the nationals, she gave me cash, said there was a certain amount from the ATM and not to worry about using the credit card . She, as with most wives noted, is not overly impressed with most armor kits, but she did comment on my Scud launcher, "Wow, that's big!" She has learned what is a good model and what is not. At shows, she'll say things like, "That's pretty good, isn't it?" or "That one's not that great, is it?" Last night, I had packed my gladiators to bring to the club meeting, she looked at them and volunteered she thought the painting was pretty good on them. :-) She'll sometimes ask what I'm working on. As to reading my books, building or painting, not a chance. I'm pretty lucky, overall. Yep, guess I'll keep her. :-)
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 03:11 AM UTC
My wife is very supportive. She doesn't get into the details of it, but she's happy that I have a good 'clean' hobby, and she knows where I am 99.9% of the time. It could be alot worse, and she is well aware of that. I do keep my hobby spending to a minimum, but she lets me get what I want and when I want it. I don't hide anything from her.

Yep, I'll keep her around as well... been married to her for almost 24 years.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 03:24 AM UTC
I'm lucky too. Over the last nine years she's grown from polite indifference, to someone who can judge an armor vehicle model as well as I can. She picks out most of the subjects I build now. She encouraged me to go into business and create my website. Most of the time she acts like my agent - and most of the time I use her as my agent. I really don't ask for anything for the B-Day and XMAS because she already knows what I want. The reason why I have 8 out of the 10 Hunnicutt books today is because of her. She knows my inventory pretty well - can't slip anything past her for long.

Most importantly, she keeps me grounded - after all this is only a hobby and supposed to be fun.

Gunnie
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My wife is very supportive. She doesn't get into the details of it, but she's happy that I have a good 'clean' hobby, and she knows where I am 99.9% of the time. It could be alot worse, and she is well aware of that. I do keep my hobby spending to a minimum, but she lets me get what I want and when I want it. I don't hide anything from her.

About the same here. Usually if there's a good sale she'll say, "Why don't you pick up one or two of those?"
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 03:55 AM UTC
Because I am not married, I will replace 'spouse' with the word 'parents' in my case...
I think they realized modelbuilding was going to be a permanent hobby of mine when I got my first airbrush. At the time, I only had five or six kits. For the next six kits I bought they figured I was just putting them aside for a rainy day. After all, Ertl's Star Wars kits are out of production and should be bought when I see 'em, right?
When I finished my M41, they were impressed. If I talked to my brother, he made a comment on how my mother had said I've just built an impressive model.
At that point I had 25 unbuilt kits.
Now, I have 39.
My parents think this is a good hobby for me. They think I'm good at it, and take interest in what I'm doing... even if it does cause my mom to say, "That's wonderful!... What is it?"

They both know that I have enough kits to last me a while, and that's why I've pledged not to buy any more kits for a little bit. (resin detail sets for that Colonial Viper, on the other hand, are not kits!) #:-)

YodaMan
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC
I will also replace spouse with parents. My parents like the models I build, and are interested in the history behind them, but I get the impression that they think I spend too much time and money with it. I try to keep the amount of models I have down to please them (and, of course, to keep some money in my wallet ). My grandparents, frankly, seem more supportive than my parents.

Nic
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 05:05 AM UTC
My Wife is pretty supportive and seems to like the figures more than the armor I use to do. To her the figures are all pretty much the same as far the history goes, but I like having her look at my work and tell me what she thinks real or doesn't look real. I've got to improve my eye painting skills on my 120MM (and larger) figures to win her full approval.
She has, however, started hiding packages that arrive for me via UPS ....

Nate
Wisc. USA
Marty
Visit this Community
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 05:27 AM UTC
My wife could care less abut the "hardware". She says it is there to collect dust. Being a photographer, she mainly enjoys dioramas and vignettes. It must be that "moment frozen in time thing". Before we had kids I used to take her to all the local model shows and we often talked about which dioramas we liked and disliked and what we would have done differently had it been one of my dios.
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 05:46 AM UTC
I wouldn't go so far to say that my wife is supportive but she prefers that I do this rather than my past hobbies (which being a squaddie involved beer, beer and er..... beer.) She says at least this way I'm at home. Every so often a parcel arrives and there is a suprise kit inside for me.
The only comment she really makes is "why are they these dark colours? Why don't you do a nice bright one?" I've tried to explain the basics of camoflague but it is a lost cause.
I can"t complain about my wife I suppose, she is the only one I"ve got................
for now! :-)

Robbo
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 06:23 AM UTC
If it keeps me out of the pub she loves it ,If i buy another kit i get the oh well look when i wanted an air brush and compressor the look is definatley S.S. Obergruppenfurher. her favourite expression is that Little girls grow up to be ladies little boys grow up to be little boys. she loves me really
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 06:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only comment she really makes is "why are they these dark colours? Why don't you do a nice bright one?" I've tried to explain the basics of camoflague but it is a lost cause.

Robbo

Now you have to get her to sit with you during History and Discovery shows on the topic of camoflage! Or you could do the occasional Tiger Meet aircraft, some flocage style 1940 camo, a Napoleonic chasseur or hussar figure, a race car, maybe like Benneton's F1 cars from the late 1980's.
Nailz
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 06:48 AM UTC
My wife is pretty ambivelent about the whole thing. Even if I think I have done a terrible job, she always says something nice. She comments mostly on the size of the models, if she thinks they are really big or seem to be extra small. She lets me get most of the things I want and doesn't complain about my workspace looking like I just tossed a grenade in the room. Gotta love her for that!
Kaboom
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 06:52 AM UTC
My wife is pretty supportive. She'll even bring home a kit once in a while. I get comments that range from, "that looks good" to "I hope you're not finished because that paint looks like
s*%t". She was in the Army for 10 yrs. so she knows most of the modern US armor. Quite frankly though my boys are far more excited when I finish a kit.

Mark
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 07:01 PM UTC
My wife loved it when we were dating....then hated it when we said "I do"
My girlfriend likes them and shows a lot of interest in them. Do yo need to ask who I'm with?
It's good to hear some of the postssay that their family is all building models. As a long time pesident of our local IPMS club I started a Family Trophy catagory atur annual show. The 1st year there was 1 entry.....but now we have quite a few every year and I love handing the trophy over to a proud family. I think this should be a trend to be added to all competitions maybe?
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 10:50 PM UTC
My ole lady as I will call her cause I am not married to her yet ,just been with her for 2 years straight but 4 total is how would say this indifferent to my modeling. I have taken the entire master bedroom in the house for myself and thinking of taking the other bedroom too to put my Fossils in their and have a pool table in the model room. But to subject she could take them or leave them but if a sale is on she will gladley go with me to buy some. (:-)
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 01:06 AM UTC
My girlfriend buys most of my kits!! Ha ha.......... she travels around the world a lot so she picks up kits which she thinks is nice from various country....... If there is a specific kit i want i would tell her the description/model no. and she would keep a lookout for them....... however she refuses to buy more for me unless i finish most them first........
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 08:31 AM UTC
My wife couldn't care less about the hobby, and I thought she didn't much care about my projects. But, the last one I did, she actually made a comment on as I was walking through the family room to set it on a bookshelf. She looked it over and said, "you know, I think that's your best one yet". It floored me. Then it made me want to do better the next time. I don't really care that she doesn't know military weapon systems, but it is a real lift when she appreciates the craft that goes into making one.

Mike

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 11:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wouldn't go so far to say that my wife is supportive but she prefers that I do this rather than my past hobbies (which being a squaddie involved beer, beer and er..... beer.) She says at least this way I'm at home. Every so often a parcel arrives and there is a suprise kit inside for me.
I can"t complain about my wife I suppose, she is the only one I"ve got................
for now! :-)

Robbo

LOL ! Robbo, are you sure we're not married to the same wife ? I could have written the exact same reply : my wife also thinks nothing much of modeling but she says it beats hobbies that involve alcohol and being away at nights. And about the colors, I think you quote her exact words !
It's a good thing she's gone to sleep already, so she hasn't read this post !
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 12:04 PM UTC
My wife has no interest at all in the models. I have a sideline that generats a modest amount of cash which I spend on my kits and modeling supplies. So as long as I'm not dipping into the family income, she's fine with the hobby.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 12:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a sideline that generats a modest amount of cash which I spend on my kits and modeling supplies. So as long as I'm not dipping into the family income, she's fine with the hobby.

Good Grief ! Yagdpanzer, you're only around for a month and you render us all speachless ! ROFL ! You have my vote as member of the year !
 _GOTOTOP