TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
LOTR: The Two Towers
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 07:50 AM UTC
I don't know if anyone else here is a Lord of the Rings fan, but....
The first theatrical trailer for The Two Towers has been released!!! Now downloading the 40mb file at 70 k/s... (ooh, now downloading at 75 k/s. I love DSL!!!)

I'd never read any of the books before I saw The Fellowship of the Ring in the theater, but I'm reading the books now! :-) I'm only about halfway through 'Fellowship'... Anyway, I thought the first one was an awesome movie, and the sequel looks to be astonishing! See the trailer at Lord of the Rings.net

YodaMan
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 07:58 AM UTC
Yoda:

I just saw the trailer last night---Awesome, Absolutely Awesome!!! I can't wait. I'm hoping "Towers" will surpass the first flick. Great music, great cinematography, and the classic story line, good versus evil.

ps: Looks the Fellowship could use a couple of M60's in that battle sequence!!! :-) :-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 08:20 AM UTC
It looks to be very cool! The first still has us impatiently awaiting the The TT, and I'm sure this part will have us waiting for the finale. :-)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 08:35 AM UTC
Indeed part two looks awesome. I wish I had the books before watching movies. Oh, well.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 08:35 AM UTC
I had already seen the advanced preview on the FOTR DVD, but this trailer is cool too. They may be giving away a little more than I would have liked to see though. Sometimes I really hate trailers for spoiling surprises (like the Rider in White).

YM...70 kb sec...wait till the day you see 400 kb sec. That was a particularly exilerating moment for me back in 1999. 100mb game demo in a flash.

Cheers,
Jim
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 09:15 AM UTC
Man, that is one sweet trailer! I'm even more excited to see the movie now! Was it me or was there a brief shot of possibly Treebeard picking up one of the hobbits? You didn't see the face but definetley the lower legs and arms.
TimberWolf
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:11 AM UTC
I cant wait either :-) The fist movie was great also
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 10:27 AM UTC
Bryan, that most certainly looks like Treebeard! If you just pause iand rewind a frame or two back, you'll see him grab the Hobbit. Way too cool!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 11:48 AM UTC
I read the books about 20 years ago and I read them again last year before the release of the movie. When I was a student, I toyed around with trying to decipher the Quenya language. Today, there's whole websites on that topic ! I even considered buying a LOTR replica gold ring last year. They were quite expensive and finally faith decided : they were no longer available in my size. My wife wasn't too hot on the idea either, even if she didn't know the price.
I look forward to the sequel. I hope they play the first movie again, a few weeks before number 2 gets out. I saw the first 2 Star Wars movies on the same night the Revenge of the Jedi came out. Whew ! That was one movie night I'll never forget !
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 12:45 PM UTC
I'm counting the days 'til January....

Can't wait to see the Rohirrim, the Ents, and the mother of all battles (second to Gondor of course) at Helm's Deep. Tick, tock, tick, tock.... #:-)
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 06:50 PM UTC
I have seen the trailer some time ago in the cinema and it took my breath away... It was wonderfull.. :-) :-) Now I can't wait for the movie..

BTW, there is a Divix version of the TT available on the CD (on the "black" market, of course), but I bet it is of poor quality. I don't even want to think about it... I must see it on the big screen first.

Mario M.
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
entire network: 534 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 06:56 PM UTC
if you all mean about the first part that was realy great i saw it 5 or 6 times. if the second it didn't arived in here. cya
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 07:03 PM UTC
The first one was surprisingly good.
I expect even more from the second one. Two Towers covers the part of the story where the athmosphere will be somewhat darker...
I think the Empire Strikes Back was the best SW film just because the evil was so powerful in that film...I expect the same thing here.

Toni
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ps: Looks the Fellowship could use a couple of M60's in that battle sequence!!!

Either that or they should've laid a minefield!

Quoted Text

YM...70 kb sec...wait till the day you see 400 kb sec. That was a particularly exilerating moment for me back in 1999. 100mb game demo in a flash.

Ooh.... Do you have a T1 line or something? Lucky!!! ::::drool::::

Jan, I've seen the replica rings and I want one. I'm sure there will still be some on eBay a few years from now... though the prices will probably be ridiculous.
I'm all for a re-release of Fellowship before The Two Towers. While Fellowship is still awesome in your home theater, nothing beats seeing it on a 70 foot screen!!! (I'd guess that's about 30 meters? )

Envar, when I stepped into the theater for Fellowship, I had no idea what I was about to see. I was blown away to say the least!! The part that scared the crud out of me happened when Gandalf bends over to pick up the ring in Bilbo's house... BAM! The Eye Of Sauron flashes, for less than a second... My heart rate jumped there!

I could write a dozen paragraphs about why I like LOTR... but to sum it up, I think it's one of the best movies ever. On my list, #2 right behind Star Wars (the series). Great acting, great story, great VFX, great music... I'll definately try to see The Two Towers on opening day!

One more thing; Informal poll: If you had to take on a fighting force of Uruk-hai, who would you want to fighting with you? (you may choose any of the members of The Fellowship)

YodaMan
PS - I'm also impatiently awaiting November 12th for the release of the Special Extended Edition of The Fellowship of the Ring!!!! A half-hour of extra footage!!!!!
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Envar, when I stepped into the theater for Fellowship, I had no idea what I was about to see. I was blown away to say the least!! The part that scared the crud out of me happened when Gandalf bends over to pick up the ring in Bilbo's house... BAM! The Eye Of Sauron flashes, for less than a second... My heart rate jumped there!

Same here Master Yoda. Blood pressure shot up to 130/90 and that ain't normal for me. Bilbo in Rivendell also scared the wits out of me.

Quoted Text

One more thing; Informal poll: If you had to take on a fighting force of Uruk-hai, who would you want to fighting with you? (you may choose any of the members of The Fellowship)

I'd take either Aragorn or Legolas. They have good long range skills to take out a few Uruk-hai while they are rushing towards you. When things get more personal they are equally adept with sword or dagger.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 03:38 PM UTC
Yoda----who would I want next to me in a scrap? -----Strider-----and, (my 12 gauge pump)!!!
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
entire network: 476 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 05, 2002 - 12:04 AM UTC
My favourite scene in TFOTR is when the fellow paddle in the great river, and then they see The two kings standing in the front of a mountain.

My main interest is Figure modeling, but I also model alot on the computer with Bryce and 3Ds Max. So I tried to do that scene, with the music and all... and it worked! But somehow´, someone removed the scenefile... but I got the music left if anybody wants it!
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 04:26 PM UTC
I am currently re-reading the Lord of the Rings, if you thought the movie is good, the book is even more interesting and great. (Seems to be the case, all the times). The Lord of the Rings is truely a classic, I never known a friend that hadn't read this book.

The Two Towers are actually my favourite part of the trilogy, because it involves a lot of battle scenes. Can't wait for the movie to come out. And also the DVDs.

The most favourite part of the Fellowship of the Ring in the movie was while Arwen crossed the river and stand face to face with the dark riders, man, what a scene!
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One more thing; Informal poll: If you had to take on a fighting force of Uruk-hai, who would you want to fighting with you?

I would definitely choose Arwen.
When confronted by the Uruk-Hai, we would run like hell to a small cave nobody knows about and put up a fire. Then we could search each other for wounds.
#:-)

Toni
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 06:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

One more thing; Informal poll: If you had to take on a fighting force of Uruk-hai, who would you want to fighting with you?

I would definitely choose Arwen.
When confronted by the Uruk-Hai, we would run like hell to a small cave nobody knows about and put up a fire. Then we could search each other for wounds.
#:-)

Toni

Toni, Good ONE!!!! Me too, Arwen I shall choose, so I guess I need to fight you first, maybe I should go get one of those dark rider dagger, and stab myself first, so she can tend to my wounds.... #:-) #:-)
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 06:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ooh.... Do you have a T1 line or something? Lucky!!! ::::drool::::

YM - Actually I think it was more like a T3. :-)
But really when you reach speeds like that it's more to do with the server on the other end and it's bandwidth capabilities. That's what's ussually slowing things down now-a-days.

Quoted Text

Easy....Gandalf. Nothing like having a demi-god fighting along side you. For those who have never read the Silmarillion you would have a new-found respect for Gandalf if you knew "what" he was.

Jim
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 06, 2002 - 09:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Easy....Gandalf. Nothing like having a demi-god fighting along side you. For those who have never read the Silmarillion you would have a new-found respect for Gandalf if you knew "what" he was.

Same here... After all Gandalf is one of the few Maia in the Middle earth. As far as I can remember, only three more Maiars were living in the Middle earth (Saruman, Sauron and one more that I forgot, who has a minor role in the story)... As Jim said, they were something like semi-gods, and there is nothing like a god fighting by your side.

My favourite scene from the FOTR is when Gandalf confronted Balrog in the mines of Moria: "You cannot pass."..."I am a servant of the Secret Fire, Wielder of the Flame of Anor, You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go Back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

BTW, Silmarillion is a tough book to read, filled with geneology, weird language and short stories... But there is a beauty in it and it is really worth reading, just to get the feel of things in that wonderfull world of JRR Tolkien.

Mario M.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 05:41 AM UTC
I realized I'd never answered my own poll question!
My fighting partner would be Aragorn. Great swordsmanship, good close range fighter, and he can also use a bow and arrow... Quite formidable!

While the new trailer for TT is cool, I haven't even finished reading Fellowship and I know that Gandalf comes back... (sorry if I just spoiled that for someone!)
I will agree with the others here that the books are well worth reading! Quite the imaginative epic!

I'll say that my favorite part of the first movie is the breaking of the Fellowship. While it may seem strange that it's my favorite, think about it.
Frodo has accepted that he has been chosen the destroy the Ring. We see Sam's willingness to follow Frodo anywhere... Gimli, Legolas, and Aragorn set out together to rescue Merry and Pippin from the savage band of Uruk-hai. This is where the real story, in a sense, begins.

YodaMan
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 05:50 AM UTC
I have always been a firm believer that one should read the book before seeing the movie because most of the time the book is better and you can get a better sense of what is happening in the movie. LOTR is not an exception. I think if you haven't read the books you are missing quite a bit in the movie and don't even realize it. I have tried to convince my wife of this but to no avail...lol!
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 03:06 PM UTC
i have read the Trilogy and seen the movie, i am sorry but i find the movie lacking. the only heroic woman in the story was Eowyn, when she and Merry slew the Witch-king. Glorfindel, not Arwen found Frodo. it was Elrond who caused the rushing river and Gandalf who caused the horse heads. the movie left out Tom Bombadil, a very important character and Saruman was tricked by Sauron, not allied with him. Peter Jackson tells a good story, but he butchers the work of Professor Tolkien

Chris Pig no.1