_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
what do you thin putty with?
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 05:52 PM UTC
I tried thinning putty with amonia but it didn't work. Next I tried liquid cement and it seems to work pretty good. My question is what do you thin putty with? thanks for the help as always.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 06:54 PM UTC
What kind of putty are you using?
For Squadron's, I use Testor's liquid cement. If you use this method, you may need to add more than one coat as the cement makes the putty mix shrink a bit.
Alternively, you could use acetone...be careful with this mix though! Be sure to use in an open air area!

With either mixture, be careful around small parts and or details, as the mixes could distort those little pieces.
sfilak
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 45 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 11:22 PM UTC
Lacquer thinner should also work for both Testor's putty, as well as automotive red putty. As Ken says, this will cause the putty to shrink more when it dries, so you'll have to use more than one coat using this method.

Rather than thinning the putty before applying, I apply putty full strength (but in as small a quantitiy as possible), and then wipe off the excess using a Q-Tip moistened in nail polish remover (Acetone). The end result is that only the gap receives the putty, and usually, no sanding is required. There is a great article over on ARC that illustrates this technique - you'll find it in the Tools N TIps section.

HTH-
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 04:01 AM UTC
You can find a example of how to use nail polish remover (with pictures) on my site, just go tto the Tips section.

screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 05:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lacquer thinner should also work for both Testor's putty, as well as automotive red putty. As Ken says, this will cause the putty to shrink more when it dries, so you'll have to use more than one coat using this method.

Rather than thinning the putty before applying, I apply putty full strength (but in as small a quantitiy as possible), and then wipe off the excess using a Q-Tip moistened in nail polish remover (Acetone). The end result is that only the gap receives the putty, and usually, no sanding is required. There is a great article over on ARC that illustrates this technique - you'll find it in the Tools N TIps section.

HTH-

Yes, the nail polish remover work's great as an alternative to sand paper,
especially when you don't want to harm any of the surrounding detail, that usually
can happen when using sand paper.
As for a thinner I also use either Testors Cement ( in the tube ) or the bottled
liquid cement by Testors. I know this work's well with Squadron Green/White and
Tamiya Putty with the orange top. But there are some putties that I think are
water based and work well with just water for thinning, as which one's
they are I'm not sure.
Steve is right - that ARC site is loaded with great tip's.

- ralph
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HTH-

Yes, the nail polish remover work's great as an alternative to sand paper,
especially when you don't want to harm any of the surrounding detail, that usually
can happen when using sand paper.
As for a thinner I also use either Testors Cement ( in the tube ) or the bottled
liquid cement by Testors. I know this work's well with Squadron Green/White and
Tamiya Putty with the orange top. But there are some putties that I think are
water based and work well with just water for thinning, as which one's
they are I'm not sure.
Steve is right - that ARC site is loaded with great tip's.

- ralph
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 07:35 AM UTC
I have a question why do you or would you need to thin putty. I've seen this stated before and am curious.

Josh Weingarten
Aka shiryon
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 08:15 AM UTC
The reason some thin their putties is to make a smoother or finer filler. It helps to get rid of the air holes that appear when sanding that are sometimes common with putty straight from the tube.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rather than thinning the putty before applying, I apply putty full strength (but in as small a quantitiy as possible), and then wipe off the excess using a Q-Tip moistened in nail polish remover (Acetone). The end result is that only the gap receives the putty, and usually, no sanding is required.

Now you tell me!
I just got done rescribing the details I sanded out while puttying my Corsair... What a pain!
Looks like I'll be stopping in the cosmetics section the next time I'm at Wal*Mart!

YodaMan
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 12:02 AM UTC
i just use plain old lacquer thinner with my tamiya putty and i think it works fine........
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 11:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the explanation fellas, now my life will be a little easier :-)

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 02:49 PM UTC
Thanks for the information all. I asked how to thin and got some great answers, but the information on using nail polish remover is going to save me countless hours in the future. Thanks a ton.
TOMCAT14
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 312 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 07:31 PM UTC

You could produced , your own putty ,using plastic sprues after doing Your models , cut the sprues on small parts , put them to glass small pot , and the Nitro thinner ( maybe laquer thinner ) help to disolve the plastic , is very cheap method for own Putty .

To all's puttyies like Testors , Humbrol, Tamiya I use also Nitro Thinner ( In Poland we named all hard thinners like that) , use small brush with thinner , "wet " in putty You could gently take care of any hols and unequal parts .

Best Regards
 _GOTOTOP