Discuss general weathering topics here.
Need help for realistic rust
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 02:57 AM UTC
What paints/ methods do you guys use for rust in your model projects?? I have tried a certain number of acrylic paints but none of them turned out realistic enough....... Any suggestions?
Mickjl
Visit this Community
Australia
entire network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 03:35 AM UTC
try using the real thing. find something rusty and sand it. use the sanded off material with a small mixture of thinner or water and use it as a wash. OR simply rub the sanded off rust material into the model.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 03:43 AM UTC
Great idea Mickjl! BTW: Welcome aboard, you too Basturk!

Basturk, that method works the best for simulating rust. Paints tend to give the rust too much of an orange or red look. The rust "dust" can be mixed with clear flat for simulating a heavy rust too.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2002 - 03:53 AM UTC
If you are trying to make a large area rusty, like a muffler, for example, I would recommend a product called Instant Rust. It can be found at craft stores, but I can't say whether it would be available in Singapore.
What you do is buy a set with Instant Iron and Instant Rust. Paint the Instant Iron on first, then cover it in Instant Rust. In an hour, you have real rust.

Nic
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:51 AM UTC
Hey thanks for all the great suggestions guys!!! Not sure if i could find instant rust in my country though......Haha
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:37 AM UTC
Mickjl has the latest idea. Use rust! Use it like pastels. I just read that idea in Ken's White Out article. Excallent idea guys!

I have used pastels in the past, I scape off a number of different color combos to get the right mix. Then I add water for a wash. I add the wash to the area affected, then go back with dust and dust in some texture.
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 485 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 02:58 PM UTC
A few years ago wwhile working for Synergy Dio Products, one of my "bosses" showed me how to do rust with pastels...I took it a few steps further and here are some of the results.
Use a burnt sienna pastel and an orange one....I don't scrape it on sand paper like I see a lot of people doing....this wrecks your brushes and isn't very fine....I just rub a small spot on a piece of paper until you have a small pile....you can do a burnt sienna and an orange pile side by side and mix them right on the paper. Now use a brush and scrub your "rust" on the area you want it to be...looks good so far.....now comes the 1st step I accidentally found....take a dullcote.....I use Testors....test it 1st...had some go bad on me recently....not good!!!.....Now give a short burst of dullcote over top of your model so it comes down and settles on the rust.....this gives you a blotchey kind of look, very much like real rust.
Now you can mix this pastel chalk in water and run it into crevices....once the water dries you are left with rust like on the real thing where water sits.
For larger areas of rust.....Mufflers....Burnt out vehicles and the like...cover the area with the pastel and then cover with dullcote....this changes the colour slightly....now add more orange chalk to your burnt sienna and add it over the darker colours in a few places and spray it with dullcote again......repeat this until you get the effect you are most pleased with.
I hope this helps you. #:-)
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 05:07 PM UTC
Hey Dioman,

Sounds good
Doe you have a few pictures to show us?
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 02:38 PM UTC
Yes I do.....look in the dioramas album....mine is titled Grant McIntosh.....hope you can see it well enough.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A few years ago wwhile working for Synergy Dio Products, one of my "bosses" showed me how to do rust with pastels...I took it a few steps further and here are some of the results.
Use a burnt sienna pastel and an orange one....I don't scrape it on sand paper like I see a lot of people doing....this wrecks your brushes and isn't very fine....I just rub a small spot on a piece of paper until you have a small pile....you can do a burnt sienna and an orange pile side by side and mix them right on the paper. Now use a brush and scrub your "rust" on the area you want it to be...looks good so far.....now comes the 1st step I accidentally found....take a dullcote.....I use Testors....test it 1st...had some go bad on me recently....not good!!!.....Now give a short burst of dullcote over top of your model so it comes down and settles on the rust.....this gives you a blotchey kind of look, very much like real rust.
Now you can mix this pastel chalk in water and run it into crevices....once the water dries you are left with rust like on the real thing where water sits.
For larger areas of rust.....Mufflers....Burnt out vehicles and the like...cover the area with the pastel and then cover with dullcote....this changes the colour slightly....now add more orange chalk to your burnt sienna and add it over the darker colours in a few places and spray it with dullcote again......repeat this until you get the effect you are most pleased with.
I hope this helps you. #:-)

My own method (seen at a model show) comes very close to this: first paint with orange / brown paint. Then apply bits of brown/rust/red pastel powder (scraped off pastel pencil or stick) onto the WET paint with a brush. Let dry : the pastel wil dry into the paint.
I did not try with the dullcote, but the result must be about the same. The end result looks almost more real than real rust !
Jan
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 12:21 AM UTC
Yes...it sounds very much the same but I found that just using the pastels over the matt finish paint looks a lot more natural...painting a patch of rust coloured paint and then using the pastels over that never looked right to me....I would like to see pictures of your results to see if maybe I was doing something wrong. I never thought of doing it over wet paint....and using acrylics that dry so quickly....this might not be an option.
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2002 - 12:14 AM UTC
Hi dioman ive looked at your pictures and the dio is wonderful. I did not however seem to be able to locate the rust that you mentioned. Can you point out where it is? I would really like to see the results from the idea that you gave......... Thanks.
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 06:45 AM UTC
OK....for some reason I can't get in to see what pics have rust on them anymore....the configuration proccess is beyond me.....I'll try to remember what's there.
There are 3 albums titled "Grant McIntosh"....in 1 there is a Sherman with a 105mm gun on it going past a ruined windmill.....the close-up of the tank is a good one.
In one of the other albums there's a Sherman Firefly.....the added on tracks for extra armour is a good application of pastel rust.
In another one there is a top view of a bren gun carrier......check out the cable on the front as well as different spots on the vehicle itself.
I have no idea how to get into the galleries anymore....I'm a modeller....not a computer wizzard!!! #:-)
basturk
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 - 07:21 PM UTC
Thanks dioman........ but like you im no computer expert as well and cant get access into the gallery.....
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 04, 2002 - 07:39 PM UTC
Try going into the galleries again...I just tried and can get into them again....maybe too many people couldn't do it like us....there is a God of Modelling!!!
penkala
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 214 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 11:33 PM UTC
Hey

I had the most stragest experience with rust !!!!:

I started on my new taiya M4A3 Sherman (really great kit) and I washed the parts with water and soap (so that parts weren't so greasy any more!). I dried the parts with a towel and than I spray painted the parts with an olive drab tamya spray. I went downstairs and ate an sandwich because the parts had to dry and when i came back in the deeper areas on the parts were ORANGE KINDA SPOTS and it is just like rust!!!... Whattha.......huh......!!!! My father told me it was some kind of chemical reaction between the soap and the paint!!! :|:|:| ....huh..... first i hated it and i wanted to re-paint i but it looks really ok now!!!! :-) :-) :-)

Does any of u had this experience (as soon as i have a dig. camera ill show u the pics)

Daan
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 12:37 AM UTC
i use rust-all form the states i rust anything, it realy does i did the paper est my self. word of caution seal acrylics first the alcohol in the rust-all will eat the paint off. stug

stevus Khan
pig23
Der Sonntag Bund
Torgut
Visit this Community
Portugal
entire network: 35 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
Using real dust seems an intersting idea. However I'm wondering if the effect won't age... I mean, how will real dust behave and how will it look, let's say, within 5 years or so... ?
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 06:47 AM UTC
I found these tip's below on the internet last year. I never found out who the author of them was, but they work great ! especially the tip for crumbling rust. You can also use fine railroad ballast or "smashed down kitty litter " instead of the baking soda.
READ ON:
- To simulate rust you can paint it directly on, but that doesn't look quite right. A better method is to paint the rust color first, let dry, then paint the body color over it. while the body color is still wet, wipe or scratch off the paint and the rust will show through.
- Or you can wait for the body color to dry, then lightly sand it with fine paper until the rust shows through. This is a very realistic effect.

- For crusty, crumbling rust, glue baking soda to the rusty area first with super glue, then paint the rust color.

- For another effect, using oil paint, scratch on some rust marks with the end of a piece of wire or and old knife blade. Use Raw Umber or Burnt Sienna. Now for the cool part: Very lightly feather the paint downward with a wide artists brush. Make sure the brush is completely dry with no thinner or spirits on it. It will look exactly like streaked rust-the kind you see if something has been in the elements for a long time. Hope you find this helpful. Good luck.

( AUTHOR OF TIP'S UNKNOWN )
- ralph
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 112 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 08:18 PM UTC
my method:
# for heavy rust like mufflers or wreckages i take the finest steel wire, put it into a cup of water and after three days the water has evaporated. with a magnetic screw driver i filter out the remaining steel wire parts. the rest is fine rust sand, which i dilute with dull cote and turpentine. this mixture is applied onto the model parts by means of a brush.
# fine rust is made of dry colour pigments that can be bought in artist shops. here is an online shop: http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 117 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 05:03 PM UTC
How about using good old baking soda, I'm pretty sure it and acrylic works, I've been doing it for years with Tamiya acrylics and Arm & Hammer. It looks good on the mufflers and heat stressed areas. An added benefit is that after it dries hard you can go back and dry brush with a lighter color of the original. Hope this helps.
 _GOTOTOP