_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Doing inventory
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 05:59 AM UTC
Well, I have finally realized why my wife gives me that "I can't believe you are buying another model" look every time I pick up something at my local hobby store. Yes, I did inventory of all my unbuilt models today and the grand total is 267. Ouch! I guess I suffer from the "gotta have" syndrome. #:-) I just gotta have this and that. Now I must focus more on building and less on buying.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 06:22 AM UTC
Good luck, Marty, you're gonna need it

Nic
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 08:36 AM UTC
Yesterday I went thru my warehouse(walkin closet) under the watchful eye of my Wife.
I have slightly over 1100+ unbuilt kits .
Later on that evening, a neighbor asked me if I wanted some kits that he didn't want anymore. Of course, I said "sure".
My Wifes watchful gaze turned into the "look"!
It's not that she doesn't support my hobby, she just wishes we had more room.
I believe I am lucky in the fact that she has never uttered the words "Don't you have enough?"

What a gal I married!!
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 1,958 Posts
KitMaker Network: 720 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:11 AM UTC
Well I counted 55 unbuilt models and I think it´s time to build them and stop to buy (buy just what I really wanna, weird isn´t it? #:-) ).
And I think I´ll have to have two lives to finish them all
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:12 AM UTC
lambertjr,

My hat comes off to you. I thought 260+ kits was a lot but 1100+ is amazing. You could open up your own hobby store with that inventory :-). You know I just can't help it, if I see something I like I buy it (if it is not too much $$ that is).
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 616 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:20 AM UTC
Seems that we all suffer from the same sickness. I too have far more kits than I will ever built at the rate that I now produce finished models. I just enjoy the hobby and the thrill of getting that new kit that I will someday build. I just hope I live long enough to see "Someday" :-)
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:44 AM UTC
I'm truly impressed.
My current total is .......
3 partially built kits
2 kits untouched
2 in the mail.

As I stated before in another post, I'll take good care of your unbuilt kits if you would like to donate them....to me...

I wonder what your oldest kit is????

John
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:06 AM UTC
My oldest kit is, without a doubt, the ESCI "Red Devil" Assault Team. This kit has to be at least 20 year old. Yes, it is still unbuilt. What am I waiting for? :-)
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

lambertjr,

My hat comes off to you. I thought 260+ kits was a lot but 1100+ is amazing. You could open up your own hobby store with that inventory :-). You know I just can't help it, if I see something I like I buy it (if it is not too much $$ that is).

The vast majority of my kits came from a hobby shop that went out of buisness.
The owners wife was a friend of my Mom. He gave me a $0.25 to the dollar buy out price.
I made out like a pirate!
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 11:35 AM UTC
Whew.. I am glad not to have the most unbuilt kits.. 1100+ is quite an impressive number.
At this point I am worried that when we move to a house, and I have a 'hobby room' my wife will see all the kits in one place!

In the bedroom closet 50-75 plus or minus a few
At the folding table alongside the bed about 20
On the bookshelf 5ft tall 6ft long at the bottom of the stairs another 30 or so
In boxes in my son's closet maybe another 40
In boxes out over the garage in storage 150+
4-5 stored in the classroom at school
In the mail as of tonight another 15

But I did build 2/3 of a Tamiya 1/72 Corsair and 1/3 of a DML 1/72 Arado 234 tonight and finished 4-5 planes this past month, if that counts.

mike
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,560 Posts
KitMaker Network: 344 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 11:47 AM UTC
I am clearly in the minority here:
1 at infant stages of construction
1 unbuilt under the desk

If any of you feel the need to donate kits I'll be happy to furnish you with my address...lol!
clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 774 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 11:56 AM UTC
My numbers are probably fairly typical; I have 102 unbuilt kits plus another 59 figure sets of one type or another. I also have 14 photo/etch sets just waiting to meet their plastic kit. When every anyone says "Gee, that's a lot of models" I have a great excuse, I actually did own a hobby shop at one time.

I also have 87 finished models or dioramas on the shelf so I do have a somewhat rough balance between built and unbuilt :-)

Rick Cooper
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 04:11 PM UTC
One on the workbench, three in the box. Plus two packs of figures.
These should keep me occupied for months, they´re all east european kits so they will need a lot of work! :-)

Toni
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 04:27 PM UTC
I have about 20 unbuilt kits and about 6 of them are sets of figures. This for me is the max. I had about 30 unbuilt before the summer and wasnt happy that I had so many to build so I tackled about 10 of them over that last 3 months and now Im stuck with lots of little painting bits. I actually walk past kits that "I want", because I have some still to build.
I have about 20 kits built and another 10 in progress.
This is a summary of about 15 months work.

But one thing I do understand is the feeling of buying that new kit and bringing it home to just open it up and look at every detail on nearly every single piece on the sprues and then leave it on the shelf. We´re all off our heads! #:-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 04:38 PM UTC
Had came back to this hobby for amout 7 months now, had accumulated 10 built kits (was a fast builder in the beginning, but now takes about one and half month to get one done). I have approximately 20 accumulated (Don't know the actual number, because I store the kits in the hobby shop so my girl friend won't bug me about it) kits along with all the PEs for it, and have one on the work bench.

Now while we are at it, I just want to know besides accumulate kits, I also accumulate tools, eg. different tweezers, cutters, etc, etc. Is this also a common thing among us modellers or it's just me being extremely spending compulsive?
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 04:39 PM UTC
I have NO unbuilt kits. (only one half-built). That's one of the main advantages of scratchbuilding !

However, I have miles of plastic sheeting in all thickness and texture; rods, strips tubes and profiles in plastic and metal, all sorts of wire, and an almost infinite collection of odds and ends. At least 200 sprues with leftover parts of old and abandoned plastic kts.
There's a whole cupboard filled with PU resins, polyesters, silicones and assorted chemicals, the almost complete range of Tamya paint.

When she sees my collection of tools my wife wonders if I have the intention to become a jeweller and a dentist at the same time.

In general, she refers to all this as "junk".
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 04:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have NO unbuilt kits. (only one half-built). That's one of the main advantages of scratchbuilding !

However, I have miles of plastic sheeting in all thickness and texture; rods, strips tubes and profiles in plastic and metal, all sorts of wire, and an almost infinite collection of odds and ends. At least 200 sprues with leftover parts of old and abandoned plastic kts.
There's a whole cupboard filled with PU resins, polyesters, silicones and assorted chemicals, the almost complete range of Tamya paint.

When she sees my collection of tools my wife wonders if I have the intention to become a jeweller and a dentist at the same time.

In general, she refers to all this as "junk".

Hey General, took me 5 minutes to get your signature line, very funny!!! :-) :-) :-)
bytepilot
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
entire network: 381 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 08:06 PM UTC
Well, to throw my hat in the ring here !!!!

Total no of Kits : 54
Aircraft : 1/28(1), 1/48(24), 1/72(17) for a total of 42.
Armor : 1/35(6), 1/72(6) (Yep, definitely not a Treadhead !)

Still waiting for 9 A/c kits off Ebay to be smuggled into the house, without wifey dearest knowing about it.

Currently facing the music, like :
'Where the hell are you gonna keep all that stuff once you are done?'
'Why are you spending money on that crappy plastic, instead of getting me that dress/jewellery/perfume/etc.?'
'Can't you come to bed at a decent hour?'
'Have you taken a look at your credit card statement lately?'
'You'd better take a bath before you sleep; you stink like a barrel of thinner!'

and so on, and so forth.... #:-)

Rgds,
BP.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 08:14 PM UTC
Goosh 1100 that is a lot. God 200 that I have are taking up enough room now the hobby shop that I visit has 2000 for himself. But it is who owns most kits at the end wins right
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 08:46 PM UTC
Off the top of my head, my oldest unbuilt kit is a Tamiya LRDG Chevrolet I bought somewhere around 1980. Maybe I'll get around to building it to display with my Academy M-3 Honey when I build that. #:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:13 PM UTC
Wow, How frustrating is that??? #:-) 1100 kits/200 kits - walk in that closet and I'd get depressed that I'd never be able to build them all.

I've got 21 main kits unbuilt on the shelf. I have another 12 or so supporting figure kits, another 5 accessory ktis and another 4 dio building kits on the shelf. I have two kits on the workbench and a dio on the bench.
I've got about 4 on the wish list to add to the 21.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 09:25 PM UTC
Well, I probably have 70-80 unbuilt kits with probably another 70 figure/weapon sets. Also have a slew of conversions and about a ton of PE. I must have 200 bottles of paint. (My wife says that I have more paint than she does nail polish colors.)

I have stopped buying (for the most part), at least kits that would take me +/- a year to build.

Lots of tools etc...

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My oldest kit is, without a doubt, the ESCI "Red Devil" Assault Team. This kit has to be at least 20 year old. Yes, it is still unbuilt. What am I waiting for?

Oh man, I just love to get my hands on that kit.... I just love that one.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My oldest kit is, without a doubt, the ESCI "Red Devil" Assault Team. This kit has to be at least 20 year old. Yes, it is still unbuilt. What am I waiting for?

Oh man, I just love to get my hands on that kit.... I just love that one.

BTW :

Just two partially built kits on the shelf.......sorry
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 02, 2002 - 10:10 PM UTC
Okay Pretty simple here, 4 unbuilt tanks, And at least Seven A/C on the shelfs,
Just about completed one with frustration to spare. i.e. See forum page. With another lined up to be started this week. So I try not to over do myself....Though I can think of about 6 to 8 more kits that I would love to have.

DAGGER-1
 _GOTOTOP